5 Barrel Pale Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-09-2005

The distinctive hop character of our 5 Barrel Pale Ale is due to the extraction of essential oils from select hops. We treat 5 Barrel Pale Ale to an infusion of fresh whole hop flowers in the Hop Back and the Fermentor, as well as four hop additions during the kettle boil. We like how this gives the beer a fresh, lively flavor and aroma.

Too bland of a taste for me

3.01/5  rDev -21%

Golden amber, largish off-white head with good retention and lasting lacing. Smells grassy. Tastes... Huh.

You know, this would be an absolutely amazing ESB - if it had different hops. Yeah, it's a Pale Ale and whatever. Oh, hmm. The category here is English Pale Ale. Well, that it ain't. There are just too many 'merican hops (floral, grapfruity) for this to be English anything. And, frankly, it disturbs me. This really would be a great beer, but, well, bleh.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Served from a bottle into a pilsner glass in Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a four finger head of fair cream and thickness, and good retention. Colour is a semitransparent copper.

Sm: Pale hops, slight caramel, and a bit of cream. A mild strength aroma.

T: Caramel, pale hops, and a great malted barley foundation. Fairly balanced and nicely built. A bit simple, but pleasant.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Suits the taste, sort of.

Dr: A pretty drinkable beer. I'd have it on draught. It's pretty decent.

3.07/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

Copied from previous notes

A - Amber in color Not much head but leaves a light lacing. Clear

S - Grassy sweet hops. Some citrus

T - A typical pale ale bitterness. Not a lot of after taste. Very easy on the tongue

M - Light body. Almost tin-y feel. Carbonation is noticeable on your tongue.

D - Easy drinking and goes down easy. no harsh attributes, but nothing stands out either.

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a medium amber with a 2-finger white head. Head fades quickly, and leaves some lace on the glass.

Aroma dominated by citrus, slightly earthy hops.

Flavor is, again, dominated by hops. Malt is barely there in the background. And where is the hop bitterness? MIA.. that's where!

Mouthfeel is thin and watery with a nasty mouth-drying astringent finish.

Not a bad beer, really... just pretty mediocre.

3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

We sampled this one at the Odell Taproom with some friends, a few Saturdays ago. Poured a nice copper-amber color, with some decent cloudy white foam on top. Aromas of caramel, light brown sugar and some floral hops. On the palate, light bodied, with caramel, biscuit and a hint of hops.

3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

n8dietz is da man!!!

The color is a clear copper, Italian Earth color. Veyr tiny and slow bubbles slowly make there way to the top of my beer. A one finger head slowly sibsides to a tough film of foam that lasts all 12 ounces.

Clean hop aroma with just a touch of toasted caramel and crystal malts.

Powdery toasted mlat, that seems to have that pilsner malt flavor. Maybe just a hint of biscuits as the palate loses some of that pwodery feel in the middle. The hops add just a little touch of lemon and crispness. The palate finishes semi-dry and flat.

3.12/5  rDev -18.1%

Clear copper pour with nice head and decent lacing. Perfumy, floral nose with hints of toffee malt. The taste is very subdued, even for a pale ale. Malt dominates with an odd squash aftertaste that slowly fades. Reminiscent of a British IPA. The aftertaste hurts the drinkability for me. An average at best pale ale.

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I was just chatting with Steve Thompson today on Facebook. I wasn't really chatting, but he posted a picture of the Odell wheat beer. I commented that Odell doesn't make a bad beer. I'm right. Try to find a beer they brew that isn't at least good… most are great. I am not usually fan of pale ales, but I am excited to see what this tastes like. Hopefully there are some hops in there. Cool story about where the name came from, so if nothing else we have that!

In the Glass: I wish you could see the head on this beer. I don't need a glass, I need a spoon! It is thick, white, and looks like a pillow sitting on top of this beer. I didn't pour it right, but still. Most beers don't produce such an impressive head. I am going to let that settle before I stick my nose in there.

UPDATE: After letting the head settle, the beer was practically "frozen" to the side of the glass. As I am swirling this around in the glass, the foam picks back up.

Nose: There are some hops there, but not a lot. I wasn't expecting a lot of hoppiness in the aroma, but had my fingers crossed for more than I am smelling. I am getting some herbal notes and maybe a little bit of spice. If you are new to pale ales, this is a good beer to just sit and smell. You can smell enough hops not to overwhelm your nostrils and you can get an idea of what a pale (bitter) beer will taste like.

Flavor: Considering what the beer smells like, I didn't expect it to have that much flavor. Your palate is just hit with fluffy hoppy goodness. The beer is also easy to drink, which means I could sit here and chug a few of these. This is a style that is popular in warmer climates because it's not too hoppy to destroy your palate, but is easy to drink and refreshing on a hot summer day. (Or a hot summer night here in Arizona.)

Mouthfeel: At first, you are hit with a lot of bubbles. I almost wonder if that is because of how I poured this. The head is gone, but it reminds me of a sip of Sprite. As the beer moves across the palate, it thins out and leaves a nice layer of flavor on your tongue leading to a nice, somewhat hoppy aftertaste.

Aftertaste: I like drinking India pale ales for the aftertaste. I am hop head, for lack of a better term. Pale ales are a great way for someone to be introduced to hops, as a lot of pales will use similar hop profiles. Brewers really get crazy when playing with an IPA recipe. But most pale ales will have a similar flavor. This is a typical example of this style, and while the aftertaste leaves some subtle hops behind, it isn't my favorite part of this beer. Too dry for a true hop experience.

Odell doesn't make a bad beer. Find me an Odell beer that isn't great, and I will drink it! Hopefully, when we start writing our book, we will be able to visit Odell and see things from inside the facility. If nothing else, we will go, tour the brewery, and just drink their beer!

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

12oz bottle

A: No note

S: Not much character. Nice pine-floral hop.

T: Cooked grain, hop bitter with a strange amount of metallic/iron flavor and aftertaste.

M: Loose with strong carbonation

D: Not really a spectacular pale ale. The aftertaste is really hard to ignore.

3.2/5  rDev -16%

3.2/5  rDev -16%

I had this at a pub in Denver. The locals were raving about it; I thought it was good, but not enough to make me rave. A rather mediocre orangish color, with no head and no lacing. Rather mild nose for a PA. On the palate there is a nice maltiness, perhaps more than most American PAs have. Good carbonation makes this sparkly and refreshing. The best part of the taste is a nice pronounced bitter finish and aftertaste.

5 Barrel Pale Ale from Odell Brewing Company