2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Size 7 - Steel Toe Brewing

Size 7Size 7

Steel Toe Brewing visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: jera1350 on 09-03-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 343 | Reviews: 94 | Show All Ratings:
Justin_Neff

4.7/5  rDev +13%

Another bottle purchased from France 44 while on business trip to Minny - yes, drank in the Hotel room. Poured in the Surly pint glass, also purchased from France 44.

A: I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like this. The clarity is unreal. I feel like I am looking at golden-colored water. The lacing on the glass is nice and a small layer remains on the head of the brew throughout the drink. The first 5 appearance I've given.

S: Hop-nasty. A little malt, a little pine, and a ton of citrus. This is awesome. The only reason this isn't a 5 is because I had to stick my face way into the glass to get a strong whiff. Smell fantastic, but isn't particularly strong.

T: This one isn't "well balanced" and that's awesome. Not malty at all. This is how I like my IPA's to taste. I want a lot of hops and a little malt. Buttery, piney for sure, I think it's amarillo hops, and citrus taste. There is almost a pineapple presence, but definitely some grapefruit.

M: Light body, creamy, medium carbonation.

O: I feel like people often say "this is for hop head's", but this truly IS FOR HOP HEAD'S! I really, REALLY like this one. As mentioned earlier, I like IPA's that aren't well balanced and the hops outshine the malt. Well this one fits the bill.

12-11-2012 01:26:51 | More by Justin_Neff
Powderhornphil

Some nice lacing. Beer looks like a quality IPA should. Nothing off putting in the appearence.

The smell upon cracking the bottle is fantastic. It seems to fade a bit after the pour but a nice smelling beer. Earthy and citrus, tropical hops.

The taste is a little piney, a little citrus. Pretty heavy malt background. Could use a slightly dryer finish in my opinion.

Overall a great beer but I always seem to want just a touch less malt whenever I have this.

10-12-2012 00:40:11 | More by Powderhornphil
PerHops

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Rich golden copper. Very little head, low visible carbonation.

S- Piny. Lemongrass, some spice and herbs.

T- Very nice citrus, grass, and pine. A whole lot of grapefruit, sticky and resinous, but finishes pleasantly bitter.

M- Well balanced, good carbonation and a great mouthfeel and the finish is really nice.

O- I will definitely but this one next time I'm in Minnesota. Great to see another quality production out of the Twin Cities.

12-11-2011 04:13:02 | More by PerHops
caskstrength

2.45/5  rDev -41.1%

Always looking for the next great local IPA. I've heard good things, anticipation high here.

Pours a nice light gold, clear. Looks IPA-ish. Nice carbonation.

Smells are all hops.. Pretty strong. Floral pine, grapefruit rind. West coasty. More perfumey and pine sol than I prefer, but overall pretty good.

Very perfumey on the palate. Fake pine, like pine sol perfume. If pine sol marketed a perfume, packaged it in a 22oz. dark bottle with a green boot sticker, and you poured it into your pint glass, it would taste like this. This effect worsens as you move through the bomber.

No resin at all, needed some chewiness in the body to showcase the hops. Disappears right away on the palate..

I didn't finish the last 1/3. Too light and perfumey, tired of it rather quickly.

I've had this beer several times, each time I'm less impressed. I like their Furious clone, Rainmaker. I dont' like this.

11-06-2011 23:08:43 | More by caskstrength
sacrelicio

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Fantastic new IPA. Nice orange, gold, copper color. Rich mouthfeel, tropical and pine smell and taste. I get papaya, mango, pine sap and even berry aromas. Solid bitterness that is well knitted into the fruit and pine flavors. Delicious. Seamless execution. The best IPA in bottles that MN has to offer.

10-15-2011 05:05:30 | More by sacrelicio
SummitVA

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Big thanks to DC55110 for throwing this in as an extra in a recent trade. I've had my eye on this ever since the brewery opened.

A - Crystal clear golden pour that puts up a frothy white head. Color and clarity are just gorgeous.

S - Really striking nose. A great blend of pine, melon, and bready malt character--very clean pine scent alongside of the melon that strikes me as especially appealing. Some alchohol heat in the background, and citrus character asserts itself as the glass warms.

T - Pine and resiny hop flavors dominate, along with some citrus flavors and just an inkling of breadiness from the malt coming through. As the glass warms, I'm getting some more earthy and spicy hop character, but this might simply be a function of palate fatigue. Firm bitterness in the finish and a subtle heat from the alcohol. Perhaps less hop flavor than nose suggested, but the flavors are clean and assertive. Absolutely wonderful.

M - Bone dry, but steady carbonation and sweetness and heat from the alcohol help round it out. Flawless IIPA.

O - Just a fantastic beer, and I'm really happy to have tried it at last. In fact, this is the beer I keep waiting for someone to make readily available on the East Coast--a beautifully clean, bone-dry IIPA. Always stoked when a new brew exceeds local hype (as a Minnesotan, this is said with wink and a nod to many friends back home). Acquire and enjoy without delay. Cheers!

