Size 7 - Steel Toe Brewing

Steel Toe Brewing visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: jera1350 on 09-03-2011

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

Size 7 because it's 7%? Bottle thanks to spycow.

A - Amber colored beer with a bit of red in it. Nice sized beige head that left behind some good lace.

S - Sweeter side here, with tropical fruits and sugar. It's more malty than you would expect, although there is the citrus and grapefruit hops that are present.

T - Hops and malts, mostly starting out as citrus and sweeter and finishing up more piney and bitter. Not bad.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a little bit of booze in there.

O - Pretty big for a single IPA. It's good but not great. I like it and would drink it again but there's many other offerings out there I'd go for first.

A- Pours a translucent amber with a two finger head that leaves some spots of lacing behind.

S- Juicy grapefruit, pine needles, orange zest, floral notes and a hint of tropical fruits

T- Fresh ruby red grapefruit, orange zest, floral notes, dried apricot, hint of caramel malt and pine resin at the finish.

M- medium carbonation and body with a oily mouthfeel that finishes bitter.

O- A really nice ipa from a new brewery and a great steal at less than $5. Looking forward to trying more of their offerings.

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a stemless globe.

Thanks to hannydawg for sharing this bottle!

When Gregg tells me to try a really good IPA, I tend to listen... This one pours a clear brass topped by a finger of cream-white foam. The nose comprises leek, light-colored greens ("tch, you still need chlorophyll?"), and caramel. The hops could have become strident if not kept in balancing check by the caramel. The taste brings in more of the same, with a bit of pine resin dripping in for good measure, further cutting the abrasive nature of the hops (the leek character, in particular). The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a thick-ish feel, and a dry finish. Overall, a nice IPA, but one whose hop profile just didn't work for me. It's not everyday I disagree with hanny on nice IPAs, but this is definitely one of them. It's not bad, don't get me wrong, but not one I'd really wanna have again real soon...

Thanks to brydeen. 22oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

Pours an excellent, clear, bright copper color. Like a brand new shiny penny. The head reaches about a finger and a half or so but I suspect that might be because that's all the room that is left in the glass. The foam thins out fairly quickly leaving a nice off white cap. Nice lacing clings to the glass with each sip.

The nose is pretty hoppy right off the bat, but it's not overpowering. Nice citrus hops, mostly grapefruit along with some lemon, mix with some floral hops are they are balanced somewhat with a sweet malt character. There is some pine present as well but it's pretty subtle.

I'm not sure if my nose is off today or if this is how the beer always tastes but the pine is considerably more present in the taste. In fact, it's the dominant flavor. The citrus that was in the nose is here (the floral hops aren't) as is the nice malt sweetness. The pine is back at the finish, providing a nice, dry bitterness.

Medium body with medium carbonation. Very crisp with a nice dry finish.

This is a really good IPA. The label says something about not calling this beer balanced, any while it's not all that balanced in general, it is relative to style. Either way this beer is really good.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into globe glass. Thanks to Jesse for hooking this one up.

A. Poured a 2 finger head. Thick lacing. Good retention. Color is dark orange with some amber hues.

S. Nice hop aroma. Pine and citrus hop aroma. Not a whole lot of malt detected beneath the prevalent hops. Pretty nice grapefruit aroma.

T. Great tasting IPA. Really kind of a unique flavor for me. Mostly all of the taste is hop flavor, but really not very bitter at all. Grapefruit and citrus flavors. Very easy drinking.

M. Medium bodied. Nice mouthfeel. Medium carbonation.

O. From the Steel Toe website "If you ever call Size 7 balanced we’ll kick you where it hurts (in the hop sack)". This IPA is a nice showcase for hop flavor without alot of bitterness which leaves a very easy drinking IPA. Not a whole lot of malt flavor going on at all with this one.

