Bourbon Barrel Stout - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: waltonc on 09-12-2009

Imperial Stout aged in Buffalo Trace and Old Fitzgerald bourbon barrels. 2011 batch was aged in Stranahan's barrels.
to view more.
Ratings: 346 | Reviews: 188

Bottle shared by Mike, thanks for the opportunity!
Rich roasty chocolate and caramel offset by earthy woody bourbon notes that compliment quite nicely. Great stout!

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

This is a good representation of the style, but that style isn't really up my alley. It's very high alcohol, as you would expect, so be prepared. I don't drink bourbon, so it's not something I'd seek out, but I tried it at a food and beer pairing event and it went well with the dessert we had.

4.41/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle from 2011.

Pours viscous and pitch black, with a 1/4 finger thick, pale cream head that dissipates into a layer of lace atop the beer. Not as heady or lacy as I'd hope, but the dark body is enticing.

Just what I'd expect from a BBA beer, oaken, vanilla, and spicy bourbon. Slight hints of dark and sweet malts, and some chocolate, are also present. It's tasty smelling.

I continue to get lots of oak and bourbony spice, but I suspect it's mellowed considerably as I'm not overwhelmed by these tastes. In fact, I notice the sweet vanilla and malt and some tasty dark chocolate.

Smoothness is heavy here. This beer has mellowed out excellently. No boozy burn. Silky, creamy and thick-bodied, there's only a slight bite to this and it's more from a rye spiciness than booze.

This beer is right there. The flavor offers many tastes and it's still smooth and silky. I would say this aged very well.

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It took some digging around on the internet, but I've finally ascertained that the bottle I have is a 2011 vintage. 11.5% according to the label. 750ml brown glass bottle with rustic barrel-like label art and branded black hood-and-wire cap over a branded cork acquired a couple years ago at Argonaut Liquor and served into an EKU 28 stem-snifter in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, CO. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high; I'm a huge fan of Odell and I'm in the mood for a bourbon barrel aged stout. "0554-2011." No bourbon brand is identified on the label.

Served chilled - after a period of rest following its removal from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Yields only a minor pop upon removal of the cork; there's no carbonation hiss.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger wide head of khaki colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Retention is poor - sub 30 seconds. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a predictable opaque solid black - almost a jet black. Sleek and glossy. Rich. No floating yeast particles are visible, but it's so dark I doubt I'd see them if they were present.

Overall, it's looking quite attractive for a bourbon barrel stout, but the lack of head and seeming undercarbonation are concerning characteristics. Not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws here.

Sm: Vanilla - not as authentic as vanilla bean, not as artificial as vanillicin. Milk chocolate. Dark malts. Cream. Light bourbon, but no real rich toasty oak or barrel notes. It's quite timid and reticent for a bourbon barrel aged stout, lacking seeming depth. Very subdued - this is not the intense aroma you'd expect from an imperial stout. Any coffee has faded with age. I'm also not finding any roasted barley. Plenty of sweetness here.

A pleasing inviting aroma of surprisingly light strength. It doesn't seem alive; there're no yeast notes. No alcohol is noticeable.

T: The subdued timid vibe from the aroma continues in the taste. Very reticent/closed-off. Dark malts. Chocolate malts. Cream. The bourbon lacks depth, but as a trade-off is near seamlessly integrated; all I really get is some faint vanilla, but it isn't the rich vanilla bean of superior imperial stouts. Milk chocolate. Caramel. Faint marshmallow. It's nicely balanced, but the simplicity is a big drawback. Lacks the complexity, subtlety, intricacy, and nuance of the best beers in the style. Maybe it's withdrawn with age and was more bold fresh.

Roasted barley is sorely missed here. I need far more from the bourbon as well as from the base; it just doesn't open up to the drinker at all. And any coffee it's supposed to have is not coming through at all; age has likely taken its toll.

Below average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. It's far less boozy than many examples of the style, which I admire.

It isn't as clean as I'd like, and has some earthiness and graininess lurking beneath the surface that I figure is left over from the absent coffee notes.

Has a bitter vinous off-note I'm none too fond of.

Mf: A big flaw here is the slight dryness and thinness/weak feel of the finish. Overly smooth and wet otherwise. Carbonation is near perfect. Lightly sticky. Sleek and slick. Pretty good thickness. Full-bodied. Nice presence on the palate. Soft enough, I guess. Could be creamier.

Not oily, astringent, harsh, gushed, hot, rough, or boozy.

