Mass Rising - Jack's Abby Brewing

Jack's Abby Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: rudzud on 09-07-2013

In the spirit of our local history we are revolting against the status quo. We are writing our own story by fueling the fire surrounding extra hoppy beers. We infuse Mass Rising with increasing amounts of American hops during the kettle, hopbock and dry hopping processes. Together, we have taken a journey to redefine the term 'lager.'
IBUs 100 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mass Rising Alström Bros
Reviews: 165 | Hads: 1,358

This is really good beer, pick up a sixer if you can get it. It has the hoppiness of a good IPA but it's significantly smoother. It doesn't have that biting astringincey. Really well balanced, just a hint of sweetness. Remarkably drinkable at 8%. (246 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +17.1%

One left in the store, love Jacks abby beers and heard this was hoppy so i'll happily give this a shot.

A: inch of head on top, micro bubbles flowing to the top. Beautiful lacing. Golden color, pretty light and clear. Beautiful lager.

S: smells fantastic, very citrus, grapefruit, orange, some citrus zest, floral and tropical notes. Sweet malt biscuit in the finish.

T: some sweet hops up front, citrus comes through, a lot of grapefruit. Floral hops following it up. Giving way to a bitter hop burst and a bitter hop dry finish in the end leaving me wanting more. Malt is just enough there to not make me pucker but hops are very dominant.

M: medium bodied. Light enough i could drink this all day. No hint of the 8% at all. The medium body and the dry finish make for a dangerously drinkable double IPL. Wish it was a little less dry on the finish, but i wouldnt sacrifice hops for less dryness.

O: jacks abby surprises me with every new beer i try from them. Loving this a lot more than the ABCs double IPL, and the kiwi rising i had was old. This beer is fresh and phenominal. The hops really shine through the lager body of their beers and i' m loving em more and more. This should become a year round beer. Fantastic aroma, taste, great body and dangerously drinkable. I already know i want another and i'm only a third of the way in. Gotta find more of these. (1,372 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Picked up a bottle of this at Julio's. This is their new year round DIPL, based off of their 2nd Anniversary Lager. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a wonderful crystal clear light golden hue with a good almost two finger white creamy head that fades to leave sticky side lacing and a creamy, creamy blanket. Very nice.

S - The nose just pops of a waterfall of hop varieties. If this holds true to 2nd Anniversary, and my nose is not lying, its lovely Citra, Apollo, Simcoe, Amarillo, Mosaic, and Calypso working to make a very, very nice nasal assault. Crazy good exotic tropical fruits, pineapples, mangos, grapefruit, earthy slightly herbal aromas.

T - Taste is just spectacular. Super unique and delicious with TONS of tropical notes, mango, pineapple, dank hops, sticky bitter hops, grapefruit peel, oranges...the lager yeast is absolutely crushed by the hops here. As assertive and assaultive each and every hop variety is, each one can be picked out on different sips. I drink this, and wonder if I am simply rubbing my tongue with cones. The finish is strongly bitter, which is to be understood with this, however it is not a pallet wrecker. And if things could not get any more epic, as this warms...fresh peach nectar!

M - Mouthfeel is bitter, super drinkable, zero ABV noticeable. Nice bright carbonation.

O - Overall, this is one of the best beers to come out of Jack's Abby. While not as good as that first go around of Kiwi Rising, this is very close. Very well crafted and at $4.99 a 500mL it does not break the bank. (1,544 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Awesome beer. As advertised, a hoppy lager with a crisp refreshing finish.

Best beer I've ever had? no.. but the best lager I've ever had by far. Hence, a high rating, number one in that class. (197 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Jack's Abby Brewing - Mass Rising, poured into a pilsner glass.

Look - Pours a clear filtered pale yellow with some bubbles and a luxurious soapy head. Amazing splotchy lacing.

Smell - Wow... Spice, yeast, and hops come together perfect in the nose. Malt is suppressed.

Taste - This is damn near perfect. A nice blend of yeast and spice with one hell of a fruity bitter hop kicker.

Mouthfeel - Dry and medium bodied with only slight booziness. Great drinkability. Perfect carbonation.

Overall - They tweaked the 2nd anniversary lager and made it even better! They continue to improve on this style and recipe and I am ALL in! (630 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no bottled on date (but purchased at the brewery, so I'm assuming it is fresh) into a Jack's Abby branded 10oz snifter...with the bottle still at a 90 degree angle, the remainder is decanted into a 4oz Libbey snifter.

