2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Odell IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell IPAOdell IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: rowew on 03-02-2007)
Ratings: 1,700 | Reviews: 574 | Show All Ratings:
satowns

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

041908 punched into label. Bottle conditioned evident; yeast sedimented on bottom of bottle.

Poured into the Stone IPA specialty glass. Deep golden color with a little of cloudiness from the yeast. Boasts large frothy foam on top. Aggressive lacing as you consume this beer. Medium to high carbonation.

Hops are bight and aromatic and take the reigns on your olfactory. Intense and resinous with grapefruit and fresh cut grass in front and a bit of a soapy aroma in the end.

Bitterness is smooth and balanced with malt flavors. Hops contribute a nice floral taste. While being at the high end of the alcohol spectrum of the style, any such flavors a extremely subdued.

A bit on the thin side, I prefer a bit more unfermentable sugar in the finish; could withstand a bit more body/mouthfeel. A great everyday IPA...

Music enjoyed whilst sampling: Black Nights by Bad Manners

02-03-2008 23:29:11 | More by satowns
iasanlee

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Pours an clear amber. Two fingers of cream color head. Holy sticky lace, gorgeous.

S- Hops hit first, and citrus. Obvious malty character.

T- Hops are first, but not over powering. Grapefruit and orange. Some sweet malt finish.

M- Medium in body with perfect creamy carbonation.

D- Incredible, absolutely incredible. I can instantly chalk this up as one of the very best IPAs I have ever had. I have met many beer geeks that are not happy with a beer until all they can taste is hops. This is so amazingly balanced with the malt to hop ratio, I would put it up there with my top favorites of any style. Great job. Gold star for Odell.

02-03-2008 08:49:14 | More by iasanlee
neonbrown82

4.58/5  rDev +7%

This is my latest staple beer. I tried it on recommendation from a friend who moved to Ft. Collins recently from the Chicago area. As a former Alpha King and Gumballhead slave, I took his word that this one was definitely worth trying, and now that I can not get either of the aforementioned beers in my area, I was inclined to try it for my hop fix in place of my usual Titan IPA (Three Floyds may be out of the question for me now, but since moving to the Omaha area, my selection of hoppy beers has definitely improved). Anyway... I was very pleasantly surprised by this. Every other Odell beer I have had was simply good, but not outstanding, which is why I may have been a little apprehensive in picking this up. I am very glad I did, however.

The beer pours to a light golden color with excellent clarity. It has a steady stream of carbonation that feeds a very nice head, which stands at a healthy inch and maintains itself very well. The head never once fell to a thin film. Lacing is quite good as well.

The smell is very good, but not quite as potent as the flavor. The hops are not surprisingly the highlight of this IPA, providing a rich floral and citric bouquet. Underlying the hops is a fairly clean pale malt profile. Not much in the way of caramel malts or other specialty malt, but that is really not a big problem when I have a sickness and the only cure is more hops.

The taste is where this beer really shines. If hops were a fruit, this is the juice you would be left with if you ran them through a food processor. Tastes like Amarillo or Simcoe. Mostly citric and floral. Just the right amount of bitterness and balancing malt character. Not completely one dimensional, but by that same token, it is not lame either.

The body is medium with a nice crackling carbonation to help bring out the bitterness. Only a slight alcohol flavor prevents this from getting a perfect 5 in the drinkability category. Otherwise, well played, Odell. I'll be hearing from you again shortly.

01-26-2008 05:59:02 | More by neonbrown82
akorsak

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to mmtmatrix for this twelve oz. bottle.

A: The IPA pours with a pale amber color, a bright sun-like color when light is focused on it. The ale is brilliantly clear with no sign of any imperfection. A touch of head laced around the mouth of the glass before disappearing.

S: The nose is a blast of citrus aroma, practically dripping with hop juices. The aromas are so strong and concentrated that it is easy to forget that this is an IPA without the big D.

T: The mouth retains the piquant hop aromas, flicking their hop-devilish flames on the tastebuds. Herbs and grassy flavors add a natural floral taste to the body, creating a green onion-like spiciness. Citrusy grapefruit and oily pine flavors become apparent mid-sip, replacing the floral herbs. Malts know their place and keep a caramel flavor subtly in the background. The one drawback is that alcohol is reasonably warm on the tongue, making itself known throughout the sip.

M: The hoppiness is intense from the first sip to the last. The array of floral, fruit and herbal hop flavors will keep you coming back.

D: The hop bitterness may overpower the tastebuds quickly, so a bottle or two will be enough.