Dr: A drinkable bourbon barrel aged imperial stout, but not one that's up there with the best in the style. Its reticence is its undoing, and the barrel notes just don't add enough to the base beer. Not worth picking up at this price point. I do love Odell and I like this beer, but there are far superior options available at or below this price point. Hides its ABV pretty well.

Overall, this a middle-of-the-road bourbon stout that won't impress the discerning drinker. I'd like to revisit a fresh bottle, but apparently they're no longer brewing this beer so I won't have that opportunity. I can say that most bourbon stouts taste better with age than this does.

C+

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Logged from notes, shared by a stranger at DLD '11. Pours opaque blackish brown with creamy tan head present. The nose is chock full of oak and vanilla. Some chocolate is present in there as well, but oak is the dominating force throughout this brew. Taste is chocolatey up front with mellow vanilla, and again more well integrated wood. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, right on par with the style. Nice balance here for a bourbon stout, very smooth and no booziness.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks goes out to the BA who sent me this one as an extra in a past trade (BM me if it was you) so that I could share it at one of our random Sunday tastings! Served from bottle into a Sweetwater 15th Anniversary snifter. Poured pitch black with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, earth hop, wood, sweet alcohol, and metallic. The flavor was of sweet malt, earth, wood, metallic, oxidized, and roasted malt. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a less than average brew. I’m not really sure what went down here, but this brew was not happy about sitting in my fridge for awhile before getting to open it. There was a pop when cork was pulled, but this one was definitely oxidized. Really hated to see this happen if I am honest. There was some nice notes going on in the nose, but in the flavor it was completely dominated by the oxidation. Such a shame.

2.73/5  rDev -30.4%

750ml bottle poured into my Flying Mouflan glass. I believe this is a 2009 vintage, but it could be 2010. Dark brown in color with a thin tan head scattered around the top and concentrating around the edges.

The aroma has some sharper dark fruit notes to it. I get some brown sugar sweetness and a little bourbon but the imperial stout flavors are pretty well hidden. The sharp, tart dark fruits definitely hint at something being off in it, but it doesn't completely ruin it.

The sharp, tart, moderately acidic fruit flavors come through even more in the taste. It definitely has more in common with an American wild than an imperial stout at this point. The bourbon barrel comes through a little and adds an interesting twist to the tart fruits.

The mouthfeel is thin for the style and carbonation is above average. Overall, it wasn't what I expected or probably what was intended but it wasn't terrible. It was a drinkable American wild but not a good bourbon imperial stout.

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%

750ml bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast

Poured almost pitch black even when held up to the light... Dirty mocha brown head poured quite very loose and bubbly and faded instantly to almost nothing... no real lacing..

Aroma - Very strong oaky bourbon to the fore straight away, very woody and earthy, lots of fresh vanilla, roasted malts, hints of tar, cigar smokiness, rich stewed dark fruits (blackcurrents and prunes), molasses and burnt brown sugar, alcohol is pretty noticeable, fresh black pepper, hint of sourness

Taste - Roasted and charred malts mixed with strong molasses / black treacle sweetness followed closely by warming bourbon, lots of vanilla, liquorice, defnite cigar / tobacco smokiness, rich dark sweet fruits (prunes, figs, raisins, blackcurrents), very earthy, espresso, light sour soy notes, alcohol definitely comes through, dark chocolate...

Feel - Smooth and slick although not as full bodied as i would have expected... suprisingly drinkable for an 11% brew although you definitely notice the alcohol after a while

Overall - A very complex stout... definitely recommended although my bottle cost about £18 so not something i'll be having too often

2.01/5  rDev -48.7%

2011 Vintage
Poured from 750ml bottle into KtG snifter

I'd really been looking forward to this one based on great experiences with other Odell brews, and positive buzz about this one. I purchased in late 2011, and cellared the corked & caged bottle on its side since then. The cork was tight. In most cases, when a c&c bottle is properly carbonated, the cork will get easier and easier to pull as it works its way out. Unfortunately, this one was a struggle the whole way, leading me to believe the was a carbonation issue...

A hard pour straight into the bottom of my snifter only resulted in a small group of large bubbles--no tight collar of foam here. Reminiscent of one of my early homebrews that failed to carbonate. Color is a dark cola brown/black-- a bit thinner than anticipated.