A- The initial, conservative pour (into aforementioned glass) reveals an absolutely beautiful yellow brew with about 1/2-finger's worth of a white, soapy head. The residual pour takes with it a significant amount of yeast from the bottom of the bottle (thank you, bottle conditioning). As such, my comments will only concern the pour into the larger vessel. (5.0)

S- The nose is bright and intensely aromatic! Pine, white grapefruit rind, lemon/lime citrus and lycee fruits are immediate. Digging a bit deeper reveals some of the grassy/floral/spicy notes that usually accompany a lager...for a hophead (like myself), this is nothing short of impressive (5.0)

T- The hops found in the aroma remain the star of the show on the palate. Being (for a lager) a hefty 8.0% ABV, the malt supports the (calculated) 100 IBU's just enough to keep it from being astringent, but the bitterness dominates. A sweet, crackery malt hits the palate first, but quickly succumbs to a tidal wave of citrus hops. The finish is an extremely dry and piney hop bitterness...perhaps a bit too dry for my liking. Although Mass Rising is quite simple on the palate, the hopping is quite intense and aggressive. This notion is further accentuated by the clean/crisp flavors imparted by the lager yeast which really helps accentuate the hop flavors. (4.5)

M- Although light compared to ales of this strength, there is a noticeable body to this beer. As a result, I would rank it is being on the heavier side of light. If you said I was drinking a "session IPA" (my jury is still out on that concept), I might very well believe you until the 2nd or 3rd bottle! Slightly higher carbonation than an ale-fermented IPA of this strength, but nothing over-the-top...2.56vols, perhaps? (4.5)

O- This is one serious DIPL...the L only for the fact that it is fermented with Lager Yeast. However, this is nothing but a tried-and true DIPA in all aspects. Jack's Abby continues to break the barriers and twist our (yes...us, the craft beer aficionados) definition of the 'L' word that we so (up until now...) herald as the bane of our existence. However, we should release those shackles and rejoice in the beauty of what our bottom-fermenting microorganisms can achieve with proper care...and proper hopping! (4.75) (2,529 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Received this bottle in a trade with lucas1801, thanks for turning me on to this great brew Chris!

Poured into a DFH Snifter, hazy golden yellow with a thick white head, great retention and plenty of lacing throughout.

The smell was the first sign that this was going to be a great beer, I am new to the IPL style, honesty thought I hated lagers...boy did this prove me wrong! The nose presents hops in full force, floral hops dominate!

The taste is Hops,Hops, Grapefruit zest and Hops...crazy good!

The Mouth feel is where it differed from the IPAs with similar taste profiles. Very light bodied, making it very refreshing and smooth.

Overall, this beer was an eye opener to the IPL style for me. I will absolutely give some others a shot (including the Hoponious Union I also received in this trade)
Anyone that enjoys a tasty hop bomb should seek this out...Impressive brew! (886 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to mj0126 for the trade. Pours a clear with a thick, 3-finger white head. Good retention and lots of lacing. Aromas of tropical fruit and pine. Lots of citrus, pine and tropical fruit on the tongue. Finishes dry. Smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Overall, this is a very impressive double pilsner, well balanced. Very hop forward. I'm not usually a fan of lagers, but this one is worth seeking out. (430 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass, bottled recently for sure. Pours a straw yellow, with an enormous billowing white head that leaves incredible lace everywhere. Smell extremely tropical and floral, tangerine, pineapple, mango, grapefruit, and flowers. Taste is even better, everything in the nose, but even more assertive. Citrus, flowers, and grapefruit in the aggressive finish. Body is medium, perfect carbonation, a little dry, and very easy drinking. This is scary good, WOW! (479 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From the 26 fl. oz. bottle. June 2013 batch. Sampled on Labor Day 2013.

It has a cloudy pale yellow pour with a big fluffy white head that lingers and laces through the end.

The aroma is something else. Even three feet away from my nose I pick up the pine , resin, and floral hops - eve more so up close. Some roasted biscuit malts but a world of spruce and citrus.

The body is full.

The taste begins with a biscuit maltiness and then becomes rich with floral and pine hops, citrus but more specifically grapefruit and tangerine, and a long lasting bitter finale. An amazing beer and I'm glad I got to celebrate Jack's Abby's second anniversary with this one. (664 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

16.9 oz. bottle acquired in a trade (thanks, Greg Radawich!), unknown bottling date but gifted at NHC2013 at the end of 6/13, poured into my NEBCO Gandhi-Bot tulip glass, drank 8/3/13 over an hour.

