1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,681 | Reviews: 572 | Show All Ratings:
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to afdempse for hooking me up with one of my favorite IPAs.

A: Golden yellow, clear, very effervescent. There is a nice fluffy head that leaves huge amounts of lacing caked throughout the glass.

S: Floral, citrus, fresh garden.

T: Now this is what a "balanced" IPA is supposed to taste like. Grapefruit and citrus flavors perched atop a substantial malt bill. This beer is fantastic!

M: ABV hidden well. Bitter, dry finish.

D: An awesome beer. I wish I could get it here. I would drink this on a regular basis.

04-08-2010 21:48:29 | More by Huhzubendah
iSip

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

I am a fan of Odell products, and since I am in an IPA phase, it is about time I tried the Odell IPA. Last nite was the nite. The Odell IPA has deep color and appropriate head for an IPA. Then, wow, what an aroma! This IPA has great aroma presence with the most amazing flowery and hoppy aura. A wonderful experience! The flavor is light on sweet, long on bitter with those flowery notes coming through. This is not my everyday IPA, but a great one to move through an IPA rotation or for special occasions when only a unique and great IPA will do.

02-16-2011 15:11:41 | More by iSip
lonestar4lunch

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a light, hazy orange with an off white head. The aroma is outstanding of tangel, grapefruit, light grain and just a bit of a pine note. It is makin me thirsty. The taste follows the aroma perfectly. Starts with the sweeter citrus then quickly moves to the grapefruit bitterness. This is amazingly smooth, almost creamy and begs you to take another sip. Very clean finish with just a little bitter bite after it is gone. A very good example of the style, one of the best.

10-13-2011 23:56:15 | More by lonestar4lunch
DenverHopHead

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle dated best by 12/19/13, into a tulip.
Appearance - Pours golden with a nice white, frothy head, lots of carbonation; leaves lots of lacing.
Smell - grassy, piney, grapefruit, delicious!
Taste - follows the nose perfectly! Much more hop forward, West Coast style (and actually better than many of the top WC IPA's)!
Feel - excellent; bitter hops and very easy to drink!
Overall - A solid "go to" beer for me that I typically recommend to anyone seeking a Colorado IPA. Love this beer!!!

09-22-2013 21:50:28 | More by DenverHopHead
PaleAlien2

Nebraska

look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden with a tinge of orange. Minimal white head.

Probably the best IPA I've ever smelled. Intense Floral hops, citrus and pine needles.

Well balanced. Hops are prevelant but not bitter. Really remarkable in its smoothness.

Great mouthfeel too. Chunky and full. To nitpick, I'd like to a see a little more carbonation.

Great beer. Probably my new favorite IPA.

04-06-2009 01:58:10 | More by PaleAlien2
Ricelikesbeer

look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very nicely and with a good, sustained head with sticky lacing. Pure orangeish gold in color. Smells amazing, one of the best hop smells of any beer out there. Very Piney and fresh smelling with plenty of floral notes. Not exactly sure which hops they used, but you can tell Odell has good control over their hops. Taste is somewhat biscuity, with a sweet hop freshness. Again, more floral taste here. A little citrus, and it finishes only slightly bitter with a lingering hop aftertaste. Definately know you are drinking an IPA, but it isn't overwhelming. Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, and it goes down smooth without excessive bite. I'm not a huge hophead, but this is one of my favorate IPAs, and one that everyone should try. Definately Odell's best brew in my opinion.

04-07-2009 04:32:47 | More by Ricelikesbeer
bennetj17

Arizona

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Color is on the lighter side for the style, with a deep gold hue. Perfect white foam head, holds decently. Spiced pine nose with a grapefruit/ citrus backbone. Seems like my kind of IPA as the malt sweetness smells not very strong.

Very orange-like citrus flavor. Not sweet. The mouthfeel is not syrupy and is quite light, setting up for a refreshing taste. The piney spice carries through nicely also, and I realize this is probably the closest thing to a Blind Pig I have tasted. The finish is remarkable in that I finally get a touch of toasty malt with some light dryness, well done.

This beer topped my expectations. It actually tastes like it was made in California, and that doesn't happen too often. Very similar to Pure Hoppiness or Blind Pig. If you like your IPA's more hopped and less sweet, this will do you right...

