Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,583 | Reviews: 676

Waited a while to get my hands on this lovely IPA. Got from an off licence in Naas Co.Kildare Ireland. Nice golden pour but there is only one aspect of real interest to me. Taste, taste, taste. taste. Well balanced, easy to drink, a truly remarkable IPA that lives up to it's reputation!

I enjoyed this sublime beer on tap in Denver at a local saloon, the Blake Street Vault. After a excellent, slow pull from the barkeep, which allowed the beer to aerate, I was immediately struck by the pungent aroma of the hops. Excited for my first sip, I noticed the deep golden color of the beer and the thick head. The first sip was characterized by a full flavor of hops and some bitterness. During the course of drinking, the beer remained remarkably consistent: the had stayed in tact and clung to the glass; the was true with hops earth notes. There was also a very agreeable aftertaste.
Overall, Odell's IPA is one of the best IPAs I have ever drunk!

Wow! A nice sweet and bitter, malt balanced, juicy IPA. This one was phenomenal!!!

Will absolutely seek out and purchase again.

What an amazing beer we have here! Getting this on tap into a 25 ounce glass, there is a thick lingering head of foam, and the flavor seems to get better and better as you get through the beer. I will definitely be trying this in the bottle to see what I think. A must have for anyone who is a fan of IPA's.

To put it in perspective (for knowledgeable IPA fans), I'd have a hard time deciding between this and Pliny the Elder. That makes it pretty awesome. Certainly the best readily available (sadly not in WI) IPA out there.

Appearance: Poured a pale-ish, orange-yellow with an inviting, fluffy white top which held a sticky lace.

Smell: Perfectly sweet, citrus hops pour through the aroma along with a touch of other fruits and a tad bit of malts, all at a perfect strength.

Taste: The beginning lingered in a fruity citrus, somewhat malty, but introduced a flavorful bitterness with the hops; the middle sharply peaked the bitterness and sweetness back and forth like a trigonometric wave of sorts; the end tied everything back down purely into a subtle rind, sweet yet bitter, but still calming the tastes.

Mouthfeel: Perfectly carbonated, perfectly smooth, perfectly thick. . . just perfect.

Overall: The artwork stands out in my brain, even when I was too young to drink or too naive. That was all for a reason, this is a pinnacle of beers. If Odell has done anything special it's this: an IPA for anyone with even a slight sense of taste. It's a 6-pack I will come back to that will accompany one of those infinite moments of life. Cheers, Odell, for an untouched IPA.

Appearance - Golden copper

Smell - Heavily floral

Taste - Wonderful bitterness

Mouth Feel - Crisp, refreshing, smooth

Drinkability - This is an awesome beer. This is the beer you will reach for when you have that craving for bold but not too intense, wonderful bitterness that finishes with a perfect bite. You don't have to worry that your food will overpower the beer - Nice and sassy!

Appearance - Golden in color with an off-white head that coats the glass all the way down.

Smell - Very citrusy hops with hints of honey.

Taste - Sweet hops with some caramel malt showing through. A little bit of honey and butter are present as well.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and creamy with a finer carbonation.

Drinkability - This is my favorite beer. Incredibly smooth and balanced for an IPA, this is actually the very IPA that got me started on the style. I could have sworn I had reviewed it before, but I guess I was wrong. For the price, its the best beer going.

Simply my favorite go to IPA. Tastes wonderful i these hot summers here in Tucson Arizona. Citrus loaded, well balanced, and overall the best IPA I have had. This is saying alot as I've consumed many many IPA's over the last 15 years of dedication.

I feel like a little school boy getting all psyched up for recess every time I head out to Odell's in anticipation for this incredible IPA on nitro. Pours an unmistakable light copper color. A regular non-nitro head of about one finger that doesn't hang around too long. Cascade hops are the first thing you recognize right away. But it doesn't end there. You get all the obvious citrus, floral, grapefruit, juniper notes but also about three or four other hop scents. I wish my IPA t-shirt was scratch and sniff. The taste experience can best be described as transitional. It starts out very citrusy and sweet but slowly progresses into that great hoppy delight that you would expect from a great IPA. It hangs out on the back of your tongue just long enough to head back up to the bar and order yourself another. This beer is in my top five IPAs.