A: 3/3 - straw yellow-golden coloration, impressive clarity for a double IPA/L (can both see or read through), white rocky head on pouring persists throughout drinking as a half-finger lacing, moderate alcohol legs for an imperial IPA/L

S: 11/12 - I had a bottle immediately on trading and recall the hop aroma being huge but this is still impressive; right up front: grapefruit, orange/tangerine mixed with a grassy/floral quality ....some alcohol and malt notes are also present but the hops are front and center; I detracted one point because I recall even more intensity of prior consumption

T: 19/20 - this is where the IPLs add something the the mix that you don't typically get in an IPA...on the anterior tongue, there's a mild bitterness (IBU 100?!?) but the hop flavors predominate...grapefruit, tangerine, blood oramges...even some argula! , in the middle of the mouth, the remaining hop qualities really kick in (from Centennial, I guess)...big time grapefuit and other citrus fruits; the alcohol is present in the taste with some minor malt characters to hint at balancing; minimal yeast characteristics from the clean lager strain

M: 5/5 - full-bodied with thick hop oils coating the tongue, 8% is present but not overbearing (more like a single IPA at times); high carbonation for style/ABV and moderate alcohol legs

O: 9/10 - hands down the best IPL that I've tried and up their with some of the best imperial IPAs and lives up to the hype; I really like the cleanliness imparted by the lager yeast, which, I'd imagine, improves the clarity and allows the hop aroma and flavors to really shine through, which is especially impressive because this bottle is at least one month old; cheers, Jack and co., for putting a 2+2 together in the best way possible!

TOTAL = 47/50 (1,989 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle sent to me thanks to Jesse, thanks a lot man! What a treat! This may be one of the best hoppy lagers I've had bar none, to my intense american palate this is what I'm looking for.

The beer is a beautiful hazy golden color with a very good ring of head and some sticky lacing, a really nice sudsy look that is just so attractive.

The smell is super fresh and hoppy, very clean and robust at the same time. Lemon tinged grassy hops dominate for me with a slight biscuity backbone with some coriander and nearly minty piney notes too and then some more citrus of the tropical; variety. A very awesome aroma, it is really appetizing for a hop head like me.

The taste features the hops nicely as well, but there is more of a sweetness I wouldnt have expected, though it is tempered by the dry yeast and bitter hops, leaving a aftertaste that is a good mix of bitter and sweet at the same time. Also some cereal type notes as well that compliment the tropical citrus pine resins nicely.

NOTE: I found that at the start of drinking this it had more edge and kick to it, and as it warmed it got a bit more malty and sweet for me (but I still loved it); I'd recommend having this on the colder side as opposed to letting it warm at all out of the fridge.

Mouthfeel is nice, it has a great creaminess to it and an appropriate amount of carbonation, it leaves a nice aftertaste and hits all tastebuds nicely!

Overall a very nice beer, very glad to try it and wish I could easily get more and try it on tap as well. cheers! (1,529 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I am beginning to really like this style. I received this on as an extra on trade. I have no idea if these fall off like IPA’s supposedly do, but it tasted pretty damn nice considering it is an elderly 4 months old!

Appearance: Light yellow and hazy, pours with a huge pillowy head. Very much like you would expect from a lager.

Aroma: Floral and tropical notes. Hops are present but not in your face either. Pleasant aroma.

Taste: Once again this brewery has hit a homerun with this beer. You get the nice tropical mango notes from the hops and some floral notes as well. But, the lager component smooths this one out, it has a bit of bite on the back end but it is full and juicy.

Overall: Well made beer totally enjoyable! I would seek this on out again for sure (772 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An interesting beer from a local brewery specializing in lagers. I'm more of an ale guy, but do enjoy the cleanness of lagers. The beer claims to be hoppy, and the smell when I opened the bottle supported this. Very floral.

Upon pouring, the beer produced a good inch to inch in a half of head that, while it receded, persisted to some extent for quite some time. It looked thick and almost meringue like. The beer was a beautiful golden straw color. Floral scent persists in the glass. I expected a soapy mouth feel given the persistence of the head, but the this wasn't the case. The beer is crisp and not soapy or sticky in anyway, while the head was creamy and satisfying. Upon tasting, there is a powerful flower all flavor, but the bitterness is kept in check. Next I was treated with a nice grassy, grainy taste hat one would expect for lager. The flavor combo works well as it is very hoppy, but the hops don't kill the grain flavor as is often the case with trendily hoppy beers of late. Also, the fact that the beer was layered lends a nice cereal taste that isn't too sweet like some IPAs are.

