Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Bourbon Barrel Stout - Odell Brewing Company

Bourbon Barrel StoutBourbon Barrel Stout

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: waltonc on 09-12-2009

Imperial Stout aged in Buffalo Trace and Old Fitzgerald bourbon barrels. 2011 batch was aged in Stranahan's barrels.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bourbon Barrel Stout Alström Bros

You'll find this one best at room temp. and it is better that way on any frigid day, so sip on this & enjoy it.

I am a huge fan of Guinness Extra Stout, and I have to say that Odell Brewing Company has done everything perfect when it came to making/aging this beer.

Only complain is the limited QTY and yeah, it's pricey.

4.83/5  rDev +24.2%

poured into a pint wheat beer glass
the appearance reminds me of the perferct espresso down to the carmel color head
the smell-aroma of slight milk chocolate,slight oak,and a faint bourban hint
the taste is exceptional!I am impressed by the mellow milk chocolate flavor,mixed with a delicious carmel taste mingling with vanilla along with a bitter goodness that does not make this as sweet as described.i do not taste bourban at all,but it may be that which balances this delihgtful discovery
mouthfeel-i could handle this all day!it is a creamfull coating that layers ones mouth with exceptional flavor and feel
overall-its my first review and i truly enjoyed this speciment of a brew-tis a strong beer but i think when enjoyed moderatly,one truly appreaciates what goes into the craft.side note-in minnesota paid 16.95 for a 1 pint 9.4 oz bottle.curious what others pay for perfection

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

A- Pours very dark brown to black. Looks a little thick, but very nice. Head is thick and creamy. It does stick around for most of the brew before becoming a film.

S- I smell quite a few spices, some maltiness and can tell a higher alcohol content is ahead. I detected some signs of woodiness and bourbon as the cask-aging would suggest.

T- Malt roasting is present, though not overly strong. The cask remnants are much stronger, lending to tones of wood and bourbon. There is a hint of sweetness, as if there is some dark chocolaty tones I'm not quite picking up on. Very good taste overall.

M- Carbonation is kept low, the beer is kept smooth. This is an excellent combination for this style, and gets high marks from me. No lingering "residue" that makes some beer loose points.

D- NOT a session beer. Alcohol content is 10.5%. One solid pint, and most people will start feeling the effects and be unable to properly enjoy it. I get this on tap whenever and wherever I see it. Definitely worth grabbing. Only complaint I can think of is the bottled form is a 750ml, and not multiple 12oz bottles. It's a preference thing. For wine/beer tastings, the big bottle would be great, but I rarely take part in them.

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

Thanks goes out to pokesbeerdude for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a very nice dark brown color, very nice carbonation, awesome two-finger creamy tan head, which settles down to a very nice one-finger thick creamy tan head. The nose is malty, with lots of very nice bourbon notes, nice chocolate/toffee scent, with some dark fruits. The taste is very nice, malty, sweet, with a very nice touch of bourbon, chocolate/toffee notes mixed in very well, picking up some dark fruits. Medium body, ABV is hidden very well, a very complex brew. Very drinkable, this one is a joy to drink. Thanks Chuck!

4.79/5  rDev +23.1%

New review:
This is a beer that is not for beginers. Color is jet black with a small tan head. Aroma was that of vanilla and oak with some alcohol esters. Flavor was rich, creamy with wonderful boubon notes, possibly a little bit of licorice mixed with some vanilla. Mouthfeel was full. A great beer for sure. Drink a couple of glasses and you are in store for one heck of a hangover.

On tap at The Arizona Strong Beer festival. One of the few beers that I thought were outstanding. Color was very dark and black, not much head but that could have been from the plastic glass. Aroma was full of bourbon and burnt coffee malt. Taste was extremely smooth with a nice alcohol burn. Bourbon was most definently present. Body was full with a nice smooth rich aftertaste. The rep said they would be sending some more of it to Arizona in the future.

4.77/5  rDev +22.6%

When I heard Odell was purchasing dozens of used Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrels, I think I wet my pants. When I had the privilege of tasting it from the barrel thanks to a very generous Odell employee, I nearly crapped myself. Now the day is here, I am sitting in front of a glass of Odell Bourbon Barrel Stout and I am so excited I just can't contain it. Did I mention Buffalo trace is one of my favorite Bourbons? That I have consumed half a bottle in the past week? Yeah, this is a big day for me...

The aroma is...EXCEPTIONAL. The Bourbon barrel is there, but it is only the first wave, then comes milk chocolate, vanilla bean and a hint of prune. My first sip was sweet milk chocolate but that was only the first of many layors: mild coffee, vanilla bean, toffee, oak, a just a hint of Buffalo Trace. The body is creamy like a milk stout, the finish long with notes of cocoa and Bourbon. I spli this bottle, but unlike 99% of the Imperial Stouts I have tasted, I think I would really like to sit down and drink a bottle to myself. It was just that good. Not too rich, no overbearing Bourbon, just a nearly perfect example of what Barrel-aged Stouts should be.

