Odell Double Pilsner - Odell Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 434 | Reviews: 178
4.35/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

On the sweeter side and I loved the buzz.

My favorite beer Odell makes.

It's essentially the perfect balance of malt and light hops, with the strength to get you where you wanna go.

I like it because it is basically a balanced 'beer' flavor. Plus it has the coolest label I've ever seen.

OK, I'm not a experienced beer-rater. I just know that this is one of the first beers I've had that really made me pay attention and think, "Man that tastes great."
I had one other Pilsener Bohemian style and I decided then that I was going to start learning about beers and which kinds I liked. This was my starting point getting serious about the taste of beer.
I may find better in the future, but for today, this is one of the two beers that got me started paying attention. So, for now, I have a loyalty to Pilsener Bohemian Style and a couple of breweries.

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: This pours a medium straw-gold, very clear, with a magnificent head, about an inch tall, thick, dense, and lasting.
S: Aroma is disappoint, relatively, with very light malt and not much hops.
T: Very heavy malt flavor--it masks the hoppiness, which isn't in a good balance at all. Sweet, malty beers aren't pilsners.
M: Way too thick. They should have lightened it up a lot more.

Not a well-done beer. Not sure who this is supposed to appeal to: pilsners are one of my favorite styles, but this is not a pilsner.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

Bought a single from Cost Plus and chilled it in the fridge for about two hours. Bottle says best by September 26, and as most will already know, label on this has a sort of Americana tapestry owl image, and looks totally badass. I've been wanting to try it for a long time, but it's a seasonal and I don't but too many 4-packs so this has gone untried for several years.

Poured into a Bulleit bourbon glass, gold in color, totally clear, no head active carbonation. Smells a little skunky with pez-like berry and malt. Sour yeast, sweet, herbal. Tastes about the same, very sweet with a berry character that morphs into a mildly bitter finish. Carbonation is more lively than expected, and this does have a bit of a hot mouthfeel, but the alcohol is really not present in the flavor. This is really clean - if I was being served this at a bar not knowing what it was I would probably pound this until I fell out of my chair, and at 8.1%, this would probably not take long.

Ummm...amazing? I really, really like it, however I will say that I don't know that it's leaps and bounds ahead of a good standard pilsner, and in the realm of doubles, I think I liked Uinta's Crooked Smile a bit better. Excellent take on the style, though, and i would totally get it again. It's in my 4-pack club now.

2.96/5  rDev -22.9%

On tap at D&T in Houston.

A: Pours a chilled hazed golden/orange color which persists even after this warms a bit. A minimal white head forms, and recedes in a second. Not much lace.
S: Sweet, lightly breaded malts up front. Then very fruity and hoppy in the nose. Plenty of esters. Maybe some odd spice in the nose?
T: Lightly sweet and sugary malts. Then the fruity hops take over. Mango, passion fruits even. Fruity esters as well. Not much more is going on, and really has no resemblance to a Pilsner in any sense. Not bad if you think of it as a slightly sweet DIPA.
M/D: A full body with low carbonation. Not nearly enough crisp, dry bite with to much sweetness. A slow sipper, but kind of enjoyable. I got trough the pint, but probably am not getting anymore.

If I forget this is suppose to be any kind of lager, it is just a middle of the road DIPA. I am not sure what a Double Pilsner is suppose to be, but this is not what I have in mind. Fails miserably on style points. Really just an average DIPA that happens to be made with a lager yeast that seems to be fermented at warmer than normal temperature.

On draft at the Odell Brewery June 2013

A - Clear golden, 1/2 finger of head, tons of sticky lace left on glass

A - Huge malt character, pilsnerish. Bit of a hop kick too.

T - Sweet and tasty! Malty.

M - Well carbonated, smooth.

O - Perfect take on a double pilsner: sweet, malty, easy to drink.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured like a dense amber cloud, very lite head, one finger lacing, a few bubbles very little percolation. Mouth feel Bohemian pilsner, for sure. Taste refreshingly bold. At 8.1 ACL exceptionally smooth. As the owl on the label stares into eyes, for pilsner drinkers, a wise choice. Cheers

3.09/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

From notes.

12oz bottle purchased at Pilgrim's in Coeur d'Alene. According to the label, this was either brewed on or best by 9/20/13.

Poured a clear, yellow-gold color, with a creamy white-colored head. Spotty lace.

Grassy hop aroma and bready malts in the nose. There was an odd, unplaceable aroma in the background.

The flavor was mostly malty, with some grassy hop bitterness, and...veggies? Weird vegetable oil-like off-flavor really barges into the taste about midway through.

Thin bodied, with a bland, watery mouthfeel.

Even without the off-flavor, this beer wasn't much to be impressed with. Don't think I'll have another.

