2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,689 | Reviews: 573 | Show All Ratings:
CHickman

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy yellow gold color with a big 2 finger foamy white head that faded very slowly and left great lacing coating the sides, leaving rings as it went down. More impressive than the head was the aroma that jumped out after popping the cap off – it smelled like fresh pineapple, mango and orange in a bowl, and was very hoppy.

Smells of big citrus hops up front, with pineapple, grapefruit, orange peel, mango, lemon, clementine, floral hops, flowers, sweet malt, caramel, brown sugar, candy like Sweet Tarts, light bread, grains and some light spices; wow, this smells like a glass of hop oil and is so fruity that it’s like a citrus grove – an excellent IPA nose, outstanding even.

Tastes as great as it smells, with citrus hops, pineapple, grapefruit, orange peel, mango, lemon, guava, clementine, floral hops, flowers, sweet malt, caramel, brown sugar, candy like Sweet Tarts, wet wheat bread, lightly toasted grains, spices like coriander, pepper and a hint of cinnamon, then some piney hops, more citrus fruity sweetness and a slightly bitter finish. Tastes like it was wet hopped and is extremely flavorful; this was totally worth shipping across the country.

Mouthfeel is creamy and slick, with mild carbonation that is on the crisp side, a medium body, and a slightly bitter finish that hides the ABV very well.

Overall it was excellent, and it’s a shame that I only had one to drink. Extremely high drinkability, this is a definite recommendation and wonderful representation of this style. Well done Odell.

02-19-2012 04:27:47 | More by CHickman
jsulko

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a tulip glass

Bottle purchased on Father's Day excursion in Wichita KS.

Golden color slightly cloudy with a decent white head.

Smell is very citrusy with a hint of sweetness in the background.

Taste is very grapefruity with a citrus bite on the finish. Very smooth easy drinking IPA.

A great IPA. Third different IPA/PA that I had from Odell and all were excellent.

07-02-2012 03:13:09 | More by jsulko
kyleelton

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Great looking head that sticks around in a thin layer as you drink. Pretty yellow in color for an IPA, but that could be the light in here.

Smells awesome. Citrusy and bready and that wonderful smell you only get from standing around the brew kettle. The taste is extremely balanced. Hops don't overpower but are just right. Lighter and more drinkable than I would have thought for 7%abv.

12-09-2012 00:17:19 | More by kyleelton
jamiecoppin

North Dakota

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance - Beautiful pale orange color with that poured to a one inch head.

Smell - ermagerd!! Beautiful tropical and citrus notes leap from the glass. I seriously could smell this beer all night long. Amazing!

Taste - malty sweetness upfront gives way to an assault of citrus flavor with a tingle of dry bitterness at the end. Unbelievable flavor that lingers well after the beer is swallowed.

Mouthfeel - thick enough without being to cloying or sticky. Perhaps even a creaminess to it.

Overall- One of the best IPAs in the world. Outrageous aromatics with the flavor to match.

06-08-2013 03:31:46 | More by jamiecoppin
CFHMagnet

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle is dated 9/18/13B.
The pour reveals an orangey/copper beer with a finger of off-white head. Lacing clings but slowly tumbles down the glass. A steady stream of bubbles is noted rising to the top.

I get lots of grapefruit and citrus up front. Caramel has a note in there, then it's back to the citrus with a hint of pine for good measure.

The hops are amazing in this guy. There is a little malt sweetness on the tip of your tongue, then this beer plunges you into a world of hops. I get oranges and flowers after the initial sweetness, then grapefruit with a bit of pine on the end.

The mouthfeel on this is so smooth yet it isn't creamy. It coats most of the tongue, and has a dry finish but it is refreshing at the same time.

06-14-2013 16:04:13 | More by CFHMagnet
THE-DUDE

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This IPA smells and tastes awesome! First smell is floral and grapefruity with a hint of pine. Tastes crisp and hoppy...a bit dry. Now I smell the malt and some earthy tones. As it warms it becomes more bitter. Excellent IPA, very drinkable, one of my favorites.

01-30-2014 03:28:31 | More by THE-DUDE
blank_set

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Simply put, this is the best IPA I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. Big hoppy taste with just enough malt to mask the significant 7.0% ABV. If there is a knock here (and it is a stretch to say there is) it would be with the appearance when poured into a clear pint glass. Color is a light rust with a slight cloudy haze. That being said, do you drink beer because of it's appearance? Heck, no. This is a truly magnificent beer from a brewery that I have yet to have a bad beer from. Odell Brewery is quickly becoming, for me, the premiere craft brewer in the country.

