Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,583 | Reviews: 676
4.75/5  rDev +11%

World class all the way. Outstanding aroma never disappoints and everything just works. The most constantly clean IPA I have had.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

This is my go to IPA, I always know what I'm getting with this beer.I think one of the more balanced IPA's out there. The lacing is perfect and color is spot on. Very citrus
with hints of pine resin a touch of floral make this such a fine beer. I really enjoy the hop finish,
very juicy too.

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Have bought pints on tap at the Odell brewery, LaLuz (South) on Boardwalk in Fort Collins ($2 a pint), and Lucky Joe's in Fort Collins ($2 a pint) many, many, many times. Have also bought six-packs of bottles. This review is for Odell IPA on tap at LaLuz.

Pours a hazy golden copper with a white creamy head and nice retention. Aroma of citrus- grapefruit, lemon, orange, and pine notes. The aroma lets you know that you are in for a real treat. Has a nice full mouth feel. The flavors are complex, well-balanced, and absolutely wonderful. The balance between hops and malt is flawless. This flavors end with a nice bitter crispness. The taste of alcohol is muted but warming. For IPA lovers, this is pure heaven. Interestingly, this IPA actually tastes better on tap at the two locations listed above than at the Odell brewery. This may be related to serving temperature. Furthermore, bottles of this IPA even when very fresh are not quite up to the stellar heights of this IPA on tap. If you are in the Fort, you owe it to yourself to indulge in a pint or two (or three) of this nectar of the malt gods.

4.74/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Clear light orange, pours with a 1/4 inch of head.

S - Strong floral smell with hints of tropical fruit

T - Well balanced taste between the light malt, sweet floral/citrus hops. Light aftertaste.

M - A very light feeling with a tingling from the carbonation that makes it roll off my tongue nicely.

D- My favorite IPA by far. The most balanced IPA I have had. Well worth the 1.72 a bottle I found it for in AZ.

4.74/5  rDev +10.7%

12oz bottle obtained via SS09 from vasdef42. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head above the clear golden amber brew. Head recedes gradually, with stocky sheeting lace. Aroma is dominated by pungeant fresh hops, green and piney. Taste starts moderately sweet, goes piney bitter in the middle, and carries through the close to the aftertaste. Tons of hop flavor, not total bitter face. Mouthfeel is very soft and smooth, and drinkability is awesome. Get you some.

poured into a mug

ill just skip to the goods:

this is my favorite IPA overall. just a fantastic blend of your typical IPA flavors, pine and citrus hops. smooth yet powerful enough to hang with some DIPAS. not as boozy as the 7% carries either. great nose, great pour with a big white fluffy head.

dollar for dollar there aint much better folks. everytime i make my way to minnesota i make SURE i take at least a 6 pack of this home with me.

this beer has become a staple for me. just flat out awesome!

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Beautiful light honey with a hint of amber. Great lacing

S: Tropical fruits, very slight herbal notes

T: Amazing, The fruit aromas lead one into thinking it may be sweet but it is simply balanced. Slightly underhopped by most standards but again it's perfectly balanced with little detectible malt.

M: Perfectly smooth. Each sip inviting another

O: The perfect go to IPA, nothing crazy, not a stunt beer just a great everyday IPA

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Thanks to angrybabboon for another bottle for review.

Appearance: Slightly hazy gold. Head is bright-white. Lacing is crazy. The sides of the glass are coated in sticky, nearly continuous lace. Head dissipates quickly, but never really disappears. Carbonation is solid.

Smell: Big nose of grapefruit and pine resin. Loaded up with some serious malts as well. Nicely sweet with some touches of bread crust and biscuit. Well-balanced approach. Tons of hops. Floral, earthy, and juicy. Lovely.

Taste: Straight punch of pure, unadulterated bitterness. Pith and zest, read grapefruit, are aggressive and never let up. Pine sneaks on to the back of each sip. Malts are sweet, and try to balance some of the hop punch, but come up short. A touch minty perhaps? Touch of biscuity malt rounds out the back, but damn, this is one mighty tasty IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a solid, but not strong carbonation. Dry-hopping leads to dry mouth...or so I think. Easy to drink overall, which is surprising given the complete flavor overload. Smooth and creamy to boot.

Overall: As with all IPAs of this caliber, fresh is essential. The difference between 2 weeks and a month is crazy. The beer drinks well for weeks, but quickly loses an impact after the 3 week mark. This truly is an epic-level IPA and I wish I could drink it all the time. Nice balance prevents it from becoming too much at any point.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the best IPA'S readily available in kc. Pours a nice burnt orange. Smell is flowery and hoppy. Taste is very citrisy and hop forward, but very smooth and balanced. This one is a staple IPA. There are many great IPA's out there and this holds its own.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Light tangerine color with about two fingers of fluffy pillowy white head. Leaves excellent lacing.

S - Big hop nose! Huge grapefruit, lots of nice citrusy scents, some tropical fruits, slight bit of pine.

T - Very similar to the nose. Starts off with a sweet tropical citrusy taste followed by sweet caramel malt. Nice piney finish and not too bitter, just enough to clean things up.

M - Very smooth medium body. Extremely drinkable. Could easily session this.

O - This is probably my favorite IPA. It fits exactly what I think an IPA should be. This is my go to IPA.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

I can't find this in Minnesota and pick some up every time I'm back in South Dakota.

A: This beer pours a light orange to yellow color. A soft, rocky white head sits on top. A beautiful lace follows down the sides as I enjoy.

S: The aromas in this beer are fabulous. Hops, hops, and more hops. First I get a nice piney aroma. This is followed by a bevy of citrus fruits. It finishes with a faint malt sweetness.

T: Homerun! The hops in this beer are perfectly showcased. First I get the subtle sweetness of the malts. This is followed by a rush of citrus fruits. Tangerines and grapefruits are obvious. This leads you into a solid bitterness that rounds out the drink and leaves you wanting more. Based on its appearance you would think the malts were going to be too few, but they really balance this beer out nicely.

M: The beer is a little bit lighter in mouthfeel on the spectrum of IPAs. It goes in crisp and has a dry finish. The carbonation is pretty adequate for this style. It would be perfect if the mouthfeel was a little heavier.

D: One of the best IPAs I've had. A perfect example of balancing malts and hops. The solid hop aromas make this beer that much more appetizing. I wish I could have at least 6 in my fridge all the time. A definite must try for any hop lover.

12 oz bottle

pours a coppery orange, with a very big, very creamy off-white head. Lacing? - huge clumps of extremely creamy sticky foam coat the inside of my glass. If a little whiter, I'd say some marshmallow cream blew up inside the glass. Interesting.

Nose is full of grapefruit, other citrus and pine...but a surprising amount of pale malt is present. I can still smell the malts above anything now that the glass is (temporarily) empty. Freaking awesome.

Taste....No, let's talk about mouthfeel first. This has startlingly low carbonation. I've gone through most of a sixer, and it seems to be the same for each bottle. I've been on a hop kick the last week, enjoying AleSmith, Stone, SN Celebration, O'Fallon, Two Hearted, 60 Minute, and numerous other IPAs...and this is by far the lowest carbonation I experienced. In fact, it is reminiscent of certain hoppy beers I've enjoyed on cask: big creamy head, very low carbonation, full fresh expressive flavors. I won't downgrade this because it doesn't match what I've come to expect, but it remains different. (If someone thinks I got a "bad" sample of unusually low carbonation, by all means beermail me.)

I call the wife over to taste it. "Taste what?" she says. "There's nothing left in the glass!" Again? Where'd it go?!?
Yes, I can't decide how much I love this, but have gone through 3 bottles in the last few hours while trying to decide! I have to admit it is pretty delicious. Whereas the citrus in the aroma is noticeably grapefruit, the taste reminds me more of orange juice. Quite sweet, with a pleasant and relatively light bitterness.

Carbonate this 7% sucker a bit more, and slow me down! As I sit here opening another, it would be criminal to rate this below a "5" for drinkability...so I won't.

1/23/08 re-rate. Eerily similar experience, but with more pronounced bitterness covering up the sweet flavor - gonna bump up the flavor score a half point.
5/15/10 re-rate. Flavor and body aren't quite what they were, but it is one of the best smelling beers I've ever stuck my nose into.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

thanks to cosmohophead for this extra

pours a clear gold with a 2 finger head that coats the glass with lacing

smells of tangy grapefruit and tropical hops

taste just like the smell but i pick up some pine hops first along with citris grapefruit and tropical hops. this beer reminds me alot of founders double trouble meets a lighter avery maharaja.

mouthfeel - not as crisp and light as double trouble - this beer coats your mouth and the aftertaste of fruit hops linger

drinkabilty is very good but watch yourself it is 7%abv

overall another great beer from odell and an IPA do be tried by all - better then sculpin imo.

4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Light golden copper with creamy off-white head

Smell: Lots of pine with a hint of citrus

Taste: A nice blending of pine and citrus hops. Crisp and smooth with a lingering after bite of hoppy sweetness

Mouthfeel: Very smooth with good carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable

Overall: An outstanding example of an American IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Golden orange color with a slight haze. Nice thin head that remained throughout

S - Floral hop aroma with strong notes of citrus, especially grapefruit

T - An excellent citrus flavor that is never superseded by the hops. This is a flavorful IPA that is slightly sweet with a taste of grapefruit and a healthy hop backbone.

M - A medium-body beer with good carbonation and an oily feel that finishes cleanly.

D - A great IPA with excellent aftertaste.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Holy shit... I really wasn`t expecting this. What an amazing beer. Light straw in colour, off-white head with great retention, super piney hop smell and taste, mild citrus aroma, extreme dryness. This beer has it ALL. It rivals Stone IPA if you ask me. I`m going straight back to the store for more of this while I still can.

AMAZING!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As expected, draught is better/more consistent than bottles. That said, bottled Odell IPA is better than most draughts.

appearance - a beautiful, golden color with a hint of cloudiness. Nice head, which is sustained.

smell - fruity, hoppy, unlike most IPAs. Very inviting.

taste - An incredible palette. Orange, spice, herb, citrus, hops without the bitter bite. There is a progression of flavors all the way through the finish. Unlike any other beer I have had.

mouthfeel - great body and solid carbonation.

drinkability - I cannot get enough. Smooth, highly flavorful, and easy to drink. Hopheads may be confused by this beer, since it has accomplished a truly unique experience. Most IPAs taste similar with overpowering bitter finish that is an acquired taste. Odell comes from a completely different angle that never disappoints. People who prefer mild beers may find it too much.

Absolutely one of my favorites. Odell is a first-rate microbrewer.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours light amber/honey color with thick foamy head. It most dissipates but still remains through drinking with excellent lacing on the side of the glass. Strong, citrus, piney, hoppy aroma. Citrus, malty taste up front with great piney hops on the back end. Leaves just right amount of bitter aftertaste. The malts and hops compliment each other very well.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great IPA that really hits on everything you would look for in an IPA.

A: It leaves some nice legs on the glass and pours with a slight head. The color is nice and light straw color leaving a tease of what is to come.

S: citrus and very slight malt with some hints of other greatness that my nose cannot define. However, when it is right it just right.

T: Refreshing is the first thought that comes to mind but the actual flavors presented are that of hops (duh), citrus, lemon peel and pine.

M: Some brewery IPA's are pushing the envelope on flavor at the sacrifice of overall mouthfeel; this keeps it fresh and medium bodied.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like almost everything else from Odells, this is very good. Very tasty and very well-balanced. Naturally, as an IPA, hops are prevalent but not an overtly or obnoxiously aggressive manner. The piney, floral aroma is nice and subdued. The hop bitterness is well-balanced by the malts and the complexity of the flavors mask the strong alcohol content. Easy to drink despite high ABV.

4.69/5  rDev +9.6%

Just out of the fridge, poured from a 12oz bottle with date 092909 and raised leaves around the neck and a guy riding a bucking elephant redeo style on the label. Thanks to bonsreeb85 for this goody.

Pours a bright clear goldenrod/orange. Nice bubbly head leaving spotty lacing as it dissipates.

Aroma is strong! I'm smelling peach and pineapple, pine, grapefruit, orange, so much juicy fruit and hops. I already know its gonna be so delicious.

Taste is so well balance. Hop blast up front with a great citrus flavor. Immediately balanced with malty sweetness for a great drinking experience. It has a sweet bread like flavor and feel to it.

Very oily hop texture. Medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. So good. Drinkability is great for this 7% beast and the IPA lover. Cheers!

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Spot on appearance. Cloudy light amber. Lovely white head and lacings like chalk marks all the way down.

Nice rounded citrus aroma with a proper caramel malt backbone.

There's no flavour that really stand out, and I mean that in the best way. Everything is combined perfectly to create an incredibly balanced AIPA. A sort of citrus sweetness up front, quickly gives way to some resinous pine, and it's all backed up by quality caramel malt. Just a touch of alcohol in the finish, hence just short of exceptional for me. Soft bitterness lingers long after the finish.

The perfect balance of this beer makes it more drinkable than most AIPAs (or DIPAs). Top notch beer.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

A- Pours an clear amber. Two fingers of cream color head. Holy sticky lace, gorgeous.

S- Hops hit first, and citrus. Obvious malty character.

T- Hops are first, but not over powering. Grapefruit and orange. Some sweet malt finish.

M- Medium in body with perfect creamy carbonation.

D- Incredible, absolutely incredible. I can instantly chalk this up as one of the very best IPAs I have ever had. I have met many beer geeks that are not happy with a beer until all they can taste is hops. This is so amazingly balanced with the malt to hop ratio, I would put it up there with my top favorites of any style. Great job. Gold star for Odell.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have been drinking this IPA for a couple of years. I would forget about it ,drink a few great beers from California, then come back for another 6 pack. Man what a great beer. What balance ,aroma, those floral oils spilling in my mouth. The subtle tropics splashing in the wash between tongue and cheek. The bitters are as quiet as a child's kiss. This beer has it all ,the finish as satisfying as whipped cream on pineapple pie. Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer currently..that said I've only tried maybe 20 or 30 IPAs. This is the one that stands out above the rest in my mind. I can only imagine what the Odell Double IPA is like..If you haven't tried this guy yet, do yourself a favor and get six! I wish I could pick these up around where I live..the pattern would be- Odell IPA, try a new one, Odell IPA, try a new one...

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company