The Pale - HopDog BeerWorks

to view more.
Ratings: 4 | Reviews: 4
2.19/5  rDev n/a
look: 1 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yes, that’s right, another HopDog review - take heed brewers: If you’re getting plenty of reviews from me it means you’re doing a cracking fine job. HopDog is punching into the stratosphere with some of the brews they’ve come up with (actually Cosmic Highway is the only one I haven’t been blown off my perch by). Now I’ve finally gotten around to The Pale, which is (I’m assuming) their run-of-the-mill American Pale Ale, every craft brewer needs one. My tasting hat is on! [It's a fez with flashing lights all over it - helps me concentrate on the flavour profiles]

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Bazzam! What an excitable beer - I’ve got a 1 inch hazy golden body with a 5 inch cream coloured head when it should be the other way round... second fermentation much!? [beer drinkers joke] This is far too explosive HopDog. 2/10.

S: The aroma on the other hand is fantastic - tropical/piney hops (truckloads of) with notes of orange and mango. There is a malt base cowering in the corner of these big mean hops, which are dressed in leather jackets and swinging around tire irons to assert their dominance. 9/10.

T: And the penny drops. The flavour profile is totally muted (but balanced) with faint citric hops and a light caramel malt whisper. Finishes mildly bitter without any real after taste. I’m pretty sure (based on other reviews I’ve read) that mine might have been from a dud batch. Oh well, can’t win ‘em all HopDog. 3/10.

M: Too explosive yes (wasn’t a dropped bottle either) with a mid to light body. 3/10.

D: Far and away THE biggest disappointment from HopDog I've encountered. However I am 99.9999% that this is from a dud batch and not indicative of the proper The Pale. Of course I will be more than happy to revisit this at a later date as I do with all the dud beers, but with the amount of TBB* brews I have awaiting my tongues judging taste, I can’t imagine it will be anytime in the near future. 3/10.

Food match: I cannot recommend, nor is there any point doing, a food match to a dud beer, however when I re-review this I will add my idea of a perfect pairing.

*To Be Bruviewed, you should know this by now reader.

3.87/5  rDev n/a

A - Light golden amber and cloudy beneath a thin bubbly white head.

S - All hops. Summery and fresh with grapefruit, passionfruit and citrus at the fore.

T - Follows on from the nose with solid tropical fruit hop flavours of citrus, passionfruit and guava. Solid bitterness.

M - Slightly oily and quite wet. Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation.

O - Thumbs up from me on this one.

4.02/5  rDev n/a

This was offered up as a proactive replacement for some beer that I ordered that didn't meet Tim's QA standards.

Hazy, bright golden colour with a small, very short lasted white head. Some lacing.

Fresh hop character with the grassiness that is characteristic of dry hopping and all the wonderful passionfruit, guava, orange and grape expected of New Zealand hops. Really bright and very good.

Moderately sweet malt with plenty of juicy, New Zealand hop flavour. There really is a lot going on here. The bitterness, like that in other HopDog beers, is a touch harsh and I can't figure out what is causing it.

Medium body with low carbonation. Undercarbonated but still nice.

I actually quite like this. The hop character is really here and, in fact, may be just a little too high for the cohumulone content of the hops. A bit more carbonation would be good too.

4.18/5  rDev n/a

I tried four of these out of a sixer from Platinum, and my overall summary is of a 'good beer trying to get out'.

Has all the look / haze of a superior beer. Smells of all the right hops to style.
However, three of the four were pretty much flat. Could get a little head on one with a pour from a great height.

Contacted Tim from the brewery who was most apologetic. Adam from Platinum also noted I am the first negative voice on anything HopDog. Maybe a secondary issue?

Hopefully a one-off problem!

EDIT JUNE 12

WOW - massive pillowy fluffy head sits atop a gold body. White lace to die for.

Gives LCPA a run for money. Slightly over-carbonated is only drawback.

Serious change - have altered review scores to match.

to view more.
The Pale from HopDog BeerWorks
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.