Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 666 | Hads: 2,703
4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Slightly hazed copper body capped with a thin bubbly dirty white head. Lacing is actually pretty full for the amount of froth on top. Aroma is chalk full of tropical hop sensations: pineapple, grapefruit, mango, tangerine... The list goes on. Orange marmalade. It's also smoky and resinous as well. Probably the best smelling IPA I've come across. Beer enters the mouth with a solid caramel malt base, but that sensation doesn't last long before it's pummeled with the aforementioned tropical sensations. Great hop flavor. Bitterness is very clean and enjoyable during and after the drink. Body is medium to medium-full. Moderately carbonated and extremely enjoyable.

I recently did a blind tasting of 13 IPAs which included some big hitters like 2 Hearted Ale, Masala Mama and Bitter Woman. This not only came out on top of my ratings, but also of my brother's. To me, this beer tastes like an IPA version of Hopslam. Awesome. (929 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Crisp, hoppy, balanced, and delicious. This has been my gold standard for the IPA since I first had it some 7 years ago. I don't know if they still rotate it in but it had a pretty good run on nitro at the brewery a number of years back and... wow. I can still taste it in my dreams some four years later. Like a delicate, golden hop butter. (341 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Now I got to say that this one turned out to be quite a shock to me. I was expecting just a rather normal IPA, nothing special but I was totally blow away by this one. The pour was gentle, resulting in a very bright amber, hazy and amply carbonated liquid which sat in its glass covered with a monster of a three inch or more head. This rested gently down and left behind generous amounts of side glass clingy and sticky lace, that are in all likelihood still there the next day. Just a great overall look, damn perfect for the style. The aroma coming off this knocked me back off of my feet for a good minute. Huge floral hop presence, I mean huge. Tons of citrus flavors, orange, tangerine, and very sweet as well. There was just a really fresh aroma coming off of it. It was literally dripping fresh. The taste was enormous. I had a hop profile that made you go nuts. Lots of orange and pineapple mixed in with a ton of sweetness, it was just heaven. A big resin, bitter dry finish was superb. Great smooth and light feel was no match for the huge flavor in here. This was really fantastic I could have had this all night, if only I had some more of it. This was far and away one of the best IPA's I have ever had. It was just unreal fresh and hopped to a level I very rarely see. I can find no fault in it at all, so it gets my second ever rating of a perfect five. To say I was surprised by what came out of this bottle was an understatement. This was a perfect IPA, I mean perfect. Maybe it was the bottle, hopefully this is the way they all are and if so this is a testament to something I never heard of before. Must Get More of this as fast as possible, it was that good. (1,680 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

Personal favorite local brew of mine, and I am just now getting around to reviewing it. I have been so carried away w/ trading lately, that this beer gave me a wake up call saying "hey stupid, look what you can get in your own back yard!"

A - clear topaz color w/ well retaining foam top and some sexy lacing

S - huge piney and citrus nose, wow! I look like an idiot because I cannot stop picking up my glass -only to sniff not drink! (they should make air-fresheners that smell like this)

T - hop bitterness is the king of the castle, plenty of it to feed the whole family of taste buds. BUT they are kept in check by a delectable fruity, backround. Not just bready malt like so many other IPAs i've had, this fruity sweetness has character, almost tropical in a way. bitter but not overly so finish leaves me begging for more! I don't beleive a better balance can be achieved in this style.

MF - not too oily or carbonated, just right. and a medium full body.

D- too high, i can and will drink this till the cows come home. (1,030 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

12oz Brown bottle with a best by date of 09/02/2014, poured into an Odell Snifter

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden amber with a 1/2 finger of head that recedes into a thin ring and shows a beautiful lace down my glass

Smell: Citrusy hops, very grapefruit-like

Taste: Bright and citrus hops; bitterness up front which develops in a citrus hop note and rounds out in flavor with a nice mix of hop and malt in the finish

Mouthfeel: This just feels like how id imagine hop juice to be if such a thing existed ; very full-flavored

Overall: This beer really shows off the bright, juicy hop notes of Odell's beers. Their hop profiles help to really stand out and define themselves as brand in a market that is over saturated with IPAs. There is plenty of hop flavor and bitterness up front but the finish rounds everything out with a bit of the malt backbone showing through. (872 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

I could start this reveiw by describing this brew and taking it apart bubble by bubble but i'm not. I'm going to describe what this beer did to me. This beer slightly resembles two heart from bells brew co except a different beast. I went into tasting this beer uninformed and ready to try some new brews. I was blown away by this beer. I ended up buying a case of this before I came back to indiana from colorado. I could drink this beer everyday for the rest of my life and not get tired of it.

