Half Court India Pale Ale - Cutters Brewing Company

Half Court India Pale AleHalf Court India Pale Ale

Cutters Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: jmarsh123 on 08-03-2011

Half Court is our celebration of basketball fever and the sweat it takes for success. A noble example of an India Pale Ale, this beer pours with a thick white head and hits you directly with the scent of hops and citrus. But be forewarned, we're just as hysterical about hops as we are hoops.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 91 | Reviews: 18
4.6/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bomber from Sahara Mart brought to me by a friend (THANKS).

As an American IPA (14B) this beer scores well on all counts. Aroma is citrusy, lemony, fresh, and brought up nicely by great carbonation. There is no malt in the aroma but that's OK and it's fairly cold anyway. 10/12

Med-pale straw gold color is on the light side for this style but gorgeous, haziness is expected and the head is beautiful, creamy, lasting, bright white and dense. 3/3

The hop flavor is robust and lemony; the bitterness does a nice interplay with the subtle malt, the way an IPA is supposed to "balance," i.e. over-balance. Very clean and thirst-quenching, finish is clean and mildly bitter. 18/20

The body is medium light -- perfectly within specs for this style, and a big part of the overall refreshing charm. There are no oddities in the mouthfeel, no diacetyl, no astringency from the mash or from the hops. Just a little warming, which is consistent with the 6.3% ABV claimed. 4/5

Overall this gets 9/10 if a BJCP scoresheet were being used.

Linda (BJCP National)

4.53/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Right when opening the bottle you instantly smell the amazing aroma. It pours a nice golden color. The taste is amazing. The bitterness is very well balanced in the beer. It's definitely there but it's not as dominant as you'd normally expect from an IPA. Certainly plenty of flavor. It's definitely one I could drink every day. Half Court IPA easily makes my list of top beers.

4.52/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really like this beer. It pours golden brown with a solid head that retains. It has a truly pungent smell of citrus and hops. The citrus comes through HEAVILY in the flavor. Its sweet and sour taste gives this beer a lot of character. This beer is really worth a try. Going in, I really didn't expect much, but it surprised the shit outta me. I enjoyed it from start to finish. Try this beer. Do it.

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a golden wheat color with a good finger of eggshell head that disipates fairly quickly. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Lacing sticks to the glass all the way down. Not a typical IPA look but very appeasing.

S - Pineapple and Mango with a bit of malt sweetness. Some earthy tones.

T - Great citrus flavor up front, pineapple, mango, grapefruit followed by a mellow malt sweetness. Hop bitterness runs throughout without overwhelming. Nice balance. Not typical of the IPA style but very tasty none the less.

M - Oily and full bodied. Carbonation adds a good kick.

Those looking for a typical IPA may find themselves a bit disappointed with this one. However, those looking for a good beer will likely enjoy this one. A tasty, easy drinker with enough quirks to stand out. Another good brew from the Bloomington upstarts.

4.08/5  rDev +17.6%

Not being a fan of IPAs, I was skeptical about liking Half Court. But, I found it easy to drink and well balanced. I liked the citrus notes, and thought they balanced the bitterness of the hops quite to my liking. It was drinkable without being bland or one-dimensional and it was well worth the purchase price.

4.08/5  rDev +17.6%

4.07/5  rDev +17.3%

The aroma on this beer is phenomenal. I personally like IPA's with a larger malt characteristic but I was totally satisfied with this brew. Very crisp and clean, good example of the style. It is nice to find an IPA that has plenty of flavor and but at the same time has a high drinkability. I could drink this beer all day and night and never want anything else. Good Job Cutters!

4.04/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A few notes before I begin; I didn't actually pour this one as I didn't expect it to be my first review, secondly I am not a huge IPA fan.
As mentioned above I did not pour this one out so I can't say much for it's appearance.
It smelled marvelous definitely citrusy (maybe lemon?) and hoppy but not overpowering.
My suspicions were confirmed on first taste. This IPA starts with a crisp citrus flavor, possibly orange or lemon peel and a slightly sweet taste, but ends with the hop of an IPA. The hops are not overpowering but make for a great bitter end that lingers smoothly. This beer is very smooth and is thicker than I expected with a great mouth feel.
Overall this is a refreshing IPA with a good taste and mouth feel. I would highly recommend it.

Feel free to add comments or suggestions to my first review! I take criticism pretty well (or at least I'd like to think so)

4.01/5  rDev +15.6%

A very decent IPA.

Pours a deep amber color with some persisting head. Slight stickiness. Some bubbles.

Nose is grassy and earthy. Good mix of hops. Medium strength. Some malty sweetness is also apparent.

Taste: A well balanced taste. Nothing very bitter. I would say lack of floral, piney or citrus hops. More usage of grounded, dry hops. Good malt backbone. After taste is slightly bitter.

Mouth feel: A more thick bodied IPA compared to other IPAs. Not to say that the feel is thick bodied, but it is very much medium feel. Moderate carbonation.

3.96/5  rDev +14.1%

A beautiful dark golden IPA. The head left on the glass after i had a few drinks was amazing, really gave me a warm feeling (and that's not just because of how much i was drinking). The taste left lingering in my mouth afterwards

When to drink: An august day, a light breeze rolling by, this IPA would really warm you up. Suggested meal, a pizza or some really good theater popcorn.

3.88/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a bomber purchased this weekend at Bloomingfoods into pint glass; no indication of bottling date. I talked to one of the brewers at Beerfest last weekend, and they are still hand bottling/labeling everything at this point.

A - 6-7 srms, golden orange, thin white head that dissipates quickly, a bit hazy and cloudy

S - nothing overwhelming, floral and citrus with a bit of grass and a little perfumey smell with just a touch of malt

T - definitely more balanced than a lot of other IPAs I've had recently, with both a citrusy orange taste along with bitterness and hint of malt in the initial taste. Medium-dry finish with some lingering bitterness

M - smooth clean and a little oily, could have use a little more carbonation.

O - This is one that grows on me the more I drink it; a very balanced and drinkable IPA that plays more on subtlety than overbearing hop character. I'd like to try this on tap and compare. Overall a very nice, drinkable B-town IPA.

3.8/5  rDev +9.5%

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Half Court India Pale Ale from Cutters Brewing Company