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Enjoyed this as part of the Blind BIF, courtesy of JohnPPutz

Blind Reveiw #2

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums ... 75931b.jpg

A - Pours a brilliant transparant gold with a 1" foam crown that is stubborn as all hell. Over a minute has passed, and it's receded less than half that amount. 4.0

S - My goodness. This is a fabulous IPA. I just know it. Nose is heavy on grapefruit, and citrus in general. Virtually no pine element, and a lovely hops balance. This is a great smelling brew. 4.5

T - Here we go... Interesting. This is a very mild IPA. Perhaps a "hoppy" pale ale? This is very smooth. Grapefruit, mild citrus, pine showing through for the first time. I'm liking this. 4.5

M - This is delightful. Everything plays so nicely in this beer. The malt is very light indeed, which is good, because malty beers, even on the finish, aren't my bag. 4.0

O - Like I said, I know this is an IPA, and a find one at that. The question is, which one. My shipper is from IL and has undoubtedly read my wants and my reviews. 4.0

I'm going to take a stab at a Three Floyds brew. Dreadnaught or Arctic Panzer Wolf.

Survey says???

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums ... 230662.jpg

Steel Toe Brewing Size 7 IPA. Instant permanwant. Seriously. I could have never guessed this, because I've never had it. The fact that I thought of it along the lines of two FFF IPA's that I've had, and loved, speaks volumes. You're on fuckin' fire, John. My goodness.

Bottle courtesy of Chris (Spycow). Served in a Hair of the Dog tulip.

A - A creamy thin white foam settles to a wispy cap, thick collar, and minimal lacing. Transparent dark golden body.

S - Surprisingly malt forward, with tropical fruits, icing sugar, pine, and a slight alcohol note that is uncharacteristic of a single IPA. Solid, but doesn't really wow me.

T - Taste is also fairly balanced, with brown sugar malts and citrus hops mingling mid-palate and then yielding to a piney and fairly intense bitter finish.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, dry finish, and a touch of warming alcohol.

D - I guess I was expecting a knockout here after seeing this on the "Top New Beers" list for a while. Not real problems, but this is just a nice, balanced IPA without any major flaws. Pretty easy to drink. I've always found the Twin Cities to be a microcosm of the East Coast/West Coast divide in the US, and this beer is consistent with that impression. Not sure of the freshness on this bottle, but I'd be willing to try it again.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

Big thanks to LaCoursiere for this beer.

A: Pours out a crystal clear, totally translucent gold with only a thin ring of white head along the top of the beer.

S: The scents in this beer are nice mix of pine and citrus. I'd love to say that there is a nice balance of hops and malts, but this beer is all hops in the nose.

T: This beer actually starts off with a nice sweet malt kick, and then it turns on the pine. It's seriously like licking a pine tree. There is a bit of grapefruit in the finish and another touch of sweetness.

M: Medium bodied beer. This beer starts off wet and finishes dry. The flavors of this beer linger on the palate for a bit. This is any easy drinking brew.

O: I think this beer is pretty damn good. It's huge pine is a bit off-putting at first, but I'm liking it more and more as I drink it.

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Really happy to have this new brew available right down the road! Poured from a growler picked up tonight. Pours dark amber and clear as day? Interesting. Carbonation is balanced but not over the top. Huge citrus nose with press pine sprigs tickling the senses. Taste is resinous and hoppy with the pine bite and a good malty backbone. Right there with furious and masala, if just below. Can't wait to send to my cali trustee for a review for the west.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Big thanks to DC55110 for throwing this in as an extra in a recent trade. I've had my eye on this ever since the brewery opened.

A - Crystal clear golden pour that puts up a frothy white head. Color and clarity are just gorgeous.

S - Really striking nose. A great blend of pine, melon, and bready malt character--very clean pine scent alongside of the melon that strikes me as especially appealing. Some alchohol heat in the background, and citrus character asserts itself as the glass warms.

T - Pine and resiny hop flavors dominate, along with some citrus flavors and just an inkling of breadiness from the malt coming through. As the glass warms, I'm getting some more earthy and spicy hop character, but this might simply be a function of palate fatigue. Firm bitterness in the finish and a subtle heat from the alcohol. Perhaps less hop flavor than nose suggested, but the flavors are clean and assertive. Absolutely wonderful.

