Morning Bell W/ Cinnamon & Maple Syrup - Kane Brewing Company

New Jersey, United States

American Porter |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: SadMachine on 04-26-2014

3.27/5  rDev n/a

Pours dark, and I wonder from the other reviews of this batch if I got a straight shot of cinnamon in mine, which was too overpowering for me. I loved the nose--smells like a jar of fresh maple syrup, and I hoped that would come through in the taste, but all I got was cinnamon, cinnamon, and more cinnamon. I would try it again if it were available the next time I'm at the brewery to see if I just didn't luck out here. (421 characters)

4.15/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Deep brown with a quick fading thin white head. Not much lacing and overall a bit flat in the looks department.

S - Oh, my, god. This is breakfast in a glass. Coffee with cream and sugar, slightly burnt toast, chocolate, vanilla, oak, maple syrup, clove and cinnamon. Amazing nose on this beer.

T - I wish the taste followed through. Where Morning Bell is smooth and inviting and up front coffee and cream this one is sharp and rough around the edges. Up front you get those burnt malt and chocolate flavors that give way to coffee. Mid palate the sweetness from the maple comes through with an oaky presence and is met with a sharp spice bite of clove and cinnamon. Finish is lingering spices and maple sweetness. On paper it sounds mind blowing, and with some tweaking it could be but as it stands it's a bit clunky and distracting from an amazing base beer, for me.

M - Creamy as hell, enough pop not to be flat. We'll done on the mouthfeel, I dock points for the spice linger I can't get rid of.

O - I think this is unique. Worth trying, but the sum does not quite equal all the parts. It's trying too hard and doesn't quite come together. (1,154 characters)

5/5  rDev n/a

Had this at the ANEAD release. What a beer. A perfect porter brown color with small white head. The smell on this baby is AMAZING - coffee, maple syrup, oak, cinnamon, even some vanilla and clove in there.

The taste is mindblowing. Coffee with a cinnamon warmth and maple stickiness that is not cloying. Mouthfeel is spot on and warming. The taste lingers on your tongue and you just want more and more.

This was an amazing beer. I hope they get it bottled at some time. It is truly a phenomenal beer. (503 characters)

Morning Bell W/ Cinnamon & Maple Syrup from Kane Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.