Before even tasting this one, I suspect that there's a major issue. With a sip, this one falls flat, both with respect to carbonation, and also flavor. Some malty, chocolate sweetness, moderate cardboard, a hint of oaky barrel, and a slight bitterness. This is obviously not what the brewer intended, so I'll stop the review there. Proceed to kitchen sink. Pour.

Unfortunately, I believe this bottle set me back $18, which is very frustrating. After reading other reviews, it appears that there is some significant inconsistency with last year's batch. Short of being offered a free replacement bottle this year, I won't be going after this one again.

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

750ml cork'n'cage bottle from the 2010 vintage, poured into a 25cl Duvel tulip. I picked this one up while on vacation in Wyoming a couple summers ago, and finally got around to opening it with friends at a tasting. I've heard rumors about the chance of infection, so here goes nothing...

A: Once I get the extremely tight cork out (with the aid of a buddy's Leatherman), the beer pours a not unexpected black body that glows with clear orange highlights around the edges; on top is a finger of ultra-fine tan head. Mediocre retention, spotty lace. Ok.

S: Whew, nothing off about this. Pretty powerful oak-forward aroma, including bourbon, vanilla, and spice. Some molasses and chocolate fill in behind. Light char. Very good.

T: More chocolate here, with the bourbon-soaked oak close behind. Some spicy booze meshes well with chocolate and vanilla on the finish. Long, sweet, woody aftertaste. Great, vibrant flavors.

M: A little thinner than ideal, but still substantial; plenty of fine, lively carbonation. Not bad, but no better than average.

O: I'd been eyeing this one like a potential impostor in my cellar for a long time, expecting the worst from a possible infection. Boy was I glad to find out that not only was the brew uninfected, it was delicious! Even after a couple years it's maintained a remarkable intensity of flavor, with the barrel notes still right up front - just how I like 'em. Great stuff.

Cheers!

2.8/5  rDev -28.6%

Nice 'Pop' from the C&C bottle. HUGE, sticky, lingering, layered, Tan/straw head with tons of foam and tightly wound soapy bubbles. Thick black brew flows from the bottle. Moderate lacing; especially at 11.5%...

Very light bourbon nose. Is this brew (again) tainted? Pretty cardboard-y and slight sourness...

Very bland and generic. Metallic and powdery. Not much bourbon, but lots of bourbon burn. This is not the BBS of old... Even with over the top head, it still drinks decent. Mild coffee and super light chocolate. Light on the tongue too.

Ok, so the debate rages...To review a potential tainted brew, or to not... IMO, one should review.

I love Odell, and it's not my intent to hammer them, but seriously? Twice, twice now BBS has been Funked. This is super disappointing, b/c I know how great BBS can be. I hope I'm able to re-review this brew in the future, but for now, steer clear, infection coming though :(

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Solid brown/black with a tall head of sudsy light brown foam.

Sweet malt, chocolate, light bourbon, hint of vanilla.

Thin milk chocolate, vanilla, caramel, oak with underlying bourbon. The bourbon is a bit on the lighter side.

The body feels a bit thin for the style. Carbonation is above average. Not as soft and creamy as I'd hoped.

I enjoyed this one much better last year on tap. Not as good this time around. A good beer, but not great. Certainly a steep price to pay for the product, but not a complete loss.

1.45/5  rDev -63%

(review from 02-11-2013) 2nd review of 2011 batch since I think my first was infected.

A: Pop the cork with nary a hiss. Not a good sign. Pours about as flat as you can get. Very dark brown body. 1/4" head from a really aggressive pour. Head fades quickly, zero lacing.

S: Smells like pure wine or sherry. Fruity, tart, sour, dry.

T: Sherry, sour fruits...solid chunks. What the hell is in this?

M: Thin and completely flat.

O: Welp, this one is definitely infected, much worse than the below review. Instead of being overcarbonated it is flat and disgusting. Revolting. 0 for 2.

(review from 04-14-2012) 2011 batch.

