Odell Double Pilsner - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: russpowell on 06-23-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell Double Pilsner Alström Bros

3.49/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Fluffy, three-finger head. Plenty of carbonation. Clear, golden color.

S: This is where this beer is slightly lacking; I can't detect any major aromas. It just has a clean, crisp scent.

T: A little syrupy when it first hits the tongue but in a good way. Heavy maltiness with some booziness towards the end.

M: Crisp, clean and refreshing with a lot of carbonation.

O: I'm not a pilsner fan by any means but this one is really good. It has the crisp and refreshing characteristics of a pilsner but isn't watery or boring. It could use a bit more complexity in the smell and taste department but I would still drink this again.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

2.72/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

there is something off about this beer. I love pilsners and I seek them out as much as possible. I also really dig most of the brews from Odell. This one however, the Double Pils is a disappointment. I recently had very fresh on tap and fresh in the bottle and in both cases the alcohol imparted a medicine like taste and smell. I don't enjoy it and will not buy this one again. it promises to be much better for a Double Pils from Odell. maybe it's the most recent batch.

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: yellow-golden hue with a little touch of haze and a lazy effervescence. Head is half a finger of pillowy white foam. Not bad, but not particularly inspiring.

Smell: mostly sour graininess with a little bit of sweet malt. OK, I guess, but not my favorite.

Taste: malt has a bit of a sickly sweetness, although the sour graininess is toned down a bit from the aroma. Strong Pilsners can be real hit-or-miss; this is more like a 10% Lithuanian lager than a crisp Pilsner.

Mouthfeel: at least this is OK. Medium-heavy body combines with a good carbonation to yield a satisfying creaminess. I just wish it tasted better.

Overall: OK, this beer is not horrible. But it really does not float my boat.

3.4/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle at The Foundry. It was poured into bulbous Belgian-style tulip glass that was almost more like a snifter in shape.

Appearance - For some reason, my waiter did an extremely gentle pour, and so there was barely a line of stark white head around the edge of the glass, with spotty film over the rest of the body, which is your Pils-standard golden yellow, crisp and clear.

Smell - Biscuity and malty. Some overtones of phenolic fruit characteristics, but those are in the background and hard to pick up. I even sense some of the alcoholic esters as well, but again faint. Most of the aroma is dominated by bready notes.

Taste - To me, the higher ABV is not well disguised, which essentially is the key to producing a good double pils. In addition to the heat from the alcohol, the grain backbone is dominant, with some counterpoint from bittering hops. Again the generic fruit elements are present, lending some sweetness to the beer.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and clean, hovering on the light side of medium body. Carbonation is moderate to light as well.

Overall, probably a one-timer for me. The style intrigues me, mostly because the first double pils I ever had was fantastic (and unfortunately a one-time release) and I've been searching for an equivalent ever sense. This definitely was not it, in spite of the pretty snappy looking label.

3.32/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank three out of a four pack over the course of two evenings.

Appearance: Poured (into a flute, then later into a mug) a light gold with fluffy two finger head which slowly dissipated over a few minutes time. Visible carbonation in the glass, lots of bubbles.

Aroma: Cereals, biscuity notes. Maybe a little bit of herbal spiciness (had to search for it)?

Taste: Well balanced mixture of crisp, rounded grain flavor and hop bitterness, that spiciness I thought I smelled showed up as well. A little bit of warming alcohol in the finish. Malt sweetness became more noticeable as the beer warmed.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, with medium carbonation.

Overall: I wouldn't consider myself at all knowledgeable on pilseners, but I found this to be an enjoyable if somewhat unexciting beer. I found myself wanting a bit more complexity, especially for something that was 8% Abv, though I appreciated the hop flavors the more I drank it. Very drinkable for 8%. Paired pretty well with Chinese take-out.

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Slightly grainy, slightly vegetable with the aroma. Body appears lightly yellow with a decent, lasting white head and good carbonation. Taste reinforces the aroma with more emphasis on the malt aspects with the added hint of alcohol in the background; pretty bitter at the finish. Medium-bodied with a dry finish.

This is an okay beer for the style but seems rough around the edges with a slightly disagreeable bite all around.

Seems my past experiences have been pretty enjoyable with this beer. Maybe this batch isn't quite up to par (freshness date on bottle is 9/12/13A). This is my second bottle from this four-pack (had the first last night: same overall impression).

Odell Double Pilsner from Odell Brewing Company