Follow our progress ...

Cocoa Cream Graham Cracker Porter | Denver Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 22
Reviews by Todd:

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

APPEARANCE: An aggressive pour produces a quarter-inch of white head, which contrasts starkly with a jet-black beer beneath it. The iPhone flashlight shown through it is only faintly noticeable as a vague redness on the other side of the glass. As the head recedes it leaves an island of wispy foam with a little ‘mountain’ of bubbles in the middle that seems to be supplied by a flow of bubbles from the etching on the bottom of my glass.

SMELL: The aroma is intense (always a good thing for me). A roasted malt, but not quite coffee-like smell dominates and is quite pleasant. Dark chocolate notes are all over this thing as well. The only thing I’m not really loving is a faint soapy smell, but it’s not enough to ruin the overall experience of whiff or two.

TASTE: I don’t know if I’ve ever written this in a BA review, but yum. That’s what the first sip made me say. That subtle roast from the nose is there, but it takes a back seat to a very, very nice dark chocolate, but the dark chocolate here isn’t super bitter, it tastes like a 60/40 blend of dark and milk. A little caramel and vanilla round out the Cocoa Cream, the only thing I can’t really taste is the barrel, but as it turns out, I don’t really care that I can’t.

MOUTHFEEL: Despite the big, dessert-like flavors, the body is more in the medium range. Of course, this is on the sweeter side, but at no point does it become cloying or overwhelming.

OVERALL: This is a very pleasant surprise for me in the first Denver Beer Co. beer I’m reviewing. I feel like I’ve said pleasant a lot in this review, but that’s appropriate because that’s exactly what this beer is in almost every way. The bottle says “Super Limited Release” and I don’t know enough about these guys to know exactly what that means, but I just hope that I do get to taste this beer again sometime.

By the way, no ABV listed here on BA, but the bottle says 7%.

4.26/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this one at the Lucky Pie in LoDo (Denver) while having a meal with my wife and friends after the BA social held earlier that afternoon.

The beer itself appears ink black with a thin, light tan head. It has a bold chocolate/cocoa aroma; sweet and rich. The flavor and mouthfeel are a sensual explosion of deeply rich and sweet dark roasted malts, cocoa and milk chocolate, vanilla, faint hints of plums and figs, all exuding from a thick, oozing, velvety liquid.

I really would have liked to have another glass or two, but there were other beers I enjoyed earlier in the day, so this one glass sufficed for the moment. I certainly hope to find this bottled somewhere or, better still, on tap as this is a must-have porter.

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

The graham cracker porter is pretty good, but the cocoa creme here just ruins it.

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.35/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

2.5/5  rDev -39.6%

3.96/5  rDev -4.3%

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.82/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.02/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.04/5  rDev -2.4%

3.27/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Cocoa Cream Graham Cracker Porter from Denver Beer Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.