Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 650 | Hads: 2,642
4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

A: 12 oz. brown bottle with a fantastic label. Deep golden body; slightly red in the center and pretty hazy. 3/4" cream colored head that leaves light lace stickage.

S: Infectious grapefruit and pine throughout, especially pine! Dare I say, Pliny the Elder-esque?!

T: Great Hop Flavor... Pine Resin! Pronounced orange peel character. A hop head's wet dream.

M: Medium-Full. The sappy hops reach every corner of the mouth.

D: Wonderful IPA... gone in a flash.

Notes: Like I said before, a lot of qualities that remind me of Pliny the Elder. I know my experience w/both is minimal, but I have to say I much prefer Odell to the more famous New Belgium as far as Ft. Collins breweries are concerned. (700 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this IPA. While not the most inventive or exciting, it essentially does no wrong as straight-up American IPA. Sessionable, bodied, sneaky abv, raw piney and juicy floral bursts, clean and dry brown-tinged golden grain textures, flashy and effective effervescence, lean and smoothly crisp tapering as each sip finishes—Odell really just hits all the marks with its IPA.

I first tried this three years ago at 77 Longbranch Saloon in Chadron, NE, and it was a revelation on simple, sublime execution; each time I'm able to snag a six, those initial impressions are confirmed anew. (589 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

This is my latest staple beer. I tried it on recommendation from a friend who moved to Ft. Collins recently from the Chicago area. As a former Alpha King and Gumballhead slave, I took his word that this one was definitely worth trying, and now that I can not get either of the aforementioned beers in my area, I was inclined to try it for my hop fix in place of my usual Titan IPA (Three Floyds may be out of the question for me now, but since moving to the Omaha area, my selection of hoppy beers has definitely improved). Anyway... I was very pleasantly surprised by this. Every other Odell beer I have had was simply good, but not outstanding, which is why I may have been a little apprehensive in picking this up. I am very glad I did, however.

The beer pours to a light golden color with excellent clarity. It has a steady stream of carbonation that feeds a very nice head, which stands at a healthy inch and maintains itself very well. The head never once fell to a thin film. Lacing is quite good as well.

The smell is very good, but not quite as potent as the flavor. The hops are not surprisingly the highlight of this IPA, providing a rich floral and citric bouquet. Underlying the hops is a fairly clean pale malt profile. Not much in the way of caramel malts or other specialty malt, but that is really not a big problem when I have a sickness and the only cure is more hops.

The taste is where this beer really shines. If hops were a fruit, this is the juice you would be left with if you ran them through a food processor. Tastes like Amarillo or Simcoe. Mostly citric and floral. Just the right amount of bitterness and balancing malt character. Not completely one dimensional, but by that same token, it is not lame either.

The body is medium with a nice crackling carbonation to help bring out the bitterness. Only a slight alcohol flavor prevents this from getting a perfect 5 in the drinkability category. Otherwise, well played, Odell. I'll be hearing from you again shortly. (1,999 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a whipped egg white head that just won't quit; lacing galore

Smell: Lots of citrusy hops; pink grapefruit juice

Taste: The hops are front and center, with grapefruit at the outset; there is some malty sweetness that develops to balance but this is all about the grapefruit

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate, but prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Right up there with the folks from San Diego; outstanding; very citrusy, but not overly bitter (491 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to afdempse for hooking me up with one of my favorite IPAs.

A: Golden yellow, clear, very effervescent. There is a nice fluffy head that leaves huge amounts of lacing caked throughout the glass.

S: Floral, citrus, fresh garden.

T: Now this is what a "balanced" IPA is supposed to taste like. Grapefruit and citrus flavors perched atop a substantial malt bill. This beer is fantastic!

M: ABV hidden well. Bitter, dry finish.

D: An awesome beer. I wish I could get it here. I would drink this on a regular basis. (522 characters)

"122707"

a: Golden orange, slightly cloudy, head dissipates quickly, but some lacing remains.

s: The aroma of fresh grapefruit has never been more present in a beer I have consumed. The hops give off floral and pine scents as well, but to a much lesser extent.

t: Oily hops, then slightly sweet malt, and then a grapefruity hop finish.

m: Sticky, appropriate carbonation, medium body.

d: Hard to believe its 7%, very drinkable, an IPA session beer, if its possible. I have been a fan of odell since I first tried 90 schilling and cutthroat porter, so when I first saw this in the store, I figured it would be good and paid $9.99 for the 6 without much debate. But, it blew me away, I think this is the best beer Odell makes and it is one of my favorite American IPAs. Highly hoppy, yet not too bitter, excellent aroma, a great brew. (837 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

I am a fan of Odell products, and since I am in an IPA phase, it is about time I tried the Odell IPA. Last nite was the nite. The Odell IPA has deep color and appropriate head for an IPA. Then, wow, what an aroma! This IPA has great aroma presence with the most amazing flowery and hoppy aura. A wonderful experience! The flavor is light on sweet, long on bitter with those flowery notes coming through. This is not my everyday IPA, but a great one to move through an IPA rotation or for special occasions when only a unique and great IPA will do. (547 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance - Golden with a thin head.

