Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured light yellow amber with a very nice white head. The semll was light hops, and orange. Tasted very light going in, with a good balance of malt and hops. Very light hop kick for an IPA. This is a nice IPA. Refreshing for sure and I could imagine easy to drink more than a few.
Odell is new to Boise, and I am looking forward to some of their other styles.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great IPA that really hits on everything you would look for in an IPA.

A: It leaves some nice legs on the glass and pours with a slight head. The color is nice and light straw color leaving a tease of what is to come.

S: citrus and very slight malt with some hints of other greatness that my nose cannot define. However, when it is right it just right.

T: Refreshing is the first thought that comes to mind but the actual flavors presented are that of hops (duh), citrus, lemon peel and pine.

M: Some brewery IPA's are pushing the envelope on flavor at the sacrifice of overall mouthfeel; this keeps it fresh and medium bodied.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Solid orange copper color, very clear but slightly hazy. Big foamy white head, pretty dense and bubbly. Not much visible carbonation visible.

S- Good christ, that's some hops. Such a deep and rich hops smell, smells light years beyond what I the usual IPA smells like. Big time grapefruit, old pine resin, eye-burningly strong. Lighter bread malts provide a stable foundation for the towering piers of Hoptitude.

T- First off, despite it's full hops cone smell, the taste is not overpoweringly hoptacular. In fact, this has remarkable balance. Starts balanced and slightly malty, then suddenly the malt drops off the face of the earth and the hops spring to life., creating a rough bitter character akin to citrus and pepper. Interesting and certainly not a boring IPA, this is much more than I expected. A hearty swirl blends the flavors into one big bitter creamy joy.

M- Damn, spot on carbonation with a medium body and great smoothness and texture.

D- Not bad, I think I could drink one or two of these with little hops fatigue. Not an all day sipper for me (especially at a whomping 7% ABV!), but certainly a treat and a change up from my big-time malt beers. I totally dug this one.

4.64/5  rDev +8.4%

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

I really like the color, a dull sunburst, in this beer but the head is lackluster. I guess that balances my rating to just average.

The smell has a nice slightly piney, grapefruit smell. A hint of apricot. Taste was clean. Moderate amount of bitterness for an IPA. The hops work well in this beer (grapefruit, citrus). A light sweetness plays with your tongue as well. My only problem is that this beer is a little light overall on flavor.

You don't notice the alcohol until you get a little palate fatigue and the hops fade out. But even then it doesn't stand out.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin and slippery. I could kick back with a few of these cause they are really easy to drink.

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear amber with a white head that settles into a long-lasting cap. Good lacing. Aromas of citrus, biscuity malt along with some floral notes. Flavors of juicy tangerine with hints of biscuit that finishes just slightly bitter. One of the best tasting IPAs I've had! Medium bodied with light carbonation. Overall, this might be one of the best west-coast IPAs out there. It's certainly the best one I've had to date.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.46/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Here is where Beer Advocate is your friend. I was in a hurry in Texas awaiting to go back to Boston, and I wanted to get a great beer not sold in the NE. Searched SPECS and found this beer and was impressed with the 100 from the brothers. So clearly I bought it and will need to give it the same score

I am sitting alone in my poorly lit living room, so the beer once again looks a copper color. In the dark, everything either looks dark or copper to me. I accidentally drink many things. This also had some moderate lacing and looks great. Of course a hoppy smell, but also a great deal of fruit....grapefruit I suppose. Anyways, took a sip and it is a big hoppy blast. This was just a perfect amount of bitterness and zest - a great beer. I do think it has a slightly odd after taste - can't put my finger on it, but I still like it.

Nice carbonation and a pleasant beer on an oddly very hot day in Boston. I could have more, but alas, I am lazy and don't feel like walking to the fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%