Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 672 | Hads: 2,741
4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Received a 12 oz. bottle via trade with Teke0611. Thank you for the brew.

Pours a slightly cloudy orange color with one finger of foamy white head. Has a very strong grapefruit hop aroma. Couldn't get much more out of the nose than that. Taste is in line with the smell, but with a nice malty backbone that comes in to play that balances it out. Overall a very solid IPA. I wish I was able to get these in Massachusetts. I may have to get a trade going for a few of these.

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass.

Appearance: Perfect IPA look with a finger of head. My god, this is the best possible start for an IPA in color, appearance, and head.

Smell: Nearly perfect in smell. Very hoppy with citrus shining through but there is a slight hint of iron that detracts from the scent. As I said though, nearly perfect.

Taste: الحمد لله (thank God) sorry for my Arabic but this beer pushes the envelope for what an IPA is supposed to taste like and is everything that one should hope for and expect. Upon tasting there is the bitterness that one hopes and dreams of but it is quickly replaced by sweetness, citrus, and an almost rye taste. Be advised, this beer is going to knock your socks off if you enjoy IPAs, especially on hot, sultry days.

Mouthfeel: What? This beer is perfect and can finish any dish, especially spicy food. It's tasty, refreshing, and smooth.

Overall: Overall? This is my favorite beer and is what all other beers should be striving for in terms of IPAs. It is perfect in color, carbonation, and foam throughout. It it nearly immaculate throughout the hoppy smell mixed with citrus with fruit. The taste is unbelievable because I have taste nothing quite similar before or since. (I tried this next to Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Ballfast Point Sculpin IPA just to be sure) I cannot believe the ingenuousness they put into this beer. Odell thank you!

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%

A: orange-amber with big white head. good lacing on pint glass.

S: sweet grapefruit (think grapefruit sprinkled with suger), and notes of ripe orange and some sweet spice. Incredible aroma.

T: sweet candy-like citus from the aroma (grapefruit and orange), but also a rush of bitterness. There's some balance, but this really is hop aggressive.

M: bitterness alcohol burn mouth with each sip, but its smooth and has a solid body with lasting finish.

D: good flavor but this is one to sip, with noticable alcohol burn and heavy hoppage.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Honey color, golden edges, hazy. White clumpy, sticky head. Leaves a long sticky lace down the glass.

S: Piney smell from the hops, juicy smell of fruit - some apple, some grapefruit. Clean smell...

T: Fruity malt sweetness right away on the tongue, still get some trace of apple. Hops come in, although not as strong as a lot of IPAs I've had. However, the hop flavor is very nice - woodsy flavor. Aftertaste is of lemon peel, grapefruit.

M: Great feel, body is fine. Smooth...

D: Very tasty ale. Flavors are pleasant, and a very drinkable IPA. I enjoy this IPA very much...

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

You get a big foamy head without effort when pouring this one. The beer is an orangish yellow. I guess you would call it amber. It's more yellow than orange. Head is retained well. Nice lacing.

Smells of fruity hops. Pineapple and orange. Somewhat piney.

This one is mostly bitter in a good way. Predominantly grapefruit with a slight orange flavor. There is a lingering tartness.

There is a medium carbonation, and maybe a touch low for an IPA. This one is kind of dry.

Drinkability is high. I could drink a few of these. I have drank a few of these in a sitting, but the 7.0 ABV might get to you after 3. I typically like my IPAs a little more malty and a little less dry, but I really liked this one.

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a tulip glass a uninviting straw-piss colour... alas, the disappointment ends there! Aroma opens with a slight pine scent and a the scent of fresh hoppy goodness :) .... has a very good amount of hop character and a Pine-citrus finish.... THIS ONE IS A MUST TRY!!

3.69/5  rDev -13%

Apperance: Clear and golden copper. Medium size head with decent retention.
Smell: Probably the strongest hop smell of any beer I have had, truly wonderfull.
Taste: Crisp malt flavor, followed by a strong and dry hop finish.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied at most, nice carbonation.
Drinkability: Has the flavor of a beer deserving of mass consumption.

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden with a tinge of orange. Minimal white head.

Probably the best IPA I've ever smelled. Intense Floral hops, citrus and pine needles.

Well balanced. Hops are prevelant but not bitter. Really remarkable in its smoothness.

Great mouthfeel too. Chunky and full. To nitpick, I'd like to a see a little more carbonation.

Great beer. Probably my new favorite IPA.

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance - This golden-copper colored IPA has a thick creamy head that receds very slowly leaving big clumps of resiny goodness all around the glass.

Smell - Quite citrucy with a quiet malt backbone hiding in the background. Just a touch of bready yeastiness.

