Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros
rickyleepotts

Arizona

A couple of weeks ago, my buddy Ken asked if I wanted to grab a beer. I got there a little early, and saw they had Odell IPA on the menu. I hadn’t had that yet, and since we are new to Arizona I am trying all of these new brews. I ordered one and fell in love with the beer the second I poured it into the glass. The aroma was incredible, and the aftertaste lasted for a really long time. I am a big IPA guy… but this one takes the cake.

Tonight we are drinking from Papago Brewing. This place is sweet, and is quickly becoming our favorite place in the Valley. They have a great beer selection (both bottles and on draft) and their food is pretty good. I am hoping we can get them as a sponsor for the 1001 Bottles project. Anyway, let’s drink!

In the Glass: When we ordered the bottle, the server said, “1 bottle. 2 glasses.” He brought us two small glasses, and poured the beer for us. The beer is somewhat orange, and has a weak head and almost no lace.

Nose: The aroma is amazing. It is like a glass full of hops. The aroma sticks around for a while, and just punches you in the face. I love it. It smells like an American IPA is supposed to smell like. Let’s see what she tastes like.

Flavor: Oh. My. God. This beer is loaded with flavor, but it doesn’t knock you out with bitterness. There isn’t a lot of carbonation and the mouthfeel is just so smooth. The flavor is just what I expected from a good IPA.

Mouthfeel: A lot of IPAs have a ton of carbonation, but this one is surprisingly smooth. It starts off soft, and then the hops just kick in and overwhelm the palate. That is when the aftertaste starts and just hangs on for a LONG time.

Aftertaste: It’s still there. Man, this aftertaste is wicked. It isn’t overwhelming, but it does have a consistent flavor that just hangs on for dear life. Just when I think it’s time for another drink, I swallow… and there is the bitterness from those hop varieties. The burp is pretty great, too.

This is such a good beer. I am such a big IPA guy that finding a new “go to” IPA is always a good thing. I am not familiar with the Odell portfolio, but I can’t wait to try more. There are a few more on our list, and I am excited to try them all. Bottoms up, people!

Odell IPA - The bottle says: “READY TO BUCK CONVENTION - We took the traditional IPA, originally shipped from England to India in the 1700s, and made it bolder and more flavorful - American style. We’ve added new varieties of highly aromatic American hops to create a distinctive bitterness profile and an incredible hop character. Hop on, hold tight, and enjoy the ride.”

(By the way, I keep sticking my nose in the glass to smell this pile of hops. Love it!)

07-09-2012 02:53:58 | More by rickyleepotts
maltlikker

3.5/5  rDev -18%

07-07-2012 22:50:57 | More by maltlikker
juice000

Simply my favorite go to IPA. Tastes wonderful i these hot summers here in Tucson Arizona. Citrus loaded, well balanced, and overall the best IPA I have had. This is saying alot as I've consumed many many IPA's over the last 15 years of dedication.

07-07-2012 19:29:12 | More by juice000
Zuidman

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

07-06-2012 04:58:12 | More by Zuidman
Ilafan

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

After downing a stout on the hottest day of the year, I switched to something lighter. This IPA could be the best IPA I've tasted. The hoppiness is well-balanced with an almost lemony taste (the bitter part of a lemon, not the sweet part). It was very crisp and smooth, easy to drink. Compared to other IPAs, this had less of a fruity taste, and I liked that. Very good beer!

07-04-2012 21:11:16 | More by Ilafan
metalgdog

07-03-2012 01:09:44 | More by metalgdog
jsulko

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a tulip glass

Bottle purchased on Father's Day excursion in Wichita KS.

Golden color slightly cloudy with a decent white head.

Smell is very citrusy with a hint of sweetness in the background.

Taste is very grapefruity with a citrus bite on the finish. Very smooth easy drinking IPA.

A great IPA. Third different IPA/PA that I had from Odell and all were excellent.

07-02-2012 03:13:09 | More by jsulko

06-23-2012 19:50:42 | More by sammo
fisherlandon

South Dakota

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer pours a golden sort of red color
it has a medium mouthfeel but very crips mouthfeel
tastes of very citrus spicy hops and is balanced very well
overall this is one of my favorite balanced IPAs that I have had. It is perfect on a summer day and has the ability to warm you all of the way through

06-23-2012 02:28:56 | More by fisherlandon

06-12-2012 05:27:24 | More by leeswagerty
tenesmus

United Kingdom (England)

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

12 oz Bottle purchased in Wahlbar in Fallowfield Manchester.

Poured by the barman, minimal off-white head, lacing nicely down the sides. Copper coloured body, ambient carbonation.

Aroma is muted compared to many IPAs, that grapefruit thing takes hold primarily, but some orange, pine resin, lavender and floral perfume involved, a touch of bready malts.

Taste is, again, a little low key, the citrus notes are there, some tropical fruit and the malty biscuit, caramel undertone has a spiciness that is pleasing. It feels a decent drink... smooth with minimal fizz, but a little lacking in complexity and fails to pack the punch you might expect from a US IPA, so feels a bit ho-hom. There's a number of more intriguing IPAs available on the market in the UK at present.

06-10-2012 19:13:09 | More by tenesmus