A: A pure black pour with a ridiculously over the top light brown head. Huge, dense foam. Retention is great, fades very slowly and never really goes away. Leaves decent splatters of lacing on the glass. (4.5)

S: Loads of boozy bourbon in the nose. Burnt caramel and oaky vanilla mainly. Hints of dark fruit. Boozy. Just the lightest bit of roasted malt but mostly it is overpowered. Great aroma despite the roasted malt being so subtle. (4.5)

T: Lots of bourbon up front for sure. Again with the caramel and tons of oak to follow. Getting a lot of licorice and leather. Earthy throughout. A bit yeasty like sourdough. Tastes a bit funky, like some belgians can be. Touches of dark fruit here and there. (3)

M: Relatively high carbonation makes this one feel thinner than it is. (3)

O: I was worried about infection (like many others), and I'm even more confused now that I've drank it. It looks great, smells great, and tastes halfway decent. But it's the least stout-like stout I've ever had. Honestly besides the label description and the color, I never would have expected this to be a stout. I don't really get much roasted malt flavor - I let it warm up completely and really there is almost no roast, chocolate or coffee in there. Very high carbonation for a stout like this too. It tastes like a bourbon barrel quad or a belgian strong dark. The question is whether or not that was intended. (3.5)

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

750ml bottle from the 2011 vintage. Poured this one into a Boulevard tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark dark brown color. It's not totally black compared to the BCBSs that we'd tackled prior. Good carbonation on this one compared to them. I actually had a little tannish head to start. Solid lacing.

S: Being worried about infection with this bottle, I thought I smelled something off initially. It was almost a funky Belgian smell. Up front I didn't get much vanilla and oak but it was in there..

T: Thinner than the others. Good molasses, char and roast character. Some of the bourbon hints DO show up. You get that toffee, vanilla, and some wood presence as well.

M: Full. But thinner, than the others.

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

Odell Bourbon Barrel Stout, 22 oz bomber: An outstanding achievement in beer! Start with a beautiful bottle and label. Get out the wire clippers to remove the cork cage. Pour. I let the Bourbon Barrel Stout settle for a few minutes. It has a huge head that forms a surreal cloud like formation atop the black stillness of the body. The aroma is very smooth, mostly vanilla. The flavor is not big and brash as some stouts go, it is smooth and well balanced. Is it a stout? A porter? A Belgian double? All of these thoughts come to mind. Whatever you decide, the flavor is amazing and the brew is very drinkable. Be sure to buy a second bomber or you will wish you had.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

2010 Vintage 1PT 9.4oz

A: Nice tan two-finger head, dark black color, carbonation is present, some nice lacing

S: Molasses, wood, vanilla, some chocolate, bourbon

T: Same as smell, bit of coffee beans and some warming alcohol

M: Decent feel, a bit thin, okay carbonation

O: Good bourbon barrel stout, will try again if I come across

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 Vintage

Pours dark black with no head whatsoever. A ring of tiny bubbles attach to the glass that does leave a tiny amount of lacing. Sure does not look like much.

Nice aroma. The bourbon does not overpower the stout, but compliments the malt aromas. We are given notes of chocolate, vanilla, caramel, and bourbon.

The flavor falls off a bit but I blame the lack of carbonation for that. The bourbon comes out more in the flavor but it still does not dominate the malty stout. I get more vanilla but the chocolate disapeared being replaced by a hint of coffee.

Being very generous with the score here. Feels more like a full bodied red wine than anything beer related. It is full bodied and with proper carbonation, could really shine.

It does deliver where it counts but it is terribly flawed. I expected proper bottle conditioning from this very experienced brewer. Especially for the price.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Poured black with two fingers of thick, bubbly light brown head with good retention and nice lacing.

S - Roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon. Some licorice and oak in the background. The bourbon doesn't dominate the nose as it tends to in many bb stouts.

T - Some bourbon, vanilla and oak up front giving way to roasted malts, chocolate and coffee. Very good balance of the barrel aging qualities and the base beer profile. Some licorice and noticeable alcohol in the background. The licorice becomes more prominent as the beer warms up.

M - Medium body. Light to moderate carbonation. A touch watery at times.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

750 ml bottle poured into a mug.

Beer pours a dark black color. No head hardly at all, just some bubbles.

Beer smells strongly of bourbon. Notes of chcolate and slightly of vanilla.

Roasty chocolate notes highlight the taste, with a fairly potent bourbon taste on the backend. Fairly boozy.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick and pleasant.

2.05/5  rDev -47.7%

From 750mL bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 1/14/12
*From notes

-- Thanks for bringing this one back east, John --

*When I pull the cork, there's no hiss or pop. There's also this weird and nasty crust surrounding the cork and the entry to the bottle. Not the best of starts.

A: Dark maple brown in color. A hard pour down the center of my glass yields no substancial head, just a mere pop of carbonation that falls off. No lacing or collar.

S: Before I even poured the beer, I jammed my nose in the bottle to get a feel for the beer. Bad idea. This thing smells like rotting, concentrated black fruit. Entirely devoid of anything resembling a quality BA stout. Once in the glass, it comes off a bit like bubblegum, with a heavy dose of alcohol esters and wood.