Overall a great beer! Pair it with some good cheese (Meadow Creek's Grayson would be great!) for a nice treat. (1,219 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a nonic tumbler from a bottle- pours a bright golden orange color, clear, visibly effervescent, an abundance of foamy off-white head, great retention and nice streaks of lacing. Beautiful.

Smell is mild but enticing- definitely get a good dose of pine resin and faint traces of pilsner malt and yeast.

Taste is excellent- very hoppy yet incredibly well balanced with malt and yeast flavors. Super drinkable, even at 8 percent. Pine resin up front, followed by orange citrusy hops, then a mixture of malt sweetness and yeast fighting with the hops and it finishes unsettled, leaving a long, very enjoyable aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is really awesome also- medium body, well carbonated, a good dose of resin but not too sticky. Only reason I didn't give a five on mouthfeel was because it's perhaps a tad bit too sticky for my taste but it's really an exceptional brew. Go get it! (890 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

The long slendering neck forces a nice pour into my Tree House tulip, with a big creamy 1.5 finger head that fades semi slowly, in fact it seems to want to stick around to enjoy the beer as much as it can itself. It eventually leaves a nice lacing on the sides, bit of a soapy lacing, a nice golden slightly hazy tan honey colored beer.

Nose just wafts out of the glass when I pop the top, just he essence of pure awesome hops, such an amazing aroma and I'm glad I can pick this up fairly easily and smell it anytime. Great tropical fruit, a some mango and papaya, a mild tangerine citrus and hint of grapefruit pith, very juicy aroma with pure tropical fruit juice like, the slightest hint of melon to top off the hop goodness. Under that is a mild sweet malty aroma, a kiss of malty balance to, um, balance it. Then a nice big passion fruit waft like I just took a scoop of a halved passion fruit, a bit more mango, and a hint of musty resin.

Taste is very nice too, continuing where the nose left off, more awesome hops that explode and brings lots of great tropical fruit but don't get overly saturated. The malty balance comes through nicely with a good balance and touch of sweetness, but alcohol is hidden fairly well behind the mild sweetness and big hop character. bitterness is fair but not crazy, with a great crisp lager character in there too to help bring everything out nicely and not weigh down on the tongue. Finally all that writing is out of the way I can get to the hop characters. Again tons of mango and passion fruit, tons of generic tropical fruit juice. It really has that taste and even a little feel of sucking on a mango pit, before moving into the citrus, overall not too heavy on the citrus, but a nice tangerine, nectarine like citrus, a hint of grapefruit pith, and little clementine like mild orange.The pithy slight spicy bitterness comes through more towards the finish, as well as a bit of a musty resin, and a mild earthy like terroir kinda hop character. Finish is dry, crisp, and lots of hops lingering, more mango, passion fruit, little citrus and orange juice, more grapefruit pith, and little malt base.

Mouth is med bodied but soft and crisp lager touch, although maybe a bit overcarbonationed.

Overall great, another amazing beer from Jack's Abby, but this time getting into the realm of Hill farmstead of Tree House with the amazing hop characters, tropical fruit, etc, but keeping that nice crisp soft lager base to make this a winner and a half! (2,496 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours in a clear golden honey color with a nice big white head.

The aroma has lemon zest, a crackery malt, floral some lager characteristics. Hoppy, but not a huge aroma.

The flavor follows with this strong amount of grapefruit hoppiness, a bit of grassy green, floral, a touch of white bready malt. Not much sweetness. Tons of pine on the finish. An extremely hoppy beer.

This beer does not have too much obvious fruity notes from the hops, but still has that hop “juice” flavor. Extremely hoppy. Very clean and bitter. Very drinkable. (552 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to beersndrums for this one! Again!

500 mL bottle poured into a globe at cellar temperature.

L – Pale gold color with a 3-finger foamy, frothy, rocky, cream-colored head. Fantastic retention and excellent sheets of lacing. Clear with lots of bubbles.

S – An enormous blast of hops kicks me right in the nose with big resinous, grapefruit, mango, peach, and pine notes. I maybe get the slightest hint of bready malt, but this is just overflowing with wonderful hoppy aromas.

