Fernet Aged Porter - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  9.80% ABV

Beer added by: 1759Girl on 10-11-2013

Over the past year, we’ve collected empty Fernet Barrels from our friends at Leopold Bros. Distillery. Their distinct Fernet includes lavender, honeysuckle, ginger root, bitter aloe, dandelion root, rose petals, chamomile, and pepper. Inspired by the herb & spice flavors of this dark minty liqueur, we promptly filled the barrels with a rich porter. The roasty chocolate malt character is infused with hints of mint and licorice from the herb-soaked oak, creating a decadent flavor and aroma.

3.96/5  rDev +4.2%

Undated bottle at 55 degrees into snifter
Aroma of lavender, slight ginger, toasted malt
Head enormous (>8 cm, gentle pour because when I loosened the cage, the cork rocketed away, hit the ceiling and bounced off my head), light brown, extremely frothy, sloooowly diminishing to frothy irregular ring and partial layer
Lacing fair – few frothy islands and partial rings
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor kind of vague – a little chocolate, a little licorice, a little medicinal/herbal overtone; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium to full, creamy, lively carbonation

Appearance 4, Aroma 4.25, Flavor 3.75, Palate 4, Overall 4

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

1.5/5  rDev -60.5%

The head on this beer was 8 fingers with a very small modest pour. I couldn't pour it slow enough to keep the foam down. Sipping from the bottle was impossible, only foam, carbonation profile was likened to a shaken up bottle of champagne. The color once it did settle was lovely, dark velvety appearance that was forgotten the moment it hit my lips. This beer was awful, thankfully I only had one and someone else to help me choke it down. I considered dumping it, strongly considered. I barely tasted dark malt notes smothered out by an awful anise/mint flavor backed with a muddy taste reminiscent of old coffee, pottery slip, and NyQuil. I may be doing NyQuil an injustice. The aroma, was almost as bad as the taste, my first whiff made me think of cheeses that smell awful and taste wonderful, disappointed to find this beer is nothing like that, the aroma was a mere hint of the concoction that lurked below. I did not like this beer at all, I imagine there are some who will love it. I understand why it was a 1 time release.

Fernet Aged Porter from Odell Brewing Company