Smell - Big citrus (grapefruit) notes with sweetness lingering in the background.

Taste - Amazing balance of bitter citrus with sweet malt.

Mouthfeel - perfect

Drinkability - This is a great APA! Having never heard of the brewery before, I was extremely pleased with the purchase of a 6'er of Odell's IPA. If you enjoy mucho amounts of hops in your Pale Ales, Odell's is a must try. Great example of the style. (453 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Wow! Furious has a running mate for an ipa!

Poured from bottle into pint mug. Pours copper clear and with a nice two finger head that recedes with awesome lacing and great legs!

Nose on this one is brimming with a mixture of Malta and awese hops! Piney an citrus comes through.

Taste on this puppy is top notch. Crisp clean hops balanced with malt and hits with grapefruit and citrus..finish builds and makes me want to keep drinking more and more.

Mouthfeel is so balanced an soft! Great ipa!

Overall this is the second best ipa next to furious in my book. Blind pig comes in right after it.

Awesome Odell!!! (616 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy orange body, bold tall white head, marginal carbonation.

Straight grapefruit attack to the nose balanced on caramel malt. Perfume quality nose here.

Mouth and flavor seem to go together so I’ll mention them together. Highly drinkable, very enjoyable grapefruit infused IPA. Not much carbonation in the mouth, but a decent hop bite. Just a very very solid ipa.

I really wish I had access to this regularly. It’s extremely drinkable, hits the hop/malt balance perfectly, and while perhaps not the most bold and flavorful of the style this one is just darn good. (573 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Color is on the lighter side for the style, with a deep gold hue. Perfect white foam head, holds decently. Spiced pine nose with a grapefruit/ citrus backbone. Seems like my kind of IPA as the malt sweetness smells not very strong.

Very orange-like citrus flavor. Not sweet. The mouthfeel is not syrupy and is quite light, setting up for a refreshing taste. The piney spice carries through nicely also, and I realize this is probably the closest thing to a Blind Pig I have tasted. The finish is remarkable in that I finally get a touch of toasty malt with some light dryness, well done.

This beer topped my expectations. It actually tastes like it was made in California, and that doesn't happen too often. Very similar to Pure Hoppiness or Blind Pig. If you like your IPA's more hopped and less sweet, this will do you right... (833 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden with a tinge of orange. Minimal white head.

Probably the best IPA I've ever smelled. Intense Floral hops, citrus and pine needles.

Well balanced. Hops are prevelant but not bitter. Really remarkable in its smoothness.

Great mouthfeel too. Chunky and full. To nitpick, I'd like to a see a little more carbonation.

Great beer. Probably my new favorite IPA. (370 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very nicely and with a good, sustained head with sticky lacing. Pure orangeish gold in color. Smells amazing, one of the best hop smells of any beer out there. Very Piney and fresh smelling with plenty of floral notes. Not exactly sure which hops they used, but you can tell Odell has good control over their hops. Taste is somewhat biscuity, with a sweet hop freshness. Again, more floral taste here. A little citrus, and it finishes only slightly bitter with a lingering hop aftertaste. Definately know you are drinking an IPA, but it isn't overwhelming. Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, and it goes down smooth without excessive bite. I'm not a huge hophead, but this is one of my favorate IPAs, and one that everyone should try. Definately Odell's best brew in my opinion. (786 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Simply one of, if not the best IPA's out there. It fires on all cylinders, every time. This brew never fails to impress. An absolute must try. Doug O'dell can retire (die?) happy knowing he's the worlds leader in American Style IPAs. I just wish it was distributed to Florida! (276 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Simply put, this is the best IPA I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. Big hoppy taste with just enough malt to mask the significant 7.0% ABV. If there is a knock here (and it is a stretch to say there is) it would be with the appearance when poured into a clear pint glass. Color is a light rust with a slight cloudy haze. That being said, do you drink beer because of it's appearance? Heck, no. This is a truly magnificent beer from a brewery that I have yet to have a bad beer from. Odell Brewery is quickly becoming, for me, the premiere craft brewer in the country. (573 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

Wow! Wow! Wow! A really great drinkable IPA.

Appearance. Is a slight orange brownish color. Some caramel malts in there to darken just the slightest.

Smell is very hoppy. For a hop head like me. It isn't to overpowering but you can smell the aroma. I want to say fruggle hops are the flavoring hops but I could be wrong. Still trying to differentiate each hop characteristic.

Taste is awesome! A great balance between hops and grains. Wow! This may be my number 1 beer now.

Mouth feel: The beer has a bit of aftertaste but not much bitterness to it. You can taste the floral aspects of the yeast and/or hops.

Drink ability: I can drink this down. Very session able for me. You don't notice the slightly higher 7.0 alcohol content at all.

I recently found out that this was the #1 @ both the GABF and World Beer Fest. Very good stuff. Keep it up Odell.

Any chance to double the recipe. A double IPA? Perhaps I'm asking for too much!

Really good beer. (963 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle is dated 9/18/13B.
The pour reveals an orangey/copper beer with a finger of off-white head. Lacing clings but slowly tumbles down the glass. A steady stream of bubbles is noted rising to the top.

