Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odell IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 666 | Hads: 2,702
4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

On-tap at Crescent Ballroom in downtown Phoenix during the Deer Tick show on May 3rd.

A: Orange-amber with a good, white head. No lace or retention.

S: Heavy American hops. Dry, piney, citrus.

T: Again, huge American hops. Bitter, dry, sweet, and refreshing. Great IPA to drink at any time.

M: Super smooth and delicious. Minimal carbonation.

O: Fantastic, consistent IPA. (377 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

This one pours from 12oz bottle(best by 091907) a slightly hazy orange gold with a good sized head of foam that sticks around for the entire session as a solid layer with a ton of nice lacing.

The smell is....hoppy! I'm getting lots of pine...lots of pine!

The taste on first sip..is all kinds of hoppy. Big pine, big hop oil, some lemon zest, and there's even some caramel malt in the background to take just a touch off the bitterness but not too much.. Nice.

Further sips in and the hops just continue to dominate, as they should, though I'd have to say, the bitterness that they're imparting on my palate is tasty as hell and just makes me want to take another sip, and another, and another....and even though it's at a "healthy" 7%abv, no ways near being what one could call a sessionable ale, I think it's a heck of a good drinker. I take my(BA) hat off to Odell for this one.

Bottom line: A very good IPA from Odell that certainly won't disappoint when it comes to flavour. I recommend it! (1,000 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

I've had this plenty of times, but finally time to write up a little something about it. The pour is from a bottle that says "9/2/14C." Sooo... yeah, still good. Poured into a pint glass.

This beer has a deep burnt orange look, with (while relatively clear) some haze. Nice amount of carbonation; like a beer lava lamp. Could watch it for hours... man... Anyways, nice 1/2 inch head that is tight with micro foam. Love it. Left a lot, and I mean lot of lacing down the side of the glass over the progression of imbibing. Smell wise, it's very grapefruity, slightly tropical, a bit like pine needles freshly broken. A lot to try to decipher.

Mmmm... tasty. Tastes like it smells, which is remarkable. Very light tropical fruitiness that is cascaded over and over again by grapefruit flavor. Wish I could pick up more, but maybe that's all I'm able to get. As soon as it hit my tongue, it sparkles from the carbonation and gives off... damn. I keep try to place my finger on the other taste but can't fathom what it is. Lemon? Tangerine? Blood orange, I s'pose. It quickly leaves my mouth with a resin of pine and citrus to let me know it has marked its territory. Heavy enough to make me suck on my tongue, but not so heavy that it's annoying.

This is a a well crafted IPA. A good beginner's choice of trying what a real IPA truly is. I would easily pick this up again. Santé! (1,379 characters)

Malty hoppy goodness.

Produces a head full of body that sits on top of a beautiful golden-orange ale. The head lingers throughout, but is there to encourage and entice you nearly the whole way.

Smells of citrus and grass. The caramel malts are the slightly noticed (yet hard working) background crew.

Taste follows aroma accordingly. A really wonderful balance of malts and hops. Strong bittering and flavor hops are appropriately complimented by a strong malt backbone - slightly sweet and full of body.

Perfectly carbonated. Has a medium body that consistently carries the abundant flavor across your tongue.

This is a great beer. Just remarkable. (654 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

A- Excellent orange/golden color, with a huge creamy white head about 3 fingers, settles nicely but staying around as a nice pillow on top. Beautiful layered lacing, cobwebbing down the glass.

S- Citrusy, clementine, mango notes on the nose, light sweetness.

T- Wow, such a clean balanced IPA, citrus notes again reflected, tangerine and tropical fruit notes (papaya, light pineapple), awesome biscuit toasty caramel malt, with a grapefruity earthy spiced hop finish, that leaves a nice clean bitterness.

M- Malty enough and almost creamy, good oily viscous resin notes from the hops, smooth texture from the malt, great balance, tingling crisp carbonation works perfectly to deliver all of the flavors.

D- At 7% this is an amazingly drinkable IPA, not overly bitter, fantastic balance, well hidden ABV, superb IPA, great depth of flavor! (843 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a nice straw color, pretty clear and not much head. Smells great! The smell, and the taste is very tropical/piney. I'd love to know the hop profile, because it's got a certain tropical note that I'm guessing is citra, but I'd love to know. A tad low on the carbonation scale, but feels nice in your mouth, tastes great... I'm really pleasantly surprised by this, which was included in a trade as an extra. Top notch IPA! (426 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Golden color with a one finger bright white head with good retention and it leaves beautiful lacing all the way down the glass.. Smells of grapefruit, oranges, pineapple, mango, and pine. Very nice.

