1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Half Court India Pale Ale - Cutters Brewing Company

Half Court India Pale AleHalf Court India Pale Ale

good

Cutters Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Half Court is our celebration of basketball fever and the sweat it takes for success. A noble example of an India Pale Ale, this beer pours with a thick white head and hits you directly with the scent of hops and citrus. But be forewarned, we're just as hysterical about hops as we are hoops.

(Beer added by: jmarsh123 on 08-03-2011)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 63 | Reviews: 16 | Show All Ratings:
WVbeergeek

2.14/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Wash your mouth out with soapy hops that's the flavors I get here, horrible presentation cloudy orange copper hue light slightly off white head. It's like sucking on hop pellets, no balance ridiculous offering I will swear this brewer off after this, still has plastic and cardboard off notes in this one. How is this brewery going to survive? The absolute worst IPA I've ever had and I've been drinking them for over 10 years now. I am drain pouring this effort sorry guys I know you started homebrewing and made some beers your friends like but this is not craft beer, this is pure shite. I hope I'm being constructive and the most honest and humble way there's no way to call this a good or decent IPA therefor I've told the truth and this review is complete...now I have to go and brush my teeth.

02-15-2014 20:57:38 | More by WVbeergeek
BierStein711

2.66/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I love hops, I'm okay about hoops, and overall I was not impressed.

Appearance: burnt orange, off-white head, moderate carbonation with some lacing, good head retention.

Mouthfeel: thicker

smell: Citrus

Taste: Burnt wood, and sweet oranges

Overall, this was a dissapointment-not what I look for in an IPA. Maybe this is better on-tap? I cannot say I'd have this again.

02-01-2014 03:11:55 | More by BierStein711
mfnmbvp

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Another random find at the local beer store; acquired as part of a mixed six pack. My first beer from Cutters Brewing Company, out of Bloomington, Indiana. Expectations are moderate.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours about a finger of sudsy white head on top of a nice burnt sienna orange colored body. Some thin scattered lacing. Looks alright.

S - Smell is of faded bitter herbal / vegetal hops: pine, dirty earth, leaves, some creaminess, caramel malt, & some green apples.

T - Taste follows the nose, and seems to be a bit faded. Dirty herbal / earthy pine hops, resinous grapefruit / orange, dry bready malt, sugary green apple, and some caramel.

M - Feel goes down smooth enough, and lingers on the finish with dirty herbal / earthiness, and resinous pine / grapefruit. Very dry and bready on the finish.

Overall, more of a malt bomb it would seem, but that is more than likely because my bottle isn't all that fresh. Definitely a beer I would consider trying again, but it lies firmly in the middle of the pack.

Cutters Brewing Half Court India Pale Ale ---3.5/5

12-07-2013 22:52:58 | More by mfnmbvp
WKyle

4.05/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A few notes before I begin; I didn't actually pour this one as I didn't expect it to be my first review, secondly I am not a huge IPA fan.
As mentioned above I did not pour this one out so I can't say much for it's appearance.
It smelled marvelous definitely citrusy (maybe lemon?) and hoppy but not overpowering.
My suspicions were confirmed on first taste. This IPA starts with a crisp citrus flavor, possibly orange or lemon peel and a slightly sweet taste, but ends with the hop of an IPA. The hops are not overpowering but make for a great bitter end that lingers smoothly. This beer is very smooth and is thicker than I expected with a great mouth feel.
Overall this is a refreshing IPA with a good taste and mouth feel. I would highly recommend it.

Feel free to add comments or suggestions to my first review! I take criticism pretty well (or at least I'd like to think so)

11-06-2013 05:14:42 | More by WKyle
rlee1390

3.43/5  rDev -2.3%

A-Clear ruby orange, some carbonation, two finger head, that doesn't last long.

S-Malt, malt, malt. Caramel, not much hops. Mainly just malt.

T-Like the nose, way to malty. Not much bitterness, some dirt and pine, but really lacking in hops.

M-Light to medium bodied, some carbonation.

O-No bottle date, maybe it means that this wasn't fresh. But when you don't bottle date it is your fault for a bad review for an out of date product. That being said, it could just be a bad IPA.

06-15-2013 00:35:30 | More by rlee1390
secondtooth

3.19/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a cloudy amber, with minimal carbonation. Lace is small and erratic.

Aroma is mild -- definitely a pine and citrus hops vibe, but it's not overwhelming.

Taste is sharp and bitter hops, very much in a citric vein with plenty of acidity. Not bad, but not a notable or unique IPA, either.

05-06-2013 13:21:16 | More by secondtooth
AmitC

4.01/5  rDev +14.2%

A very decent IPA.

Pours a deep amber color with some persisting head. Slight stickiness. Some bubbles.

Nose is grassy and earthy. Good mix of hops. Medium strength. Some malty sweetness is also apparent.

Taste: A well balanced taste. Nothing very bitter. I would say lack of floral, piney or citrus hops. More usage of grounded, dry hops. Good malt backbone. After taste is slightly bitter.

Mouth feel: A more thick bodied IPA compared to other IPAs. Not to say that the feel is thick bodied, but it is very much medium feel. Moderate carbonation.

01-12-2013 01:05:17 | More by AmitC
JackStraw

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a bomber purchased this weekend at Bloomingfoods into pint glass; no indication of bottling date. I talked to one of the brewers at Beerfest last weekend, and they are still hand bottling/labeling everything at this point.