T: Not quite as bad as I expected after the train wreck called the bouquet. Lots of bourbon, bubblegum, rubbing alcohol, woody char, fake vanilla extract and a good bit of ass puckering tang.

M: This lacks carbonation, and in the worst way. It's a bit of an oily mess. Oh, and did I mention how thin it is?

O: God....how I'd been dying to tick this beer from day one of my craft beer addiciton. I remember trying to trade for it, not having the kind of meager ammo the other guy wanted. With that in mind, I'm extremely dissapointed to see that the current vintage is an infected mess. Here's to hoping that this is merely a one-time occurance, and not a continual trend.

3.27/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Unibroue goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy dark brown with a ton of light tan head. The beer looks to be thinner than I would like and it foams up way too much.

Smell: Roasted malt along with some bourbon up front. There is a strong note of dark fruit and perhaps mild cherry. I'm getting a mild alcohol burn and some chocolate as well.

Taste: This one isn't bad at all. I was worried given the talk of infection, and I think it will end up being very sour in the future, but I'm enjoying it enough. Some bourbon and dark chocolate with hints of vanilla. The finish has some dark fruit and alcohol in it.

Mouthfeel: The body is definitely on the thin side with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This one is in the process of going bad. Still a pretty good beer, but we'll have to see in the future.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Picked up a couple bottles this season: one to cellar and one to enjoy! Poured from the bottle to NBB globe. The beer pours a thick oily black with a 2 finger creamy mocha-colored head with excellent retention and lacing. A pleasant mix of aromas:chocolate, vanilla, espresso,oak and bourbon. Alcohol hidden quite well. The flavor starts right where the nose left off with large chocolate roasted malt flavors mixed with oak and bourbon, though not overpowering, though you can taste the higher abv it isn't distracting in the least bit. Full bodied and smooth. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Can't wait to see how it ages.

3.91/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from 750 ml. C&C bottle into DFH signature glass. 2011 vintage.

A: Pours a deep jet black color with a creamy khaki consistent head across the top. Some sticky, frothy lacing remains. The head is very small bubbled, and provides a really nice coverage. Very long and impressive head retention.

N: A real nice toasty character shows well, along with notes of coffee, and minimal amount of bourbon? Bottle says bourbon barrel aged, BA says Stranahan for the 2011 vintage. I'm not getting a whole lot of bourbon. Good amount of roast coming through as it warms a bit.

T: It's got a boozy hit to it at first, but fades quickly to some nice vanilla, and a bit of oak. A bit of espresso, and some crisp chocolate, almost bitter.

M: A fairly dry mouthfeel, compared to alot of the BBN stouts that I have had recently. A bit thin bodied, with a high level of carbonation.

D and O: Bah. It's a good beer. I'm glad that I didn't "seek" this one out. It was a pleasurable drinking experience, dont get me wrong, but I wouldn't go out of my way to drink this over some real good Midwest locals like CW or even Dragons Milk.

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from the bottle into an oversized wine glass at altitude in Denver.

A: Pours an oil black color with a small but creamy mocha-colored head that leaves an appealing cap. Quite a bit of lacing on the glass.

S: Chocolate, espresso, vanilla, oak and bourbon. The booziness is surprisingly subdued all things considered.

T: Chocolate notes are the most prevalent, with floral oak overtones all the way through. Doesn't taste as strongly of bourbon as I expected, and there's some definite heat as it warms up.

M: Full-bodied and smooth, but very dry. The dryness definitely detracts from the beer in my opinion.

D: The dryness makes this one a sipper. I would find it difficult to drink the whole bottle by myself despite the fact that it tastes good.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

Overall I was very relieved that I didn't get an infected bottle. After reading a lot of the reviews about this beer, I was really nervous I got an infected bottle.

A: Pours a dark black, not too much lacing, and adequate head.

S: Very strong whiskey aroma, kind of intimidating.

T: Once again I am so glad I didn't get an infected bottle. I got good roasted chocolate notes, with a hint of whiskey too. I'm glad the whiskey taste didn't match the level that it smelled like.

M: I imagined it would be a little thicker/creamier, but overall it has a nice crisp feel to it. Still enjoyable none the less

Overall I really enjoyed this and I am very glad I have another bottle to store in the cellar. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed hoping that bottle is also a good one.

to view more.