Wolf Picker - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: LotsofLupulin on 01-15-2014)

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Odell Wolf Picker Experimental Pale Ale, Roots Release. 5.5% Alc./Vol.

Appearance: Clear, very pale amber coloring, small white head, trims down to a tight collar.

Aroma: Bright hops, tropical fruit notes. Citra-like. Really hard to pin down the flavor notes in this one, very unique bouquet. Vanilla beans in a fruit medley. Best I can do.

Taste: Clean, fresh, light-bodied, amazingly consumable. Lightly spicy, with a terrific blend of citric and tropical fruit notes, as well as a sizable dose of that unnameable, but very pleasing, mystery note. I could drink this by the bucketful. Wonderfully hopped, delightfully flavored. You could say I like it.

The label say what? "Inspire by our small-batch pilot system, the Roots RElease series honors our experimental brewing roots and invites you to sample some of our favorites. Named in honor of our hop growing community and the harvesting rig many use, Wolf Picker is brewed with varieties so rare they haven't been named yet."

Cool, thanks!

4.25/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Overall, a drinkable, bright, and hoppy pale ale. I love it. The label says the hops are experimental and without names, but the hop profiles reminds me of Mosaic and Sorachi Ace. That's a really good thing. There's creamy lemon, tangerine, a touch of pepper, and pine in this beer, that's well above the bar for a pale ale. It's a great beer to session, or sip slowly. Drink this if you can.

3.36/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle out of the new Montage mixer with a best by date of 5/7/2014 so this must only be about two weeks old. Bright yellow color, great head. Aroma is earthy and herbal hops, weird. Flavor is also earthy hops, with an odd floral touch. This is hoppy but the hop profile is not something I really dig.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

4.24/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tall pint glass. Best by date of 5/7/14.

Appearance: Pours a bright golden orange with a lot of rising bubbles. Big three finger white head with decent retention. Leaves a decent amount of lacing clinging to the glass.

Smell: A very floral, earthy, and piney hop forward aroma with big hints of flowers and citrus. Big upfront floral and earthy hop hints. Hints of grassy hops and dank pine resin. Good citrus hop presence with hints of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon zest, pineapple, and apricot. One of the most floral hoppy scents I've smelled. Backing of pale malt with hints of grains, cracker, and yeast. A very unique and good hoppy aroma.

Taste: Like the aroma hints at, a very floral and earthy hop forward taste with good notes of flowers and citrus fruit. Big floral and earthy hop taste upfront. Notes of wet grass and dank pine resin. Citrus fruit notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, orange peel, apricot, and pineapple. Hops are nicely bitter and drying. Backing presence of pale malt with notes of cracker, grains, and yeast. A very good earthy and juicy APA taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Nicely juicy and oily with a drying finish.

Overall: A really good twist on the American Pale Ale style. Great floral hop taste with some good citrus notes as well.

4.26/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Pint.

Appearance: Clear, light straw with good sized stark white head and decent lacing.

Smell: Sharp, tangy and tropical, with mango, peaches, pineapple, citrus and berry.

Taste: Dried-out, grainy malts that are more crackery than the prototypical toasted and caramel notes. Hops take center stage, but are not very bitter, with mango, grapefruit, berry and orange. Some light herbal and spice notes, but mostly tropical.

Feel: Relatively light body with moderate carbonation. Very dry finish that almost imparts a light tartness.

Overall: Very, very nice Pale Ale that almost reminds me more of some of the "Session IPAs" even if the abv is a little higher. The unnamed hops used remind me a little of Mosaic. Great stuff. About on par with Odell's other APA (St. Lupulin) - I might even prefer this one by a hair.

4.01/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

very excited to try this one, only available as part of their sampler pack outside of their taproom. always look forward to different takes on pale ale. this one is good but would probably never buy a 6er of it, maybe split a 6 or buy a 4 pack. the aromas and taste profiles in this beer go hand in had almost like no other, very very earthy and some floralness, I'm getting no citrusyness at all, in fact were there dirt on these hops they didn't wash off, (yes I know hops grow on vines) but this is one earthy pig, even some slight nuttiness to it, weird...ahh there's the citrus, very end of the aftertaste...ooooh that's awesome! which it tasted like that from the beginning! I'm not a huge fan of that earthiness aroma or flavor, less of a fan of the floraly ones, I wonder what hop(S) that comes from? this is a solid experimental pale ale.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Getting back to my roots with a new Odell beer. Thanks to SalukiAlum for the bottle.

Golden and clear, capped with a small finger high head of fluffy stark white. Decent retention and leaves loosely packed lacing behind.

Very reserved, highlighted by a cracker-like malt, wheat and faint citrus, fresh herbs and pine hop aroma.

Interesting the pale malt is slightly bready and grainy but clears quickly leading into bright citrus, white wine grapes, zesty herbs and grasses (wild flowers,lavender, sage). Rather earthy and dusty as well. Mild bitterness that has appreciable drying qualities. Nelson Sauvin hops come to mind when I drink this with less dank character and more focus on floral aspects.

Well integrated, average body and carbonation. Very clean, drys well, alcohol is well tempered. Everything as expected.

Wolfpicker gets a clean bill of health but I was expecting a more aggressive beer for the name. Very floral with white wine complexities in the flavor. Pair these experimental hops with something with a bit more aroma and you'll have a definite winner.

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours golden yellow with a white head. Aroma is herbal, earthy, a little dank, and lemon rind. Flavor follows suit. Mouthfeel is great on this thing with a lighter to medium body, creamy, and nice activity. Overall, a very solid and sessionable pale ale. Quite liked it. I am sure this will be enjoyed again, I would buy a Montage Variety pack so that i could grab a few bottles of it, but since I live so close to Odell will probably just end up getting a growler filled.

3.76/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's Odell, so I had to pick one up. These guys do little wrong as far as I'm concerned.

From the pour I'm liking the looks of this beer. Pale golden in color with a steady, healthy carbonation and clean, yet slightly hazy appearance. The head is big, two-fingers thick, and is of the fluffy, chewy-looking variety. It persists for quite a while, settling into a quarter finger lace, with lace running up the side of the glass.

There's a nice, sweet maltiness on the nose that complements the undertones of citrus. Some piney, resinous hops catch my nose's attention to. I like the smell of this.

The taste loses me a bit. I felt a lot of promise on the nose and appearance, but there's something slightly disagreeable about the taste. The hops aren't nearly as present, nor is the sweet maltiness I was getting on the nose. It's much thinner in the body too. There's a bit of a toast-like taste and hint of the hops on the back end, but this is much more reminiscent of a pilsner to me. The beer has a light feel to it and thus is pretty refreshing, but I'm not getting as much flavor as I'd like.

I have to say as I quickly chugged the last of this beer, it's really easy to drink. I could throw back a sixer no problem, I think. So it could easily be another in my arsenal of BBQ beers. I'll have to take note of that.

Wolf Picker from Odell Brewing Company