Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,580 | Reviews: 676
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Perfect balance. Quite nice.

oG approved.

A truly excellent IPA. Great balance.

4.58/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2/18/15 date on bottle, that means bottled on 10/18/14.

A: Clear light copper body. The retention is just ridiculous. Never leaves. The Audrey Hepburn of IPAs. Gorgeous.

S: Huge notes of citrus and pine. Not in your face, but nice.

T: I've had this beer hundreds of times, in bottle and on tap. It never disappoints. Incredible flavor from the hops, without much bitterness at all. This is a beer that will satisfy hopheads but still lure beginners into liking IPAs. If you look up American India Pale Ale in the dictionary, there should be a bottle of Odell IPA right fucking there.

M: God damn. Creamy. Perfect amount of carbonation. This thing is a pleasure to drink.

O: One of my favorite beers in the world, so glad I can get it fresh whenever I want and for prices as low as $8.49/sixer. You can't beat that.

A well balance IPA, not bitter at all with a distinct citrus sweet flavor. Smooth and delicious, one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

3.94/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a bright, caramel-copper coloring with a clingy, fluffy, dense, off-white head. Nose of pine pitch, subtle hops bitterness, subtle citrus notes, and toasted highlights. Flavors are citrus forward, with grapefruit and tangerine, followed by a resinous and bitter blend, all on a tangy, caramel backbone. Smooth, light bodied, with a frothy, effervesced, dry finish. The aftertaste is tangy citrus and pine pitch. Smooth, balanced, and incredibly drinkable.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Resiny hops, pine, fresh cut grass, mango, and grapefruit pith accompany lightly sweet honey-like malt character. Flavor reveals muted citrus, which underlies lightly bready, biscuity malt, finishing resiny and moderately bitter. Notes of papaya and mango add complexity. A bit bitter and grassy, earthy for my liking, but like the hop flavoring profile.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

This is my go to IPA, I always know what I'm getting with this beer.I think one of the more balanced IPA's out there. The lacing is perfect and color is spot on. Very citrus
with hints of pine resin a touch of floral make this such a fine beer. I really enjoy the hop finish,
very juicy too.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

World class all the way. Outstanding aroma never disappoints and everything just works. The most constantly clean IPA I have had.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

draft is only way to go for me! Excellent, balanced IPA

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Delicious, citrus and pine! Everything you want in a hopped up IPA!

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Very nice after taste smooth

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A – I like the dull orange color of the beer...foam on the head disappeared after a few minutes
S – The first smell is the hops...a bright citrusy aroma...can’t really smell the malts behind it but that’s fine for this beer.
T – the hop flavor doesn’t knock you over, very smooth and lingers with you in a good way...no shuddery aftertaste. Slight sweetness of the malts show up long afterwards...if you can wait long enough between sips.
M – velvety smooth with small bubbles
O – This is a great balanced beer with nice citrusy flavors and a great overall taste

I'm not an IPA fan necessarily, but this one wasn't overwhelming at all. I actually think Odell Brewing's 5 Barrel Pale Ale is very similar, and if given a lineup of IPAs, I'd reach for this one over most others. It's a bit higher alcohol than most, but still very drinkable, and they balanced it enough to where you don't get hit over the head with hoppiness. Works for me.

Waited a while to get my hands on this lovely IPA. Got from an off licence in Naas Co.Kildare Ireland. Nice golden pour but there is only one aspect of real interest to me. Taste, taste, taste. taste. Well balanced, easy to drink, a truly remarkable IPA that lives up to it's reputation!

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

The beer poured a deep gold with a slight haze and a nice white head that left substantial lacing. The aroma was of citrus and tropical fruits with a bit of dank oily hops as well. The taste followed suit with a huge mouth full of citrus and tropical fruit hops that faded into a slight pine bitterness that traced its way into my jaws. It was not overpoweringly bitter but more of a flavorful hop bitterness that was reminiscent of many double IPAs. A very well done single IPA that left my palate coated with a pleasant hoppy bitterness. The Odell IPA was a top tier IPA and a welcome addition to our growing Texas selection.

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Pours a golden orange with a two-finger foamy white head. Heavy amount of sticky lacing.

S - Aromas of orange, grapefruit, and piney hops.

T - Lots of bright citrus appears right upfront. The citrus is complemented by sweet malts and floral piney hops in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very crisp with a dry mouthfeel.

O - This is an excellent IPA. The flavors are very well balanced. Extremely drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I've had this plenty of times, but finally time to write up a little something about it. The pour is from a bottle that says "9/2/14C." Sooo... yeah, still good. Poured into a pint glass.

This beer has a deep burnt orange look, with (while relatively clear) some haze. Nice amount of carbonation; like a beer lava lamp. Could watch it for hours... man... Anyways, nice 1/2 inch head that is tight with micro foam. Love it. Left a lot, and I mean lot of lacing down the side of the glass over the progression of imbibing. Smell wise, it's very grapefruity, slightly tropical, a bit like pine needles freshly broken. A lot to try to decipher.