12-30-2011 01:08:32 | More by SummitVA
BuckeyeOne

Washington

4.2/5  rDev +1%

I bought a couple of 22 oz. bottles of this in Minneapolis on a Monday after it was bottled the previous. Super fresh.

Looked like a typical NW IPA --- light amber with a off-white head that lingered down the glass.

Smelled like freshly-squeezed grapefruit and orange. I little bit of sweetness in there but barely. Fantastic. One of the most aromatic IPAs I've had in a long while. I imagine this is dry-hopped and it might fall off quickly, but as fresh as I had it, it knocked my socks off.

Tasted like a citrus bomb with a bitter kick. Grapefruit and orange just like the nose and super flavorful. I didn't pick up any pine that other reviewers found. But as this beer warmed up, it definitely got sweeter. I mean like sticky sweat. Not not from the malt, though. I wonder if the brewers used a ton of sugar to dry this out and that was what I was picking up. Not so noticeable when refrigerator cold, but definitely as it warmed.

Medium mouthfeel, a little on the syrupy side. But only a little.

This is a damn good IPA that I will buy again and again on my frequent travels to Minneapolis. Would like to try on tap.

05-17-2013 19:48:46 | More by BuckeyeOne
xmorgan

4.41/5  rDev +6%

Had at Muddy Waters in Minneapolis

It was a tasty IPA THAT was middle of the road

It had a nice appearance with great lacing and a smell of citrus and pine
Bitterness was what we expect for single IPAs and finished with a dry Hoppy mouth feel It is good. It is not the best but a decent IPA

05-26-2013 22:30:03 | More by xmorgan
MarkIntihar

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up in a trade with Dan. Thanks! Poured from the bottle into my Newcastle Brown Ale pint glass.

A - Pours a golden amber color with two fingers plus of cream white head. Perfectly translucent, with no cloudiness. Very nice head retention on this one, lingering for a while. A little too much foam on the initial pour though.

S - Lemon pepper zest, pine, more citrus in the background. Having a hard time getting past the lemon pepper, but I rather enjoy it, so I'm not sure I'd like to get past it. Once I get deeper into it I can pick out orange peel as a distinct scent through the rest of the citrus backbone.

T - Immediately hit with piney hops, with the citrus and lemon pepper present in the nose taking a clear backseat. Very bitter finish in this one as well. As I let it sit in my mouth for a bit, the citrus states its presence, but only to a small extent. The lemon pepper that was so apparent and appreciated in the nose is merely a muted background note in the mouth.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit harsh, following from the taste. Definitely a very dry IPA, and it leaves me feeling parched. Hides the alcohol content well in the bitterness, but it is definitely a hop bomb, especially for a single IPA.

O - Overall, I can understand why this beer has gotten good reviews by those who enjoy a bitter hop profile, but it is simply a bit too much for me.

11-09-2011 02:45:16 | More by MarkIntihar
Ilafan

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

This local Twin Cities beer from St. Louis Park is really good. It combines the sharp bite of a typical IPA with a surprising tartness in a slightly fruity aftertaste. The 7% alcohol content is strong but nowhere near overwhelming. The colorization is a pretty dark gold. It has a small head with a tiny amount of lattice. Overall? Very good craft beer!

06-11-2013 19:32:59 | More by Ilafan
hoody711

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Special thanks to Karsten for shipping me this for free. Yowza. 22 oz bomber. Never heard of the brewery before. Excited.

A - Poured into my Founders tulip. Nice light amber color, one finger of off-white head. Lacing is present but not the best I've seen.

S - Oh man, smells very familiar. Lunch maybe? I know I've smelled a very similar beer. Bready then some definite fruits that dominate the middle and end and make this a wonderful-smelling beer. Very, very good. No hint of booze, which I guess isn't surprising at 7%. I almost am scared to try it, lest it doesn't live up to the smell.

T - Interesting. Malty and thick, sweet. A nice blast of hops follows, but it's not a tongue-scorcher, and it settles well. Holy crap, just gets better as you make your way through it. Great balance.

M - medium bordering on heavy. It's chewy almost at first then evens out a little. Hop bitterness hangs out for about ten seconds, but I am not really taking that long between sips (see above). I could use a tiny, tiny bit more carbonation. No booze still. Very easy to drink. Dangerously easy.

O - great first beer for me from Steel Toe. Even in the middle of the Texas summer, I could drink this all day. Yum.

Edit: Haha, just read the bottle. "If you ever call Size 7 balanced we'll kick you where it hurts (in the hop sack)." Oh well, I stand by what I said. This isn't Hercules, Devil Dancer, or Shutdown Ale, in my opinion. May not be perfectly balanced to most people, but I like it a lot.

