Chaos - Backlash Beer Company

to view more.
Ratings: 55 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by muzzy:
4.19/5  rDev -3%

Had 3 pints of Chaos on tap (back to back) at the Blind Pig in Athol MA. Not exactly a 'session' beer, but it's tasty and easy enough to drink to qualify in my book.

Appearance - probably the weakest part of the beer. It's light gold in color with minimal head (less than a finger) - although it does leave nice lacing on the glass as you drink it.

Smell - Fruity, particularly grapefruit and citrus, but there's some pine and caramel there too.

Taste - The best part of this beer. Very grapefruit forward taste, although not what I'd call a grapefruit bomb. Also strong citrus, and then caramel malt body and what I consider the right amount of bitterness, then it finishes clean which makes me want another sip (gulp!). This is a delicious beer that's nicely balanced and completely masks the ABV.

Mouth - The right amount of carbonation, but a little thin (vs. syrupy). I like this as it leaves me wanting another sip.

Overall I was very impressed. Makes me want to visit Backlash to see what else they're making. I consider Chaos a nice midpoint between a bitter West Coast IPA and the fruitier East Coast IPAs.

4.39/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a milky, brighter orange color. Head is thick and well formed. It's mostly white and pretty tall. Lacing reminds me of cob webs. Stringy but thick at points. After the beer settles, I can see massive amounts of detritus floating and sitting on the bottom of the glass. Globes of solid mass swirl around my tiny ocean of beer. I am into it - if it adds flavor then let that shit float around!

S-From their web page, I find that this brew uses Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, Mosaic and Galaxy hops...what an all star cast of greens. The nose fits right into the mold of what my favorite beers smell like. It's a mutant hoppiness that has many different aspects and specific scents and all the intricacies somehow form into one glorious scent. My only critique: I love the aroma but it doesn't explode out of the glass like the best ones do.

T-The flavor is downright tasty! Every hop they used brings forth some of their own unique flavor intricacies. It's almost like biting into a tangerine that was wrapped in fresh, wet, moss (a description of which nobody may ever agree with). Melon juice Bellini. Fresh, zesty, fruit purée. Bitter papaya. God. Damn. Tasty.

M-Juicy. Hop-oily. Bitter but it never goes overboard. Alcohol hidden well. Prickly carbonation. High drinkability for a DIPA.

O-The label says "if hops could scissor kick you in the mouth, it would taste like this beer". Bold words...If any brewery could be considered a 'Broery' it would be Backlash. Brass knuckles and flat brims litter their beer labels. It may not be my taste of labeling or visual marketing but they have consistently shown a prodigal skill set for crafting hoppy beer.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Overall Terrific beer from Backlash, first i've tried in the uprising series and I can only assume they saved the best for last.

A-Darker than the top double ipa's but poured with a beautiful top that I couldn't help but show to everyone in the room.

S-The smell was un-surprisingly hoppy and overall extremely pleasant.

T-The taste really blew me away, drinkability with the chaos is through the roof. Could not believe how smooth it was with a 8.5 abv kicker.

M-Underwhelming mouthfeel, and that's the only thing I didn't absolutely love about the beer.

O-Excellent beer, so happy I was able to get my hands on two as I know there aren't many that were made. Hope others out there are able to pour one soon. Cheers to everyone over in Holyoke!

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy dull orange body, three level fingers of white foam, stretchy lace.

Inviting, assertive citrus aroma. Grapefruit, orange.

Big, firm sweet malt upfront. Fruitiness. Huge bitter bite, with a lot of linger. Could use more fruit and maybe a little less bitter.

Mouthfeel is full and nicely prickly.

Not great, but pretty good and promising.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served in a snifter at the Union Brewhouse.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a hazy pale orange color with some vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Nice frothy lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Tropical, citrus, resiny pine, toasted malts, caramel, floral bouquet, and grassy.

Taste: Same as above, Nice mild bitterness. Tropical, citrus, lemony, caramel, toasted, and pine.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, delicious, mild tingly bitterness, medium to full bodied, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Amazing. Alcohol hidden well. Nice blend of hops and malt and the bitterness wasn't too crazy. This keg won't last through the weekend. I'll have more in a few days.

to view more.