Lunker - Steel Toe Brewing

LunkerLunker

Steel Toe Brewing visit their website
Minnesota, United States

English Barleywine |  14.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Steasy66 on 04-14-2012)

GRG1313, Aug 20, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Shango42, Jul 13, 2012

Devi0us, Jul 09, 2012

eawolff99, Jun 04, 2012
4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Dark, dark brown with a bit of amber. Small khaki colored head. No lacing.

S: Lots of dark rich sweet malts. Figs, prunes, apples and some oak. Whiskey is present.

T: Very rich.. Really sweet but not over sweet since the rye whiskey is very prominent (in a good way) and clears out the sweet richness. Lots of rich toffee and carmel malt. Oakiness, molasses and vanilla with a bit of spice from the rye whiskey.

M: Fuller body, soft carbonation. Nice.

O: Very well done. Drinkability is not too high, but not bad at all. Split it three ways, could of been good with two ways even. Surprised how good this is this fresh, age should do wonders to this.

herman77, May 25, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

A: Dark brown in color. Pours like syrup and is visibly viscous. Looks flat. Absolutely no head at all. 3.5

S: Aroma of musty apples and wood. Alcohol and alcoholic spice. 3

T: taste is very nice on the front end. Lots of sweet caramel and molasses. Vanilla. Opens up nicely as it warms. 4.0

M: Full bodied, thick, and viscous. Borderline syrupy. Very low carbonation. Hot - practically burns the throat. 4.0

O: Let me just say, I had this at a tasting and five of us couldn't kill off a bottle of it; there is no way I could have tolerated an entire bottle. When it was first popped, I didn't really care for it too much at first, but I'll admit it opened up pretty nice. Still it is a a bit hot and would probably benefit from some age. 4.0

Florida9, May 06, 2012

MrFootstones, Apr 24, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks to Goldenjet for sharing.
Poured from the corked and caged bottle into a snifter.

A: Beautiful dark, dirty burgandy with no head at all. Nice lacing on glass.

S: Sweet and enticing - toffee, vanilla and some toast. Subtle alcohol fumage.

T: Lovely. Sweet molasses/caramel with toasted malt flavors and an underlayer of rye. Taste is not impacted by the alcohol at all.

M: Lack of carbonation allows it to coat your mouth like velvet, leaving behind exactly what it should.

O: Dangerously delicious. Entirely drinkable now and curious to see what it will become with age. Well done. Looking forward to other Steel Toe barrel aged releases.

FourBetter, Apr 19, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

I love me some rye, and Templeton is no exception.

Cork fights you to release the brew. Red, deep red with a nice strong white head. Smells is rye, barrel, more rye, and some sugar. Fairly dry, hotter than fuck, and more barrel and rye. I like it, it has a deep earthy flavor with pepper spice and a coffee bitterness. Caramel and deep fruits stay muted but alive and the beer sticks around as a low burn in the belly.

I like it a lot. I think it wil be a 4.5 brew in a year. But now? way to damned hot for human consumption.

olympuszymurgus, Apr 17, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

My first time rating on this site.
I first tasted Jason's beer in Pacific City Oregon and was in town when I heard about this release. Jason made only great beer out there and Lunker is exceptional. I'm really glad I was able to get some.
A: Deep burgandy. At first the appearance was cloudy, but once the temp warmed to the recommended 55, it cleared up.
S: Full. Toffee, vanilla from the cask, grain.
T: Covers the tongue. Caramels, complementing bitterness, rye, toasted malt, slight stone fruits, sweet tannins in the finish. Excellent blending of lasting flavors. Alcohol was crisp, but remains part of the palate for such a big beer.
M: Perfectly carbonated. Any more it would have detracted from the blending, any less would have flattened out the aromatics. Coated the mouth well.
O: Great barrel aged beer. On par or better than the award winning BA from Pelican Pub. Stored bottles will be 5.0! I am so sorry I will miss his BA Imperial Dark release next month.
Cheers

DocsAdvice, Apr 16, 2012

Ungertaker, Apr 15, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Sender, Apr 15, 2012
4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Shared at Steasy66's on the day of its release by Dave, thanks! Poured into a snifter.

Oddly cloudy and rusty hued, appearance is the only downside of this beer. Very very good aroma with plenty of toast, toffee, coconut and barrel notes. The aroma is smooth and rounded out, but the taste is a little rough... and I like it!

Very sharp tasting, with liquor like features, strong toffee and some bitterness. It would be nice to see the bitterness fall off a little, but the sharpness/heat, I don't mind at all.

Someone remarked that the carbonation was low, I thought it was just right. The body is not syrupy because of the booze I think, but some sweetness lingers in the finish.

I was on fence about dropping 20 bucks a pop on something no one has tried before, but I am quite happy.

tewaris, Apr 15, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Bomber into snifter

A- Deep burgandy, no head
S- Rye, vanilla, toffee
T- Caramel malt, sweet, mild rye barrel
M- Low carbonation, Very Hot, good consistency
O- This is a great beer, but very hot at the moment. The barrel character is not dominant anyway right now so I see this as being a great beer to age.

Steasy66, Apr 14, 2012