The taste is just like the aroma. Sweetness and bitterness combine beautifully. There is also a light amount of hop oil flavor. I usually taste this type of flavor more in a DIPA than an IPA. Very impressive.

Medium bodied, nice carbonation, and a real treat to drink. Finishes somewhat dry with a sweet aftertaste. I will definitely buy this one again. (555 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

P= Great artwork on the bottle. Everything I like to read about IPA's ABV, drink date, etc. From the bottle into a nice pilsner glass.

A= Reddish orange color with a nice thick head, insane lacing.

S= At the nose hits hard with grassy hops. Definitely hop dominated, piney flow to it. Stood next to my Christmas tree and drank it...awesome!

T= A little low on the carbonation, more bitterness here than hop flavor, but I like getting my face twisted off.

O= New power session IPA, watch out at 7 %. I called my friend over at 9pm to come try it. His wife thought I was crazy.

I am loving this new style American IPA...brings the Hops to the fore front where they should be. Ft Collins, CO is brewing IPA right. Ranger was my go to IPA but someone just pushed it out of the way. (782 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by stillmatic2232.

Pours a dark orange, with a small, half inch head, with a little bit of lacing down the glass. Looks oily.

Smells like pine, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, and hop oils. No malt in the aroma.

Tastes great. Dank herbal hop flavor up front, a good amount of pine, that's washed away by sweet juicy fruity hop flavor near the end- a good amount of grapefruit, some orange rind. Lots of flowery perfumey hop flavors as well. Just a big swirling maelstrom of hop flavor here, all the great flavors I love in an IPA are all right here. Very little malt flavor noted.

Medium bodied, crisp, clean mouthfeel. Low carbonation.

This one's great, this one flies under the radar due to not being a special release. Utterly delicious. (758 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

I've got to say, this was the best beer of the weekend. $12 a six-pack, but worth it. Poured clear copper-orange with a squatty whtie head. Okay retention, but thick lacing. Ripe, pink grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, and peach. Very perfumey, but fresh. Velvety mouthfeel with good carbonation. Crisp, yet lingering finish. The taste was exceptional. Clean, fresh hop character, even though this is not a "fresh hop" IPA. Lots of grapefruit and tangerine, with mango and even a little strawberry/kiwi. Small doses of pepper and resin. Pleasant malt backbone gives it a little biscuit to balance it out without making it sticky sweet. As for drinkability, having one just made you want more. An outstanding IPA. (708 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Slight hazy, amber to gold color. Good size, lacy, ivory colored head with good retention.

S - love the smell - very citrusy.

T - Citrusy hop character as well, not too malty sweet. Hops dominate. Nice bitterness that endures after drinking.

M - smooth with moderate viscosity.

D - This beer goes down smooth, but after a couple of them you know you've drank some beer, both from the "fullness factor" and the 7% ABV will sneak up on you.

Overall this is one of my go to's for American IPA. (499 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Found a bottle at Four Firkins in Minneapolis. The best by date states it's good for another two-and-a-half months. Poured right from the bottle into my Lakefront pint glass.

L: Pours a bright golden straw with about an inch of eggshell head that falls after a bit but leaves nice lacing. Very clear, with moderate visible carbonation.

S: Beautiful bouquet on this one: some very assertive grapefruit, stone fruit, and grassy hop notes come through loud and clear. Just a touch of pine and herbal funk, as well. Fresh and inviting.

T: Luscious is a good word to describe this one: very fruit-forward hop profile, with great notes of grapefruit, stone fruit, and a bit of pineapple. The front has some cracker malt, but the fruity hop notes are there immediately, delivering tons of flavor with very little in the way of bitter. There are some bubblegum notes in the middle, as well. The close is strong on the grapefruit hop notes, but it delivers more tartness than bitterness. This one, overall, has much less bitterness than the nose suggested.

F: On the light side of medium-bodied, perfectly carbonated, and clean-finishing. It's got a creamy quality and--again--very little in the way of syrupy stick or bitterness.