01-26-2008 02:19:05 | More by akorsak
pwoods

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to mmtmatrix for this brew.

12oz. brown bottle poured into an imperial pint. I'm assuming a drink by date is etched in the corner but all I can make out is "xx xx 08".

A: Pours a golden light orange with perfect visibility. 1 1/2 fingers of eggshell head form and has a bit of staying power. Some decent lacing down the sides.

S: Just like an IPA should, IMHO. Big juicy citrus notes and a touch of sapping pine. A bit floral but all about the juicy sweet citrus. Malts add a slight touch of sweetness but nothing bold.

T/M: Hops add a nice kick with plenty of bitterness. Juicy citrus but not as sweet as I had expected. A nice bit of phenols play with the spicy, peppery pine. Malts rush in and balance the hop bitterness out very nicely while beefing the body up with some creaminess.

D: Tasty brew that I wouldn't mind having again. Bitterness is definitely there in this single IPA so maybe just a couple at a time.

01-11-2008 02:06:03 | More by pwoods
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to Oxymoron for this extra.

This pours a clear orange/copper. Beautiful pure white head but dissipates fast. The nose is of american citrus hops but I do smell the tiniest bit of english hop. maybe just sugar. The taste of this IPA is quite amazing. With the dankness in the nose, i was a bit leary of this but i was wrong. Taste is of great crisp dry citrus and pine hops. slight sugars and just enough malt backbone. Wonderfully and uniquely smooth. Some IPAs dont have a strong hop bite and others have too much (IMO) but this one is goldilocks porridge. The mouthfeel is a wee bit thin, but goddamn does it make up for it in smoothness. This is by far the most drinkable standard IPA I have had that I can remember. Could well be the best session IPA out there. Wickedly smooth. I can see why this is a winner at the GABF. Rock on odell and thanks again to Oxymoron.

01-07-2008 06:40:04 | More by AKBelgianBeast
boblog

Oklahoma

3.68/5  rDev -14%

Apperance: Clear and golden copper. Medium size head with decent retention.
Smell: Probably the strongest hop smell of any beer I have had, truly wonderfull.
Taste: Crisp malt flavor, followed by a strong and dry hop finish.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied at most, nice carbonation.
Drinkability: Has the flavor of a beer deserving of mass consumption.

12-29-2007 23:46:55 | More by boblog
jyeast101

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Golden in color with a bright white half inch head. Flowery in odor with a noticible hops aroma. Taste is of an incredibly balanced yet perky IPA. Odell's built upon their great array of standard beers by producing this fine beer. A drinkable IPA that doesn't abuse the taste buds, but tickles then so they ask for more. No surprise that it brought home a Gold.

Serving type: growler

12-24-2007 03:02:47 | More by jyeast101
Tolann

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Perfect amber in color with a big white head that clings to the glass leaving a thick lacing. Clear not hazy in appearance with some bubbles cascading.

S - Lots of citrus and piny hops. Smells yummy! The nose on this beer is pretty obvious and pleasantly hits you when you take a whiff.

T - Sweetness is a little subtle and the hops stand out more. Some smooth bitterness. Seems pretty balanced.

M - Citrus and hops stick in your nose as you drink. Has a smooth feel to it. A light-medium body and not too excited over your tongue.

D - Goes down pretty easy. I'd say this is very drinkable. The hops aren't too bitter and don't stick to your pallet to long, but long enough that you enjoy them. The sweetness is just enough. Looks real good in the glass as well with the heavy lacing.

This might be my favorite from Odell so far!

12-22-2007 21:59:22 | More by Tolann
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

Acquired via trade from Wasatch, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of fruity citrus, caramelized malts and a decent amount of hops.

T: The taste starts with a combination of pale hops bitterness and citrus & caramel sweetness. In most beers American IPA’s that I’ve had the latter fades before the former, but in this case it’s the other way around. There’s a good malt character that doesn’t make its presence known right away. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, this is a decent even if it may not be the absolute best IPA that I’ve had. I could drink a few of them but it wouldn’t be my first choice.

12-16-2007 02:02:15 | More by TheManiacalOne
drumrboy22

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into Sam Adams glass. Beer had a large, creamy, off-white head that left lacing around the glass. Body was sparkling amber with soft carbonation.

Aroma was heavy with citrus hops, light yeast, pepper and malt. Wonderful aroma for an IPA.

Taste was bursting with grapefruit, bitter hops and is balanced with a medium malt flavor. Long bitter finish.

This is an awesome beer and I highly recommend it. I love IPA's and I could drink several of these in a night. Odell's did a great job with this one.

