Jamaica Red Ale - Mad River Brewing Company

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

IBU: 45.3
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Crystal 70/80, Wheat, Black Patent
Hops: Columbus, Chinook, Cascade, Willamette, Summit

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jamaica Red Ale Alström Bros

south33, Jan 07, 2012
1.68/5  rDev -56.3%

The high light of this red ale was the color when poured, then it was rock bottom from there on. Red was the color and the taste was sooo sour that I poured it down the drain. That is what was left of the six pack went down the drain. It was so sour, that I can't even tell you what the taste was. Blah!

BeerManDan, Jan 18, 2005
1.78/5  rDev -53.6%

Bottle. Sweet cola flavours, with some nutty caramel. Pretty sweet and thin. Even not knowing anything about the beer of the brewery, i still didn’t expect much, don’t know why that is. Again, shame the beer was so bad, because the campsite we had it at was beautiful!

rastaman, Mar 29, 2006

bostonryan, Dec 15, 2013

TheBigBoy, Nov 12, 2012

cardinals22, Aug 11, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

grubefresh, Sep 27, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -34.1%

On draft at KClingers: Cherry red with virtually no head. After all the big beers I’ve been drinking tonight, this presented very thin with hardly any carbonation, almost like cherry juice. it drank very smooth with little to offend even the novice beer drinker. Very even keeled and well made, but nothing to make it stand out. (#2719, 2/18/2007)

Braudog, Feb 20, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -31.5%

Orange with yellow highlights with no head. looks like it has no body.

nasty smell that reminds me of swamp water. Totally gross.

Interesting taste. Reminiscent of a Murphy's but better. Not that that's saying much.

It feels like I'm forcing this one down. I'm not a fan.

I guess you could drink many of these, if you were already drunk and wanted to keep the buzz going.

RixBeer, May 15, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tulip. 2-finger off-white head with good, sticky retention. Looks more like a brown ale.

roasty sweetness in the nose but a distinct hint of tropical fruit, although it's very subtle.

Clean, full-bodied maltiness with a good hop profile. not particularly astonishing, drinks more like a brown ale.

It's good, but it doesn't stand out. I feel like I've had this beer a million times.

dmatsui, Sep 25, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -31%

(A) Amber in color. Visible "floaties" in the content and not completely transparent. Visible carbonation. Pours with minimal head and then bubbles move to the edge of the glass.
(S) Noticeable malt aroma, slight yeast smell, and some citrus notes.
(T) Bitterness from start to finish, coupled with a sweet malty and a just a touch of apricot.
(M) A strong body beer, but has a full body initially but then quick fades. The bitterness lingers too long.
(D) I found this tough to drink with a lingering bitterness long after I had finished my swig.

u2carew, Jan 19, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Served cool.

A-amber red body, clear and a beige head, thick

S-doughy and floral

T-sweet front, some fruit stone, bitter yet stale hop flavor

M-medium to full body, very rich on the palate

D-okay representation of the style but the hop flavor was a bit stale. I think I would go for other representations of this style.

jneiswender, Aug 21, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

Color is a fine red, they got that part right. Head is decent, creamy off-white. It smells like fucking wheat bread and caramel, mostly wheat bread. The taste is grainy and husky with notes of that wheat bread again. Where are the hops that were noted on the label? I don’t taste the citrus notes spoken of and I feel cheated. Overall, this one is average. I wonder if it wasn’t old, as I have never seen this brand in Colorado as far back as I can remember.

ArrogantB, Jul 23, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -25.8%

A red ale that is fairly hoppy, although not as much as, say, Odell's red. While these hops are prominent, they are over shadowed by a not-so-good malt presence. I'm not sure what it is, but the malt seems musky and stank. Perhaps the selected hops, which are earthy and piny, accentuates this malt characteristic. I don't know, honestly. I want to drink it again to make sure, but it's just not happening.

Mebuzzard, May 23, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

A cloudy brownish red color. Not too much head or carbonation. A malty brew that has reasonable hoppiness. My numerical judgement may be a bit harsh because I don't really like this style of beer. If you like malty ales, you might enjoy this. I would certainly drink another one if this is all there was on the shelf.

nohead02, May 27, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

I despise twist top bottle and would not have bought this if I had realized it was a twisty.

The beer was a deep red with very little beige foam. The aroma is crackery with a hint of butter and a little citrus. The beer tastes very sweet with not much bitterness or hop flavor but a bit of butterscotch and definitely alcohol. The mouth feel is fine, but this is not a drinkable beer with the sweet aftertaste and lack of hop bitterness.

Soonami, Jul 28, 2010

dertyd, Jun 03, 2013

Aishie24, Oct 10, 2014

Pours a light orange color-not what I would call red. Little to no head, hops or malt aroma. Taste is rough-and I find a little harsh-I can't tell if it is the hops of th malt but there is a harshness to it. Mouthfeel is OK and on the medium side. Drinkabiity is average for me because the harshness is too much for me and I don't think I could have more than one or to of these

bradybeer, Apr 12, 2007

MisSigsFan, Jun 30, 2013

pin, May 27, 2013

12 oz bottle pours out a hazy copper color with a one finger head that quickly disappers. A quick swirl resurrects it.

Smells of musty grain and pine/citrus notes. Burnt sugar? I may need to let this warm up. It's pretty muted. 10 minutes later: Rich caramel and yeasty (bread) are now noticeable.

Interesting mix on the palate. Resinious hop flavors of pine and citrus are noticable, but so is a terricfic toasted grain and rich malt base. A good tea-like bitterness comes forward after a few sips (tettanager hops?). The individual elements are all fine, but they all seem somehow disparate. They do, however, come together more as this warms.

Medium body and a chewy mouthfeel, the hop resins leave quite an aftertaste on your tongue. Adequate carbonation. An interesting beer but not a sessioner.

I would definately recommend letting this warm up (way up, over 50 degrees) before drinking it, as this improved considerably as it warmed.

Additional notes: Mad River is one of my favorite breweries and, in my opinion, one of the most underapprieciated. Unfortunately, I think this beer is one of the reasons why. It's one of the few beers that MR distributes outside of CA and I believe it is their poorest offering. Additionally, this beer, like some other MD offerings, is somewhat inconsistent from batch to batch. It's still worth trying, but if you don't like it, don't let it steer you away from their other brews.

1whiskey, Jan 01, 2007

Mad River Jamaica Red Ale…..in a bottle….at Perilla in NYC

Nice to see more and more restaurants putting more craft beers on the menu.

Appearance-a mostly clear red with a tan head that rises about three fingers, but this head breaks away quickly and dissipates.

Smell-light fragrance of caramel malt and some pined hops. A little bit of bread as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel-light to medium mouthfeel, starts off with a bit of hop and then a medium breadyness throughout the whole sip. It’s smooth and the carbonation feels good, the taste leaves quickly and finishes clean. Hard not to wish for a little more backbone in the flavor, though what is here does work and is inoffensive.

Overall-a smooth beer that is fine for sessioning and went well with my meal, that said on its own it pales in comparison to much better beers of the same style.

TheDeuce, Jan 07, 2012