T – This just starts off bitter right off the bat with grapefruit, orange, pineapple, mango, and peach flavors. As the bitterness builds, more earthy, grassy, and piney flavors take the forefront. Bitterness lasts forever but once it fades, some smooth bready malt shines through. Wow this is a deliciously bitter beast.

F – Medium-bodied, great carbonation, a sticky, chewy, mouth-coating, but also crisp mouthfeel, and a very bitter, mildly sweet, and very dry finish. A whole mix of bitter hop flavors linger for a while with a bit of warmth, maybe from the hops, maybe from the alcohol, maybe from a little bit of both.

O – This is a phenomenal beer. It’s just like a great DIPA except maybe even better. The crisp lager mouthfeel gives it a much more drinkable character while still having enough body for the magnitude of the beer. This is really a marvelously crafted brew. Thank you so, so much for giving me the opportunity to try this one, Jared! (1,460 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a clear straw yellow colored body with a nice fluffy white head.

Nose is extremely hoppy with waves of citrus and resin. This nose is on par with the great hop monsters like Heady Topper or Hercules. In your face, you could smell it all day nose.

Taste is medium to full bodied, but at the same time very light and refreshing. Starts with a bold caramel and fresh malt flavor with a strong mixture of fruity citric hops and fresh lager yeast flavor. As it goes on through in to the finish the hops really become more dominate and the hop bitterness kicks in with a strong lasting hop bitterness finish. The high abv in this beer is very well hidden. There's a mild warmth, and after a while you can start to feel it, but it doesn't have an alcohol burn. Very well balanced.

Congrats JA on 2 years. This beer is a fantastic big brother to the Hoponious Union. A much cleaner version of a DIPL than Kiwi Rising, and honestly I'm not sure which I like better. Whatever... try this beer. If you're a hop head you will not be disappointed. (1,043 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 500 mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent gold/light amber and leaves a relatively thick 2-finger white head which lingers around for a while. Lots of lacing.

Smell: Tropical fruits (mango, pineapple), also plenty of pine. Lots of pleasant hop flavors in the aroma.

Taste: Big citrus, pine, some light tropical notes - very well balanced, delicious hop flavors. Very hop forward. Extremely smooth, crisp finish with the alcohol masked brilliantly.

Mouth-feel: Nice medium, creamy body with a medium amount of carbonation (perfect amount to me). That smooth, crisp finish is wonderful.

Overall: This is a very impressive IPL. Delicious hop flavors and a wonderfully smooth body combine to make this a really refreshing beer with a whole lot of flavor. I've had the 2nd Anniversary Lager and to me, this one beats that one for sure, although both are great. (897 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Starting off with the nose there is big hop citrus aroma that transitions right into the taste. The taste and feel of this feel are an awesome combo. Taste consists of big citrus flavors , a slight bit of grapefuit, and a nice dry malt backbone. The lager aspect gives this beer a smooth, crisp taste that makes this extremely drinkable. The amazing citrus hop taste and smoothness of this beer has instantly made this one my favorites. (436 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to angrybabboon for sending this one a while back. Consumed during the first week or so with friends in Arcata. Poured out of a 500ml bottle into a tulip glass. No freshness date - it seems these guys are sometimes sadly inconsistent with it, but I don't expect any poor results for this.

Pours a beautiful golden amber color that's pretty crystal clear at first, with a fluffy, frothy white head that rises aggressively in the glass. Gets progressively cloudier with each additional pour, but it's still wonderfully bubbly and thickened overall. Leaves behind good sticky foam at the glass's edges, as well as some decent legs with each swirl and sip. To be perfectly honest, this is one of the most memorable lagers I've ever seen.

Smells terrific - a wonderful throwback to the greatest aspects of their other "IPLs" such as Hoponius Union. Huge notes of grapefruit, orange rinds, white nectarines, green melon, lemon zest, white grapes (verging on raisins), and more. Pine, sage, and other herbal qualities are all up in this, as are notes of white flowers, light white pepper, and an underlying minerality of cold stones that you only really find in an excellent Old World white wine. Finishes with brief toffee and a cracker-like sensation from the grains. Unbelievably complex for a beer of its class - transcends what lagers usually accomplish while still accommodating their greatest crisp qualities.