08-29-2009 05:31:48 | More by bennetj17
hardy008

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Golden color with a one finger bright white head with good retention and it leaves beautiful lacing all the way down the glass.. Smells of grapefruit, oranges, pineapple, mango, and pine. Very nice.

The taste is just like the aroma. Sweetness and bitterness combine beautifully. There is also a light amount of hop oil flavor. I usually taste this type of flavor more in a DIPA than an IPA. Very impressive.

Medium bodied, nice carbonation, and a real treat to drink. Finishes somewhat dry with a sweet aftertaste. I will definitely buy this one again.

06-06-2010 20:01:28 | More by hardy008
bobhits

Kentucky

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy orange body, bold tall white head, marginal carbonation.

Straight grapefruit attack to the nose balanced on caramel malt. Perfume quality nose here.

Mouth and flavor seem to go together so I’ll mention them together. Highly drinkable, very enjoyable grapefruit infused IPA. Not much carbonation in the mouth, but a decent hop bite. Just a very very solid ipa.

I really wish I had access to this regularly. It’s extremely drinkable, hits the hop/malt balance perfectly, and while perhaps not the most bold and flavorful of the style this one is just darn good.

05-28-2011 17:52:22 | More by bobhits
intensify

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

poured a creamy white head which left plenty of lacing on the rim. Man was the retention nice and unexpected. After the head had settled a bit I gave it a nice swirl and to my suprise the first pours little brother showed up. On the nose I picked up hops after hops, followed by grapefruit, tangerines and plenty of pine. The passion fruit aroma was plesent and inviting. Taste is right on with the smell. Plenty of hops for you hop heads and a nice amount of fruit such as grapefruit, tangerine, maybe a hint of mango and peach.
Overall this IPA was a very sessionable brew. After each drink it had the right amount of bitterness and sweetness to make you want to go back for more. I don't see one reason why I should not have a couple of these in my fridge at all times. Once again, O'Dell Brewing does what plenty are trying to do.

02-26-2012 06:35:22 | More by intensify
KVNBGRY

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Simply one of, if not the best IPA's out there. It fires on all cylinders, every time. This brew never fails to impress. An absolute must try. Doug O'dell can retire (die?) happy knowing he's the worlds leader in American Style IPAs. I just wish it was distributed to Florida!

08-01-2012 03:27:18 | More by KVNBGRY
ArrogantB

4.58/5  rDev +7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Color was orange with a white head. The smell was danky, resinous, and slightly pine. The smell is seriously hoppy. The taste was identical to the smell. Straight hop oils. Not much citrus, mostly dank. I was really surprised by this. this might be my new favorite from Colorado.

03-16-2007 16:39:51 | More by ArrogantB
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.58/5  rDev +7%

This is my latest staple beer. I tried it on recommendation from a friend who moved to Ft. Collins recently from the Chicago area. As a former Alpha King and Gumballhead slave, I took his word that this one was definitely worth trying, and now that I can not get either of the aforementioned beers in my area, I was inclined to try it for my hop fix in place of my usual Titan IPA (Three Floyds may be out of the question for me now, but since moving to the Omaha area, my selection of hoppy beers has definitely improved). Anyway... I was very pleasantly surprised by this. Every other Odell beer I have had was simply good, but not outstanding, which is why I may have been a little apprehensive in picking this up. I am very glad I did, however.

The beer pours to a light golden color with excellent clarity. It has a steady stream of carbonation that feeds a very nice head, which stands at a healthy inch and maintains itself very well. The head never once fell to a thin film. Lacing is quite good as well.

The smell is very good, but not quite as potent as the flavor. The hops are not surprisingly the highlight of this IPA, providing a rich floral and citric bouquet. Underlying the hops is a fairly clean pale malt profile. Not much in the way of caramel malts or other specialty malt, but that is really not a big problem when I have a sickness and the only cure is more hops.

The taste is where this beer really shines. If hops were a fruit, this is the juice you would be left with if you ran them through a food processor. Tastes like Amarillo or Simcoe. Mostly citric and floral. Just the right amount of bitterness and balancing malt character. Not completely one dimensional, but by that same token, it is not lame either.

The body is medium with a nice crackling carbonation to help bring out the bitterness. Only a slight alcohol flavor prevents this from getting a perfect 5 in the drinkability category. Otherwise, well played, Odell. I'll be hearing from you again shortly.

01-26-2008 05:59:02 | More by neonbrown82
bearcamp

Kansas

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Wow! Wow! Wow! A really great drinkable IPA.