Taste - A bold sharp twang of hoppy bitterness slowly disolves into a malt roundness shortly after the swallow. That maltiness is quickly replaced with a mouth drying after hoppiness that begs for another sip. Piney, earthy, and grapefruit dominate the palate.

Mouthfeel - Light and creamy, with a full body that leaves the mouth clean.

Drinkability - This is quite a refresher, but at 7% it's sessionability is quite diminished. Nice to see a brewery that doesn't over do hops, and alchohol in an IPA. Although I love hop bombs, lets save those for DIPA, et al...

An absolute favorite IPA thus far.

Mind blowing for me.

Orange yellow color. Great hints of lemon and grapefruit in the nose.

The best balance hop bitter finish I have experreince.

Wonderful mouthfeel. Refreshing taste and flavours of malt with hints of butterscotch.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Got this as an extra from a trade with beerdavis (thanks, Jason)
Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint.

A: Slightly hazy orange, and a little lighter than I'm used to seeing. Frothy white head with very nice retention time, but didn't stick to the glass much at all. Pretty much stayed floating right on the surface.

S: Sweet and citrusy with heavy hop notes. Typical pine overtones but they all combine into something really special that actually clings to the nostrils.

T: Not very complex, lots of bitterness but not overly so. On the finish there's a sweetness that hangs around for only a short time, but it contrasts with the bitter perfectly. I found that breathing in deep through the nose while taking a sip makes it a completely different way of experiencing it.

M: Very smooth and balanced, medium bodied. Has the expected IPA stickiness.

D: Very well balanced and easy to drink. Would gladly have it again.

A-Pours a slightly murky golden color with slight amber hues, a light cream colored head of about a finger's width leaving nice lacing on the glass.
S-Piney hops and fresh sweet citrus aromas prevail of grapefruit, orange and mango. There are malty notes in the background.
T-Sweet citrus flavors up front balanced by hoppy bitterness and malty afternotes...nice transitions.
M-Moderate feel and carbonation. Crisp and clean.
D-Very drinkable, a nice beer to have on hand.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Amber, 3/4" head, a bit hazy
Smell: Strong citrus
Taste: Grapefruit; sweet citrus with a nice, balanced bitter finish
Feel: Nice carbonation; tangy on the edge of the tongue; somewhat creamy

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to Jhawkinmo for the chance to try this beer.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Pint glass.

Apperance- Cloudy golden copper color, good head and retention.

Smell- Awesome big hop smell, very pleasing to the nose.

Taste, Mouthfeel- Nice hops taste, not overpowering at all, a dry crisp finish leaves you wanting more! Medium body and carb.

Drinkablity- I Love this IPA!! Very drinkable by my standards and I will definately recommend this to my fellow BA's. I could see how this beer recently won the National IPA Contest!

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

Really impressive fluffy head that stuck around until the glass was gone. The lacing looked very pretty. Hazy golden color.

Smelled of nice and subtle floral hops.

The taste was very balanced. Not too hoppy which was an awesome 'surprise' you could say from an IPA. This made this brew ridonk drinkable (and quenched me nicely after going for a run heh heh).

Goes great with beer brats! (used coors light for boiling - only the best)

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I ordinarily am not an IPA fan, and generally it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to IPA's because I have to have something high quality and pretty mind blowing to even set foot in my radar.

A few years back a couple co-workers raved about this and announced it as 'the flagship of American IPAs' to me... I gave in and found myself a single and took it home. Hoppy sounded good at the time but I specifically remembered being very under enthused. The proclamation of greatness fell short and I just never went back... until...

A friend inspired me and spring whether has sparked my tastebuds for hoppy once again. Picked up a six pack and put the grandeur out of my head to give this another whirl.

This is not the "flagship of all American IPAs". No offense. This time around, it has caught my attention though and I have greatly enjoyed it.

Appearance is typical of an IPA, deep gold. Looks nice.

Smells really good, subtle pine and herbal hops with hints of spruce and a bit of citrus (lemon).

Tastes fling you forward into a very slightly malty sweet with the herbal notes at the front with it. It sets into some citrus and then the pine and spruce roar into the end and really clear off well into a good bitter and slightly dry finish. Hopped really well. I like a good spruce/piney IPA and this definitely has that. The citrus mingles well. Overall it goes without complaint. Just really nice to bring in the springtime. Kind of crisp with the dry bitter. I could take this camping and be a happy camper.

Mouthfeel is pretty spot on. Not heavy, not even quite medium body. Just below the medium I'd say. Carbonation is great. Not to much, not to little. Spot on.

This is a beer that is great because there is a serious lack of complaint about it. It's had to complain at all. It doesn't blow your mind or beat your palate up. It is just spot on and really well achieved. I'm glad my Colorado brethren inspired me for one more go at it.