03-28-2014 15:11:54 | More by blank_set
ArrogantB

4.58/5  rDev +7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Color was orange with a white head. The smell was danky, resinous, and slightly pine. The smell is seriously hoppy. The taste was identical to the smell. Straight hop oils. Not much citrus, mostly dank. I was really surprised by this. this might be my new favorite from Colorado.

03-16-2007 16:39:51 | More by ArrogantB
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.58/5  rDev +7%

This is my latest staple beer. I tried it on recommendation from a friend who moved to Ft. Collins recently from the Chicago area. As a former Alpha King and Gumballhead slave, I took his word that this one was definitely worth trying, and now that I can not get either of the aforementioned beers in my area, I was inclined to try it for my hop fix in place of my usual Titan IPA (Three Floyds may be out of the question for me now, but since moving to the Omaha area, my selection of hoppy beers has definitely improved). Anyway... I was very pleasantly surprised by this. Every other Odell beer I have had was simply good, but not outstanding, which is why I may have been a little apprehensive in picking this up. I am very glad I did, however.

The beer pours to a light golden color with excellent clarity. It has a steady stream of carbonation that feeds a very nice head, which stands at a healthy inch and maintains itself very well. The head never once fell to a thin film. Lacing is quite good as well.

The smell is very good, but not quite as potent as the flavor. The hops are not surprisingly the highlight of this IPA, providing a rich floral and citric bouquet. Underlying the hops is a fairly clean pale malt profile. Not much in the way of caramel malts or other specialty malt, but that is really not a big problem when I have a sickness and the only cure is more hops.

The taste is where this beer really shines. If hops were a fruit, this is the juice you would be left with if you ran them through a food processor. Tastes like Amarillo or Simcoe. Mostly citric and floral. Just the right amount of bitterness and balancing malt character. Not completely one dimensional, but by that same token, it is not lame either.

The body is medium with a nice crackling carbonation to help bring out the bitterness. Only a slight alcohol flavor prevents this from getting a perfect 5 in the drinkability category. Otherwise, well played, Odell. I'll be hearing from you again shortly.

01-26-2008 05:59:02 | More by neonbrown82
bearcamp

Kansas

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Wow! Wow! Wow! A really great drinkable IPA.

Appearance. Is a slight orange brownish color. Some caramel malts in there to darken just the slightest.

Smell is very hoppy. For a hop head like me. It isn't to overpowering but you can smell the aroma. I want to say fruggle hops are the flavoring hops but I could be wrong. Still trying to differentiate each hop characteristic.

Taste is awesome! A great balance between hops and grains. Wow! This may be my number 1 beer now.

Mouth feel: The beer has a bit of aftertaste but not much bitterness to it. You can taste the floral aspects of the yeast and/or hops.

Drink ability: I can drink this down. Very session able for me. You don't notice the slightly higher 7.0 alcohol content at all.

I recently found out that this was the #1 @ both the GABF and World Beer Fest. Very good stuff. Keep it up Odell.

Any chance to double the recipe. A double IPA? Perhaps I'm asking for too much!

Really good beer.

08-30-2008 03:33:10 | More by bearcamp
nppeders

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Appearance - golden straw color, nice lacing, one finger egg white head

Smell- extremely dank nuggets...errr....piney hops, a bit of citrus. Frickin fantastic smelling and definitely one to be reconded with. The hops are stronger in the smell then almost any IPA I've ever had. Rivaling Surly Furious for sure.

Taste - Resiny hops in the front, citrus in the middle, and resiny hops in the finish with a lasting bitterness, but with some sweet malt mixed in in the end. The end of the sip is the first time you realize there are some malts in this beer.

Mouthfeel - nice and thick...true West coast IPA with a thick mouthfeel and crazy hops. Carbonation is a little low for my taste.

Overall- Wow...this is an American IPA to the max. The hops are dominated by resin, citrus, definitely some pineapple in the flavor and aroma, floral/herbal notes in the flavor, and just an amazing hop profile. It surely is dominated by Simcoe or Chinook hops, but definitely some complementing varieties in there. Drinking this beer is like chewing on dank hops and I love it!

06-20-2011 00:51:21 | More by nppeders
PaleAlien2

Nebraska

look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden with a tinge of orange. Minimal white head.

Probably the best IPA I've ever smelled. Intense Floral hops, citrus and pine needles.

Well balanced. Hops are prevelant but not bitter. Really remarkable in its smoothness.

