Warka Premium (Strong) - Browary Warka Sp. z o.o.

Warka Premium (Strong)Warka Premium (Strong)

Browary Warka Sp. z o.o. visit their website

Euro Strong Lager |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 06-08-2005

3.36/5  rDev +1.2%

.5L emptied into a Pokal.

A: Pours a tea-like dark copper with a globulous, fluffy 2-finger light tan head which quickly receeds to a thick ring. No lacing.

S: Sweet barley malt, toffee, caramel, some grain. Hops are hidden in there somewhere.

M: Light-to-medium body with decent carbonation.

T: Sweet malt dominates, almost overwhelms. Hops provide some spice along the fringes, but never really make their presence known. Caramel, toffee and cane sugar molasses emerge through the midrange, finishing with a rather persistent vanilla aftertaste.

D: While the alcohol would certainly load up after a few of these, I'm afraid the overwhelming sweetness would get me well before then. This is a smooth, quality strong lager that was a good pick from my local Polish supermarket. I just wish it had more of a hop profile.

3.47/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear amber with a bit of dense white head. What head there is almost entirely dissipates fairly quickly, so there's basically no lacing.

S: Fairly subtle, sweet malt with a touch of alcohol warmth.

T: Mild grainy sweetness, finishing somewhat dry. The alcohol is pretty subtle. Kind of tastes like an imperial euro pale lager, which I suppose is more or less what it claims to be.

M: Medium prickly carbonation, medium body, slightly chewy finish.

D: Drinks reasonably easy, though it is a bit high on the ABV side (higher than it tastes).

3.8/5  rDev +14.5%

I kept passing this one up at the LCBO, I'm not sure why. Figured some good strong beers would help me through this damned snowstorm.

Pours a dark golden, almost amber hue, with about 1/3 inch of white head. A few scattered flakes of lacing, and a thin head survived the first few minutes. Not bad.

The smell is malty and sweet, with a note of butterscotch or caramel.

The taste is flavorful and surprisingly smooth for a 7%er. Malty with a bit of dark fruit, licorice and caramel. Filling and rich, but almost too sweet for my tastes. A slight tin flavour to the finish, but other than that a solid brew.

One of the better Polish beers I've encountered at the LCBO. Nothing to get too excited about, but still a fine effort. I'll probably pick up another bottle or two to get me through this wintry week...

3.03/5  rDev -8.7%

A - Light amber with a decent sized foamy white head. Good retention and a decent lacing.

S - Sweet and tangy malt with a slight grainy corn. Some floral hops. Slight skunky and ammonia smell.

T - Tangy caramel malt is the base. Some nutty flavors. Also a bit of apple taste. On top of that is a bit of floral hops. A little bit of spice and alcohol. Also a bit of skunk/ammonia flavor. Taste kind of like a malt liquor.

M - Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Slightly sticky feel.

D - Not bad drinkability. Taste is not really appealing, but not offensive. Sticks on your tongue. Goes down fairly simple.

Notes: Seems kind of like a Polish malt liquor. Flavors just don't quite work for me, but they grew on me a bit. I'm not entirely sure why, but they are just a little off to me.

3.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 500 ml. bottle that does have a "best by" date but it is unreadable. Sampled on February 22, 2010. The pour is actually kind of copper-amber with beautiful clarity but virtually no head to speak of. The aroma is malty with a bit of licorice and a vague dash of hops. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth. The taste is sweet, well-malted and has a nice toasted bread backdrop. There is also a hard liquor feel to it as well like bourbon. It was a strong ale that did a yeoman's job hiding the 7% ABV.

2.78/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Looks great. Darker then I would expect, slightly reddish yellow. More copper than gold.

S - Not much, but some light malty sweetness.

T- Starts out with not much, moves on to some sharp malt flavors, moves to a little bit of hopiness, and then is all but gone.

M - Light, leaves my mouth slightly watery.