It most closely resembles a fresh squeezed morange (mango orange). I can't wait until our next adventure IPA. (607 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a nice orange amber like color that is slightly hazy. Head is about 2 fingers worth with a semi aggressive pour and recedes from there, with very nice and frothy looking bubbles almost like soap bubbles. Very attractive lacing.

S - Amazing floral hop scent that overwhelms in the finest of ways. Pine, orange peel, lime zest, pineapple, grapefruit certainly come to mind. Absolutely enticing.

T - Moderate carbonation opens up the pallet to the amazing hops that burst in your mouth., The hops provide a nice tropical fruity flavor with the right amount of piney resin to balance it out. Finishes with an excellent drying bitterness. Drinks super well.

M - Crisp and carbonated (not too much) up front that immediately becomes bitter and drying.

O: One hell of a beer. It is semi session-able and is killer refreshing on a hot day. First beer i have picked up from them and man was I impressed. Looking forward to trying new beers from Odell Brewing. (967 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Being from Oklahoma, land of the 3.2, and home of the warm, couple dozen "craft brews" at the liquor store (but not on Sundays), I immediately decided to delve into good brews when I moved to Colorado at the start of 2010. The concept of cold, strong beer - not to mention drive-thru liquor stores open 7 days a week - was completely foreign to me. I didn't even fathom that a place like beeradvocate.com even existed, so I just started tasting the brews at the (numerous) liquor stores in Greeley, where I was working at the time. I had heard of a few "big names" such as DFH 60-90-120, and jumped in head first. My old bar in Oklahoma just happened to be a brew pub called "Belle Isle Brewery." My friends and I frequented the place starting the day i turned 21. Not for the beer, but because of the great live music, daily specials and "free beer" happy hours (with a paid cover) . I always liked their beers, and they were often very cheap, if not free for a couple hours, every night of the week. Around 2001 they introduced a beer called "Pete's Super Hoppy IPA." Basically nobody in the entire state knew what an IPA was at the time, and everyone - myself included - was turned off by it. Too bitter. That said, I was poor at the time, and they started to sell it every night for no more than $2.00 a pint. At somewhere around 6.2% it was their strongest brew. So it became my go-to beer. My friends hated it, as did nearly every other customer, so it was around for a LONG time. Little did I know it, but I was a hophead in waiting.

Fast forward ~10 years to the first time I bought Odell IPA. 8 miles from the brewery. It was like nothing I had ever tasted. At the time I had, for all intents and purposes, no palate to speak of. BOOM. It blew up in my mouth. Best beer I had ever tasted... by far. It was so chocked full of citrus, yet sweet and bitter at the same time while being extremely refreshing and drinkable. My feeble "3.2" Okie mind could barely grasp the 7% ABV, let alone understand the complexity. And it felt like smooth liquified candy in my mouth.

Fast forward 3.42 years and it is still my favorite beer of all time. It's my go-to, and it's on tap everywhere in Denver. I've had hoppier IPAs. IPAs with more citrus. Maltier IPAs. Fantastic and orgasmic IPAs that push the boundaries of the style. But none are better than this " only" little IPA brewed by a bunch of great people in Fort Collins, CO.

I love to be adventurous and expand my horizons in the craft beer world. As a result, I sometimes go months without an Odell IPA. But I'll be DAMNED if that first sip doesn't time warp me back to the moment that I realized that drinking good beer is one of life's most amazing little joys. (2,723 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Friend brought from brewery, had in bottle, poured beautiful golden with thin head and tempting lacing.

I simply love this IPA, smells fresh, hoppy, citrus notes - almost lemon. Pine and perfectly balanced hops and a clean and light, crisp finish that lingers with delicious deep flavors that even feel fruity.

Not the most bitter IPA, not the most distinguished, but perhaps the most refreshing and complete. (413 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A-Has a rich amber color with little to no head but a good lacing.
S-Wonderful smell very fragrant hoppy scent.
T-The intense hop rush from this beer the 1st time i had it was astounding i was ready for an IPA but this one suprised even me.
M-Leaves a very nice hop taste in your mouth with a very good finish for a beer with as much alcohol and hops as it does.
D-Not for the faint of heart or the casual drinker but if you are an IPA lover or someone who doesnt back down from a challenge pick one up and try it, you will not be disapointed (583 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

Gorgeous mandarin haze with white cloud of head that never dissipated. Strong hop aroma with a very unique and very pleasant scent of mangoes, followed by tangerines and grapefruit. Bold hop flavor, again followed by that unique but lovely mango presence, rounded off with a medium malt character. Nothing more to want from the balanced mouthfeel as the carbonation rises to meet the higher abv. A little on the thick side for a regular IPA, but this is no regular IPA. What it loses in drinkability it more than makes up for in taste, style and complexity. This IPA will always be a favorite. Very impressed by Odell. (618 characters)

On tap at the brewery.

a-golden in color, lively carbonation. Poured into an imperial pint glass, laces with every sip.

s-huge aromatic hops are present with tons of citrus, grapefruit rind, and some sweetness. This is how an IPA should smell. As the beer warms, it just gets better.

t-big hop forward, but not too overwhelming. This beer has plenty of balance, but gives a lot of the citrus, grapefruit and malty backbone to the palate. The beer has a long finish, and holds on until the next sip. This is not palate wrecking, but you can tell it's a big IPA. Bitterness is welcome, and fades out after the beer is off the palate. Alcohol is well hidden here. Very tasty!

m-medium bodied, and not heavy on the tongue at all. appropriate for the style.

o-Odell rocked this beer. Well balanced, and well constructed. This IPA is a standard bearer, and has a lot going on with it. The beer is not trying too hard, and has balance and fits the IPA style perfectly. (968 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful white foam head floats above a separation of slightly hazy, orange and yellow body.
Nose: orange and grapefruit rinds, a fruity bouquet of hop goodness, with sweet bread in the background.
Taste: the hops impart flavor throughout, from the citrus rind with a bready zest, to tropical flavors as it warms a bit. Yes the pint is emptying quickly.
Mouthfeel: creamy, smooth, medium carbonated. Bitterness and hop dankness feels juicy and extremely well balanced. Ends perfectly.
This to me is a perfect example of an IPA. Probably not my favorite, but among the best I've ever tasted. Grain and hop balance are spot on for highly drinkable smoothness. My first try from this brewery, which is new to the TX market. It's reputation holds up well (as do most in the brewscape). (786 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

The quintessential IPA. Very citrus forward, easy drinking beer without being overly boozy. My personal favorite IPA that is on the market today. Ride that elephant!! (169 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

GREAT!
The color has a nice lighter shade to it.
The smell was very nice, hoppy and fruity.
The taste was wonderful, not at all what I expected, it was great. Nice hop touch with a bit of citrus blend to it, nice and smooth.
The mouthfeel was a little light, but the the aftertaste makes up for it.
I could drink this beer all night, and I plan on drinking all 6 right now. This is one of the few beers I enjoy drinking fast because I love the taste so much, a good any-time beer.

As the label says: Hop on, hold tight, and enjoy the ride! (540 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a slightly hazy yellow orange with two fingers of beautiful, bubbly foam. Nice lacing left behind on the glass.

S: Fruity esters: pineapple, papaya, lemon. Some yeast, mild bubblegum and a touch of soapiness. Clean, vibrant, and a bit zesty.

T: Mainly grapefruit, lemon peel, and some pine. Mildly bitter. Very citrusy yet well balanced.

M: Medium bodied and well carbonated.

Overall, extremely well-executed, nicely balanced, and super refreshing. I imagine this would taste euphoric on a hot, sunny summer day. (526 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +12.7%

Usually I can say, this is a East or West coast IPA. Not with this one. To start, the pour is a clear amber color with a light golden hue throughout. A nice off white head with good retention and ok lacing.

The nose is unique as the hops are pleasant and not over the top, but still assertive. A great mix of floral, earthy, citrus and a hint of pine. Some grapefruit and orange and a hint of pineapple on the backend. There is a subtle but good malt backing. Some hints of maltiness and a touch of caramel and a feint hint of honey as well.

The taste is very well balanced. The malt is blended nicely with the hops. The malt starts with a malty sweet taste up front but is quickly balanced with a light bitterness that is a bit subtle but still detectable. Finishing hops really come out with a nice citrus & floral mix. A mix of grapefruit, orange and herbal/floral hop is assertive but not over the top. Very clean yeast with no off flavors.

The body is moderate and easy drinking. Carbonation is light but ok. Overall this is a great example of an IPA and one that has won multiple awards. Great balance, with an assertive hop characteristic that isn't a punch in the face. (1,180 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

I've had this offering from Odell's several times and it's always struck me as a very solid American IPA. Poured from a bottle into a tumbler producing a two finger off white head.

Appearance: Nice copper hue.

Aroma: Grapefruit, citrus, hops. The effects of dry hopping really pay off in the nose.

Taste: One of the juiciest IPAs I've had! The grapefruit and slight citrus favors come through and balance very well with the light malts used. No overwhelming bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth for an IPA. Not syrupy, not watery. High drinkability.

