5 Barrel Pale Ale - Odell Brewing Company

5 Barrel Pale Ale5 Barrel Pale Ale

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.20% ABV

The distinctive hop character of our 5 Barrel Pale Ale is due to the extraction of essential oils from select hops. We treat 5 Barrel Pale Ale to an infusion of fresh whole hop flowers in the Hop Back and the Fermentor, as well as four hop additions during the kettle boil. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively flavor and aroma.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-09-2005)

Seefeldt, Nov 08, 2012

Mortarforker, Sep 08, 2012

alexw07, Jan 19, 2013

XmnwildX12, Dec 11, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Served from a bottle into a pilsner glass in Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a four finger head of fair cream and thickness, and good retention. Colour is a semitransparent copper.

Sm: Pale hops, slight caramel, and a bit of cream. A mild strength aroma.

T: Caramel, pale hops, and a great malted barley foundation. Fairly balanced and nicely built. A bit simple, but pleasant.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Suits the taste, sort of.

Dr: A pretty drinkable beer. I'd have it on draught. It's pretty decent.

kojevergas, Dec 24, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a medium amber with a 2-finger white head. Head fades quickly, and leaves some lace on the glass.

Aroma dominated by citrus, slightly earthy hops.

Flavor is, again, dominated by hops. Malt is barely there in the background. And where is the hop bitterness? MIA.. that's where!

Mouthfeel is thin and watery with a nasty mouth-drying astringent finish.

Not a bad beer, really... just pretty mediocre.

jimdkc, Jul 23, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

Clear copper pour with nice head and decent lacing. Perfumy, floral nose with hints of toffee malt. The taste is very subdued, even for a pale ale. Malt dominates with an odd squash aftertaste that slowly fades. Reminiscent of a British IPA. The aftertaste hurts the drinkability for me. An average at best pale ale.

beerdrifter, May 26, 2010

Copied from previous notes

A - Amber in color Not much head but leaves a light lacing. Clear

S - Grassy sweet hops. Some citrus

T - A typical pale ale bitterness. Not a lot of after taste. Very easy on the tongue

M - Light body. Almost tin-y feel. Carbonation is noticeable on your tongue.

D - Easy drinking and goes down easy. no harsh attributes, but nothing stands out either.

Tolann, Jan 10, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

We sampled this one at the Odell Taproom with some friends, a few Saturdays ago. Poured a nice copper-amber color, with some decent cloudy white foam on top. Aromas of caramel, light brown sugar and some floral hops. On the palate, light bodied, with caramel, biscuit and a hint of hops.

emmasdad, Jul 07, 2011

n8dietz is da man!!!

The color is a clear copper, Italian Earth color. Veyr tiny and slow bubbles slowly make there way to the top of my beer. A one finger head slowly sibsides to a tough film of foam that lasts all 12 ounces.

Clean hop aroma with just a touch of toasted caramel and crystal malts.

Powdery toasted mlat, that seems to have that pilsner malt flavor. Maybe just a hint of biscuits as the palate loses some of that pwodery feel in the middle. The hops add just a little touch of lemon and crispness. The palate finishes semi-dry and flat.

scruffwhor, Jun 09, 2010
3.16/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I was just chatting with Steve Thompson today on Facebook. I wasn't really chatting, but he posted a picture of the Odell wheat beer. I commented that Odell doesn't make a bad beer. I'm right. Try to find a beer they brew that isn't at least good… most are great. I am not usually fan of pale ales, but I am excited to see what this tastes like. Hopefully there are some hops in there. Cool story about where the name came from, so if nothing else we have that!

In the Glass: I wish you could see the head on this beer. I don't need a glass, I need a spoon! It is thick, white, and looks like a pillow sitting on top of this beer. I didn't pour it right, but still. Most beers don't produce such an impressive head. I am going to let that settle before I stick my nose in there.

UPDATE: After letting the head settle, the beer was practically "frozen" to the side of the glass. As I am swirling this around in the glass, the foam picks back up.

Nose: There are some hops there, but not a lot. I wasn't expecting a lot of hoppiness in the aroma, but had my fingers crossed for more than I am smelling. I am getting some herbal notes and maybe a little bit of spice. If you are new to pale ales, this is a good beer to just sit and smell. You can smell enough hops not to overwhelm your nostrils and you can get an idea of what a pale (bitter) beer will taste like.

Flavor: Considering what the beer smells like, I didn't expect it to have that much flavor. Your palate is just hit with fluffy hoppy goodness. The beer is also easy to drink, which means I could sit here and chug a few of these. This is a style that is popular in warmer climates because it's not too hoppy to destroy your palate, but is easy to drink and refreshing on a hot summer day. (Or a hot summer night here in Arizona.)

Mouthfeel: At first, you are hit with a lot of bubbles. I almost wonder if that is because of how I poured this. The head is gone, but it reminds me of a sip of Sprite. As the beer moves across the palate, it thins out and leaves a nice layer of flavor on your tongue leading to a nice, somewhat hoppy aftertaste.

Aftertaste: I like drinking India pale ales for the aftertaste. I am hop head, for lack of a better term. Pale ales are a great way for someone to be introduced to hops, as a lot of pales will use similar hop profiles. Brewers really get crazy when playing with an IPA recipe. But most pale ales will have a similar flavor. This is a typical example of this style, and while the aftertaste leaves some subtle hops behind, it isn't my favorite part of this beer. Too dry for a true hop experience.

Odell doesn't make a bad beer. Find me an Odell beer that isn't great, and I will drink it! Hopefully, when we start writing our book, we will be able to visit Odell and see things from inside the facility. If nothing else, we will go, tour the brewery, and just drink their beer!

rickyleepotts, Mar 06, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

12oz bottle

A: No note

S: Not much character. Nice pine-floral hop.

T: Cooked grain, hop bitter with a strange amount of metallic/iron flavor and aftertaste.

M: Loose with strong carbonation

D: Not really a spectacular pale ale. The aftertaste is really hard to ignore.

ForWhatAlesYou, Dec 20, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

This is a fairly average pale ale. Nothing too special going on here. Kind of an amber brown color with a tan head. The nose has a subtle malt profile under a citrus hop presence. The taste has hops up front and settles to some mild caramel malts. The average body is refreshing and has decent carbonation. A good pale ale, but not the most interesting.

rye726, May 12, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a clear orange gold with a ragged white head that leaves little to no lacing.

Smells of mild hops and pale malts.

Tastes of mild citric hops with a pale malt presence. Hops are understated and not to my liking. There is an earthy finish to it that adds a little.

Mouthfeel is medium, but the carbonation is too loose and fizzy.

ocelot2500, Feb 06, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

I had this at a pub in Denver. The locals were raving about it; I thought it was good, but not enough to make me rave. A rather mediocre orangish color, with no head and no lacing. Rather mild nose for a PA. On the palate there is a nice maltiness, perhaps more than most American PAs have. Good carbonation makes this sparkly and refreshing. The best part of the taste is a nice pronounced bitter finish and aftertaste.

jushoppy2beer, Oct 30, 2008