Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros

3.77/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a clear and true red with little to no topping.

Smells uniquely oily and citrusy with a candy coating.

Upon the first taste you realize this is unapologeticaly a Colorado beer with its big, "meaty" hops, a perfect splash of citrus, and the right amount of sweetness.

Lies on the heavy side of medium in body, but smooth going down. I can feel this one on my stomach afterwards, so plan accordingly if you're pairing with food or going out for the night.

While this beer falls in line with the crowd just enough to play the game, it carefully avoids the fatal trap of replication, and comes out on top by doing so.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a hazy pale yellow with a white head.

The smell is strong citrus hops, lemons and grapefruit.

The taste is much like the smell, citrus flavour and honey with some hoppy bitterness.

The mouth feel is creamy and medium bodied with a low amount of carbonation.

Overall the citrus flavours and smells are extremely strong but pleasant.

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Dark golden orange with surprising large creamy head. Pour slowly. Smells strongly of citrusy hops. Fairly strong hop taste that lingers for quite a while. This is a standard IPA. Enjoyable, and I would go back to it, but nothing amazing. A solid effort.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.92/5  rDev +15%

One of the juiciest ipas i've ever had, so much flavor packed into a beer its outstanding, the aftertaste leaves you wanting a ridiculous amount more. I wish this was an everyday item in CT, thanks Tim for hooking me up with this one, as an extra none the less.

If you havent had it, seek it out and try it. If you have access to it, buy it, a lot of it!

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

I've had this offering from Odell's several times and it's always struck me as a very solid American IPA. Poured from a bottle into a tumbler producing a two finger off white head.

Appearance: Nice copper hue.

Aroma: Grapefruit, citrus, hops. The effects of dry hopping really pay off in the nose.

Taste: One of the juiciest IPAs I've had! The grapefruit and slight citrus favors come through and balance very well with the light malts used. No overwhelming bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth for an IPA. Not syrupy, not watery. High drinkability.

Final Thoughts: A refreshing IPA and a personal favorite. Thankfully it is a year round offering. A little on the expensive side at $10.99 a six pack but completely worth the occasional splurge. Definitely best fresh so the hops can really shine!

4.01/5  rDev -6.3%

A couple of weeks ago, my buddy Ken asked if I wanted to grab a beer. I got there a little early, and saw they had Odell IPA on the menu. I hadn’t had that yet, and since we are new to Arizona I am trying all of these new brews. I ordered one and fell in love with the beer the second I poured it into the glass. The aroma was incredible, and the aftertaste lasted for a really long time. I am a big IPA guy… but this one takes the cake.

Tonight we are drinking from Papago Brewing. This place is sweet, and is quickly becoming our favorite place in the Valley. They have a great beer selection (both bottles and on draft) and their food is pretty good. I am hoping we can get them as a sponsor for the 1001 Bottles project. Anyway, let’s drink!

In the Glass: When we ordered the bottle, the server said, “1 bottle. 2 glasses.” He brought us two small glasses, and poured the beer for us. The beer is somewhat orange, and has a weak head and almost no lace.

Nose: The aroma is amazing. It is like a glass full of hops. The aroma sticks around for a while, and just punches you in the face. I love it. It smells like an American IPA is supposed to smell like. Let’s see what she tastes like.

Flavor: Oh. My. God. This beer is loaded with flavor, but it doesn’t knock you out with bitterness. There isn’t a lot of carbonation and the mouthfeel is just so smooth. The flavor is just what I expected from a good IPA.

Mouthfeel: A lot of IPAs have a ton of carbonation, but this one is surprisingly smooth. It starts off soft, and then the hops just kick in and overwhelm the palate. That is when the aftertaste starts and just hangs on for a LONG time.

Aftertaste: It’s still there. Man, this aftertaste is wicked. It isn’t overwhelming, but it does have a consistent flavor that just hangs on for dear life. Just when I think it’s time for another drink, I swallow… and there is the bitterness from those hop varieties. The burp is pretty great, too.

This is such a good beer. I am such a big IPA guy that finding a new “go to” IPA is always a good thing. I am not familiar with the Odell portfolio, but I can’t wait to try more. There are a few more on our list, and I am excited to try them all. Bottoms up, people!

Odell IPA - The bottle says: “READY TO BUCK CONVENTION - We took the traditional IPA, originally shipped from England to India in the 1700s, and made it bolder and more flavorful - American style. We’ve added new varieties of highly aromatic American hops to create a distinctive bitterness profile and an incredible hop character. Hop on, hold tight, and enjoy the ride.”

(By the way, I keep sticking my nose in the glass to smell this pile of hops. Love it!)

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company