Chai Fighter - HopDog BeerWorks

pDev: n/a
HopDog BeerWorks visit their website
Australia

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: admiral on 07-16-2014)
Reviews by admiral:
4.08/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

great for chai lovers - right on the money for a chai tea flavoured beer!

aroma: chai, cinnamon, spice and slight vanilla

taste: a deep and slightly more bitter chai tea flavour that is almost a doppleganger of a cup of proper chai tea! Also has vanilla, cinnamon, sweet and bitter spices, slight grapefruit and a hint of citrus fruits.

3.58/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle bought and enjoyed at Spooning Goats.

Pours an amber colour, fairly pale. Head is listless but decent cradle of lace. Pretty dull actually.

Smells light, spicy, sweet. Lots of aniseed, clove and cinnamon, touch of ginger and geranium from the tea. Could use more oomph; just seems like a lightly spiced solution.

Taste is bolder; brasher, even. Black tea throughout with turgid anise, clove and vanilla. Spice and decently bitter. Still feels lacking in malt and body though. Nice flavours and almost tastes therapeutic. Pleasant.

A bit thin; the bitter tea and carbonation kind of pulls back as a result. Not too harsh though

Nice Autumnal release into winter. Pleasant spice notes that pack a punch.

4.27/5  rDev n/a

Good golly Miss Molly there's been some damn fine beers being brewed in old Aussieland, and HopDog are one of Doc's favourite new brewers... Yes, yes, I've only tried An American Werewolf In Belgium - but damn if it didn't blow the socks right off my feet and into the laundry basket... hmmm, that gives me an idea for 'rocket-propelled basket-homing socks' (patent pending). Anyway HopDog had me with Chai Fighter the moment I saw the cheesy pun on the label, it went into the shopping basket I didn't have time to read what it was.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Full naturtrüb orange/light brown body (I gave the yeast at the bottom of the bottle a good agitation) with a thick creamy white head, looks an absolute treat! 8/10.

S: It's just as you would imagine as the offspring for a Pale Ale and a Chai tea, the spices are heady cinnamon/clove, the hops are citrusy (a new word for OED) and there is added orange peel floating around in the background, muscling right in on hops territory. 8/10.

T: Ooooo, this is why HopDog do it for me - this is f@%king experimental stuff! Victor Frankenstein would be pleased with this. As advertised: Cinnamon/aniseed/clove, orange peel, caramel malt, with a finish that is pure black tea tannin. The bitterness is spot on APA and the flavours are having a party in my mouth [and yes - everyone is invited]. A second sip reveals an intriguing note of mango, which could only be the hops. 9/10.

M: Mid to light bodied, probably the biggest complaint is that it could benefit from more body, with a light but sharp carbonation. 7/10.

D: So I've reviewed over 400 beers now, which at a guess is around a third of the beers I have ever tasted, and HopDog have twice pleasantly surprised me with beers that I've never even thought of let alone tasted before (except the American Werewolf which I compared to Little Creatures The Quiet American). Needless to say this is quite a feat and I hope I haven't exhausted the crazy brews they make because I am TLF (Tripping the Light Fantastic) with this fine Ale. 8/10.

Food match: I think I've found the perfect match for Tibetan/Nepalese cuisine...

Chai Fighter from HopDog BeerWorks
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.