Runoff Red IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: SuperWhite92 on 01-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Runoff Red IPA Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
Ratings: 655 | Reviews: 206
4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance
Deep garnet brown color; small head, though it does leave some sticky lace

Smell
Big American hops surprise me-very nice. Was expecting a minor hop presence; this is nearly IPA-level hop aroma.

Taste & Body
First sip wows me. Odell knows how to make great beer. Love this American take on a red ale. So hoppy it's almost like a pale ale or even IPA! Malts are there but in a minor role. Hops are citric fruity and piney bitter; they're working really well together. I'm guessing Simcoe hops were used in the recipe. Pretty clean yeast strain as there's not a lot of fruitiness competing with the hops. Body is right around medium; carbonation seems just a tad low.

Overall
An awesome American Red Ale. I'd take this any day over their 5-Barrel or 90 Shilling.

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

2014 release six pack picked up, must be pretty fresh, date on bottle says 5/2/14, guessing this means drink it by then.. served around 35-40 degrees in the Dogfish/Sierra Nevada IPA glass.

A: Perfect, what an excellent red ale color this has, some decent carbonation, perfect red hint to it. poured with a finger of head that dissipates to a thin layer of head that completely covers the entire surface, which is awesome. lacing isn't huge but there are some long lacing legs up the glass.

S: Smell isn't what you want to judge this beer by, idk if it is just me but it smells almost like a rye IPA, it has a bread/red/rye smell that isn't the best smelling beer ever but either way it's not terrible.

T: Awesome, very fresh, has a big amber ale/red ale taste but you also get the punch of the fruity hops that Odell seems to have mastered. Very refreshing beer, and at 6.5% this is very session-able. I seem to be picking up a bit of bready taste as well as some rye. I don't even know if this beer is made with rye but there is a small bit of the rye characteristics with it.

M: Decently carbonated, feels light yet filling, I could drink a 6 pack in the summer on a hot day even though this is a Winter Seasonal. Very refreshing, great beer, would love to have on draft.

O: Pick this up if you see it, if you are lucky enough pick up their Winter'Spring Montage 12 pack that has this along with their latest Roots Release which for 2014 is a Pale Ale named "Wolf Picker" I believe.. if you can catch this beer on draft than of course give it a shot.

Summary: Best red IPA I have ever had, only one I can compare it to is the Elysian Valhalla Red, Odell is an excellent brewery and they seem to have mastered the fruity, juicy, fresh hops, their IPA is in my top 5 and their DIPA as well. What a great refreshing seasonal. Keep it up Odell!

Update: This beer gets better with every sip, find it and try it, it is amazing.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Yum! I've been looking forward to this seasonal, and it lives up to its reputation. Odell just keeps delivering.

A - Nice amber color and thick, foamy head, which persists longer than expected. Good 2-finger lacing. Pretty.

S - All kinds of citrus, no pine. It's like smelling a ripe, red grapefruit -- all fruit and flowers, very clean.

T - Mmmm. I actually made that sound. Twice. This has unexpected balance. It's like a malty red grapefruit.

M - My only criticism of this beer is the parched-tongue feeling I get, like after drinking a tannic wine. Really odd.

D - This goes down readily and willingly. I could drink quite a few of these.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I normally expect Red Ales to be malty and way too sweet. This beer is something else

Yes it is malty but it has a wonderful surge of hops. Seems more like an extra malty pale ale than anything.

Hazy dark amber brew with a glow when you hold it up to the light.

Aroma is mostly toasty malt but with some hops in the background. Flavor is balanced and rich. Some copper notes. Floral hops.

Extremely drinkable. I wish I bought more than just one bottle of this, on my last trip to Junction City, KS.

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

Perfectly balanced red IPA, one of my favorite beers

4.94/5  rDev +21.7%

You have to have it if you appreciate reds

« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »