Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros

45nDown, Jun 02, 2013

dwoolley1, May 28, 2013

gfap61, May 28, 2013

KeyWestGator, May 28, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +14%

Being from Oklahoma, land of the 3.2, and home of the warm, couple dozen "craft brews" at the liquor store (but not on Sundays), I immediately decided to delve into good brews when I moved to Colorado at the start of 2010. The concept of cold, strong beer - not to mention drive-thru liquor stores open 7 days a week - was completely foreign to me. I didn't even fathom that a place like beeradvocate.com even existed, so I just started tasting the brews at the (numerous) liquor stores in Greeley, where I was working at the time. I had heard of a few "big names" such as DFH 60-90-120, and jumped in head first. My old bar in Oklahoma just happened to be a brew pub called "Belle Isle Brewery." My friends and I frequented the place starting the day i turned 21. Not for the beer, but because of the great live music, daily specials and "free beer" happy hours (with a paid cover) . I always liked their beers, and they were often very cheap, if not free for a couple hours, every night of the week. Around 2001 they introduced a beer called "Pete's Super Hoppy IPA." Basically nobody in the entire state knew what an IPA was at the time, and everyone - myself included - was turned off by it. Too bitter. That said, I was poor at the time, and they started to sell it every night for no more than $2.00 a pint. At somewhere around 6.2% it was their strongest brew. So it became my go-to beer. My friends hated it, as did nearly every other customer, so it was around for a LONG time. Little did I know it, but I was a hophead in waiting.

Fast forward ~10 years to the first time I bought Odell IPA. 8 miles from the brewery. It was like nothing I had ever tasted. At the time I had, for all intents and purposes, no palate to speak of. BOOM. It blew up in my mouth. Best beer I had ever tasted... by far. It was so chocked full of citrus, yet sweet and bitter at the same time while being extremely refreshing and drinkable. My feeble "3.2" Okie mind could barely grasp the 7% ABV, let alone understand the complexity. And it felt like smooth liquified candy in my mouth.

Fast forward 3.42 years and it is still my favorite beer of all time. It's my go-to, and it's on tap everywhere in Denver. I've had hoppier IPAs. IPAs with more citrus. Maltier IPAs. Fantastic and orgasmic IPAs that push the boundaries of the style. But none are better than this " only" little IPA brewed by a bunch of great people in Fort Collins, CO.

I love to be adventurous and expand my horizons in the craft beer world. As a result, I sometimes go months without an Odell IPA. But I'll be DAMNED if that first sip doesn't time warp me back to the moment that I realized that drinking good beer is one of life's most amazing little joys.

JustinD, May 27, 2013
4.46/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4/21 bottle date poured into a Sam perfect pint

Hazy orange look with a clean one finger white head. Already looking like an IPA you want to start drinking.

The smell is bright and vibrant. No particular scent dominates with some citrus/fruit along with a light resiny/grassy hint. This probably is even brighter on draft or super fresh.

The taste is quite unique. Maybe Jai Alai being the only other IPA I've had with such apparent tropical fruit flavor like mango, orange, and pineapple. The malt balances the beer nicely but the hops still shine. Not much bitterness other than balancing out the taste. Really well made.

I'd highly recommend this as a go-to IPA. I can't get it here in Illinois, but I'm glad I got to try it and wouldn't hesitate to order on vacation.

PHBoiler, May 27, 2013

ajzy, May 27, 2013
4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

A-light golden amber with an nice off-white head and good lacing

S-malt, pine, citrus, herbal

T-forward caramel malt, pine, citrus, hints of floral and herbal,nice bitter hop finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp and sharp

O-a nice IPA but a little more malt dominant than I prefer

MDDMD, May 27, 2013