08-24-2012 00:33:08 | More by hoody711
Penguin3200

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Really happy to have this new brew available right down the road! Poured from a growler picked up tonight. Pours dark amber and clear as day? Interesting. Carbonation is balanced but not over the top. Huge citrus nose with press pine sprigs tickling the senses. Taste is resinous and hoppy with the pine bite and a good malty backbone. Right there with furious and masala, if just below. Can't wait to send to my cali trustee for a review for the west.

Cheers
Bill

12-31-2011 02:58:01 | More by Penguin3200
tripelhops

Missouri

3.95/5  rDev -5%

got a bomber as an extra from steggers - thanks!
poured it into a tulip glass, color is a nice looking golden copper, a little bit of tan head from the pour that faded quickly with a little bit of lacing left hanging on the sides of the glass. The aroma was solid, citrus with piney undertones, not overwhelming but enough to let you know it was there. The tastes was more of the same, citrus, hint of pine and grassiness, a touch of sweet malt, and a fair amount of lingering bitterness. Definately a solid IPA.

10-29-2011 04:10:11 | More by tripelhops
dc55110

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

I've been waiting try this since the day I found out a brewery was opening up practically in my back yard (barely a five minute walk).

Poured from a 24hr old growler into a tulip.

Pours a nice murky, orange-ish, gold. A nice pillowy head rises a solid two fingers or more. As is dissipates a nice amount of lacing is left clinging to the glass.

I'm greeted by a heavy dose of citrus and pine. Very well blended, some grapefruit, fresh cut christmas trees, some floral notes as well a light sweet malty-ness.

The flavors mirror the nose nicely. Right up front there is the hop bite with sweet fruit flavors mixing in with resiny pine. A mellow sweetness lingers in the background... Aftertaste is distinctly sweet grapefruit.

Crisp, dry and bitter. The carbonation is right where it needs to be. As bitter as it is, it is not harsh on the taste buds.

Steel Toe is off to a great start, I may be a little biased or maybe I just want everything to be good because of my proximity. But I've tried all three of there offerings and shared them with others, and everyone has been impressed so far. Keep up the good work!

09-04-2011 04:49:46 | More by dc55110
blackdog1101

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

I bought this at the Four Firkins about 2 hours ago, and they got the delivery from the brewery about 2 hours prior. The brewery is about a mile from the store, so I trust this is about as fresh as beer can be.

A - Bronze colored, very clear, with a long lasting lace on the sides of my Duvel tulip.

S - Hops, and plenty of it. Grapefruit and pine, and a little bread dough.

T - This is all about the hops. At 7% abv I'd say this is on the verge of bring a DIPA. There is a slight alcohol note, but the hops more than make up for it. A background note of crystal malts keep the hops from overpowering.

M - Very good. There is some substance to the texture of this beer. Now that I'm about half way into this glass the carbonation had all but subsided.

O - I like this beer, and love that its brewed so close to home. I'm sort of moving away from IPA's lately, but this is a very solid west coast styled IPA. Highly recommended.

10-08-2011 22:45:24 | More by blackdog1101
TheFizzinator

4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear copper/ orangeish color, lots of head on this brew with opens up the delicious aromatics of it. Which is a huge citrus nose that explodes all in your nose. I really enjoy the nose on this one. Taste is not very balanced with a brief hint of the fruits in the nose followed by a a very hardy malt backbone that tastes just like moist crackers. Mouthfeel has a moderate amount of carbonation and a bubbly feel to it.

It says on the side this is a northwest style IPA and I found that to be true to its characteristics.

02-04-2014 19:31:37 | More by TheFizzinator
dave43

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

From the Steel Toe Website:

While the size of the boot might be a bit small, the intensity of the hop flavor and aroma in Size 7 more than makes up for it. We take prodigious amounts of hops and add them any chance we get to this Northwest style IPA. If you ever call Size 7 balanced we’ll kick you where it hurts (in the hop sack). 77 IBU's.

This beer is really a kick in the face with hops. Very intense aroma and flavor. This is definitely a west coast style IPA. The only thing holding it back is that it isn't balanced. But that's what they intended.

09-05-2011 20:02:09 | More by dave43
ratty918

4.48/5  rDev +7.7%

Apperance: Probably one of the clearest pale ales I have seen with abold gold hue. White head roughly 3/4 to an inch high

Smell: Great citrus and flowery aroma from the intense hopping.

Taste: A great hop taste with smooth malt a nice citrus finish

Mouthfeel: Starts smooth and finishes slightly bitter but not uber harsh, carbonation is medium

02-18-2012 02:28:53 | More by ratty918
Golfer3Aces

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A. Good looking beer. Clear gold.

S. Just hops.

T. Hops are very present. Not getting a lot if fruity flavors.

M. A little sticky. Fairly dry.

O. Good beer. Not the best of its style but very very drinkable. Will definitely buy this one again.

02-19-2014 00:59:47 | More by Golfer3Aces