I am a newbie in the art of tasting craft beer.

I've got to say that this beer amazed me the first time I tasted it.

The smell is delicious, very fresh and hoppy.

The taste, oh my god, the taste feels so good! It's very clean and pure, hoppy, citrus flavor. Very easy to pass through. I like to burp and feel the hops on my throat/mouth

L: Clear, Golden

S: Grapefruit/Citrus

T: Perfect blend of hops supported by a nice malty backbone

F: Perfect

O: This is the best IPA I have ever tried. I don't even really like IPAs anymore, but will gladly drink these for breakfast.

A well balance IPA, not bitter at all with a distinct citrus sweet flavor. Smooth and delicious, one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

Sooooooo good. Just a fabulous IPA all around.

This beer is awesome, as I recall. I was in South Dakota about a month ago and it was recommended to me. Bought a 6 pack and enjoyed it over a 2 day period. Really well crafted brew, wish it was available here in Maryland. Great IPA.

4.99/5  rDev +16.6%

One of my favorite IPAs out there. This is simply a great balance of everything in an IPA. Not overly hoppy and yet a great balance with the malt. Lots of citrus in the smell and taste. Great orange color to the beer. I wish the foam lasted a little longer, but the taste is still amazing. I don't find too many IPAs that I can drink all day like this one. Well done Odell!

4.98/5  rDev +16.4%

One of my very favorite American IPAs.

Look: Pours honey golden color with a bone white soapy 2 finger head that dissipates quickly leaving lots of lacing

Smell: Aroma of citrusy hops up front, particularly pineapple &grapefruit.

Taste: Delicious and refreshing. Up front with orange, lemon, and pine notes. Hoppy bitterness up front (not sweet at all) with a dry alcohol finish. Enough malt to balance but not overwhelm the hoppiness. Great work Odell!

Feel: Mildly carbonated, some burn on the back of the tongue. Coating is light and refreshing. It does not linger. After a minute or so you can experience the flavor again with a fresh drink from the glass. High ABV for an IPA(vs IIpa) - well disguised apart from a little burn on the finish. Refresing enough to be a Session IPA but be forewarned, it is NOT a session IPA!

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Bottled dated best before 9-21-11. Poured into my DFH snifter, pours a transparent light orange color, really nice head retention, great looking IPA. Visible bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Smell- mango, hardcore mango, citrus, tropical fruit. Wow! I've had this before, and I'm as impressed as I was the first time here. Taste- mango again, nice citrus presence, a little hop bitterness on the end. Perfectly balanced, elegant, so well done. WOW! I believe this is a perfect IPA. Mouthfeel- just so smooth, perfectly carbonated. Drinkability- just no ABV detected for being a 7% beer. I would go on record to say this is my favorite IPA I have ever had, non wood aged. Just an awesome, west coast style IPA.

Bravo to Odell for this extremely underrated beauty.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Wow...the hop aroma practically leaps out of the glass when pouring, and theres a big juicy surprise on the first sip.. the Odell IPA explodes with sweet,fresh fruit. Mango, tangerine, orange; its all there. Amarillo anyone?

A nice white head that really holds its shape persists through most of the glass. The brew is a pretty golden yellow.

I could sniff this one all day. It reminds me of mandarin oranges in the can. The best smelling IPA I've encountered in my short beer drinking history.

The bitterness is what I would call moderate, and its in perfect sync with this beautifully balanced IPA. Alcohol isn't perceived, and theres just enough sweetness to really showcase the citrus flavors. Some nice, gentle caramelly accents are present. Mouthfeel is on the light side, but again, its exactly where it should be.

I love this beer. I've always been an Odell fan, but man...what a surprise. I'm going to get more tomorrow. Distinctive, memorable, and one helluva value at under two bucks a bottle. Its hard to imagine a better IPA aroma.

