Jamaica Red Ale - Mad River Brewing Company

Jamaica Red AleJamaica Red Ale

Mad River Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-23-2001

Our legendary red ale. This mahogany hued ale brings an intense spectrum of spicy aromatic hop character balanced by a full-bodied caramel richness. 2011 Silver Medal winner at the Great American Beer Festival in the American Style Amber/Red Ale category.

IBU: 45.3
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Crystal 70/80, Wheat, Black Patent
Hops: Columbus, Chinook, Cascade, Willamette, Summit
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 459 | Reviews: 255

4.97/5  rDev +29.8%

Had on tap for $1.50 at Brixx in Charlotte...

Color was deep red and had a decent head. Smell was excellent and taste was near perfect for what I look for in a beer. Had a good hoppy flavor with wonderful malt too. It was not bitter at all and very drinkable, I'm hoping that it's this good from a bottle...if so this will be a regular in the fridge!!

4.84/5  rDev +26.4%

jamaica Red was the first of Mad River's products I tried and it was love at first taste! I am a hophead and this brew satisfies all my taste preferences. I called the brewery to tell them of my appreciation for this beer and lo and behold they sent me a package of shirts, glasses and coasters. A very tasty beer on any occaision.

4.73/5  rDev +23.5%

Nice frothy head and sweet orange aroma that balances nicely with the pungent, citric hops. I love the cloudy, reddish amber apperance. Nice malty flavor well balanced with PNW hops. A tasty treat. What I love most about this beer is the variety of the ingredients. The hops and malt don't just project one style/flavor, but give you a tasty melange. This is a great beer!

4.73/5  rDev +23.5%

A- A cloudy, deep orange/red beer. Has a great crystal ball effect. A thin white head forms with amazing retention.

S- Smells very hoppy, carmely sweet. A little cinnamon. Very very good.

T- Caramel, grass, citrus, and oddly enough... a smack of watermelon. Just the right amount of bitterness and complexity.

M- A great balance of carbonation, stickiness, bitterness, and oiliness.

D- I am totally blown away by this. This is going to be a regular in my fridge.

4.66/5  rDev +21.7%

Pours a ruddy, brownish red with a small head. Moderate lacing. Aroma is nice and malty with some strong hazelnut notes and an underlying Cascade aroma that spells "P.N.W.". The taste is similar, starting off sweet and bready with some notes of roasted nuts, pine and astringent greenness. Mouthfeel is great, a little on the chewy side of normal. Just how I like my reds. Drinkabilty is supreme. An absolutely delicious, if slightly less available PNW beer. Finely crafted brew.

4.63/5  rDev +20.9%

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Serving: Boot filled from a half keg tapped 18 hours ago

A: reddish, deep amber, thin ivory head

S: world class. floral.

T: slightly sweet, balanced hops

M: Very thick, creamy but not so intrusive on the palate- in a less than desirable way.

O: good beer man

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%

A: Cloudy, ruby colored upon the pour... some sediment seen floating near the bottom of the glass
S: Noticeable smell of sticky hops, not overpowering at all
T: Very unique...you get a hit of hops initially but the majority of the flavor is something that reminds me of exotic fruits, but not overly sweet...the end is characterized by some more hoppy bitterness
M: Smooth, crisp, very easy drinking
O: Pleasantly surprised with this one as I have never had an amber/red ale tasting anything quite like this one...taste is an interesting mix somewhere between a hoppy pale ale, floral white ale, and a fruit beer...all in all awesome beer and would gladly drink again

4.54/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I once had a friend say "this beer looks like dirt!" so ever since I've referred to it as my 'dirt beer.' Amber, dark, cloudy, with a tan head, yeah I guess it kind of looks like dirt - looks more like homebrew. The smell is awesome - pear juice, caramel and the evergreen forests of the Northern California coast (i.e., the hops.) Very tasty, with a generous amount of hoppiness. Carbonation is just right and you get a good savory tingling mouthfeel from the hoppy finish. This is one of my favorite beers.

Sadly, I am drinking the last bottle I smuggled back in my luggage as I write this. Needless to say, at the inevitable (I hope) Mad River premiere at Blind Tiger someday, I hope to welcome these guys to NYC in style. And take the next day off work.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Jamaica Red Ale from Mad River Brewing Company