Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,473 | Reviews: 653
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

12oz bottle sent by scotchboy. Best by 4/4/12, pretty darn fresh.

A: This is a really yellow IPA, it has an orange hue to it but it's mostly yellow. The standard 1 1/4" head forms in a hurry, while falling back down just as fast. Sticky webbed lace coats the glass.

S: These hops came out of the bottle and smacked me in the face as soon as I cracked it open. I'm mainly getting that oily west coast pine aroma here, super fresh pine. Mango and to a lesser extent, other citrus is hanging around in there. This has a sweet honey aroma to it. Light pale malts do their best to stay out of the way.

T: This isn't all that similar to the aroma, it seems more citrusy than piney to me. It is fairly sweet, in a good way, with a juicy toned down orange flavor. Centennial and amarillo seem to be used here, making the flavors mellow and not overdone. Oily pine comes out a bit as I continue to drink. I don't notice the alcohol.

M: Light enough for easy drinking but still a good body. I like that it doesn't feel like sandpaper on my tongue.

O: This one hits the sweet spot for me, it almost reminds me of union jack. Fruity, light pine, lightly sweet, and not so bitter that I get sick of drinking it after 1 or 2. I think it holds it's own against my favorite midwest IPA's.

This guy never sends a bad beer. Thanks Daniel.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.21/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A solid IPA, finally having it on tap.

Orangy color, more golden though. Bright. Nice white foamy cap, great lacing all the way through.

Aroma is subdued a bit, I'm betting b/c of the temperature at serving. usuals are there though. Citrus and some caramel. Light breadiness. Pine needles on the end

As with the bottle, this is a well balanced IPA. Not a hop head's dream, but the hops ain't shy. Citrus, zest, pine and bread. Good bite to it. Nice and bold.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Pours a straw colored yellowish orange with two finger head. Lacing clings to side of glass.

S - Citrus, orange, a bit of ganja.

T - Crisp citrus hops, lemon, orange, again that hint of ganja and that bitter wave of hops followed by just barely noticeable malt backbone and dry finish.

M - Medium with good carbonation and dry finish.

O - This is a very solid IPA and a staple in my fridge. Finally getting around to reviewing this great beer. I go back and forth with this and two hearted as my go to IPA's. Definitely seek out if available.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Freshly delivered bottle with bb date of 4-26 poured into a New Glarus footed pilsener. Had this one numerous times, but after over 100 different IPAs its time to review.

A: Pours a nice golden blonde with some orange. Head is moderate and fluffy white, dying down but sticking around throughout. Nice sticky lacing all the way to the bottom.

S: Big juicy blast of sweet citrus hops. Red grapefruit, orange and syrupy sugar. Reminds me of an Ocean Spray sweetened grapefruit juice.

T: Perfect hop profile. Taste follows the nose nicely with the same sweet juicy grapefruit, followed by some nice slightly earthy bitterness. Just a hint of sweet malt presence rounds it out on the end. Almost reminds me of a fresh hopped ale.

M: Again, spot on. Nice and juicy, solid carbonation with bitterness kicking in quickly but not overbearing in any way. Keeps you coming back.

O: Just an excellent beer all around. The hops are spot on, the aroma and taste compliment each other, and the bitterness has just the right amount of bite. Extremely drinkable IPA, and

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A superb IPA that I'm grateful I can get in AZ

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint...

A: Pours a light golden orange color. Mostly clear with a thin quarter finger white head ringing the sides of the glass and some gobs of head floating on top. Good lacing and decent retention.

S: Wow, that smells first rate. Lots of orange zest, grapefruit, and lemon from what I presume are citra hops. Some very light, creamy malt. It is all fruit, all smooth, and all refreshing. I absolutely love IPAs like this. Not a hint of bitterness to be detected in the nose. This is very close to best in class.

T: Here goes...interesting, not what I expected from the nose. There is a lot (and I mean a lot) of lemon on this, probably more than I have ever tasted in any other IPA. A lot of thick, chewy malts on the mid along with a good helping of bittering pine resin notes. Creamy orange citrus floats along in the background and then resolves into a lemony, slightly bitter finish. The lemon notes are very interesting, and really make this one stand apart. I dig it quite a bit.

M: Light bodied and very well balanced. Good malt backbone to what is a citrusy, hoppy beer. Very crisp, very refreshing.

O: A very impressive IPA, unique for its crispness, lightness, and lemon notes. It never comes across as thin, though, as it is full flavored and reasonably complex for an IPA. This is the second beer I have had from Odell and I am quite impressed. Excellent job!

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle dated 2/24/12. Best by date, I'm assuming.

Pours a hazy golden, orange color wih a couple of fingers of whte foam on top. The nose is citrus fruit , pale malt and pine. Taste is big citrus up front with a good dose of bitterness. Orange, tangerine and grapefruit are featured. A biscuity malt backbone balances things out mid-palate. The finish bursts with citrus flavors which are followed by piney, hops and a moderately bitter aftertaste which lingers a bit. The beer is medium bodied with a nice prickly level of carbonation. Overall, Odell makes a darned fine IPA. Good bitterness combined with pronounced citrus flavors and a nice malt profile make this a very enjoyable brew. Wish they distributed to Cali.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Wow, wow, and wow! Had this one at the Fort Collins Canyon Chop House. Just the sweet, floral, citrusy hop aroma from a few feet away tells you this is a killer brew. And drinking it -- I'm talking ambrosia! One would be hard pressed to find a better, well-rounded, thoroughly drinkable example of an IPA.

Perhaps because it was on tap instead of a 12oz bottle, but I, at first thought, that perhaps I was served Odell's St. Myrcenary because the hop aroma and taste was so deliciously upfront and there! Well, this serving just blew me away...a hop-heads delight...!!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company