M - Bone dry, but steady carbonation and sweetness and heat from the alcohol help round it out. Flawless IIPA.

O - Just a fantastic beer, and I'm really happy to have tried it at last. In fact, this is the beer I keep waiting for someone to make readily available on the East Coast--a beautifully clean, bone-dry IIPA. Always stoked when a new brew exceeds local hype (as a Minnesotan, this is said with wink and a nod to many friends back home). Acquire and enjoy without delay. Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

22 oz bottle poured into my bruery tulip.

A: Clear copper color. The pour dropped a big two finger head that left tons of sticky lace.

A: big hop aroma with notes of grapefruit and pine needles. A strong caramel malt backbone gives it some balance.

T: I get the caramel malt off the bat followed by the huge hop presence. Citrus starts off the hop explosion and it finishes with the flavor of sucking on fresh pine cones. The pine really is quite amazing. It finishes bitter as it should.

M: Medium body with the perfect amount of carbonation.

O: This is a very fine brew. I'll bet, when super fresh, this would be at the top of my list in terms of hoppy brews. As it is, it has faded a bit, but still a must try for all you hop heads.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

22 ounce bottle is beautiful with a pale amber copper colored hue flowing with an off white beige head going on. Aroma is super citrus with grapefruit and other big boasting hop loads coming through. The flavor is awesome with citrus, creamy notes of malts. More hops implode into citrus hop bursts, it goes down very smooth with sugar coated hops, each flavor adds to the pine citrus hop flavors. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with even flowing carbonation on the hop palate. Mouthfeel is citrus sugar coated with even hop oils rolling off of the catbonation, overall I love this style of beer the type of beer that I want to experience the real thing with.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending this one my way just so I could tick it! Shared this one with the NoDa Brewing crew awhile in celebration of their grand opening that weekend. Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. A vibrant yellow-orange with a one finger pure white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, pine, fresh cut grass, subtle citrus, subtle citrus hop, and pine hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, pine, grass, pine hop, subtle citrus, and earth. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. I was really surprised by this one as I wasn't expecting too much from it. Granted I had never tried it, so I guess I should judge a book by its cover. Lots of earth characteristics going on in this one, however, it was quite smooth and well balanced compared to most brews with these same characteristics. Definitely worth trying if you get the opportunity.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

A- Rich golden copper. Very little head, low visible carbonation.

S- Piny. Lemongrass, some spice and herbs.

T- Very nice citrus, grass, and pine. A whole lot of grapefruit, sticky and resinous, but finishes pleasantly bitter.

M- Well balanced, good carbonation and a great mouthfeel and the finish is really nice.

O- I will definitely but this one next time I'm in Minnesota. Great to see another quality production out of the Twin Cities.

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

Undated bomber poured into a pint. Guys at the store said that they had just gotten a shipment in, so I will assume it's fresh.

Pours a very clear amber color with a pillowy two finger off white head with good retention and lacing. Looks the part, although a tiny bit of haze = win. Maybe it's filtered.

Aroma is... meh. Tastes clean and bitter. Seemed a little dull at first but I am warming up to it. Good bitterness all around supported by a medium-light body and touch of malts, with good citrusy notes. Carbonation is on the lower side that's generally good in my opinion.

My nose might be off because I find it a little bit lacking in aroma and hop flavor. As if there were enough early additions (very very welcome) but not enough late additions/dry hopping. The brilliant clarity might be because of lack of dry hopping? Then again I believe no brewery would put out an IPA in this market w/o dry hopping it to the best of their judgment.

Overall, I like it. A good local option, better than any IPA put out by Summit, Fulton, Schell's. Does it excel Furious or Mama? Probably not, but regardless, it's a good beer at a good price! Thanks Keith for the recommendation.

4.5, 2, 4, 4.5, 4

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

I've heard great things about this new brewery; had to try it for myself. They just started bottling, so I know it's fresh.