Appearance. Is a slight orange brownish color. Some caramel malts in there to darken just the slightest.

Smell is very hoppy. For a hop head like me. It isn't to overpowering but you can smell the aroma. I want to say fruggle hops are the flavoring hops but I could be wrong. Still trying to differentiate each hop characteristic.

Taste is awesome! A great balance between hops and grains. Wow! This may be my number 1 beer now.

Mouth feel: The beer has a bit of aftertaste but not much bitterness to it. You can taste the floral aspects of the yeast and/or hops.

Drink ability: I can drink this down. Very session able for me. You don't notice the slightly higher 7.0 alcohol content at all.

I recently found out that this was the #1 @ both the GABF and World Beer Fest. Very good stuff. Keep it up Odell.

Any chance to double the recipe. A double IPA? Perhaps I'm asking for too much!

Really good beer.

08-30-2008 03:33:10 | More by bearcamp
nppeders

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Appearance - golden straw color, nice lacing, one finger egg white head

Smell- extremely dank nuggets...errr....piney hops, a bit of citrus. Frickin fantastic smelling and definitely one to be reconded with. The hops are stronger in the smell then almost any IPA I've ever had. Rivaling Surly Furious for sure.

Taste - Resiny hops in the front, citrus in the middle, and resiny hops in the finish with a lasting bitterness, but with some sweet malt mixed in in the end. The end of the sip is the first time you realize there are some malts in this beer.

Mouthfeel - nice and thick...true West coast IPA with a thick mouthfeel and crazy hops. Carbonation is a little low for my taste.

Overall- Wow...this is an American IPA to the max. The hops are dominated by resin, citrus, definitely some pineapple in the flavor and aroma, floral/herbal notes in the flavor, and just an amazing hop profile. It surely is dominated by Simcoe or Chinook hops, but definitely some complementing varieties in there. Drinking this beer is like chewing on dank hops and I love it!

06-20-2011 00:51:21 | More by nppeders
CFHMagnet

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle is dated 9/18/13B.
The pour reveals an orangey/copper beer with a finger of off-white head. Lacing clings but slowly tumbles down the glass. A steady stream of bubbles is noted rising to the top.

I get lots of grapefruit and citrus up front. Caramel has a note in there, then it's back to the citrus with a hint of pine for good measure.

The hops are amazing in this guy. There is a little malt sweetness on the tip of your tongue, then this beer plunges you into a world of hops. I get oranges and flowers after the initial sweetness, then grapefruit with a bit of pine on the end.

The mouthfeel on this is so smooth yet it isn't creamy. It coats most of the tongue, and has a dry finish but it is refreshing at the same time.

06-14-2013 16:04:13 | More by CFHMagnet
THE-DUDE

Missouri

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This IPA smells and tastes awesome! First smell is floral and grapefruity with a hint of pine. Tastes crisp and hoppy...a bit dry. Now I smell the malt and some earthy tones. As it warms it becomes more bitter. Excellent IPA, very drinkable, one of my favorites.

01-30-2014 03:28:31 | More by THE-DUDE
blank_set

Missouri

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Simply put, this is the best IPA I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. Big hoppy taste with just enough malt to mask the significant 7.0% ABV. If there is a knock here (and it is a stretch to say there is) it would be with the appearance when poured into a clear pint glass. Color is a light rust with a slight cloudy haze. That being said, do you drink beer because of it's appearance? Heck, no. This is a truly magnificent beer from a brewery that I have yet to have a bad beer from. Odell Brewery is quickly becoming, for me, the premiere craft brewer in the country.

03-28-2014 15:11:54 | More by blank_set
JohnHoyos

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle bought from the brewery. survived the plane ride in baggage back to Jersey in Sept 08.

beer is holding up very nicely at 6 months. no trace of sediment when bottled beer is held up to light.

Great aroma of hops, predominantly amarillo. very little head with lots of wonderful lacing along the pint glass. yellow-golden color with great carbonation retention right down to the last gulp. extremely drinkable - a phenomenal session beer and exceedingly deceptive - i'd never know this was 7% without looking at the label. mouthfeel is smooth and almost creamy; a testament to the malt backbone and the great balance of this beer. the finish develops a nice hop bitterness and is long without being too long and overpowering.

I recall liking several of the beers at this brewery including the porter and the 90 Shilling, but there's a reason I bought a 6-pack of this home with me. Fantastic stuff.