The flavor continues where the aroma left off, providing an explosion of citrus, floral notes, and lager sweetness and crispness that comes together in a remarkable manner. Huge grapefruit, orange peel, and lemon, followed with lots of stone fruit (mainly nectarines), green melon, light grapes, and tons of pine to round it out. Finishes floral, fruity, and minerally. A tremendous toffee/caramel crisp sweetened sensation rounds it up, and combined with the dry citrus flavor at the finish, it's pretty astonishing. Wonderfully carbonated, with a rounded out gentle feel that elevates the flavors to a higher ground, while still maintaining its drinkable qualities to the max. Refreshing, juicy, and enormously easy to drink for an 8% beer. Cannot find any major faults - this is a crowning achievement in many ways.

Oh man, this is awesome. I'm a huge fan of crisp, refreshing lagers, and to get one that embodies its mouthfeel and uses intense hopping and fruity yeast often found in ales to elevate its complexity is a job well done indeed. In a way, this is like the lager counterpart to PtE, if only a little less refined. I do hope that more breweries work on developing the IPL style as ambitiously as Jack's Abby has. The results are quite terrific, and are among the most intriguing offerings in American craft beer. (2,748 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Half liter bottle poured into a lager glass.

Appearance - clear golden color. Massive foamy white head that had real staying power lasting until the end. Glass completely draped with lacing.

The smell was amazing. Huge aroma of hops - citrus, tropical fruit, some malt coming through. Literally could smell the beer from across the room. Very fresh and enticing. More subtle notes of peach/apricot and a nice touch of yeast aroma when up close and personal.

The hops deliver. Big citrus notes of grapefruit right up front, then a little tropical fruit taste with the subtle peach notes. The malt provides a solid foundation, and I found a little sweetness underneath. Bitter on the finish with some pine resin notes. While obviously intending to feature the hops, it is well balanced.

Oddly light - seems this should have a heavier, thicker feel but it is very clean and bright, quite smooth/creamy.

Overall an excellent beer. In my opinion a "big brother" to 2nd Anniversary - not quite the same, maybe a more "mature" version? Loads of aroma, well-balanced flavors, and pretty easy drinking. (1,098 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fairly sure this beer will be lumped in with the 2nd Anniversary Lager reviews because I am fairly sure this is the same beer.

A-Pours cloudy and opaque. Big, white head. Long, thick rings of lace.

S-Delightful, exotic, fruity hoppiness. Pineapples, clementines and an herbal, grassy/mossy finish. A farmer's market fruit medley. Light, crackery and Pilsy malt.

T-I love the clean, sweet cracker malt but let's be honest, the unique fruit nuke of hoppiness comprises of 95% of the flavor. So much goddamn pineapple! Dank, mossy hops with a bitter citro-pine finish.

M-Drinks eagerly. No booze. Bitterness is long but not strange long.

O/D-This must be a re-brew of their 2nd Anni brew. Therefore, until I am proven wrong I will give Mass Rising the same grade. What a beer. Year round? Hell yes. (801 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: The appearance is a cloudy golden hue with a dissipating head that is continually replenished by the beautiful little bubbles floating to the top.

Smell: Oh god yeah. Initial pour has a super pine-tree smell -- like you've just poured a liquefied Christmas tree into your glass. There is also an abundance of pineapple aroma. This beer smells absolutely wonderful. As the beer warms, the pineapple becomes more prominent and the pine fades -- but needlessly a delightful smelling beer (as I did give it a perfect score!)

Taste: The start of this beer is piney, pineapple, citrusy, it's all there. It's balanced out by a strong malt backbone and then lingers on the back of your palette for quite some time after a sip -- it leaves that nice stinging feeling to remind you that you just consumed a Christmas tree.

Mouth-feel: If you didn't know this was a lager, you'd never have the chance of guessing. It has such an on-point mouth-feel for a double IPA. It's light, but stinging. It's in your face, but not heavy in your stomach. It has the kick, but not the punch. It's a very good mouthfeel, not heavy, not light, but the hop abundance mixed with a good amount of malt to even it out lends to the balanced world of beers.

Overall: Jack's Abby does it again. This beer is delightful. I slammed my nose into the glass multiple times before even deciding to begin tasting -- it just smells that damn good. It's really like a fresh, real Christmas tree coming into your house. The pineapple, citrusy and pine flavors that explode in your mouth dance on your palette. The mouthfeel is absolutely on-point and the lingering stinging on the back of your palette let's you know you just drank one of the most perfected double IPL's on the market. Enjoy and drink thoughtfully!

Cheers. (1,859 characters)