Pours a very clear, bright golden orange. One finger of off-white head, nice retention and lacing. Decent carbonation visible.

Smell is really nice - it's strongly aromatic, with grapefruit, pine, and a bit of orange peel. The malt base is strong enough to support it well. I think I'm going to like this. The smell is quite potent compared to many IPAs, and dominated by wonderful hop smells.

Taste is, as expected, not quite as hop-forward. But here, rather than just being a hop showcase, it has great balance. The first taste was juicy, like a fresh hop beer, but that dissipated quickly. Solid sweet malts support the resiny pine hops well. It fades into just plain bitterness, but light and tingly, the way I like it. Tasty.

Medium-light body, slightly sticky. Medium carbonation, but the carbonation lasts throughout the taste, keeping the flavors on the move.

A really good addition to the local IPA market. Not on the level of Furious or Masala Mama (we're blessed with killer IPAs in the Twin Cities), but better than most of the rest. Lovely hops in the nose, great balance in the mouth. I like it.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

A - pours a nice amber color with a 1 finger head

N - nose is piney with some citrus hops and caramel malts

T - A barrage of citrus hops open this up. The hops subside a little to give way to caramel and cereal malts (more caramel than cereal). Ends with a ton of sticky, piney hop resin that lingers on the finish.

M - medium body with perfect carbonation

D - really solid IPA here. Lots of bold, bitter hops with a solid malt backbone. Big thanks to Nils for sending this my way - I have never heard of this beer or brewery before and was pleasantly surprised. Recommended!

Had a pint at Muddy Waters on Lyndale. This is a classic American IPA like you'd expect to find in Denver, Boston, or of course, Minneapolis. I liked that it wasn't too thick, there was just enough clean malt to let the hops stand up and shine. The character was rich with floral fruit, lots of citrus, but nothing too biting. It was a big, but smooth bitterness in the finish. I'd like to try this side-by-side with Masala Mama, this is an IPA I'll be happy to see around town.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

Golden IPA with streaks of copper through the thicker parts of the glass. Fluffy white head piles high in the glass. Glad it was oversized glass to hold back the rise from the bomber. Rush of grapefruit off the falling head was strong and wet the appetite. Doesn't hang in there through the whole beer, but is still a very nice citrus, lemon, light malt that is very much in the Northwest style, as stated on the website. Lace hangs nicely on the side of the glass as I taste it--hops linger in the nose yet as the soft bread hides below the fruity hop bite that swallows the tongue fully. Lingers nicely and can chew the hops a little. Body is a bit light, but seems to be on purpose to showcase those hops. 7% ABV is completely unapparent, so is a much bigger beer than it seems on face value. Very good IPA--maybe even one to keep around on a regular basis to drink during the week. Nice hop bite to feed the beast, but light enough to enjoy so you're not kicked in the butt by this Size 7.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Bright, clear burt orange color. Medium sized carbonation bubbles lead to a rocky and bright white colored, two finger head. Lace is pretty sticky and leaves large sheets of bright white lace. Quite nice.

Smell is bright as well. There are some intense citrus oils. It actually smell like a pile of fried habanero peppers. Intense orange sweetness. There are also some great leafy hop alpha oils. As this warms I am getting a bit of bready yeast smells.

Taste is bitter citrus of a yellow grapefruit. The leafy hop flavors I smelled aren't there as much in the taste. Kind of a bummer, but the bitterness that has ruined my tongue is quite nice. Kind of reminiscent of Ruination with a bit more orange sweetness.

Mouth is crisp and almost prickly. Carbonation is spritzy with a delicate body and an average, dry finish.

Overall I really liked this. I do wish I tasted more of the leafy, green hops I smelled. This might the most citrus hop bomb I have had that isn't from the Mountain Standard Time Zone or West. Thanks to McNuts for the recommendation and TIMMYJ21 for the extra.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Pours a nice crystal clear copper color with very light tan head. A bit of lace is present.