Final Thoughts: A refreshing IPA and a personal favorite. Thankfully it is a year round offering. A little on the expensive side at $10.99 a six pack but completely worth the occasional splurge. Definitely best fresh so the hops can really shine! (797 characters)

Photo of
4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

a-orange/yellow beer with lively carbonation. Nice white head, with tons of lacing down the glass.

s-tons of nose on this beer. Lots of different hops shine through. Has pine, grapefruit, citrus, and some tropical fruits.

t-bold IPA with a lot of the nose expressed in the taste. Good bitterness that finishes for a while. Great tasting beer that does not pack any booziness to the beer. Some malts sit back to let the hops shine, but give some balance.

m-coating mouthfeel with a semi oily feel.

o-fantastic beer and a good example of an American IPA. Better when fresh. Great year round offering from this brewer. (619 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The quintessential Colorado IPA! The hop character is probably the best I've ever experienced from a single IPA, but manages to just hold onto enough balance to make the beer thoroughly drinkable. One caveat: I never like it as well in the bottle. That magical whole flower hop character just doesn't seem to survive the bottling process. (338 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Got a bottle as a "extra" in a trade with JMBSH, thanks!

A: Pours a cloudy orange with a decent head, nice lacing through the drink.

S: Smells great! Like hops and grapefruit, I thought of Blind Pig or PTE when I smelled this beer.

T: Taste is awesome, grapefruit hops and some malt are predominant with me and I love it.

M&D: This is almost a perfect IPA in my opinion, not overboard and not too weak. I went to throe the bottle in the recycle bin today and smell it and it still smelled of grapefruit. This was like a West Coast IPA but it's wasn't...I loved this beer. If I could get it here it would be my #1 go to beer!

Thanks for the trade! (651 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Three finger head on initial pour. Light amber / golden-orange coloring. Very little cloudiness; clean and clear. Slight retention with just a bit of lacing. A very thin layer of froth persisted throughout the 12oz's.

S: Crisp, clean floral smell with traces of pine. Caramel sweetness comes through slightly with hints of fresh-baked bread.

T: Amazing. The best IPA I've found. A nicely complex flavor. The floral flavor hits you right away, bringing a good kick of hoppy-bitterness (with just a touch of pine). This is quickly masked by a bready, slightly sweet, caramel flavoring that is most evident upon swallowing. This overtakes the bitterness that lingers on through the complex aftertaste. This aftertaste consists of mostly pine and floral notes.

M: I could claim that this beer is overly carbonated, but I do that all the time. I think, for most, this beer has the perfect MF.

D: I drink these beers like they're 5%ABV. Good Lord, if there is a beer at 7%ABV that's more palatable than this, let me know . . . Like I said, amazing.

I love this IPA so much because of it's complexity. Unlike most IPA's that give you a taste of caramel malt followed by a crazy amount of bitterness, this beer initially hits you with a floral bitterness (preparing you for the ride), and only then follows suit with its sweet and then bitter profile. This beer is a roller-coaster ride, but one that is controlled and well maintained. Drink this! (1,448 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big grassy hop nose, pours brilliant gold under a 1” off white foam cap that persists and clings, Creamy, spicy with some fruit, on the palate with hop bitterness balancing the fruit. Medium high carbonation, medium body. A world class old standby. (250 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

This is my go to IPA, I always know what I'm getting with this beer.I think one of the more balanced IPA's out there. The lacing is perfect and color is spot on. Very citrus
with hints of pine resin a touch of floral make this such a fine beer. I really enjoy the hop finish,
very juicy too. (293 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Have bought pints on tap at the Odell brewery, LaLuz (South) on Boardwalk in Fort Collins ($2 a pint), and Lucky Joe's in Fort Collins ($2 a pint) many, many, many times. Have also bought six-packs of bottles. This review is for Odell IPA on tap at LaLuz.

Pours a hazy golden copper with a white creamy head and nice retention. Aroma of citrus- grapefruit, lemon, orange, and pine notes. The aroma lets you know that you are in for a real treat. Has a nice full mouth feel. The flavors are complex, well-balanced, and absolutely wonderful. The balance between hops and malt is flawless. This flavors end with a nice bitter crispness. The taste of alcohol is muted but warming. For IPA lovers, this is pure heaven. Interestingly, this IPA actually tastes better on tap at the two locations listed above than at the Odell brewery. This may be related to serving temperature. Furthermore, bottles of this IPA even when very fresh are not quite up to the stellar heights of this IPA on tap. If you are in the Fort, you owe it to yourself to indulge in a pint or two (or three) of this nectar of the malt gods. (1,106 characters)

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company