Today, was a very good day.

4.72/5  rDev +21.3%

Wow! I have had two of these since its release in bottles. Good God! This is a terrific stout. I had it on tap earlier in the year at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver and while it was good, the bourbon was way over the top. Now, even young, this thing is pitch perfect. I am leaving the country for a year and won't be able to age this thing for quite a while, but truthfully, I'm not sure how much better this can get. Odell is one of the most criminally overlooked breweries in the country, IMHO.

ETA: after reading some other reviews, I figured I should echo the comments about the cork being much too difficult to remove.

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A few minutes ago I was sitting at the fridge, wondering what to drink. It's a very cold day here in Colorado, despite only being Sept 22. Snow is here already, and its time to open a Stout. Lets go for the Odell. And wow.. I'm glad I did.

Appearance has a rich, 3 finger, dense, tan head. Hold nearly through the whole glass, with great lacing. Nice, black body, although it doesnt pour "thick"

Smell is filled with oak and bourbon, although the bourbon isnt overpowering. Blends nicely with the chocolately and roasted malts. No overpowering sweetness to found in the aroma, that you can sometimes find in an imperial stout.

Taste has a great, but mellow, bourbon flavor.. far from being overpowering. Excellent, balanced taste. Very very smooth and finishes fantastic. Smooth, milky, chocolately flavors that finishes out with a mildly bitter roasted flavor. Some subtle hints of vanilla as well. Of course the oak flavors are present as well.

Mouthfeel is silky, medium body, and medium carbonation.

Drinkability is amazingly good for such a big beer. Only reason i gave is a 4.5 is because of the ABV and this will ofcourse limit you. Slight stickiness in the finish but no signs of ABV.

Overall... amazing beer. So smooth and balanced while retaining EXCELLENT drinkability. I'll be making sure to get more of these for the very cold months.

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Imagine my delight when a recent morning at work was interrupted by a phone call from one of my favorite people asking me whether I wanted her to pick up any special beers from Odell's Brewery in Fort Collins, Colorado. She was standing in the brewery gift shop, and mentioned a limited edition Bourbon Barrel Stout. Sold!

Tonight, I uncorked the 750 milliliter bottle, after letting it warm up to around 45-50 degrees. A good rich beer should not be served tongue-numbingly cold; the warmth allows the complexities of the beer shine.

The aroma is all coffee and chocolate, and the color is dark brown just this side of black. No hop aroma can cut its way through the rich, malty smell. A note of vanilla gives just a hint of the complexity to be found just underneath the dark tan head. At 10.5% alcohol, it's not surprising that the head does not last long, though a film remains, and a lace of foam decorates the side of the glass as the beer disappears.

The mouthfeel is perfect. A beer this tasty is sometimes syrupy, but this one is enjoyably, perhaps dangerously, drinkable.

Appearance, aroma and mouthfeel are good, but the flavor is what makes this beer memorable. I'm not a huge fan of bourbon, because I don't enjoy the burn of high-alcohol liquors. This beer delivers the wonderful flavors of bourbon without the burn. Aged for 4 months in barrels from Buffalo Trace Distillery, this imperial stout yields agreeably to the vanilla, caramel and slight smokiness of bourbon in a cooling mouthful of chocolate and coffee maltiness. You get the pleasure of bourbon without the pain.

Don't let the word "stout" bring expectations of lots of dry roasted barley. Without the bourbon, this would be a big, creamy milk stout, leaning toward an imperial porter. I wonder whether I would find it too sweet without the added spiciness of the bourbon, but it is delightful as served.

This beer was around $16 for a bottle the same size as a bottle of wine. Frankly, it's worth every nickle. It has much more going on flavor-wise than even a very good bottle of wine, and the creativity and skill demonstrated by the brewers outshine the work put in by 99% of winemakers.

I don't know what I would pair this beer with. It's a little sweet to go with a steak, but it might be the perfect accompaniment to a dark chocolate mousse and a cigar. It certainly goes well with the handful of pretzels I'm tasting it with.

This is definitely one of the best beers I have ever had. The fact that a friend took time out of her journey to visit her friend to pick it up for me certainly makes me appreciate it more, but, if I see this on the shelves of any local stores, I'll be picking up a few bottles to cellar for special occasions.

