Join our email list →

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

American IPA | 7.00% ABV

Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 688 | Hads: 2,833
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have been drinking this IPA for a couple of years. I would forget about it ,drink a few great beers from California, then come back for another 6 pack. Man what a great beer. What balance ,aroma, those floral oils spilling in my mouth. The subtle tropics splashing in the wash between tongue and cheek. The bitters are as quiet as a child's kiss. This beer has it all ,the finish as satisfying as whipped cream on pineapple pie. Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer currently..that said I've only tried maybe 20 or 30 IPAs. This is the one that stands out above the rest in my mind. I can only imagine what the Odell Double IPA is like..If you haven't tried this guy yet, do yourself a favor and get six! I wish I could pick these up around where I live..the pattern would be- Odell IPA, try a new one, Odell IPA, try a new one...

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

After downing a stout on the hottest day of the year, I switched to something lighter. This IPA could be the best IPA I've tasted. The hoppiness is well-balanced with an almost lemony taste (the bitter part of a lemon, not the sweet part). It was very crisp and smooth, easy to drink. Compared to other IPAs, this had less of a fruity taste, and I liked that. Very good beer!

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Odell’s IPA pours a hazy orange color, standard IPA appearance.

Its aroma is full of very pungent citrus, orangey, and mango hops.

Taste is the same, very floral citrus, grapefruit, tangerine/mango hops, slightly bitter, with a subtle but present malt balance.

Prickly carb and hop oils. This is a very drinkable 7%er.

Overall, probably my favorite tropical note forward IPA

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle to pint glass.

A - Crystal clear gold translucent with a slightly off-white head. Not hazy in the least bit. Head lasts a good while with nice lacing.

S - Perfumy hop aromas! Grapefruit, orange, and floral in character.

T - Citrus flavors carry over to the initial taste. Very nice variety of floral and citrus hops. Bitterness follows as it blends with a slightly spicy note. Incredibly smooth and well balanced though hops dominate.

M - Very smooth with nice carbonation.

D - Very drinkable IPA. Unlike so many IPA's that are overloaded with hop flavors, aroma, and bitterness, I found this be quite right.

One of the better IPAs I've had. I would strongly recommend it.

Reviewed on: 01-18-2011 20:16:41

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served in a bottle, so appearance this time is based on the bottle design. Odell designs are possibly my favourite.

S - floral citrus hop, strong but not overpowering

T - pine, citrus hop hit followed by earthy and malt. Outstanding.

M - Very smooth in the mouth although quite carbonated. In this beer it works well.

All in all an outstanding brew. Are with spicy burritos and paired perfectly.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours golden with a white head and nice lacing. Aroma is hop-forward with a nice balancing from the malt; floral, citrus, rind, peach, pine, with an underbelly of some bread. Flavor is much the same. A medium bodied, active mouthfeel. Overall, my go to IPA in Colorado. Love this beer.

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the face of the Colorado IPA - Yes, Comrade has put out an amazing west-coast style IPA that has a lot of deserved buzz - but this is what I think of when I think Colorado IPA. Everything about it tells you that you are about to have and orange, citrusy delight. Pours a clear orange with a sticky head that leaves lacing. Huge aroma of sweet orange and grapefruit and you get a big whiff from the pour. It really lets you know it is generously hopped (and dry hopped) even before you get your nose to it. Taste follows nose with citrus, and floral notes on a layer of semi-sweet malt. It has a very clean malt-bill leaving the hops to be the main star. Light-medium mouthfeel with great carbonation. Very easy to drink with hardly any bitterness left on the tongue. This beer is incredible because you get so much hop aroma and flavor with relatively low bitterness. I like bitter beers but this allows the hops to shine without being drowned out by excessive bitterness. Top notch IPA from a state that doesn't get a lot of IPA love and recognition. Top 3 Colorado IPA's for me (Modus and Superpower being the other 2).

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

This Beer is so well balanced it is scary.

