Steelhead Double India Pale Ale - Mad River Brewing Company

Steelhead Double India Pale AleSteelhead Double India Pale Ale

Mad River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steelhead Double India Pale Ale Alström Bros

CEDAMA, Mar 14, 2012

cutout, Jan 16, 2012

Reddogelite, Aug 06, 2014

Pours a perfect color "indescribable to words" doesn't quite describe. Notes so mellow I find myself placing my nostrils deep into the bottle long after the beverage has been consumed experiencing crispness on a mental level.
I feel like a woman who received a bouquet on an old black and white film. I'm now plunged deep into the plot of a Film Noir movie, the bad boy with the dame running from the law and a loan shark named Tippy.
After which, the universe implodes; but the real question is does anyone hear it?

vegantreats, Aug 30, 2009

baconman91, Feb 23, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +28.4%

Good friend of mine brought this from Ca. poured beautiful nice head very little lace my only disappointment. very good beer. Represents the style well with a great mouth feel and aroma. Been a long time since I have posted any reviews promise to post more as I work in a beer bar and am encouraged to try everything.

edraid, Jun 28, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +27.6%

Never heard of this brewery or this beer before it showed up in my local shop. The steelhead logo talked me into grabbing it, and I'm glad I did. This DIPA pours a brilliant golden orange with a dense bubbly head. Lots of lacing going on, sticky! Smell is an intense spicy floral hop blast. At this point I can wait to sip. Taste is an assortment of hop aspects. Piney grapefruits, with just a hint of some sweet malt making an attempt to balance this thing. FAIL! Mouthfeel is blasted dry from the hop load. Very drinkable despite the intensity of the hops. I hope to see it frequent the shelve where I shop.

crayphish, Nov 16, 2008
4.84/5  rDev +27.4%

Deschutes321, Aug 12, 2014

TrentRundell33, Sep 06, 2012

shizzy77, Jun 14, 2012

snohojimbo, Mar 13, 2013

craftbrew502, Feb 17, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +25%

Great beer. The best IPA I've had. There is a reason why it is $12.50 per 6-pack. One of the few expensive beers that live up to the price-point.

Only sold in 6-packs at my local store. It was recommended by the manager and the guy was right. What a great beer, high 8.6, not noticable, (may be noticable in the grammer in this review) very smooth, drinkable all night.

mjr955201, Jan 04, 2009
4.73/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought in bottle at Jungle Jims in Fairfield OH. BALANCE! This beer has it. If you're like me and can't personally handle the citrus/hops of traditional IPA, this is your beer. Beautiful malt/hop balance without coming across dark or roasty. Pours dark golden and unexpectedly murky. Still looking for more beers like this one and have found anything to rival out. Let me know your suggestions, if any. Hats off to Mad River, this is my absolute favorite brew.

JerryGlumm, Nov 19, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

I bought this beer partially to try something different and since its locally brewed. Has a very strong apricot smell and flavor. Pours a nice dark orange color with about a 1 inch head. A very strong flavor of fruit and alcohol. Still very drinkable and will get you thoroughly drunk if consumed in mass quantities. One of the better beers I've had in my limited beer drinking career.

clint21, Mar 08, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +22.4%

12 oz twisty bottle. Went to pick up the bottle and the label came clean off. Sheesh...they still haven't fixed that? STILL????

Pours out an impressive near-glowing amber color, with a thick 2 finger head. Beautiful lacing as this sits for a while. As with all MR brews, this is bottle conditioned.

Fantastic aromas wafting up from this one. Sweet, sweet citrus (pineapple, grapefruit) and resinous pine/cedar notes. I'm salivating like crazy as this sits in front of me.

Biting melon rind bitterness meets my palate, but a solid caramel malt backbone fills in shorty. This is really smooth for the style, I have to pace myself here. This is a classic and well-rounded west coast hop bomb, and sweet nectar for me. Great yeasty esters assosciated with all of the MR beers is also evident here, albeit soaked in hoppiness.

Smooth, soft mouthfeel typical of bottle conditioned MR beers. Medium bodied with active carbonation. The is supremely drinkable despite the 8.6% ABV. I want more.

This is a worthy addition to Mad River's Steelhead line, and almost makes me miss Humboldt County. Good thing it's available in Oregon now. Highly recommended.

1whiskey, Mar 02, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +21.8%

A: A hazy, dull orange glow that has a unique quality to it, topped by a thick, three-finger white head that sticks around, and to the sides of the glass.

S: Fresh herbal and floral hop aroma, one that smells relaxed, somewhat piney, yet quite delicious. I could see myself sniffing this one like a glue addict all day.

T: Bold, yet balanced. I love it when brewers shoot for the big hop bombs but use the proper amount of malt to balance the flavor. This one has a spicy and floral hop flavor that doesn't kill the palate, and tastes great.