4.67/5  rDev +20.1%

this beer is out of this world!

the smell is absolutly intoxicating, very potent even through a stuffed up nose!

the taste, is something else, you can really detect the burboun in this beer, very evident throughout the entire experience! drink it slow, love it more.

it had a balanced feel to it, even though i did think the burboun was a little strong, the oak character really made for a nice lasting flavour even after swallowing.
top notch

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

Odell Bourbon Barrel Stout, 22 oz bomber: An outstanding achievement in beer! Start with a beautiful bottle and label. Get out the wire clippers to remove the cork cage. Pour. I let the Bourbon Barrel Stout settle for a few minutes. It has a huge head that forms a surreal cloud like formation atop the black stillness of the body. The aroma is very smooth, mostly vanilla. The flavor is not big and brash as some stouts go, it is smooth and well balanced. Is it a stout? A porter? A Belgian double? All of these thoughts come to mind. Whatever you decide, the flavor is amazing and the brew is very drinkable. Be sure to buy a second bomber or you will wish you had.

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

This is a bottle I bought in Colorado for $14.99. Casper now has a couple of cases and they are going for $15.49. Either one is a good value for 750ml bottles of these fancy BB Stouts that seem to be all the rage these days. Of course, good value is in the eyes of the beholder and depends heavily on how good the beer is. I shall see....

After removing the cage and cork, I get a "mild" pop, so I pour the beer and get, what looks to be, a pitch black brew with a very impressive 2 finger head of billowy tan foam. I'm using my NB goblet and when a brew is this dark, I hold the glass up to the light to see if there's any colour variance near the stem of the glass. I don't see any red hues but I'm still not sure if this is pitch black or not. Enough ranting on that...

First whiff and wow. Big note of bourbon starts things off with an almost equal nose of vanilla. Those 2 dominate so much, I'm having trouble trying to pull anything else out. Yeah, some alcohol is also near the forefront but I was looking for more but I still hold the nose of this Imperial Stout in the highest regard.

The taste is very bourbon forward as well with vanilla notes that are delightful. Hmmm....now some light coffee flavour is becoming noticeable as well as a nice sweetness that smacks of chocolate.

I started this session off with the bottle near room temp, you know, so I wouldn't "waste" any of this liquid during the normal warm up that occurs if I pulled it straight out of the fridge. That usually pays off for me and I think it has done it again. Oh, and to go off on a tangent for a moment, I'm looking at my glass and the lacing is superb.

The mouthfeel is close to full with a light level of carbonation...perfection? In my book. I think if there was more fizz, I wouldn't be as happy a camper.

Drinkability? The abv, which I haven't addressed "directly" yet though bourbon forward might be a clue, is hidden so so but in all honesty, it's not a super hot warming that I'm getting so I can't really complain about it too much. Not when the flavours and smells and look of this beast are keeping me happily satisfied, not to mention how smooth of a mouthfeel it has. I think Odell has hit the ball out of the park with this beauty and I'm so glad I have the other bottles I bought in CO and now have access to it locally. A...wonderful...brew..!

Edit: I found the cork pretty easy to remove on the bottle that I've had. I've had some corks on other brewers' bottles that I've had to use a cork screw on!

4.64/5  rDev +19.3%

had to check this one in my suitcase to bring it back from boulder, CO and boy was it worth it!

this poured out a dark black with a frothy tan colored head

the aroma of this beer could be smelled before you even put your nose up to the glass. the main feature in this is obviously the bourbon and with that came some oak and vanilla notes. behind that is chocolates both bittersweet and a more subtle milk chocolate. there is also a good amount of toasty and more burnt black malts.

the taste what wonderful, this beer exceeded my expectations and was full of oaky character and a rich bourbon smokeyness. there was a softer vanilla and dark sugar taste in there that helped balance the bite of the bourbon and a warm boozeyness that was jsut plain welcome in this beer.

the beer finished out with a lingering bourbon and oak character and a warming efect on the chest. this beer was wonderful if you like bourbon and maybe even if you don't!? this showcases what a good bourbon barrel stout should taste like and i wouldn't hesitate to get another of these....if only they sold them in montana :(

4.64/5  rDev +19.3%

1st of all wow my hat goes off to you odell i am impressed

pitch black great just that way this style of beer should look the head is tan could be a bit darker the smell is great vanilla, oak, bourbon and sweetness like dark fuits. the taste wow a bourbon explostion tones of vanilla oak and tannens also drak friuts and some choloate delictious the carbonation a great not to stong but just enough to tickle the tounge phenomanle the drink is great for a bourbon stout and as fresh as it is there is relivaly no booze it is just geat

i cant wait to see how this beer ages im sure it will be great

4.63/5  rDev +19%

Pours black without being oily or heavy with a light brown head.

Very clean nose, which I think sets this one apart. Rich and bourbony with chocolate and coffee. Very well rounded.