O: This is a fantastic IPA--one of the best, if not the best, fruit-forward single IPAs I've had. This one probably won't please those hop heads who really want that bitter linger at the end of their IPAs, but it should suit everyone else just fine. I will definitely return to this one. (1,514 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Bright medium-golden hue; clear; cumulus off-white head leaves sticky, thick lacing

S - Absolutely wonderful nose; like a sea breeze of refreshing, light, fruity, juicy, citrus hop scent; the smell erupts from the head and zings the nostrils

T - Gorgeous smell continues onto the palate: fresh, juicy rush of citrus/fruity hops and bright bitterness; delicious hop bouquet on the lighter, brighter and robust citrus side; super fresh and borderline hop bomb taste; slightly sweet undercurrent provides great balance; beautiful, though muted, malt tones; alcohol is never present

M - Slightly cloying hop bitterness last on the tongue, though dry; carbonation is noticeable and aids the hops' mission on the tongue; nice medium body that is filtered just right

D - The big, compelling, inviting hop flavor never gets too bitter or off-putting, making this one of the more drinkable IPAs I've ever tasted -- fresh from the brewery to the growler down my gullet. YUM ;) (974 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a light, hazy orange with an off white head. The aroma is outstanding of tangel, grapefruit, light grain and just a bit of a pine note. It is makin me thirsty. The taste follows the aroma perfectly. Starts with the sweeter citrus then quickly moves to the grapefruit bitterness. This is amazingly smooth, almost creamy and begs you to take another sip. Very clean finish with just a little bitter bite after it is gone. A very good example of the style, one of the best. (476 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

A: 12 oz. brown bottle with a fantastic label. Deep golden body; slightly red in the center and pretty hazy. 3/4" cream colored head that leaves light lace stickage.

S: Infectious grapefruit and pine throughout, especially pine! Dare I say, Pliny the Elder-esque?!

T: Great Hop Flavor... Pine Resin! Pronounced orange peel character. A hop head's wet dream.

M: Medium-Full. The sappy hops reach every corner of the mouth.

D: Wonderful IPA... gone in a flash.

Notes: Like I said before, a lot of qualities that remind me of Pliny the Elder. I know my experience w/both is minimal, but I have to say I much prefer Odell to the more famous New Belgium as far as Ft. Collins breweries are concerned. (700 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this IPA. While not the most inventive or exciting, it essentially does no wrong as straight-up American IPA. Sessionable, bodied, sneaky abv, raw piney and juicy floral bursts, clean and dry brown-tinged golden grain textures, flashy and effective effervescence, lean and smoothly crisp tapering as each sip finishes—Odell really just hits all the marks with its IPA.

I first tried this three years ago at 77 Longbranch Saloon in Chadron, NE, and it was a revelation on simple, sublime execution; each time I'm able to snag a six, those initial impressions are confirmed anew. (589 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

This is my latest staple beer. I tried it on recommendation from a friend who moved to Ft. Collins recently from the Chicago area. As a former Alpha King and Gumballhead slave, I took his word that this one was definitely worth trying, and now that I can not get either of the aforementioned beers in my area, I was inclined to try it for my hop fix in place of my usual Titan IPA (Three Floyds may be out of the question for me now, but since moving to the Omaha area, my selection of hoppy beers has definitely improved). Anyway... I was very pleasantly surprised by this. Every other Odell beer I have had was simply good, but not outstanding, which is why I may have been a little apprehensive in picking this up. I am very glad I did, however.

The beer pours to a light golden color with excellent clarity. It has a steady stream of carbonation that feeds a very nice head, which stands at a healthy inch and maintains itself very well. The head never once fell to a thin film. Lacing is quite good as well.

The smell is very good, but not quite as potent as the flavor. The hops are not surprisingly the highlight of this IPA, providing a rich floral and citric bouquet. Underlying the hops is a fairly clean pale malt profile. Not much in the way of caramel malts or other specialty malt, but that is really not a big problem when I have a sickness and the only cure is more hops.

The taste is where this beer really shines. If hops were a fruit, this is the juice you would be left with if you ran them through a food processor. Tastes like Amarillo or Simcoe. Mostly citric and floral. Just the right amount of bitterness and balancing malt character. Not completely one dimensional, but by that same token, it is not lame either.

