Mass Rising - Jack's Abby Brewing

Jack's Abby Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: rudzud on 09-07-2013

In the spirit of our local history we are revolting against the status quo. We are writing our own story by fueling the fire surrounding extra hoppy beers. We infuse Mass Rising with increasing amounts of American hops during the kettle, hopbock and dry hopping processes. Together, we have taken a journey to redefine the term 'lager.'
IBUs 100 IBU
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,244 | Reviews: 170

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

2.65/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Eh. I guess I don't like lagers

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%

Pours a bright gold with a rather foamy head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells of grapefruit, and some apple. Standard hop fare here.

This beer bites back, citrus on the front, bitter finish. Not getting too much by way of complexities.

Medium body, crisp exit.

Not my kind of brew, but one of the better IPLs I've had.

2.96/5  rDev -30.5%

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

Purchased a growler at the brewery, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: It's a light golden color.

Smell: Smell a lot of piney notes, which I would surmise are from the simcoe hops that were used.

Taste: Man, this is bitter. I was expecting it to be hoppier than The ABCS, but man, this is overwhelming. It tastes like a condensed hop, but lacks the malt backbone to support it. It's really, really bitter.

Mouthfeel: Not too much texture from the different hops. Lingering bitter resin aftertaste.

Overall: I'm kind of disappointed. I was really looking forward to this beer, but I think it lacks the balance that I expected from it. It's very, very hoppy. The ABCS struck a fine balance between the crispness of a lager and the hoppyness of an IPA. This was shockingly bitter to start, though I'm adjusting to it now.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

This was described to me as an East Coast Humulus, so of course I had to give it a try.

N-not quite. While Humulus retains just enough crispness to clearly differentiate itself from a double IPA, the back end of JA's second anniversary strays into the harsh medicinal nodes that mar most iterations of this difficult style. Thankfully the front end is still smooth and pleasant and the back-end never gets painfully sharp, but it comes too close for my liking.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Its young nephew Hoponius does quite well for himself. He obviously doesnt take after uncle Mass Rising. Also, ABV isnt anywhere on the bottle.

3.28/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Very pale yellow orange. Small white head. Medium collar.

Smell - Generic citrusy hops. Pilsner malt behind it. Doesn't smell like a whole lot.

Taste - Crisp citrus hop flavor. Aggressively bitter. Pilsner malt flavor. Grassy bitterness lingers in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium light body. Well carbonated. Very bitter.

Overall - The hop flavor isn't very distinct. The malt flavor is still interesting though.

3.44/5  rDev -19.2%

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Mass Rising from Jack's Abby Brewing