02-06-2009 01:54:44 | More by JohnHoyos
Reagan1984

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, I was very pleased to be able to enjoy several Odell Ipa's last night. The beer was better than my team's performance. Celts, Bruins & Sox all lose.

Excellent IPA.

Came with a finger plus of pillowy egg shell white head. This lasted a short time and faded back into the beer. The color was a bright orange/amber color with excellent clarity. Nice color for this beer, really bright. Excellent rings of lacing cling to the inside of the glass.

Aroma was wonderful, bright, fresh, fruity and big citrus. Lots of grapefruit notes. Very floral..

Wow, this is just a wonderful IPA. Despite the aggressive hop nature there is a great deal of balance here. The grapefruit notes continue, along with some other fruit notes. Nice malt tones that are just slightly sweet and a touch of light caramel. More of the flavor is bread like and specifically a crispy crusted bread. The lingering hop bitterness is just awesome and so damn fresh & perfume like.

Bright and refreshing mouth feel, medium bodied with an assertive carbonation level. Really makes the aroma and hop notes pop.

Wonderfully drinkable.

This is an excellent IPA and shoots to near the top of my IPA list.

I'll be back to have more of these the next time I'm in Colorado.

05-15-2009 11:49:26 | More by Reagan1984
GarrisWH

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Clear golden with a slight orange hue. Pours with a nice creamy, white one finger head. Nice lacing and a tons of carbonation rising within the glass.

S - Very floral with nice tones of tropical fruit and some citrus coming through. A little bit of pineyness detected in the background as well.

T - Nice, hoppy floral flavor with some of the pine and citrus fruitiness followed by the lightly sweet maltiness with tones of caramel and a kind of earthy flavor. Fairly bitter on the aftertaste, but balances perfectly with the floral notes that stick around as well.

M - Doesn't feel at all as overly carbonated as it looks. Great medium to light body that is very refreshing.

D - Extremely drinkable for a 7% abv brew. Very well balanced and extremely refreshing. Up there with the best IPAs I've tried.

05-21-2009 04:16:02 | More by GarrisWH
chodez

South Dakota

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - golden with little haziness. Head was fluffy white and retention/lacing were excellent

S - very floral, citrus/grapefruit are also distinct. The nose is very pleasant and powerful but not overwhelming.

T - Similar to the nose. hops are quite floral and citrus. The hop flavor is intense and surely to please any hop-head but not terribly bitter like some IPAs. Some sweet malt balances it out nicely.

M - Medium bodied. Smoothness/carbonation are about as good as it gets.

D - very well balanced and easy to drink a few, worth seeking out if you haven't had the opportunity to taste this beauty.

03-25-2011 18:28:13 | More by chodez
denver10

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours golden with a white head and nice lacing. Aroma is hop-forward with a nice balancing from the malt; floral, citrus, rind, peach, with an underbelly of some bread. Flavor is much the same. A medium bodied, active mouthfeel. Overall, my go to IPA in Colorado. Love this beer.

04-15-2011 01:30:02 | More by denver10
Penguin3200

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Wow! Furious has a running mate for an ipa!

Poured from bottle into pint mug. Pours copper clear and with a nice two finger head that recedes with awesome lacing and great legs!

Nose on this one is brimming with a mixture of Malta and awese hops! Piney an citrus comes through.

Taste on this puppy is top notch. Crisp clean hops balanced with malt and hits with grapefruit and citrus..finish builds and makes me want to keep drinking more and more.

Mouthfeel is so balanced an soft! Great ipa!

Overall this is the second best ipa next to furious in my book. Blind pig comes in right after it.

Awesome Odell!!!

06-13-2011 00:25:35 | More by Penguin3200
Zimbo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Uber ripe nose when opened in the bottle which dilutes when poured. Pleasant appetising deep glowing yellow colour. Perfect.

Super easy big fluffy just off white head which leaves many equally super lacy rings of froth from the top to the bottom of the glass over the duration of the beer. A very fine column of beading is concentrated in one area of the glass.

Sweet, bitter and with a degree of huskiness which is well balanced and well intergrated to make a complete whole.
Pretty strong but not at all beefed up or aggressive and makes the 'extreme' obsolete with its balance and substance. Really quenches as well.

This must be one of the very best IPAs out there. The hype is right.

08-04-2011 06:40:29 | More by Zimbo