I get lots of grapefruit and citrus up front. Caramel has a note in there, then it's back to the citrus with a hint of pine for good measure.

The hops are amazing in this guy. There is a little malt sweetness on the tip of your tongue, then this beer plunges you into a world of hops. I get oranges and flowers after the initial sweetness, then grapefruit with a bit of pine on the end.

The mouthfeel on this is so smooth yet it isn't creamy. It coats most of the tongue, and has a dry finish but it is refreshing at the same time. (741 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

poured a creamy white head which left plenty of lacing on the rim. Man was the retention nice and unexpected. After the head had settled a bit I gave it a nice swirl and to my suprise the first pours little brother showed up. On the nose I picked up hops after hops, followed by grapefruit, tangerines and plenty of pine. The passion fruit aroma was plesent and inviting. Taste is right on with the smell. Plenty of hops for you hop heads and a nice amount of fruit such as grapefruit, tangerine, maybe a hint of mango and peach.
Overall this IPA was a very sessionable brew. After each drink it had the right amount of bitterness and sweetness to make you want to go back for more. I don't see one reason why I should not have a couple of these in my fridge at all times. Once again, O'Dell Brewing does what plenty are trying to do. (835 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Color was orange with a white head. The smell was danky, resinous, and slightly pine. The smell is seriously hoppy. The taste was identical to the smell. Straight hop oils. Not much citrus, mostly dank. I was really surprised by this. this might be my new favorite from Colorado. (317 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This IPA smells and tastes awesome! First smell is floral and grapefruity with a hint of pine. Tastes crisp and hoppy...a bit dry. Now I smell the malt and some earthy tones. As it warms it becomes more bitter. Excellent IPA, very drinkable, one of my favorites. (262 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2/18/15 date on bottle, that means bottled on 10/18/14.

A: Clear light copper body. The retention is just ridiculous. Never leaves. The Audrey Hepburn of IPAs. Gorgeous.

S: Huge notes of citrus and pine. Not in your face, but nice.

T: I've had this beer hundreds of times, in bottle and on tap. It never disappoints. Incredible flavor from the hops, without much bitterness at all. This is a beer that will satisfy hopheads but still lure beginners into liking IPAs. If you look up American India Pale Ale in the dictionary, there should be a bottle of Odell IPA right fucking there.

M: God damn. Creamy. Perfect amount of carbonation. This thing is a pleasure to drink.

O: One of my favorite beers in the world, so glad I can get it fresh whenever I want and for prices as low as $8.49/sixer. You can't beat that. (832 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Amber, 3/4" head, a bit hazy
Smell: Strong citrus
Taste: Grapefruit; sweet citrus with a nice, balanced bitter finish
Feel: Nice carbonation; tangy on the edge of the tongue; somewhat creamy (196 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +8%

Appearance - golden straw color, nice lacing, one finger egg white head

Smell- extremely dank nuggets...errr....piney hops, a bit of citrus. Frickin fantastic smelling and definitely one to be reconded with. The hops are stronger in the smell then almost any IPA I've ever had. Rivaling Surly Furious for sure.

Taste - Resiny hops in the front, citrus in the middle, and resiny hops in the finish with a lasting bitterness, but with some sweet malt mixed in in the end. The end of the sip is the first time you realize there are some malts in this beer.

Mouthfeel - nice and thick...true West coast IPA with a thick mouthfeel and crazy hops. Carbonation is a little low for my taste.

Overall- Wow...this is an American IPA to the max. The hops are dominated by resin, citrus, definitely some pineapple in the flavor and aroma, floral/herbal notes in the flavor, and just an amazing hop profile. It surely is dominated by Simcoe or Chinook hops, but definitely some complementing varieties in there. Drinking this beer is like chewing on dank hops and I love it! (1,066 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Clear golden with a slight orange hue. Pours with a nice creamy, white one finger head. Nice lacing and a tons of carbonation rising within the glass.

S - Very floral with nice tones of tropical fruit and some citrus coming through. A little bit of pineyness detected in the background as well.

T - Nice, hoppy floral flavor with some of the pine and citrus fruitiness followed by the lightly sweet maltiness with tones of caramel and a kind of earthy flavor. Fairly bitter on the aftertaste, but balances perfectly with the floral notes that stick around as well.

M - Doesn't feel at all as overly carbonated as it looks. Great medium to light body that is very refreshing.

D - Extremely drinkable for a 7% abv brew. Very well balanced and extremely refreshing. Up there with the best IPAs I've tried. (812 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a deep yellow with half an inch of white head that fades to a small mat and somewhat thick collar around the glass
S: piney and citrusy with a bit of caramel in the background
T: pine, grapefruit, slightly bready and lightly toasted malt flavor, caramel, somewhat floral hop presence. aftertaste is another shot of citrusy and piney hop goodness with some more caramel sweetness
M: medium in body with slightly prickly carbonation
O: I love a good IPA and this one is exceptional. the flavors are great and the balance is fantastic. Easily among the best. (564 characters)

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company