Wolf Picker - Odell Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: LotsofLupulin on 01-15-2014

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 89 | Reviews: 20
3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's Odell, so I had to pick one up. These guys do little wrong as far as I'm concerned.

From the pour I'm liking the looks of this beer. Pale golden in color with a steady, healthy carbonation and clean, yet slightly hazy appearance. The head is big, two-fingers thick, and is of the fluffy, chewy-looking variety. It persists for quite a while, settling into a quarter finger lace, with lace running up the side of the glass.

There's a nice, sweet maltiness on the nose that complements the undertones of citrus. Some piney, resinous hops catch my nose's attention to. I like the smell of this.

The taste loses me a bit. I felt a lot of promise on the nose and appearance, but there's something slightly disagreeable about the taste. The hops aren't nearly as present, nor is the sweet maltiness I was getting on the nose. It's much thinner in the body too. There's a bit of a toast-like taste and hint of the hops on the back end, but this is much more reminiscent of a pilsner to me. The beer has a light feel to it and thus is pretty refreshing, but I'm not getting as much flavor as I'd like.

I have to say as I quickly chugged the last of this beer, it's really easy to drink. I could throw back a sixer no problem, I think. So it could easily be another in my arsenal of BBQ beers. I'll have to take note of that.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours golden yellow with a white head. Aroma is herbal, earthy, a little dank, and lemon rind. Flavor follows suit. Mouthfeel is great on this thing with a lighter to medium body, creamy, and nice activity. Overall, a very solid and sessionable pale ale. Quite liked it. I am sure this will be enjoyed again, I would buy a Montage Variety pack so that i could grab a few bottles of it, but since I live so close to Odell will probably just end up getting a growler filled.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Brillent clarity with nice deep yellow hue. Head is very fluffy and ice white. Great lacing with nice head retention too.

Mild lemon, orange, wheat, bready and mild pine.

Very light and dare I say sessionable? Smooth, creamy, chewy, heavy prickly carbonation, low sweetness and low bitterness. Dryness begins to take over at moment of introduction. Very honorable hop balance and complexity. This one definitely goes down easy and is heavily drinkable.

I bet this would be a great beer to make a black and tan with, or to marry with a IPA. Yet another strong beer from Odell, keep em' coming!!! Highly recommended. I just wish I could get it without having to purchase the mix-12, but dang do I love the mix-12...

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

On tap at the brewery, 16oz snifter

A – Translucent and bright, bright yellow in color wit an equally bright white, tall head.

S – Bright, sweet, tangy and fresh. Lemon, citrus. Dry here, not overtly sweet.

T – Dry again, pale malts come first, grain and light bread notes. Bright citrus notes come through and an unexpectedly peppery finish steps in. Citrusy, almost lemon-pepper like.

F – Body is light, carbonation is on the high side, dry and peppery finish, quite nice.

O – Wonderful pale ale, very bright on the hops, but balanced with a nice pepper note, with crisp carbonation. Very unique hop profile here.

3.74/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle with a enjoy by date of 7/5/14; into a tumbler.
Appearance - sunset orange, dancing carbonation bubbles; a thin white head that leaves adequate lace.
Smell - interesting; citrus, primarily grapefruit from the bottle; grass and pine from the glass.
Taste - strong hops upfront with an excellent malt backbone that levels it out!
Feel - the hops start off sharp, but the added complexity of malts gives this a well balanced feel!
Overall - another solid Odell offering at a reasonable price!

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Wolf Picker from Odell Brewing Company