The body is medium with a nice crackling carbonation to help bring out the bitterness. Only a slight alcohol flavor prevents this from getting a perfect 5 in the drinkability category. Otherwise, well played, Odell. I'll be hearing from you again shortly. (1,999 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a whipped egg white head that just won't quit; lacing galore

Smell: Lots of citrusy hops; pink grapefruit juice

Taste: The hops are front and center, with grapefruit at the outset; there is some malty sweetness that develops to balance but this is all about the grapefruit

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate, but prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Right up there with the folks from San Diego; outstanding; very citrusy, but not overly bitter (491 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to afdempse for hooking me up with one of my favorite IPAs.

A: Golden yellow, clear, very effervescent. There is a nice fluffy head that leaves huge amounts of lacing caked throughout the glass.

S: Floral, citrus, fresh garden.

T: Now this is what a "balanced" IPA is supposed to taste like. Grapefruit and citrus flavors perched atop a substantial malt bill. This beer is fantastic!

M: ABV hidden well. Bitter, dry finish.

D: An awesome beer. I wish I could get it here. I would drink this on a regular basis. (522 characters)

"122707"

a: Golden orange, slightly cloudy, head dissipates quickly, but some lacing remains.

s: The aroma of fresh grapefruit has never been more present in a beer I have consumed. The hops give off floral and pine scents as well, but to a much lesser extent.

t: Oily hops, then slightly sweet malt, and then a grapefruity hop finish.

m: Sticky, appropriate carbonation, medium body.

d: Hard to believe its 7%, very drinkable, an IPA session beer, if its possible. I have been a fan of odell since I first tried 90 schilling and cutthroat porter, so when I first saw this in the store, I figured it would be good and paid $9.99 for the 6 without much debate. But, it blew me away, I think this is the best beer Odell makes and it is one of my favorite American IPAs. Highly hoppy, yet not too bitter, excellent aroma, a great brew. (837 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

I am a fan of Odell products, and since I am in an IPA phase, it is about time I tried the Odell IPA. Last nite was the nite. The Odell IPA has deep color and appropriate head for an IPA. Then, wow, what an aroma! This IPA has great aroma presence with the most amazing flowery and hoppy aura. A wonderful experience! The flavor is light on sweet, long on bitter with those flowery notes coming through. This is not my everyday IPA, but a great one to move through an IPA rotation or for special occasions when only a unique and great IPA will do. (547 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance - Golden with a thin head.

Smell - Big citrus (grapefruit) notes with sweetness lingering in the background.

Taste - Amazing balance of bitter citrus with sweet malt.

Mouthfeel - perfect

Drinkability - This is a great APA! Having never heard of the brewery before, I was extremely pleased with the purchase of a 6'er of Odell's IPA. If you enjoy mucho amounts of hops in your Pale Ales, Odell's is a must try. Great example of the style. (453 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Wow! Furious has a running mate for an ipa!

Poured from bottle into pint mug. Pours copper clear and with a nice two finger head that recedes with awesome lacing and great legs!

Nose on this one is brimming with a mixture of Malta and awese hops! Piney an citrus comes through.

Taste on this puppy is top notch. Crisp clean hops balanced with malt and hits with grapefruit and citrus..finish builds and makes me want to keep drinking more and more.

Mouthfeel is so balanced an soft! Great ipa!

Overall this is the second best ipa next to furious in my book. Blind pig comes in right after it.

Awesome Odell!!! (616 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy orange body, bold tall white head, marginal carbonation.

Straight grapefruit attack to the nose balanced on caramel malt. Perfume quality nose here.

Mouth and flavor seem to go together so I’ll mention them together. Highly drinkable, very enjoyable grapefruit infused IPA. Not much carbonation in the mouth, but a decent hop bite. Just a very very solid ipa.

I really wish I had access to this regularly. It’s extremely drinkable, hits the hop/malt balance perfectly, and while perhaps not the most bold and flavorful of the style this one is just darn good. (573 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Color is on the lighter side for the style, with a deep gold hue. Perfect white foam head, holds decently. Spiced pine nose with a grapefruit/ citrus backbone. Seems like my kind of IPA as the malt sweetness smells not very strong.

Very orange-like citrus flavor. Not sweet. The mouthfeel is not syrupy and is quite light, setting up for a refreshing taste. The piney spice carries through nicely also, and I realize this is probably the closest thing to a Blind Pig I have tasted. The finish is remarkable in that I finally get a touch of toasty malt with some light dryness, well done.

This beer topped my expectations. It actually tastes like it was made in California, and that doesn't happen too often. Very similar to Pure Hoppiness or Blind Pig. If you like your IPA's more hopped and less sweet, this will do you right... (833 characters)

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing Company