S- Nice grapefruit, pine, marmalade,

T- Starts out with some malty breadiness and then the hops hit. Big grapefruit, pine and grassiness. Excellent long hop finish with hop oils lingering for a long time.

M- Low carbonation with nice big feel. Again, excellent finish on the palette.

D- Overall, pretty drinkable and a beer I welcome to Minnesota.

3.77/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up in a trade with Dan. Thanks! Poured from the bottle into my Newcastle Brown Ale pint glass.

A - Pours a golden amber color with two fingers plus of cream white head. Perfectly translucent, with no cloudiness. Very nice head retention on this one, lingering for a while. A little too much foam on the initial pour though.

S - Lemon pepper zest, pine, more citrus in the background. Having a hard time getting past the lemon pepper, but I rather enjoy it, so I'm not sure I'd like to get past it. Once I get deeper into it I can pick out orange peel as a distinct scent through the rest of the citrus backbone.

T - Immediately hit with piney hops, with the citrus and lemon pepper present in the nose taking a clear backseat. Very bitter finish in this one as well. As I let it sit in my mouth for a bit, the citrus states its presence, but only to a small extent. The lemon pepper that was so apparent and appreciated in the nose is merely a muted background note in the mouth.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit harsh, following from the taste. Definitely a very dry IPA, and it leaves me feeling parched. Hides the alcohol content well in the bitterness, but it is definitely a hop bomb, especially for a single IPA.

O - Overall, I can understand why this beer has gotten good reviews by those who enjoy a bitter hop profile, but it is simply a bit too much for me.

2.53/5  rDev -38.3%

Always looking for the next great local IPA. I've heard good things, anticipation high here.

Pours a nice light gold, clear. Looks IPA-ish. Nice carbonation.

Smells are all hops.. Pretty strong. Floral pine, grapefruit rind. West coasty. More perfumey and pine sol than I prefer, but overall pretty good.

Very perfumey on the palate. Fake pine, like pine sol perfume. If pine sol marketed a perfume, packaged it in a 22oz. dark bottle with a green boot sticker, and you poured it into your pint glass, it would taste like this. This effect worsens as you move through the bomber.

No resin at all, needed some chewiness in the body to showcase the hops. Disappears right away on the palate..

I didn't finish the last 1/3. Too light and perfumey, tired of it rather quickly.

I've had this beer several times, each time I'm less impressed. I like their Furious clone, Rainmaker. I dont' like this.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

I really like this....top notch west coast style IPA that reminds me of O'Dell in style....it is tremendously flavorful and not just a bitter hop bomb....

A-regal gold....nice lacing

S-Very hop forward....grapefruit like citrus...also a real healthy dose of floral/piney hop notes.

T-First thing that hits me is the tasty malt backing. Blends perfectly with the hops used. Almost a cookie dough like malt dimension....hops are oily and leave a nice lingering unsweetened grapefruit bitterness...a bit of garlic on the taste but very light...guessing Citra hops are a part of this as the garlic is not real big like Summit hops give off..

M-Perfect carbonation....body is medium to full....nice dry finish...

O-I'd call this Minnesota's best IPA...I'm not a huge fan of Masala Mama or even Fitger's one....Furious is fine but I'd buy this one over that although they are kind of different beasts...

4.18/5  rDev +2%

Slightly hazed orange body. Bubbly ivory white head. Lacing is quite abundant. Juicy hop aroma with juicy fruit tones and citrus, grass, cannabis, caramel and pine. One of my first thoughts when I tasted it was "balanced" until I remembered that the bottle said it would kick me in my hop sack if I called it balanced, so let me explain myself... I'd rather not have to wear a cup while drinking this beer. It's nicely balanced for an IPA and that is meant as a compliment. That doesn't mean that malt and hops add equal parts to this beer. Just that that the malt provides a nice sturdy presence behind the facades of hop flavors and bitterness. Hops give the beer much flavor and complexity. Resinous characteristics. Pine sap and grass. A little smokey mary jane. Clean bitterness. Quite drinkable and flavorful.

Size 7 from Steel Toe Brewing