M: Lots of carbonation for a big, fluffy mouthfeel. Creamy in texture and oily from the hops as well.

D: Incredibly drinkable; this one gives you that feeling of tasting an ale made with fresh hops, only it's not. The laid-back nature and impeccable balance makes for an easy-drinking Double IPA that tastes amazing.

CharlieMopps, Oct 27, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +21.8%

I was very impressed by this double IPA. I would highly recommend it to anybody, I will break it down into the usual catagories:

Appearance- Dark amber with slight orange

Smell- smells of sweet citrus. very floral, also hints of papaya.

Taste- starts off sweet, then goes very floral on the pallette, and finishes off bitter. a bit too bitter, but the toasted malt and grapefruit help to conceal the bitterness a bit.

Mouthfeel- goes down very smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. It makes you want to take that next swig...

Drinkability- Excellent for a double IPA. Very impressed. I actually like this better than Stone Ruination. I would buy this more often if I didn't have to go out of my way to purchase.

ArrogantBastard, Mar 19, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +21.1%

Notes Sep 21, 2008
A hazy Golden amber color with lots of creamy white head. The aroma is sweet caramel malt citrus/pine hops and bread. The flavor is awesome,nice thick mouthfeel,and the perfect balance of hops and malt with a heavy yeasty bready caramel backbone.The higher alcohol content is well hidden.I pick up one or two of these at the beer store now and then. VERY very good,like candy,reasonably priced too.

WakeandBake, Dec 20, 2008

Traded my infected Basement Batch in for this
single at Freeman's, making it only .56 cents.
Thanks Kyle

12 oz ->Anchor steam pint

A ~ Very cloudy Mahogany that I can hardly see through.
This is a color that I like to see in IIPAs

S ~ Pinecone, Mint, with a little spicy scent that I cant place my finger on. There's some muted fruitier smells down in there as well, but they don't hop out at you. (not a pun)
Not a whole lot for a double.

T ~ WOW. Flipping my expectations out. Nice flavor throughout thats like fresh baked Wheat bread drenched in fresh Grapefruit juice! I'm not kidding. Whole bunch of freshly grated lemons & a Bit of juniper and coniferous forest flavors. Only a little bit of sappy hit on the way, way back of the throat.
Now In my top favorite IIPAs as a matter of fact.

M ~ Perfect carbonation and creamy mouth. Literally like whipped-creamy. Bit of that citrus/grass bite on the tongue with the sap flavors in the throat that remind you of what you just drank.
Nice balance that's not too malt forward that I notice certain breweries go for when they are attempting to balance a IIPA

D ~ Incredibly drinkable as a single, arguably sessionable sans the 8.6 ABV. They seriously could not approve this one anymore. Balanced without being too bread-y, with the appropriate amount of alcohol for the style without being too flabby and boozy.

Kudos for this recommendation it exceeded my expectation and has opened the Mad River door for me.
Seek this one out.

chocosushi, Jul 01, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

This is a great DIPA. It was recommended by the owner of the Liquor Collection when I was living In Hawaii.

A: Pours a deep, cloudy bronze color.

S: Smell is of hops and malt. Taking a quick whiff of this brew, the drinker will definitely get a hint of what's to come.

T: This thing tastes very hoppy and malty. As one reviewer pointed out, this taste is similar to a Barley Wine -- i.e., the sweet malt backbone cuts through the hops. The brew also finishes dry and refreshing.

M: This one hangs on your tongue after each sip -- which is a good thing.

D: Very drinkable, but because of the high ABV, having two is more than enough.

Great brew from Mad River! Now all I need to do is fined it out here in SoCal, lol.

Jedimaster1, Oct 01, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

A- thick copper, hazy pour, thick cream coloured two finger head. Good sticky lacing that follows down the whole glass.

S-balanced, malts and hops even out. Lots of malt and lots of bittering hops, just a hint of dry hop and alcohol.

T- wow, well balanced, I'd say medium malt, medium Bitterness, and a nice sweet hoppy biscuty finish, with just a touch of heat In the end. Alcohol is not dominant but you can tell its there.

M- low to medium carbonation. Full bodied, but not oily. Alcohol content gives it a bit more bite than it really has.

O- truly enjoyable, this beer has excellent balance. Drinkability is pretty good for a double ipa. Precise amount of alcohol. This style is tough and these guys totally pull it off. I will be back for more.

t2thebro, Mar 16, 2012

briandaube, Jun 21, 2012

aleslover, Sep 09, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

For a beer that gets relatively little buzz, I was quite impressed with this. Poured a slightly turbid ruby/amber. Nice hoppy aroma, hinting of citrus. Up front a touch peppery, with quick lemony hops bite. Follow-through was smooth. Surpisingly, and dangerously, drinkable, wiht the ETOH well-integrated in the flavor.

Brent, Sep 16, 2010