It has a great copper color and great head retention, could be a little lighter in color but it is still very nice to look at.

Smells great, A lot of bitter citrus hops and some sweet malt. Makes me thirsty just writing about it.

Tastes oh so good. Hoppy yet well balanced. My favorite tasting IPA.

Mouth feel is great, but nothing crazy here, just feels medium bodied like it should.

Drinkability, after 2 or 3 it starts getting a we-heavy but it is an IPA, I want to drink two of these before every nap I take for the rest of my life.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - light, golden straw color

S - Citrusy with mild pine notes

T- This is where it can't be beat. Citrus, pine. Bold, West Coast style. This is up there with Pilny the Elder with me.

M- For an IPA, the mouthfeel can't be beat.

I really love this beer. This and Union Jack are my go to IPAs on a regular basis. And for me, it really stands toe to toe with the best rated IPAs/DIPAs on this site.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle dated best by 12/19/13, into a tulip.
Appearance - Pours golden with a nice white, frothy head, lots of carbonation; leaves lots of lacing.
Smell - grassy, piney, grapefruit, delicious!
Taste - follows the nose perfectly! Much more hop forward, West Coast style (and actually better than many of the top WC IPA's)!
Feel - excellent; bitter hops and very easy to drink!
Overall - A solid "go to" beer for me that I typically recommend to anyone seeking a Colorado IPA. Love this beer!!!

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours orange in color with 1 inch white head.

Aroma yields lemon citrus, tropical fruits, grapefruit. Tons of excellent citrus notes -- my type of aroma.

Taste follows the nose. Big bitter grapefruit, tropical fruits, herbaceous quality, slight medicinal finish. Bitterness lingers. Reminds me of a stone beer that is a little more rounded out. My only complaint is the mouthfeel. It is slightly under carbonated for my taste. Classic west coast IPA.

Overall this beer is very good. I enjoyed it and will definitely drink it again. I can see it pairing well with Korean BBQ tacos. It gets a 93/100.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fresh hops and an expert hand yields a piney brew with all the great fresh hoppy notes you want in an IPA without all the unwanted aftertaste that a lot of the time comes with an IPA. The label artwork is pretty neat also, very appreciative of breweries that put effort into proper advertisement of their brand. Would drink again 10/10 times.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I went with an imperial pint glass on this one to give lots of head space and also for a tapered top to better hold onto the volatiles and aroma (a shaker glass doesn't do this and in my opinion is kind of a catch-all that isn't tailor made for anything).

The aroma was floral and citrus. Clean. Not overpowering. Just pleasant and right on the money.

It was gold in color with a white head that persisted quite well until I started drinking it. Thereafter it maintained a thin white head until I finished it. Good clarity and two or three columns of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. I observed thin lacing on the glass as I drank (fun to ponder--kind of like looking at clouds and thinking about what shapes they're making).

The first sip was all mouth-feel (carbonation was ample), but as I built up a finish in my mouth (and maybe as it warmed) the flavor emerged nicely. Citrusy hops take center stage, but having said that this is a well-balanced IPA in terms of its malt presence. There was a pleasant hops bitterness on the back of the tongue. The finish lingers and is very enjoyable even after the beer is gone.

This is a great example of an American IPA.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

This beer pours a cloudy orange-red color. The head is a thick inch and a half of foam that recedes slowly leaving sticky lacing all over the glass. This is what an IPA should look like. The aroma is of tangerines, pine resin, with some herbal and floral notes too. This is a very lively, mouth watering aroma. The taste has more pine and less tangerine than the aroma. There is a nice firm bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a velvety texture, and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a very good American IPA. One of the best examples I've had in a very long time. I will certainly be drinking this again soon.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance - Beautiful pale orange color with that poured to a one inch head.

Smell - ermagerd!! Beautiful tropical and citrus notes leap from the glass. I seriously could smell this beer all night long. Amazing!