4.24/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a beautiful golden yellow with two fingers of pure white head. It looks like what a quintessential lager/pilsner beer should look like, like every picture in media one has ever seen. Excellent. Scents of pilsner malt sweetness, Bohemian hops and some very slight citrus. A nose very similar to many a pilsner, but with a unique, American twist. I like it. Flavors of grapefruit, grapefruit pith, citrus and crystal malt sweetness, but with a nice Bohemian hop character present as well. It balances the bitterness with the sweetness as a good pilsner should and is quite pleasant in it's taste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A bit heavier than a normal pilsner, but fitting an American Imperial Pilsner. It was still quite easy to drink and was not unpleasant. Overall this was a unique, yet familiar beer. It had the hallmarks of the classic pilsner, but with the twist of American Craft. I greatly enjoyed it, and would go back to it again.

4.11/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Looks like an inviting pilsner. Golden color with a white head that hangs around throughout the drink. Clean

S- Sweet pilsner malt and subtle earthy hops meld together nicely. Not overly grainy like some pilsners tend to be.

T- Sweet and wonderfully malt forward. Buttery and juicy. Full flavor. Earthy, herbal hops give for a late spice and make for great balance. Peppery almost.

M- Love the feel. Alcohol is subtle with no esters at all. Creamy yet crisp. Rich. Light and so refreshing.

O- Paired with a spicy burger at The Foundry in Westport, KC. Simply put, my favorite pils ever.

3.49/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Fluffy, three-finger head. Plenty of carbonation. Clear, golden color.

S: This is where this beer is slightly lacking; I can't detect any major aromas. It just has a clean, crisp scent.

T: A little syrupy when it first hits the tongue but in a good way. Heavy maltiness with some booziness towards the end.

M: Crisp, clean and refreshing with a lot of carbonation.

O: I'm not a pilsner fan by any means but this one is really good. It has the crisp and refreshing characteristics of a pilsner but isn't watery or boring. It could use a bit more complexity in the smell and taste department but I would still drink this again.

2.72/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

there is something off about this beer. I love pilsners and I seek them out as much as possible. I also really dig most of the brews from Odell. This one however, the Double Pils is a disappointment. I recently had very fresh on tap and fresh in the bottle and in both cases the alcohol imparted a medicine like taste and smell. I don't enjoy it and will not buy this one again. it promises to be much better for a Double Pils from Odell. maybe it's the most recent batch.

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: yellow-golden hue with a little touch of haze and a lazy effervescence. Head is half a finger of pillowy white foam. Not bad, but not particularly inspiring.

Smell: mostly sour graininess with a little bit of sweet malt. OK, I guess, but not my favorite.

Taste: malt has a bit of a sickly sweetness, although the sour graininess is toned down a bit from the aroma. Strong Pilsners can be real hit-or-miss; this is more like a 10% Lithuanian lager than a crisp Pilsner.

Mouthfeel: at least this is OK. Medium-heavy body combines with a good carbonation to yield a satisfying creaminess. I just wish it tasted better.

Overall: OK, this beer is not horrible. But it really does not float my boat.

3.4/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle at The Foundry. It was poured into bulbous Belgian-style tulip glass that was almost more like a snifter in shape.

Appearance - For some reason, my waiter did an extremely gentle pour, and so there was barely a line of stark white head around the edge of the glass, with spotty film over the rest of the body, which is your Pils-standard golden yellow, crisp and clear.

Smell - Biscuity and malty. Some overtones of phenolic fruit characteristics, but those are in the background and hard to pick up. I even sense some of the alcoholic esters as well, but again faint. Most of the aroma is dominated by bready notes.

Taste - To me, the higher ABV is not well disguised, which essentially is the key to producing a good double pils. In addition to the heat from the alcohol, the grain backbone is dominant, with some counterpoint from bittering hops. Again the generic fruit elements are present, lending some sweetness to the beer.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and clean, hovering on the light side of medium body. Carbonation is moderate to light as well.

Overall, probably a one-timer for me. The style intrigues me, mostly because the first double pils I ever had was fantastic (and unfortunately a one-time release) and I've been searching for an equivalent ever sense. This definitely was not it, in spite of the pretty snappy looking label.

3.32/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank three out of a four pack over the course of two evenings.

Appearance: Poured (into a flute, then later into a mug) a light gold with fluffy two finger head which slowly dissipated over a few minutes time. Visible carbonation in the glass, lots of bubbles.

Aroma: Cereals, biscuity notes. Maybe a little bit of herbal spiciness (had to search for it)?

Taste: Well balanced mixture of crisp, rounded grain flavor and hop bitterness, that spiciness I thought I smelled showed up as well. A little bit of warming alcohol in the finish. Malt sweetness became more noticeable as the beer warmed.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, with medium carbonation.

Overall: I wouldn't consider myself at all knowledgeable on pilseners, but I found this to be an enjoyable if somewhat unexciting beer. I found myself wanting a bit more complexity, especially for something that was 8% Abv, though I appreciated the hop flavors the more I drank it. Very drinkable for 8%. Paired pretty well with Chinese take-out.

