Ginger & Juice - Jack's Abby Brewing

Ginger & JuiceGinger & Juice

Jack's Abby Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.00% ABV

Ginger & Juice combines pureed ginger, grapefruit juice and peel, buckwheat and a secret proprietary hop strain to create an intriguingly spiced and hopped lager. Aromas of citrus, melon, and ginger balance a firm bitterness. Uses locally grown buckwheat from MA. Lay back, sip on Ginger & Juice.

(Beer added by: PeterIngemi on 07-26-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ginger & Juice Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Big thanks to Rob1110 for sending this my way.

Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange with a fluffy white head. Smells of ginger (shocking!) as well as some other spices and citrus as well as a bit of sweetness. The first flavor I notice is ginger, but isn't nearly as much ginger as I thought it might be after the smell. It's also got a nice hoppy bitterness to it, and some orange peel as well. Finish is clean and slightly grainy (yay lagers!). Mouthfeel is light-to-medium-bodied and very refreshing with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a really different blend of flavors that works quite well. It's not something I'd want to drink every day, but it's a interesting, unique experiment and another hit from Jack's Abby.

starrdogg, Aug 05, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

DelicateDelirium, Jan 13, 2013
3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appears gold in color. Slight haze to it. Its white head is one-finger in size.

I smell ginger, cracker malt, earthy hops and faint citrus once it warms up.

I taste the cracker-like malt up front with ginger spiciness sitting on top. There's just a kiss of grapefruit on the finish along with a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel is appropriate.

This is enjoyable, but maybe I've come to expect too much from JA as they usually impress me a ton. I wish the hop profile was more pronounced, especially since the label says "highly hopped!" and I know what they're capable of with H.U.

It's a nice drinker, I just wish the hops came as advertised and the volume was turned up a little. Boy I sound American don't I?

jbertsch, Aug 09, 2012

WesM63, Sep 02, 2014

Dizzy242, Aug 27, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

July 2012

A: Clean and clear, light-golden in color, with a big, soapy, foamy, white head that leaves behind a ton of lace and good retention.

S: Spicy, hoppy, and yeasty. Grass, hay, citrus, and ginger. Intriguing.

T: Very unique. You get all the flavors as expected. Big, juicy, fruity hops up front, followed by very pleasant ginger flavor, all finished with the smoothness of a lager. The right amount of spice and ginger really make this beer stand out. The hops are fresh and bursting with flavor.

M: Seriously drinkable, enjoyable, and delicious. Not one flavor overpowers, rather, all of them come together to make a very balanced and unique brew.

O: This scores big with me because it's unique and it's well-crafted. You get all the ingredients in the nose and in the taste. One hell of an interesting beer. Highly recommended.

Gatch, Sep 05, 2012

standardcherry, Aug 30, 2012

Tschnab, Jan 23, 2013

Horbar, Aug 06, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

pint bottle served in a snifter.

pours a golden-yellow tone with a touch of haze while yielding a 1"+ foamy white head; decent retention and lacing. nose is headlined by a prevailing ginger presence while flanked by notes of citric hoppiness and a touch of malt.

flavor follows the aroma with ginger leading the way followed by that citrus hoppiness and secondary notes of malt and some herbal hops. medium-light bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, not an uber-flavorful world-beater, but relatively tasty and refreshing; very solid beer just nothing that will blow you away. slightly better on paper (what i anticipated) than in practice, but definitely worth a try.

BostonHops, Aug 14, 2012

WoostaBia, Sep 04, 2014

Oidmoe, Aug 24, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

aorloski, Jan 17, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

wdarcy77, Aug 06, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

A little suprised at myself that this is my first Jack's Abby review. I've been enjoying their beer quite a bit over the last few months, but I guess this is the first one I've taken the time to review I guess.

Got a growler and spit it with my wife over the afternoon and into the evening on a night off from work. Poured it into 22 oz. Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Comes out golden in color with a nice yellow glow when held up to the light. Looks hazy, not as filtered as many of their other offerings. Nice white colored head that comes up after a reasonably aggressive pour and provides decent lacing. Pretty good looking beer.

I really have a tough time with these beers aromas, this isn't really an exception either. It smells better than I would expect based on the fact that it's a strong wheat aroma (which really isn't my style) but it's not bad, better than the average I would say. Citrus (mostly grapefruit) zest, and hints of ginger and melon as well. Again a strong amount of wheat, a little less and I'd like it more. All the "herbs and spices" kind of overpower everything else.

Taste is better than the smell. Strong amounts of Ginger and hints of grapefruit zest. The grapefruit kind of makes it seem like an overhopped wheat beer, but it's really more than that. There's a generous amounts of fruit in general. The combination of grapefruit and ripe melon really mesh well with the ginger. Again there is a large wheat backbone on it kind of holding it together, I think I'd like it a little better if they went a different route with that, but it's not bad.

Mouthfeel is good, I generally don't like this part in these styles but this one isn't bad. Cleaner and smoother than I would expect. Good carbonation level, and well balanced. The Ginger and grapefruit give this a cleaner than you'd expect finish. Overall a good beer, not one I'd get regularly, but a nice summer dinker.

AndyAvalanche, Aug 14, 2012