Mmmm... tasty. Tastes like it smells, which is remarkable. Very light tropical fruitiness that is cascaded over and over again by grapefruit flavor. Wish I could pick up more, but maybe that's all I'm able to get. As soon as it hit my tongue, it sparkles from the carbonation and gives off... damn. I keep try to place my finger on the other taste but can't fathom what it is. Lemon? Tangerine? Blood orange, I s'pose. It quickly leaves my mouth with a resin of pine and citrus to let me know it has marked its territory. Heavy enough to make me suck on my tongue, but not so heavy that it's annoying.

This is a a well crafted IPA. A good beginner's choice of trying what a real IPA truly is. I would easily pick this up again. Santé!

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

This is an IPA that really stands out, while also perfectly representing it's style. It's not overly sweet, fruity, or bitter. Full of citrus flavors like orange peel and lemons, with complimentary floral and herbal notes , complimented by malt sweetness. If i had general access to this beer it would surely be a consistent repurchase.

This beer is awesome, as I recall. I was in South Dakota about a month ago and it was recommended to me. Bought a 6 pack and enjoyed it over a 2 day period. Really well crafted brew, wish it was available here in Maryland. Great IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a nice golden amber color. Small head.

Smell is of piney hops, and slight citrus.

Taste is a battle between nice floral, resiny hops and bright, crisp, grapefruit citrus hops. Resin/piney hops wins out to mellow into a nice creamy finish with a slightly lingering hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is rich for an IPA. Good balance between crisp and a slight creaminess.

Love this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

A- Pours a straw gold, and is quite transparent. Thick, creamy head that lingers, and leaves multiple rings as it recedes.
S- Bright citrus burst on the nose,along with Columbus hops, pretty damn dank.
T- The bright citrus that was on the nose is apparent in the taste, along with sweet malts on the back end.
O- I enjoyed this beer, and would revisit it if Odell distributed to NY.

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Good IPA. A lot lighter in color than I expected. It has a lingering after taste, but nothing a beer drinker can't handle. Overall I was satisfied and had a few of them. A little pricey but well worth the money. I'm sure ill be having more of these in the future.

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

12oz Brown bottle with a best by date of 09/02/2014, poured into an Odell Snifter

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden amber with a 1/2 finger of head that recedes into a thin ring and shows a beautiful lace down my glass

Smell: Citrusy hops, very grapefruit-like

Taste: Bright and citrus hops; bitterness up front which develops in a citrus hop note and rounds out in flavor with a nice mix of hop and malt in the finish

Mouthfeel: This just feels like how id imagine hop juice to be if such a thing existed ; very full-flavored

Overall: This beer really shows off the bright, juicy hop notes of Odell's beers. Their hop profiles help to really stand out and define themselves as brand in a market that is over saturated with IPAs. There is plenty of hop flavor and bitterness up front but the finish rounds everything out with a bit of the malt backbone showing through.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:
Pale amber color, touch of haze. Lots of small bubbles rising up. Thick rocky head.

Aroma:
Citrus, piney, resiny, some sweet malts, very crisp.

Taste/Finish/Body:
Citrus, bitter orange, piney, resin, herbal hops. Sweet bready malt that balance it very well. Finish is bitter, very crisp, a little dry. Body is medium, very crisp and refreshing, a little oily, semi dry, very smooth.

Overall:
It's an outstanding IPA. 7% ABV is well hidden, highly drinkable.

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass.

Appearance: Perfect IPA look with a finger of head. My god, this is the best possible start for an IPA in color, appearance, and head.

Smell: Nearly perfect in smell. Very hoppy with citrus shining through but there is a slight hint of iron that detracts from the scent. As I said though, nearly perfect.

Taste: الحمد لله (thank God) sorry for my Arabic but this beer pushes the envelope for what an IPA is supposed to taste like and is everything that one should hope for and expect. Upon tasting there is the bitterness that one hopes and dreams of but it is quickly replaced by sweetness, citrus, and an almost rye taste. Be advised, this beer is going to knock your socks off if you enjoy IPAs, especially on hot, sultry days.

Mouthfeel: What? This beer is perfect and can finish any dish, especially spicy food. It's tasty, refreshing, and smooth.

Overall: Overall? This is my favorite beer and is what all other beers should be striving for in terms of IPAs. It is perfect in color, carbonation, and foam throughout. It it nearly immaculate throughout the hoppy smell mixed with citrus with fruit. The taste is unbelievable because I have taste nothing quite similar before or since. (I tried this next to Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Ballfast Point Sculpin IPA just to be sure) I cannot believe the ingenuousness they put into this beer. Odell thank you!

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company