Reaper's Harvest - Helltown Brewing

Rye Beer |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: GreenJetta912 on 11-07-2012

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

On tap at gateway grill. Appears a dark reddish brown with fluffy white head that has bubbles. Laces whole way down and is sticky! The smell is what got me! Smells of wet/dry hops, simcoe I think, but not sure. It is so unique it took me back to my basement brewing recolections! Obvious malt back bone that make this a special treat. Tastes is smooth and subtle, the hops creep up and will have you lapping like a dog, soaking up the aftertaste. Rye is hidden and makes everything work. Mouthfeel is too smooth for 8%! I could see this getting dangerous it goes down so well. Overall a superb find and again helltown impresses me with another seasonal!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pineapply hops and rye; light, smooth and eminently drinkable. Just don't mistake the lightness for weakness, because this one packs a punch.
Might just need a case.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%

It's golden in color, good lacing, head retention is good but not the best I've seen

The smell is very hop foreward and the rye punches you in the nostrils. Intoxicating aroma of bread and hops. slight lemon hop aroma

Taste is bomb diggity. The rye does not punch you in the face like in the nose. Really good hop/rye balance with a solid sweet malt backbone. This doesn't taste like 8%abv so be careful. It's incredibly smooth if you enjoy hoppy brews. Goes down way too easy. Use caution.

Mouthfeel is very sweet. My guess is all of that came from the use of rye.

The finish is sweet and hoppy. citrus, grapefruit, orange, pine notes. Hint of lemongrass.

Overall: I'm pissed that they are out of it. If you like rye beer, this is worth going out of your way for.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Oh my. We have a legitimately wet-hopped beer here.

Amazing oily character with a nice spicy tone to it. Great earthy base to it. I'd love to know what hops they used in this one. I'll look it up later. For now, this is a very nice beer.

This is my 2nd brew from these guys and I am now on a mission to try all things Helltown. My new favorite brewery out of the Pittsburgh area, or anywhere for that matter.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Helltown Brewing
Reapers Harvest

LOOK: Amber colored ale with an off white lather. Leaves a little lace and exhibits a fine clarity.

SMELL: Toffee, chocolates, floral hops, pine, grapefruit and mildly sweet smelling.

TASTE: Delicious flavors of hop and robust malt. Grapefruit, pine, and a spicy rye. Rich nutty, chocolatey malts are coming out more as it warms. Finishes more on the bitter side, with a heaping helping of resinous, earthy, pine-like hops.

FEEL: Medium bodied, somewhat crisp and very satisfying. Drinks easily given the strength.

OVERALL: Another high quality offering from the greater Pittsburgh area outfit. This is a world class brew and honestly, I feel a bit spoiled that this is a local offering.

Reaper's Harvest from Helltown Brewing
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.