Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros

3.55/5  rDev -17.1%

I really wanted to like this - especially after all the good reviews, but I didn't get nearly the taste I was hoping for. Perhaps my tastebuds have deadened. :)
Appearance and smell were top notch, but somehow it fell flat for me. I did enjoy Myrcenary and Wooden Sidecar though - will try again sometime just to double check my findings.

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I ordinarily am not an IPA fan, and generally it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to IPA's because I have to have something high quality and pretty mind blowing to even set foot in my radar.

A few years back a couple co-workers raved about this and announced it as 'the flagship of American IPAs' to me... I gave in and found myself a single and took it home. Hoppy sounded good at the time but I specifically remembered being very under enthused. The proclamation of greatness fell short and I just never went back... until...

A friend inspired me and spring whether has sparked my tastebuds for hoppy once again. Picked up a six pack and put the grandeur out of my head to give this another whirl.

This is not the "flagship of all American IPAs". No offense. This time around, it has caught my attention though and I have greatly enjoyed it.

Appearance is typical of an IPA, deep gold. Looks nice.

Smells really good, subtle pine and herbal hops with hints of spruce and a bit of citrus (lemon).

Tastes fling you forward into a very slightly malty sweet with the herbal notes at the front with it. It sets into some citrus and then the pine and spruce roar into the end and really clear off well into a good bitter and slightly dry finish. Hopped really well. I like a good spruce/piney IPA and this definitely has that. The citrus mingles well. Overall it goes without complaint. Just really nice to bring in the springtime. Kind of crisp with the dry bitter. I could take this camping and be a happy camper.

Mouthfeel is pretty spot on. Not heavy, not even quite medium body. Just below the medium I'd say. Carbonation is great. Not to much, not to little. Spot on.

This is a beer that is great because there is a serious lack of complaint about it. It's had to complain at all. It doesn't blow your mind or beat your palate up. It is just spot on and really well achieved. I'm glad my Colorado brethren inspired me for one more go at it.

If you are looking for an IPA that will not let you down and you are a fan of the more piney, woodsy sorts of IPA. This is it I would say. It's hard to find a beer that you can't point out problems with without being a nitpicking hard-ass.

Again. Well achieved.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep, fairly hazy orange with a slightly off-white rocky head that dissapated into a thin soapy film. Very nice lacing.

S: Intense rindy citrus, grassy, resinous pine, touch of floral fruitiness and a touch of sweet maltiness.

T/M: Nice bitterness upfront, moves into a nice hop profile with notes of citrus rind, pine, lemon, resin, and some fruity notes lingering around (aided by esters?). The malt provides excellent balance, giving a bready presence and a full, smooth mouthfeel.

Overall, this is a stellar IPA, with superb balance and a deep, complex hop profile. I would guess that this beer uses a generous amount of columbus on the back end, because it has that awesome 'dankness' about it. That seems to be a signature move of some of these Colorado Breweries, Deviant Dales IPA does the same thing. I wish I could get this stuff up in Montana, it would be a regular in my fridge.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brought back from denver from a cool beer buddy, kept chilled on the ride, best by 6/19/13 so I imagine just under 2 weeks fresh. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into HF stemware.

A: Golden orange/amber clear in color with a nice 2 finger off-white head, good retention and lacing.

S: Citrus dominates, come tropical fruits, great smelling. not too much pine or grassy notes. Not the most aromatic but nice flavors on the nose for sure.

T: Citrus hop flavor is great! nice malt backbone to balance it, moderate amount of bitterness, not too sweet, just overall a very nicely flavored and balanced beer. No heat whatsoever.

M: Carbonation is spot on, and the mouthfeel achieves a creamy texture rarely found in single IPAs. Needless to say, I'm a fan. Solid dry finish. Only a tad watery.

O: Wonderful IPA. If available, this would be my go-to everyday beer. A must-try for sure, deserving of world-class ranking for IPA style.

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From a 355 ml bottle (best by June 1, 2013) into a tulip.

A-A slightly aggressive pour produces about two fingers of off-white head that leaves nice, oily lacing on the glass as you drink. The brew is clear, with some visible carbonation in the golden colored liquid.

S-The smell is a complex and pleasing mixture of floral citrus fruits (mostly orange) and spicy, lightly pine-scented hops. This brew is no hyped up hop bomb, though, you get a decent balance in the form of pale malts.

T-The flavor follows the smell pretty closely and also exhibits a nice balance of floral, lightly spicy hops and a decent-strength pale malt character. Hop dankness is mild and the finish is more peppery-orange than earthy-bitter, which I like.

M-The feel is slightly creamy with smooth carbonation and a hint of dank, oily hops. The finish is long-lasting.

O-This is a well-done IPA. I especially enjoy the balance between hop and malt. Many times you get a complete hop bomb, which is fine for what it is. Other times, you get both hops and malts, but they don't mesh well. Here, the hop flavors integrate quite well with the malt flavors to produce a tasty and great-smelling IPA. High marks are also deserved for a great mouthfeel.

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company