Great mouthfeel too. Chunky and full. To nitpick, I'd like to a see a little more carbonation.

Great beer. Probably my new favorite IPA.

04-06-2009 01:58:10 | More by PaleAlien2
Ricelikesbeer

look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very nicely and with a good, sustained head with sticky lacing. Pure orangeish gold in color. Smells amazing, one of the best hop smells of any beer out there. Very Piney and fresh smelling with plenty of floral notes. Not exactly sure which hops they used, but you can tell Odell has good control over their hops. Taste is somewhat biscuity, with a sweet hop freshness. Again, more floral taste here. A little citrus, and it finishes only slightly bitter with a lingering hop aftertaste. Definately know you are drinking an IPA, but it isn't overwhelming. Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, and it goes down smooth without excessive bite. I'm not a huge hophead, but this is one of my favorate IPAs, and one that everyone should try. Definately Odell's best brew in my opinion.

04-07-2009 04:32:47 | More by Ricelikesbeer
bennetj17

Arizona

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Color is on the lighter side for the style, with a deep gold hue. Perfect white foam head, holds decently. Spiced pine nose with a grapefruit/ citrus backbone. Seems like my kind of IPA as the malt sweetness smells not very strong.

Very orange-like citrus flavor. Not sweet. The mouthfeel is not syrupy and is quite light, setting up for a refreshing taste. The piney spice carries through nicely also, and I realize this is probably the closest thing to a Blind Pig I have tasted. The finish is remarkable in that I finally get a touch of toasty malt with some light dryness, well done.

This beer topped my expectations. It actually tastes like it was made in California, and that doesn't happen too often. Very similar to Pure Hoppiness or Blind Pig. If you like your IPA's more hopped and less sweet, this will do you right...

08-29-2009 05:31:48 | More by bennetj17
hardy008

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Golden color with a one finger bright white head with good retention and it leaves beautiful lacing all the way down the glass.. Smells of grapefruit, oranges, pineapple, mango, and pine. Very nice.

The taste is just like the aroma. Sweetness and bitterness combine beautifully. There is also a light amount of hop oil flavor. I usually taste this type of flavor more in a DIPA than an IPA. Very impressive.

Medium bodied, nice carbonation, and a real treat to drink. Finishes somewhat dry with a sweet aftertaste. I will definitely buy this one again.

06-06-2010 20:01:28 | More by hardy008
bobhits

Kentucky

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy orange body, bold tall white head, marginal carbonation.

Straight grapefruit attack to the nose balanced on caramel malt. Perfume quality nose here.

Mouth and flavor seem to go together so I’ll mention them together. Highly drinkable, very enjoyable grapefruit infused IPA. Not much carbonation in the mouth, but a decent hop bite. Just a very very solid ipa.

I really wish I had access to this regularly. It’s extremely drinkable, hits the hop/malt balance perfectly, and while perhaps not the most bold and flavorful of the style this one is just darn good.

05-28-2011 17:52:22 | More by bobhits
intensify

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

poured a creamy white head which left plenty of lacing on the rim. Man was the retention nice and unexpected. After the head had settled a bit I gave it a nice swirl and to my suprise the first pours little brother showed up. On the nose I picked up hops after hops, followed by grapefruit, tangerines and plenty of pine. The passion fruit aroma was plesent and inviting. Taste is right on with the smell. Plenty of hops for you hop heads and a nice amount of fruit such as grapefruit, tangerine, maybe a hint of mango and peach.
Overall this IPA was a very sessionable brew. After each drink it had the right amount of bitterness and sweetness to make you want to go back for more. I don't see one reason why I should not have a couple of these in my fridge at all times. Once again, O'Dell Brewing does what plenty are trying to do.

02-26-2012 06:35:22 | More by intensify
KVNBGRY

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Simply one of, if not the best IPA's out there. It fires on all cylinders, every time. This brew never fails to impress. An absolute must try. Doug O'dell can retire (die?) happy knowing he's the worlds leader in American Style IPAs. I just wish it was distributed to Florida!

08-01-2012 03:27:18 | More by KVNBGRY
BradLikesBrew

"122707"

a: Golden orange, slightly cloudy, head dissipates quickly, but some lacing remains.

s: The aroma of fresh grapefruit has never been more present in a beer I have consumed. The hops give off floral and pine scents as well, but to a much lesser extent.

t: Oily hops, then slightly sweet malt, and then a grapefruity hop finish.

m: Sticky, appropriate carbonation, medium body.

d: Hard to believe its 7%, very drinkable, an IPA session beer, if its possible. I have been a fan of odell since I first tried 90 schilling and cutthroat porter, so when I first saw this in the store, I figured it would be good and paid $9.99 for the 6 without much debate. But, it blew me away, I think this is the best beer Odell makes and it is one of my favorite American IPAs. Highly hoppy, yet not too bitter, excellent aroma, a great brew.