Taste - malty sweetness upfront gives way to an assault of citrus flavor with a tingle of dry bitterness at the end. Unbelievable flavor that lingers well after the beer is swallowed.

Mouthfeel - thick enough without being to cloying or sticky. Perhaps even a creaminess to it.

Overall- One of the best IPAs in the world. Outrageous aromatics with the flavor to match.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours slightly hazy, light amber to golden color, with very generous white head.

Nose is exceptionally pleasant with tropical fruit, perhaps mango, tangerine, and a grassy to black tea leafy component that makes this aroma spectacular for me.

Palate is on the dry side, light to medium bodied, and starts off with a cottony dryness that proceeds through some background biscuity/bready malt to a grassy and lightly herbal hop finish.

Easily one of the better everyday IPA's, especially considering the 6 pack distribution size.

Review adapted from notes taken 7/19/11 and 8/29/11

Appearance: A clear, nice orange with a golden glow - very pretty - a little white head, fades quick, leaves above-average lacing

Smell: In a word, excellent - very west coast - tropical aromas with pineapple, oranges, grapefruits, and some pine - some dank, herbal weediness (especially as it warms) - base of sweet, pale malts seem like they add balance

Taste: Very citrusy and tropical, and almost balanced - fantastic hop profile with pineapple, mango, orange, and tangerine flavors - juicy and fresh - decidedly bitter, but not extreme - the malt profile does not fully balance this hop assault, but it provides a nice backbone with some sweetness and breadiness

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, adequately carbonated, medium bodied

Overall: One of my favorite American IPAs

In my book, this is a top tier IPA among the ranks of Bell's Two Hearted and Russian River Blind Pig. I love the hop profile and the attempt at balance. This is excellent fresh, but it loses some magic over time. I wish I could get this more often.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy yellow gold color with a big 2 finger foamy white head that faded very slowly and left great lacing coating the sides, leaving rings as it went down. More impressive than the head was the aroma that jumped out after popping the cap off – it smelled like fresh pineapple, mango and orange in a bowl, and was very hoppy.

Smells of big citrus hops up front, with pineapple, grapefruit, orange peel, mango, lemon, clementine, floral hops, flowers, sweet malt, caramel, brown sugar, candy like Sweet Tarts, light bread, grains and some light spices; wow, this smells like a glass of hop oil and is so fruity that it’s like a citrus grove – an excellent IPA nose, outstanding even.

Tastes as great as it smells, with citrus hops, pineapple, grapefruit, orange peel, mango, lemon, guava, clementine, floral hops, flowers, sweet malt, caramel, brown sugar, candy like Sweet Tarts, wet wheat bread, lightly toasted grains, spices like coriander, pepper and a hint of cinnamon, then some piney hops, more citrus fruity sweetness and a slightly bitter finish. Tastes like it was wet hopped and is extremely flavorful; this was totally worth shipping across the country.

Mouthfeel is creamy and slick, with mild carbonation that is on the crisp side, a medium body, and a slightly bitter finish that hides the ABV very well.

Overall it was excellent, and it’s a shame that I only had one to drink. Extremely high drinkability, this is a definite recommendation and wonderful representation of this style. Well done Odell.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - golden with little haziness. Head was fluffy white and retention/lacing were excellent

S - very floral, citrus/grapefruit are also distinct. The nose is very pleasant and powerful but not overwhelming.

T - Similar to the nose. hops are quite floral and citrus. The hop flavor is intense and surely to please any hop-head but not terribly bitter like some IPAs. Some sweet malt balances it out nicely.

M - Medium bodied. Smoothness/carbonation are about as good as it gets.

D - very well balanced and easy to drink a few, worth seeking out if you haven't had the opportunity to taste this beauty.

4.62/5  rDev +9%

Fantastic IPA. Nice amber/gold color with decent lace. Nice piney, citrusy smell with some cheddar-like scents. Taste of orange peel, pine, lemon juice, candied sugar. Quite pure and delicious. Quite bitter. Fantastically delicious. Nice mouthfeel, very full bodied, almost syrupy while staying light enough for a good quaff. Fantastic, a must try. A flavor king.