A - 6-7 srms, golden orange, thin white head that dissipates quickly, a bit hazy and cloudy

S - nothing overwhelming, floral and citrus with a bit of grass and a little perfumey smell with just a touch of malt

T - definitely more balanced than a lot of other IPAs I've had recently, with both a citrusy orange taste along with bitterness and hint of malt in the initial taste. Medium-dry finish with some lingering bitterness

M - smooth clean and a little oily, could have use a little more carbonation.

O - This is one that grows on me the more I drink it; a very balanced and drinkable IPA that plays more on subtlety than overbearing hop character. I'd like to try this on tap and compare. Overall a very nice, drinkable B-town IPA.

10-09-2012 00:14:41 | More by JackStraw
drewsefs

3.98/5  rDev +13.4%

A beautiful dark golden IPA. The head left on the glass after i had a few drinks was amazing, really gave me a warm feeling (and that's not just because of how much i was drinking). The taste left lingering in my mouth afterwards

When to drink: An august day, a light breeze rolling by, this IPA would really warm you up. Suggested meal, a pizza or some really good theater popcorn.

06-04-2012 04:17:05 | More by drewsefs
swihart

4.6/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bomber from Sahara Mart brought to me by a friend (THANKS).

As an American IPA (14B) this beer scores well on all counts. Aroma is citrusy, lemony, fresh, and brought up nicely by great carbonation. There is no malt in the aroma but that's OK and it's fairly cold anyway. 10/12

Med-pale straw gold color is on the light side for this style but gorgeous, haziness is expected and the head is beautiful, creamy, lasting, bright white and dense. 3/3

The hop flavor is robust and lemony; the bitterness does a nice interplay with the subtle malt, the way an IPA is supposed to "balance," i.e. over-balance. Very clean and thirst-quenching, finish is clean and mildly bitter. 18/20

The body is medium light -- perfectly within specs for this style, and a big part of the overall refreshing charm. There are no oddities in the mouthfeel, no diacetyl, no astringency from the mash or from the hops. Just a little warming, which is consistent with the 6.3% ABV claimed. 4/5

Overall this gets 9/10 if a BJCP scoresheet were being used.

Linda (BJCP National)

03-18-2012 20:54:41 | More by swihart
Beast35

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%

This was an interesting local brew, I grabbed a bottle of it from sahara mart down in bloomington. Pretty straightforward IPA, it could have used more body, the mouthfeel was a little thin but that was my only real complaint. Pretty good IPA for a new craft brewery. Love the name too.

11-14-2011 01:57:20 | More by Beast35
langm12

4.35/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a golden wheat color with a good finger of eggshell head that disipates fairly quickly. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Lacing sticks to the glass all the way down. Not a typical IPA look but very appeasing.

S - Pineapple and Mango with a bit of malt sweetness. Some earthy tones.

T - Great citrus flavor up front, pineapple, mango, grapefruit followed by a mellow malt sweetness. Hop bitterness runs throughout without overwhelming. Nice balance. Not typical of the IPA style but very tasty none the less.

M - Oily and full bodied. Carbonation adds a good kick.

Those looking for a typical IPA may find themselves a bit disappointed with this one. However, those looking for a good beer will likely enjoy this one. A tasty, easy drinker with enough quirks to stand out. Another good brew from the Bloomington upstarts.

10-20-2011 02:52:11 | More by langm12
unfurld

4.08/5  rDev +16.2%

Not being a fan of IPAs, I was skeptical about liking Half Court. But, I found it easy to drink and well balanced. I liked the citrus notes, and thought they balanced the bitterness of the hops quite to my liking. It was drinkable without being bland or one-dimensional and it was well worth the purchase price.

08-28-2011 21:57:58 | More by unfurld
ademiles

4.53/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Right when opening the bottle you instantly smell the amazing aroma. It pours a nice golden color. The taste is amazing. The bitterness is very well balanced in the beer. It's definitely there but it's not as dominant as you'd normally expect from an IPA. Certainly plenty of flavor. It's definitely one I could drink every day. Half Court IPA easily makes my list of top beers.

08-27-2011 21:49:08 | More by ademiles
brewfus

4.05/5  rDev +15.4%

The aroma on this beer is phenomenal. I personally like IPA's with a larger malt characteristic but I was totally satisfied with this brew. Very crisp and clean, good example of the style. It is nice to find an IPA that has plenty of flavor and but at the same time has a high drinkability. I could drink this beer all day and night and never want anything else. Good Job Cutters!

08-27-2011 21:16:18 | More by brewfus
jmarsh123

1.75/5  rDev -50.1%

Pours a clear gold color with a big eggshell head. Good lacing down the glass as I drank it.

Smells of citrus/grapefruit with some sweetness from the malt cutting through the hops. Some vegetal smells as well.

Taste citrusy but with a distinct sweetness from the malt and too much vegetal flavor. Finishes with a very sweet flavor. This beer could use a lot more bitterness. Also notes of oxidation in the finish. Finishes with a lot of wet band-aid flavor.

Mouthfeel is good and creamy. Very oily and probably lots of dry hopping on this one.

I'm always glad to see new breweries pop up especially ones so close to home. This is quite frankly a bad IPA, but check our their Imperial Stout. Much much better.

08-03-2011 22:27:24 | More by jmarsh123