D - Meh, I've had worse, but I wouldn't track this beer down.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

First off, the picture of the beer should be changed because it has long since changed to a new label. I saw Warka Strong at work, Wines Unlimited of Stratford CT, and noticed many of our European and especially Polish customers would purchase this item like hot cakes. While many of our other imports would be at a stand still this beer remained supreme. This encouraged me to at least try it, of course. When I first drank this beer I was very impressed by how smooth it was for a beer at 7%. It was a light amber color, plentiful taste of semi sweet characteristics that weren't overwhelming. Warka Strong is a delicious beer, and has a nice firm but subtle finish that doesn't linger a nasty hop-full mouth. After having this beer, I researched it, and have gathered the following: Warka Strong is a Polish Beer, from Zywiec Group, also available in a lower AVB, and is paired well with Polish pastries that include blueberries, and also buttered toasts. However, the beer is good by itself. Nothing to scream about, but impressive. This beer is available to our store through a small distributor called Amtec, in Fairfield County in Connecticut that has an all Polish Beer portfolio.

3.84/5  rDev +15.7%

11.2 ounce bottle. I hate when the imports jip me of that .8 of an ounce. The "best before date" is six months from now. Golden bronze color with a short-lived head and good clarity. Occasional bubbles stream to the surface. The aroma is better than what I'm used to in strong lagers. There's a welcomed absence of that alcohol/chemical scent. I only detect sweet carmel maltyness and grain. Good texture and it leaves that sticky sweet film on your teeth. Sweet malt flavor with a little carmel and perhaps a tiny trace of honey. Starts off easy and gets heavy towards the end in terms of drinkability. Pretty filling. Good beer.

3.65/5  rDev +9.9%

500ml bottle poured into pint glass dec16 2009

A clear bronze with bubbles popping up from everywhere, a fast falling fingers worth of head left no lace

S a malty sweetness that's fairly unique and hard to place

T quite sweet with a little citrus and some bread

M thick enough to please, almost a little syrupy pretty good for a lager

D the 7% is well concealed and when all's said and done I had few problems with this beer

I got a little more then expected while drinking this one and that's never a bad thing.

3.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle, 6.5% ABV. "Beer Unique Taste" - all righty then. Strong like bull, no?

This beer pours a clear medium copper amber hue, with two fingers of creamy, puffy, and latently bubbly white head, which settles slowly, leaving some more or less consistent water spout lace around the glass.

It smells of warm bready cereals, grainy pale and caramel malt, a touch of dried honey, mild leafy and grassy noble hops, and a suggestion of hot alcohol. The taste is semi-sweet, grainy caramel malt, a slight buttered toastiness, ethereal field honey, soft weedy, earthy hops, and a hint of warming alcohol.

The carbonation is fairly understated, just a wee frothiness flitting about, the body so-so smooth, a bit slick, warm, and sporting a heady medium weight. It finishes off-dry, the sweet, bready, and somewhat caramelized graininess lazily lingering.

While just a wee bit one-sided, this is an enjoyable and drinkable enough strong Euro lager, without any of the bitter edge or skunkiness I've come to expect from its forebears around here. The alcohol that begets the 'strong' denomination is noticeable, sure, but pretty well integrated, for the most part.

4.07/5  rDev +22.6%

Warka strong beer is a medium amber in color with a modest, off white head that didn't last. The aroma is malty sweet, caramel-like. The taste closely follows aroma, sweet caramel candy, no bitterness. The feel is medium bodied with minimal carbonation. Drinkability is very good.

This Polish lager tastes a wee bit like a Scottish ale to me. Quite enjoyable, I believe I will head back to the shop I got this and look for a sixer.

3.72/5  rDev +12%

Best before 6/14/09 so it is a little past its prime.

A - Golden amber with a thin head that quickly settles to a few strands of lace.

S - Slightly sweet and malty with pilsner and adjunct malts. Slightly grainy with a touch of caramel.

T - Somewhat sweet with grainy malts, caramel, a touch of spicy hops and lingering adjunct malts.

M - Feels under carbonated which is surprising for all the bubbles rushing to the top of the glass. Medium mouthfeel with a lingering sweetness.