12-10-2007 16:04:57 | More by drumrboy22
davidt

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a bright amber-gold color with good carbonation. Good floral aroma with some pine background. Lots of citrusy hops but balanced with enough malt to keep your cheeks from coming together. The 7% ABV is well masked, so be forewarned if you are going to have several. Certainly the standard setter for American IPAs. Well-deserving of the Gold at GABF. First had this last year during a trip to Denver and look forward to bringing some back each time I return.

12-02-2007 17:22:01 | More by davidt
mentor

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a finger of yellowed frothy fine head over a sorta cloudy rich light-rust liquid. Smells potently of pink grapefruit with pine and strawberries. Realy clean hoppy and just a juicy burst of aroma.

Tastes pink grapefruity yummy. Potent flavor with not as much bitter as I would expect. A bit of grassy character adds a rough edge that is a pleasant contributor. Bit of pils-like zing under the american citrusy character. Oranges and tangerine with a very light caramel malt underneath. This beer is all about juicy hop flavor and I'm living it. Aftertaste is dry of malt with the grassy character standing at its tallest here. The hop flvaor rolls away leaving a fibery aftertaste. Near the end of the glass, the aftertaste begins to wear and the burps are certainly not good. Md body and light mouthfeel. Strong carbonation One was enough.

11-29-2007 05:48:54 | More by mentor
alexgash

Connecticut

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Clear, clean, deep golden center with brighter edges. Finger of gauzy, cobwebby, soft-white head. Ripe, fresh, very fragrant hop aromas: resin, pine, pineapple, and tangerine. Toffee malt in the background.

Juicy tangerine and herbal hops up front. Sugar cookie malt brings some balance before a bitter grapefruit and pine needle hop finish. Medium-bodied. Softly carbonated but could stand to be a little creamier. Great IPA that might be wonderful on cask.

11-28-2007 20:07:52 | More by alexgash
wagenvolks

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my friend Tim for bringing me a bottle back from Fort Collins. 12 oz. into a tulip glass.

Pours a basic-looking straw gold body, clear with visible carbonation. The head is near-white, thin, and exhibits moderate retention and lacing. The smell is intoxicating: sweet, flowery hops and plenty of fruit. Banana, grapefruit, sour apple, peach...it's all in there. I'm really digging the aroma; it'd be perfect if it were a TAD bit less sweet, though.

The taste is a worthy follow-up. Gone are the sweetened fruity notes in the nose, replaced by a big-time hop presence. It's bitter, crisp, and piney. All in all very tasty. The mouthfeel is as crisp as it is refreshing. Carbonation is perfect, and accentuates the medium-thin body. This is one heck of a beer; if it were distributed in NC, it'd have the potential to be my go-to IPA.

11-06-2007 00:54:10 | More by wagenvolks
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

"122707"

a: Golden orange, slightly cloudy, head dissipates quickly, but some lacing remains.

s: The aroma of fresh grapefruit has never been more present in a beer I have consumed. The hops give off floral and pine scents as well, but to a much lesser extent.

t: Oily hops, then slightly sweet malt, and then a grapefruity hop finish.

m: Sticky, appropriate carbonation, medium body.

d: Hard to believe its 7%, very drinkable, an IPA session beer, if its possible. I have been a fan of odell since I first tried 90 schilling and cutthroat porter, so when I first saw this in the store, I figured it would be good and paid $9.99 for the 6 without much debate. But, it blew me away, I think this is the best beer Odell makes and it is one of my favorite American IPAs. Highly hoppy, yet not too bitter, excellent aroma, a great brew.

11-06-2007 00:45:04 | More by BradLikesBrew
kirok1999

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

From Oxymoron in Secret Halloween BIF. Pours a beautiful cloudy orange with a nice white head that laces like glue. Smell is huge floral and citrus hops. Wow! Taste is excellent, the hops shine through with huge floral notes and there is enough malt backbone to give a nice sweet aftertaste that becomes a little bitter hoppy after a while. Mouthfeel is a little thin but this in no way detracts from the overall drinkability of this brew.
If this is their IPA I can't wait to try their DIPA.

11-01-2007 02:07:29 | More by kirok1999
Stagi

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

GREAT!
The color has a nice lighter shade to it.
The smell was very nice, hoppy and fruity.
The taste was wonderful, not at all what I expected, it was great. Nice hop touch with a bit of citrus blend to it, nice and smooth.
The mouthfeel was a little light, but the the aftertaste makes up for it.
I could drink this beer all night, and I plan on drinking all 6 right now. This is one of the few beers I enjoy drinking fast because I love the taste so much, a good any-time beer.