If you are looking for an IPA that will not let you down and you are a fan of the more piney, woodsy sorts of IPA. This is it I would say. It's hard to find a beer that you can't point out problems with without being a nitpicking hard-ass.

Again. Well achieved.

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%

A - nice orange color with a strong off white head

S - very grapefruit and sweet with a little earthyness

T - good balance between the hopping and malt; doesn't feel bitter just fruity and a little sweet

M - solid mouthfeel its strong but not overly clingy

D - nothing offensive to make you not want it again

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A great beer! Pours a beautiful clear orange gold color with a very nice creamy head. Excellent lacing throughout drinking the beer. This seems to be a hallmark of O'dell beers. Wonderful satisfyingly taste. This is one of the very best IPA available in wide, year round distribution.

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Got a bottle as a "extra" in a trade with JMBSH, thanks!

A: Pours a cloudy orange with a decent head, nice lacing through the drink.

S: Smells great! Like hops and grapefruit, I thought of Blind Pig or PTE when I smelled this beer.

T: Taste is awesome, grapefruit hops and some malt are predominant with me and I love it.

M&D: This is almost a perfect IPA in my opinion, not overboard and not too weak. I went to throe the bottle in the recycle bin today and smell it and it still smelled of grapefruit. This was like a West Coast IPA but it's wasn't...I loved this beer. If I could get it here it would be my #1 go to beer!

Thanks for the trade!

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

This Beer is so well balanced it is scary.

It has a great copper color and great head retention, could be a little lighter in color but it is still very nice to look at.

Smells great, A lot of bitter citrus hops and some sweet malt. Makes me thirsty just writing about it.

Tastes oh so good. Hoppy yet well balanced. My favorite tasting IPA.

Mouth feel is great, but nothing crazy here, just feels medium bodied like it should.

Drinkability, after 2 or 3 it starts getting a we-heavy but it is an IPA, I want to drink two of these before every nap I take for the rest of my life.

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

Another top shelf offering Odell! Just what are those guys doing over there in Colorado. This is my second eye opener from them. This IPA has a character that can be sharply distinguished from others. It had the sharp accent of a particular resinous flavor that I have mulled over for the last 20 minutes struggling to identify it. Unfortunately...I had only one bottle and it was gone before I could nail it.

At first I had wanted to say pumpkin rind but that wasn't it - so I'll have to settle on pine cone resin - in my fading afterglow until I buy a six pack.

A = Hazy amber
S = Herbal, pine
T = Sharply resinous...I'm favoring towards describing it as woody pine cone
M = Perfect IPA mouthfeel

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Served on Tap

A- Nice goldish hue with about a half inch of white head

S- Near perfect floral aroma, citrus and grapefruit notes

T- nice bitterness profile. Citrus bite with a grapefruit aftertaste. Sweet, but not too sweet.

M- Nice smoothness. Nice carbonation

O- One of my favorite IPAs.. Odell always does nice work with hoppy beers

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle with a date code clearly visible (12/24/13) into a pint glass and I get 1 1/2 fingers of head.

A: Pours a golden and semi-orange color with 1 1/2 finger of off-white head that dissipates at a moderate rate to leave a bubbly soapy covering on the top of my glass that lasts to the end. Beautiful and plentiful lacing after every sip.

S: Floral, tropical fruits, grapefruit, and pine oil.

T: Something tropical like mango and a little pineapple. Finishes bitter and piney.

M: Very nice. Medium bodied and carbonated. Finishes bitter. Easy to drink and goes down good.

O: I like this beer and it reminds me of Ballast Point Sculpin IPA. Not as much on the tropical fruit smell and taste but, nevertheless, a very good and delicious beer. Highly recommended and it sells for a reasonable price.

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%

Bonus bottle from ArrogantB

A fast pour into a goblet left a translucent bronze colored ale with a thick and pillowy bright white head. Leaves behind a bright white sticky lacing. Smells mostly of big pine and a skunky kind of a hop smell. The smells on this one don't fade out as the glass empties like some. Tastes were mostly citrusy like orange but more of the rind than the actual fruit. More bitter than juicy or sweet. Bitterness in taste is not overdone and is quite pleasant. Medium bodied and on the sticky side. Drinkability is alright and kind of reminds me of a Troegs Nugget Nectar. Worth a try and may end up trading for some more.

Aroma is orange and grassy. Appearance is average golden with quickly dissipating head. Taste is grassy hops with sweet finish. palate is slightly fizzy and resinous. Overall an awesome IPA for drink ability. If only the double came back, next up is the black ipa 4packs!

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company