D - Better on the colder side as the adjuncts come out a little more as it warms but I was still pleasantly surprised.

3.03/5  rDev -8.7%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a deep gold / light amber color with a 1" head that was gone quickly. Very little lacing.

S - Sweet & mildly fruity.

T - Sweetness upfront with a hint of citrus and a very mild bite of bitterness.

M - Average carbonation. A little sticky. The lack of a bitter aftertaste helps to hide the 7%ABV.

D - Drinkable yes but I find it's lacking some flavor.

2.93/5  rDev -11.7%

This beer pours a pale golden colour with nice carbonation that leaves a one finger head with average lacing,the first aroma i get is straight out malty honey not much else gets thru,it has an average mouthfeel with a honeyish,malty weak hop taste to it which finishes pretty smooth,this is definately i beer that im glad ive tried but wont go out of my way for it again.

My mom picked this up at the polish deli for me while picking up lunch.

Appearance- dark golden color, clear, good head but dissipates quickly

Smell- malt

Taste- malt, bland

Mouthfeel- thin, smooth

Drinkability- ok for an euro lager, probably won't buy it again

2.68/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark, golden color that is almost crystal clear. Provides a fair head, but it dissipates pretty quickly.

Smell: I found there to be a slightly funky malt aroma, very similar to a pilsner. Not offensive or anything, but merely average.

Taste: This beer is pretty smooth, but I think it is because it is somewhat bland. There's a minor bitterness in the flavor and I thought I could perceive the alcohol a little bit, but in the end, there's not a heck of a lot to this beer.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery. It helps compliment the style I suppose, but I was hoping for a bit more in this area.

Drinkability: I'm not terribly impressed. This is a beer that I'm glad I tried, but I doubt will get again.

2.79/5  rDev -16%

Appearance- A deep yellow brown color pours about a fingers worth of head and settles into a nice lacing. The color is beauitful and the head looks nice sitting on top of the glass.

Aroma- A faint malty aroma. I have to keep agitating the glass just to get a whiff. It has your typical German lager smells but it is very faint. A suttle fruity aroma is present as well.

Taste- The hops in this brew is very suttle and I find it mostly dominated by sweet malts. The taste is very sweet and reminds me of apple cider. This becomes all the more appearant as the brew warms up. Not my cup of tea but for the style I guess its close to or right on.

Mouthfeel- I cant say there is anything offensive about the mouthfeel. Its cold and wet goes down smooth.

Drink- I wont buy it again. I guess if you want a high alcohol sweet tasting lager, go for it.

Clear liquid had a deep amber color. Inch and a half white colored foam faded over two minutes. Average amount of carbonation rising rapidly. Sticky lace webs.

Cereal grains are quite strong up front and have a hanging hint of alcohol behind them. A blend of sweet corn and burnt barley. minimal hops bitterness to the aroma.

Grain presence carries over from the aroma to the taste, but has a much stronger barley quality then corn. An overall fruitiness is nice in strength. Hops bitterness also is evident.

A bit on the watery side. Carbonation is at just the right balance. Tastes cling a while in the mouth.

A decent brew. Would work well with a fully loaded pizza. Surprisingly balanced in the style. Well worth a try if you can pick up a bottle.

3.38/5  rDev +1.8%

My friend offered this beer to me when I was over to his house for dinner. He warned that it was strong and boy he was not kidding. The beer had a hint of a sweet taste to it but the bitterness on the tongue made it clear that it was not something that I was willing to drink more than one of at a time. It had no real aftertaste. Definitely would recommend.

3.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Got 500ml bottle from a friend visiting Poland and drank it back in Ireland.

Pours an amber bronze with fair carbonation and a 1 finger head. Lacing is maintained slightly throughout the drink.

Malt seems to be the main smell here with a hint of sweetness and caramel. No really dominant smells though and it is slightly weak in this category.

There is more in the taste of this beer than the smell, with the sweetness and malts and caramels again dominating. Not overpowering though. A hint of hops comes through too. I think that I would only have one of these in a session if I had my choice of other beers as well.