11-06-2007 00:45:04 | More by BradLikesBrew
brentk56

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a whipped egg white head that just won't quit; lacing galore

Smell: Lots of citrusy hops; pink grapefruit juice

Taste: The hops are front and center, with grapefruit at the outset; there is some malty sweetness that develops to balance but this is all about the grapefruit

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate, but prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Right up there with the folks from San Diego; outstanding; very citrusy, but not overly bitter

03-13-2009 00:48:13 | More by brentk56
GruvisHops

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

A: 12 oz. brown bottle with a fantastic label. Deep golden body; slightly red in the center and pretty hazy. 3/4" cream colored head that leaves light lace stickage.

S: Infectious grapefruit and pine throughout, especially pine! Dare I say, Pliny the Elder-esque?!

T: Great Hop Flavor... Pine Resin! Pronounced orange peel character. A hop head's wet dream.

M: Medium-Full. The sappy hops reach every corner of the mouth.

D: Wonderful IPA... gone in a flash.

Notes: Like I said before, a lot of qualities that remind me of Pliny the Elder. I know my experience w/both is minimal, but I have to say I much prefer Odell to the more famous New Belgium as far as Ft. Collins breweries are concerned.

03-31-2009 23:56:55 | More by GruvisHops
smanders

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance - Golden with a thin head.

Smell - Big citrus (grapefruit) notes with sweetness lingering in the background.

Taste - Amazing balance of bitter citrus with sweet malt.

Mouthfeel - perfect

Drinkability - This is a great APA! Having never heard of the brewery before, I was extremely pleased with the purchase of a 6'er of Odell's IPA. If you enjoy mucho amounts of hops in your Pale Ales, Odell's is a must try. Great example of the style.

05-02-2009 23:55:55 | More by smanders
badbassrandy

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Bright medium-golden hue; clear; cumulus off-white head leaves sticky, thick lacing

S - Absolutely wonderful nose; like a sea breeze of refreshing, light, fruity, juicy, citrus hop scent; the smell erupts from the head and zings the nostrils

T - Gorgeous smell continues onto the palate: fresh, juicy rush of citrus/fruity hops and bright bitterness; delicious hop bouquet on the lighter, brighter and robust citrus side; super fresh and borderline hop bomb taste; slightly sweet undercurrent provides great balance; beautiful, though muted, malt tones; alcohol is never present

M - Slightly cloying hop bitterness last on the tongue, though dry; carbonation is noticeable and aids the hops' mission on the tongue; nice medium body that is filtered just right

D - The big, compelling, inviting hop flavor never gets too bitter or off-putting, making this one of the more drinkable IPAs I've ever tasted -- fresh from the brewery to the growler down my gullet. YUM ;)

Serving type: growler

08-21-2009 05:31:21 | More by badbassrandy
magictrokini

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

I've got to say, this was the best beer of the weekend. $12 a six-pack, but worth it. Poured clear copper-orange with a squatty whtie head. Okay retention, but thick lacing. Ripe, pink grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, and peach. Very perfumey, but fresh. Velvety mouthfeel with good carbonation. Crisp, yet lingering finish. The taste was exceptional. Clean, fresh hop character, even though this is not a "fresh hop" IPA. Lots of grapefruit and tangerine, with mango and even a little strawberry/kiwi. Small doses of pepper and resin. Pleasant malt backbone gives it a little biscuit to balance it out without making it sticky sweet. As for drinkability, having one just made you want more. An outstanding IPA.

09-01-2009 18:29:46 | More by magictrokini
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to afdempse for hooking me up with one of my favorite IPAs.

A: Golden yellow, clear, very effervescent. There is a nice fluffy head that leaves huge amounts of lacing caked throughout the glass.

S: Floral, citrus, fresh garden.

T: Now this is what a "balanced" IPA is supposed to taste like. Grapefruit and citrus flavors perched atop a substantial malt bill. This beer is fantastic!

M: ABV hidden well. Bitter, dry finish.

D: An awesome beer. I wish I could get it here. I would drink this on a regular basis.

04-08-2010 21:48:29 | More by Huhzubendah