As the label says: Hop on, hold tight, and enjoy the ride!

10-21-2007 06:01:45 | More by Stagi
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Now I got to say that this one turned out to be quite a shock to me. I was expecting just a rather normal IPA, nothing special but I was totally blow away by this one. The pour was gentle, resulting in a very bright amber, hazy and amply carbonated liquid which sat in its glass covered with a monster of a three inch or more head. This rested gently down and left behind generous amounts of side glass clingy and sticky lace, that are in all likelihood still there the next day. Just a great overall look, damn perfect for the style. The aroma coming off this knocked me back off of my feet for a good minute. Huge floral hop presence, I mean huge. Tons of citrus flavors, orange, tangerine, and very sweet as well. There was just a really fresh aroma coming off of it. It was literally dripping fresh. The taste was enormous. I had a hop profile that made you go nuts. Lots of orange and pineapple mixed in with a ton of sweetness, it was just heaven. A big resin, bitter dry finish was superb. Great smooth and light feel was no match for the huge flavor in here. This was really fantastic I could have had this all night, if only I had some more of it. This was far and away one of the best IPA's I have ever had. It was just unreal fresh and hopped to a level I very rarely see. I can find no fault in it at all, so it gets my second ever rating of a perfect five. To say I was surprised by what came out of this bottle was an understatement. This was a perfect IPA, I mean perfect. Maybe it was the bottle, hopefully this is the way they all are and if so this is a testament to something I never heard of before. Must Get More of this as fast as possible, it was that good.

10-20-2007 01:08:00 | More by mikesgroove
walshclimb

Nevada

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours clear, yellow honey with thin white head and minimal lace. Aroma of piney hops with honey and slight fruit. The initial flavor is sweet and malty with a longht live light to moderately bitter aftertaste that is maybe more like a pale ale rather than an IPA. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a slightly creamy feel, dry finish and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is very mild for an IPA. It has good flavor and is very drinkable but not overly complex.

10-16-2007 16:16:06 | More by walshclimb
MrMcGibblets

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

thanks to oxymoron for this one. this poured a nice glowing orange into a nonic with a slight haze and a mostly diminishing white head that formed a collar of lace throughout. smell was of honeyed peaches, yes, peaches, along with resiny citrus, pine, and sweet malt in the bouqet. very nice, powerful, fresh aroma. taste is a bit of sweet malt pushed aside by a heavy dose of lingering hop bitterness. medium-bodied with a long astringent finish. this was some surprisingly good shit.

10-12-2007 01:42:29 | More by MrMcGibblets
objectivemonkey

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Into a pint glass, pours a cloudy orangish straw yellow color with a nice white head and decent lacing. The aroma is heavily hoppy, as is the taste, nice citrus qualities, not very shy, not very complex, but still pretty enjoyable. The body is pretty good, as is carbonation. In all, nothing bad about it, nothing too exciting, just a pretty good regional IPA.

10-09-2007 01:38:47 | More by objectivemonkey
cafemondegar

3.85/5  rDev -10%

The beer poured from a bottle with barely any head, I had the bottle and the glass at 45 degree angle while pouring, so that can probably explain the lack of head.
The color is golden-orange, like so many American IPAs I have seen before, nothing special there. It's in the smell and taste department that the beer really shines. Smells a little like molasses and malt and the taste is all hops. I just took a big swig, let it swirl inside my mouth for a moment. The verdict - while it is a great tasting beer, it's by no means a session beer. The beer makes no bones about its 7% ABV and you can feel it in your breath in just the first sip.
All in all - another one in the great tradition of awesome beers from Odell's

09-28-2007 02:38:03 | More by cafemondegar
WaveRebel51

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like almost everything else from Odells, this is very good. Very tasty and very well-balanced. Naturally, as an IPA, hops are prevalent but not an overtly or obnoxiously aggressive manner. The piney, floral aroma is nice and subdued. The hop bitterness is well-balanced by the malts and the complexity of the flavors mask the strong alcohol content. Easy to drink despite high ABV.

09-23-2007 20:24:53 | More by WaveRebel51
sacrelicio

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Fantastic IPA. Nice amber/gold color with decent lace. Nice piney, citrusy smell with some cheddar-like scents. Taste of orange peel, pine, lemon juice, candied sugar. Quite pure and delicious. Quite bitter. Fantastically delicious. Nice mouthfeel, very full bodied, almost syrupy while staying light enough for a good quaff. Fantastic, a must try. A flavor king.

08-25-2007 03:56:40 | More by sacrelicio