I'm glad that I tried this, but I'd like to try other types of this style to compare to, and will probably try other Polish beers before coming back to this one.

3.14/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours an amber colour with a slow bead, bit of head that goes astray. Quite nice lacing. Meh. The lacing saves an otherwise dull-looking affair.

A strong, almost bourbony nose with a thick, dark toffee sweetness lurking there. A slight bread yeast character belies the Euro lager hiding behind this otherwise pleasant, malty nose.

This is quite smooth drinking on first impression, with a lagery yeast character but notes of honey and pancake mix blending with a slight earthiness. A bit too sweet for my liking with a thick, buttery mouthfeel and a strong malt flavour. A slight bitter tinge at the end rescues it from a honey ale sickliness. I definitely couldn't drink a lot of this, oh and alcohol is not all that well hidden, but it's not overpowering.

This is a remarkably average sort of beer, with it falling short on a lot of its aspects. Decent, but certainly not fantastic.

2.55/5  rDev -23.2%

Clear burnished golden coloured body with a frothy, but ultimately collapsing head of off-white foam. No visible carbonation. Lacing and retention are moderate. You can hear the crackling of the head as it dissipates.

Light malt-grain notes on the nose, a little rustic and organic. Not a huge amount on it, just grains, dust, a little earth and grass. But pleasant enough in its way.

Not much on the palate, a little sharp metallic note falling away to honey sweetness. Leaves if finally with the thin, unpleasant flavour of sugar water. Not big, not exciting, and not particularly pleasant. Mouthfeel is ok, but it doesn't have much to work with.

It's like pale, insipid, alcoholic lolly water. The hops that it needs are noticeably absent, and it ends up very reminiscent of a sickly alkoholfrei bier.

Not a fan.

3.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Six-pack purchased at a LITTLE liquor store in Westminster, CO -- the only one in the area open on a Sunday evening -- owned and operated by a young couple from Poland. We stopped there because there was a sign on the outside reading "We sell Polish beers," and I was looking from some Okocim Porter -- which they didn't have. So, I got this instead.

Moderate pour into a goblet yields a huge white head (four full fingers!) over a tawny golden clear body. Head fades to nothing very quickly.

Smell is mostly roasted malt, and a little bit of floral hops. Not much going on here.

Taste is pretty much like the smell -- not a lot going on. Pleasant enough for what it is, but it's not all that.

Best part of the beer is the mouthfeel: pretty slurpy for a lager.

Drinkability is okay.

A lager on steroids.

3.71/5  rDev +11.7%

500ml bottle poured into a Pilsner glass.

A: Poured smoothly into the pilsner glass with almost no head and non-existent carbonation. Nice clear deep brown color.

S: Smelled of coffee, carmel, and toffee with a faint hint of something else sweet.

T: First sip went down well. The slightly sweet taste came out along with the hints of carmel and toffee. It isn't overly complex or bitter. Left a light pleasant aftertaste that finished well.

M&D: It continued to go down well. Coated the mouth lightly and easy to drink. The alcohol content was not that noticeable for 7%. You could easily drink a few before they caught up with you.

Would recommend trying especially at $1.50 a bottle. If the belgian strong ales are little expensive this is a nice alternative.

3.41/5  rDev +2.7%

While walking by the polish beers I caught a glimpse of Kazimierz Pulaski, American Revolutionary War Hero. With a bottle label that cool I decided it deserved a try.
Warka poured a pale orange kinda burnt orange that looked like it wanted to turn light brown. Nice inch white head that dissapates quickly and leaves no lacing. The smell was grainy, bready, with scent of alcohol present. It also had a sweetness smell I have difficulty labeling almost like juicey. Tasted of sweet caramel with some nuttiness, the 7% wasnt detectable in the taste. The mouthfeel was smooth with nice coating. The drinkability would be high if it werent for the fact that its a strong euro lager.

Warka Premium (Strong) from Browary Warka Sp. z o.o.