___

Since writing this I've tried dozens of highly hyped IPAs (Furious, Pliny, Stone, etc..), and none of them can touch Odell. I enjoy this beer more every time I drink one, and I wouldn't change a thing. Interesting, complex, balanced, and delicious; perhaps the most underrated brew in all of beerdom.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

The king of the hill!...The Lord of the Realm!...One IPA to rule them all!!!...Sorry to go all nerdy but this is probably my favorite American IPA.

I won't waste much time talking about its flavor because it just needs to be tried, but it strikes a perfect balance between sweet and bitter and has alot of Grapefruit and orange rind with some piney effects on the tongue. Look, Taste, Smell, and Feel are all rated at 5...but I have to mark it down on Overall because its always more expensive than the other IPAs on the shelf by a few dollars on average...not that it shouldn't be, but still. This is the quintessential American IPA rivaled only by a few (like Firestone).

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Wow, wow, and wow! Had this one at the Fort Collins Canyon Chop House. Just the sweet, floral, citrusy hop aroma from a few feet away tells you this is a killer brew. And drinking it -- I'm talking ambrosia! One would be hard pressed to find a better, well-rounded, thoroughly drinkable example of an IPA.

Perhaps because it was on tap instead of a 12oz bottle, but I, at first thought, that perhaps I was served Odell's St. Myrcenary because the hop aroma and taste was so deliciously upfront and there! Well, this serving just blew me away...a hop-heads delight...!!

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass.

Appearance: Perfect IPA look with a finger of head. My god, this is the best possible start for an IPA in color, appearance, and head.

Smell: Nearly perfect in smell. Very hoppy with citrus shining through but there is a slight hint of iron that detracts from the scent. As I said though, nearly perfect.

Taste: الحمد لله (thank God) sorry for my Arabic but this beer pushes the envelope for what an IPA is supposed to taste like and is everything that one should hope for and expect. Upon tasting there is the bitterness that one hopes and dreams of but it is quickly replaced by sweetness, citrus, and an almost rye taste. Be advised, this beer is going to knock your socks off if you enjoy IPAs, especially on hot, sultry days.

Mouthfeel: What? This beer is perfect and can finish any dish, especially spicy food. It's tasty, refreshing, and smooth.

Overall: Overall? This is my favorite beer and is what all other beers should be striving for in terms of IPAs. It is perfect in color, carbonation, and foam throughout. It it nearly immaculate throughout the hoppy smell mixed with citrus with fruit. The taste is unbelievable because I have taste nothing quite similar before or since. (I tried this next to Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Ballfast Point Sculpin IPA just to be sure) I cannot believe the ingenuousness they put into this beer. Odell thank you!

4.92/5  rDev +15%

One of the juiciest ipas i've ever had, so much flavor packed into a beer its outstanding, the aftertaste leaves you wanting a ridiculous amount more. I wish this was an everyday item in CT, thanks Tim for hooking me up with this one, as an extra none the less.

If you havent had it, seek it out and try it. If you have access to it, buy it, a lot of it!

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a pure copper color. A frothy thick head sits on top and dissipates to a chunky film. Excellent lacing all over the glass. The beer smells so, so good. Sweet oranges mixed with grapefruit rind and bitter hops. The beer tastes as good as it smells. Again, some sweet citrus flavors such as tangerines or oranges abound, with a perfect compliment of bitter grapefruit. A nice clean, dry hop finish. The mouthfeel is clean and dry.

Overall, I'm very, very impressed with this IPA. I've seen this beer on the shelf for years, and never tried it until now. This beer is so tasty and full of aroma. The senses get overloaded with quality.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a 12oz bottle dated best before 2/12/12 into a chilled Odell's Myrcenary pint glass.

A:Pours a wonderful golden clear color with a big frothy white head that leaves a nice sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Hops, hops, and more hops. The light, bready malt background offsets the hops perfectly.

T: The taste is a hophead IPA lover's dream come true. The citrus, floral notes just smack off the palate. It is offset by a perfect malty backbone.

M: Excellent carbonation on this one as it leaves you wanting more and more.

O: Odells struck a home run on this one. One of my favorite IPAs.

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company