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I ordinarily am not an IPA fan, and generally it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to IPA's because I have to have something high quality and pretty mind blowing to even set foot in my radar.

A few years back a couple co-workers raved about this and announced it as 'the flagship of American IPAs' to me... I gave in and found myself a single and took it home. Hoppy sounded good at the time but I specifically remembered being very under enthused. The proclamation of greatness fell short and I just never went back... until...

A friend inspired me and spring whether has sparked my tastebuds for hoppy once again. Picked up a six pack and put the grandeur out of my head to give this another whirl.

This is not the "flagship of all American IPAs". No offense. This time around, it has caught my attention though and I have greatly enjoyed it.

Appearance is typical of an IPA, deep gold. Looks nice.

Smells really good, subtle pine and herbal hops with hints of spruce and a bit of citrus (lemon).

Tastes fling you forward into a very slightly malty sweet with the herbal notes at the front with it. It sets into some citrus and then the pine and spruce roar into the end and really clear off well into a good bitter and slightly dry finish. Hopped really well. I like a good spruce/piney IPA and this definitely has that. The citrus mingles well. Overall it goes without complaint. Just really nice to bring in the springtime. Kind of crisp with the dry bitter. I could take this camping and be a happy camper.

Mouthfeel is pretty spot on. Not heavy, not even quite medium body. Just below the medium I'd say. Carbonation is great. Not to much, not to little. Spot on.

This is a beer that is great because there is a serious lack of complaint about it. It's had to complain at all. It doesn't blow your mind or beat your palate up. It is just spot on and really well achieved. I'm glad my Colorado brethren inspired me for one more go at it.

If you are looking for an IPA that will not let you down and you are a fan of the more piney, woodsy sorts of IPA. This is it I would say. It's hard to find a beer that you can't point out problems with without being a nitpicking hard-ass.

Again. Well achieved.

4.62/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into Sam Adams glass. Beer had a large, creamy, off-white head that left lacing around the glass. Body was sparkling amber with soft carbonation.

Aroma was heavy with citrus hops, light yeast, pepper and malt. Wonderful aroma for an IPA.

Taste was bursting with grapefruit, bitter hops and is balanced with a medium malt flavor. Long bitter finish.

This is an awesome beer and I highly recommend it. I love IPA's and I could drink several of these in a night. Odell's did a great job with this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a tulip glass

Bottle purchased on Father's Day excursion in Wichita KS.

Golden color slightly cloudy with a decent white head.

Smell is very citrusy with a hint of sweetness in the background.

Taste is very grapefruity with a citrus bite on the finish. Very smooth easy drinking IPA.

A great IPA. Third different IPA/PA that I had from Odell and all were excellent.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, I was very pleased to be able to enjoy several Odell Ipa's last night. The beer was better than my team's performance. Celts, Bruins & Sox all lose.

Excellent IPA.

Came with a finger plus of pillowy egg shell white head. This lasted a short time and faded back into the beer. The color was a bright orange/amber color with excellent clarity. Nice color for this beer, really bright. Excellent rings of lacing cling to the inside of the glass.

Aroma was wonderful, bright, fresh, fruity and big citrus. Lots of grapefruit notes. Very floral..

Wow, this is just a wonderful IPA. Despite the aggressive hop nature there is a great deal of balance here. The grapefruit notes continue, along with some other fruit notes. Nice malt tones that are just slightly sweet and a touch of light caramel. More of the flavor is bread like and specifically a crispy crusted bread. The lingering hop bitterness is just awesome and so damn fresh & perfume like.

Bright and refreshing mouth feel, medium bodied with an assertive carbonation level. Really makes the aroma and hop notes pop.

Wonderfully drinkable.

This is an excellent IPA and shoots to near the top of my IPA list.

I'll be back to have more of these the next time I'm in Colorado.

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company