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Slightly grainy, slightly vegetable with the aroma. Body appears lightly yellow with a decent, lasting white head and good carbonation. Taste reinforces the aroma with more emphasis on the malt aspects with the added hint of alcohol in the background; pretty bitter at the finish. Medium-bodied with a dry finish.

This is an okay beer for the style but seems rough around the edges with a slightly disagreeable bite all around.

Seems my past experiences have been pretty enjoyable with this beer. Maybe this batch isn't quite up to par (freshness date on bottle is 9/12/13A). This is my second bottle from this four-pack (had the first last night: same overall impression).

4.09/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Poured a bright, clear golden yellow with a tiny white head that disippated in just a few seconds.

Smell: A grainy biscuit is right on the forefront. From the (lack of) pilsners I've smelled, this has a close to traditional scent. A tad bit of alcohol lingers.

Taste: The beginning was crisp and wheaty; the middle brought out lots of grains and amplified the subtlety of the specific style; the end slowly faded the middle taste into a bit sweeter, maltier sensation.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, rich, carbonated just right.

Overall: I was pretty letdown by the appearance, but there was nothing bad about the drinking process. It fit its style pretty well from what I've tried and did not even notice the high ABV. Odell could (and can) improve on this one, but so far so good.

4.94/5  rDev +28.6%

God bless the pilsner makers for they are few in craft beer world
8% Pils that is not sweet and goes down like a session beer.
I had it at The Happy Gnome in St. Paul.

Appearance was good with plenty of lacing
Smell: was down a bit for most pilsner a
Taste, got the pilsner crisp and hop balance nice refreshing mouth feel

I could drink Albright exept the 8% abv

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Hazy neon yellow/orange with a one finger foamy white head.

Aroma: Yeast and earthy/grassy hops. Subtle crystal and pilsen malts.

Taste: Really good grain flavors in here. Sweet and spicy (maybe rye malt?). There is also a good hop presence and a hop flavor that makes it uniquely Odell's. Citrus and sweet fruit juice. Really digging this one. Almost drinks like an ale. Don't taste any of that 8.1% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth and yet assertive on the palate. Medium bodied but feels much more robust. Highly drinkable.

Final Thoughts: If I was drinking this blind I'd probably think it was lager version of Odell IPA. It has that great hop flavor and juicyness that they pack most of their brews. Would I drink it again? Yes, wish they'd make a sessionable version!

3.16/5  rDev -17.7%

This poured out as a slightly hazy looking yellow color with a strong white head on top. The head retention on this beer is very impressive since its a high abv. The smell of the beer is malty, there are some hints of grass in there as well some hops. The taste of the beer is grainy with a decent sweetness to it, there is also some booze heat in there also. The mouthfeel was a little on the creamy side I thought. The body was medium with a solid amount of carbonation. Overall it's not a bad brew just not as impressive as I was hoping for.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

A random single I procured while visiting the States.

A - Pours a clear golden colour, finger of fine bubbles head with solid retention and some nice sheeting lacing.

S - Scent is grassy, hints of buttered bread and sweet corn, touch of sour citrus rind and a peppery finish.

T - Flavour is incredible. The grassy notes come through nicely alongside a subtle sweet citrus and cotton candy hop, bready caramel comes through on the finish and some wheat grass lingers on the finish. Hints of iced tea linger alongside a citrus bitterness.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and a touch of dryness.

O - This is my first Imperial Pilsener, but this stuff is incredible. The ABV is undetectable and the flavour profile makes this brew insanely drinkable. I will definitely be searching this stuff out next time I head south, and I highly recommend this brew. My biggest problem with this beer was that there was only one on the shelf at the store.

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%

Served on draft at Odell, in typical american pint.

Appearance: Great appearance, a deep gold color. Had about a inch of head on the beer. Very appealing.

Smell: Light note's of malt and very sharp on the nose. Typical lagered pil's smell.

Taste: Very crisp from the start and rich and complex taste to finish. Small note's of alcohol in the beer. Came in around 7.0% I believe.

Mouthfeel: This is a very dry beer, Very refreshing and made me want more after each sip.

Good beer all around

3.29/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had never heard of a double pilsner before this beer, so I was pretty curious. Hey, Odell makes quality stuff, so it was a safe order. I got it on draft, and the look was classic pilsner . . . Clear and golden. Like most pilsners, this one has a very faint , slightly cleaning fluid smell. The taste is light and crisp. But with the higher than average alcohol content, the taste also had a slightly bitter bite to it. Not an unpleasant beer. Just, guess, "meh."

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

Enjoyed on draft, Double Pilsner pours a mostly clear, burnished golden color. The brew is capped by a thin, white head that is well retained and provides plenty of lace. Bready malt aromas meet a slight grassiness in a wonderful pilsner bouquet. Sweet bready malt flavors dominate the pallet before being reigned in by grassy and light citrus hop notes, a slight alcohol burn is also noticeable. This smooth brew is medium-high in body, and features a moderate level of carbonation. Make it a double!

Cheers!