The flavor has a fair amount of chocolate, the whiskey flavor comes in about mid-palate with a dry coffeeish finish.

So clean, soft and smooth. Just a wonderful experience for anyone who loves bourbon barrel stouts.

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Big want here I get to check off, that always makes for a good night! Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 11/12/2009.

The pour was huge, jet black with a big tan head that rose up nearly three inches across the top before finally settling down. Nice side glass lacing as webs of tan stretched out across it. Aroma is rich with notes of vanilla, woody tones, coffee, molasses, hints of cherries or dark fruit coming through now as well as warms, and as it hits room temp, the coffee really shines. Nice feel here, lots of carbonation lets the flavor really pop for me. Smooth, and subtle vanilla tones turn to coffee and hints of light hops, especially in the finish with a nice touch of dark fruit thrown in. The alcohol was totally absent for me here, really well done.

Overall this one was intresting and not at all what I was expecting. More in line with a belgian style stout it had the huge carbonation and nice use of fruit in it. I really enjoyed it through and was glad to be sipping on it tonight for sure.

4.59/5  rDev +18%

750 ml poured into a redoak glass

A-- Cork was a pain in the butt to get off! Poured a jet black with a 1/2 inch of head, a light brown color. Left a little bit of lacing on the glass. Not a lot of carbonation

S-- Bourbon forward. Either that or I need to drink more bourbon! Next is the vanilla and then the sweet milk. Very impressive in the smell catagory.

T-- Same as above. Bourbon, sweet milk, vanilla, and chocolate. Very well balanced and in a lot of ways each ingredient gets its chance to stand out alone. Impressive.

M-- Full bodied yes, but still creamy, rich and stands out. A decent amount of carbonation in the mouth but the flavors really take shape well. At the very end and once the beers warms up a bit you do get an alcohol burn. Small one though.

D-- Scary, scary, and scary. Very drinkable for a 10.5%. Without the bourbon this would be an awesome sweet stout. With the bourbon it is still awesome, even though I am not a fan of bourbon. That said opnce the beer warms up the bourbon becomes much more apparent. Excellent beer. Why Odell's has been my favorite brewery for a long time! Will also add it might be a good idea to cellar this baby. It will get much better in time.

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours near black with a silky tan head. Excellent lacing and retention.

Nose has Bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, roasted malts and ripe pitted fruits.

Well balanced flavor profile has whiskey, wood, cocoa, molasses, vanilla, dark fruits and espresso.

Creamy body is nicely carbonated. Just a bit thin for the style. One of the best beers to ever come out of Odell.

4.55/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Loud cork pop after it was really hard to remove. Deep black pour a half inch of cocoa foamy head on top. Dark brown highlights. Aromas of smooth dark malts with cocoa, vanilla and wood. Coffee undertone melds with a sweet bourbon accent. Caramel with a hint of toasted coconut. Very nice.

First sip brings smooth, creamy dark malts with powdered cocoa and caramel swirls. Toasted coconut and vanilla meld with a lovely, yet not overpowering oak and bourbon flavor. Flows down easy. Bourbon is just right and not overwhelming in the least. Super smooth with no trace of 10.5% ABV.

Smooth, not too heavy, easy drinking. A damn fine bourbon stout to be had here from Odell. Would love to have this again sometime as it's just about perfect. Seek this tasty brew out.

4.55/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I believe the technical name is Buffalo Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout as the barrels the used are from Buffalo bourbon whiskey casks. Sampled at Odell's, the appearance is a rich midnight black color. A frothy darker tan head with great retention and lacing throughout the tasting.

The nose is rich with malt and bourbon notes. Some really nice malt sweetness backing and noticeable chocolate and a hint of roast. A creamy almost oatmeal in aroma. The bourbon is subtle but easily detectable. Some noticeable yeasty notes that I get with all Odells beers, but in addition some alcohol notes but everything is blended nicely.

In the taste, the malt really takes over as the bourbon/cask notes are limited. To start a big malty backing comes out on par with a Imp Stout. The chocolate notes come out first but is balance then buy some roast and kettle melanodian notes. The chocolate malt flavor really lingers into the finish, but not strong in astringency. Some minor spicy notes and textures that I associate with oats. There are some nice wood notes and every once in a while a nice bourbon note really comes out but subtle mostly. Would like to have more of the wood/whiskey notes come out overall. Very clean in yeast though.

The body is on par with a Imp Stout as well. Big malt flavors with some minor alcohol heat notes. Some very nice smooth textures with only a minor astringent kick. The carbonation has a almost nitro effect which helps smooth everything out.

Overall a very tasty and savory beer. This is one of those beers you sit and enjoy for a long time.

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a glass.

A-the beer was black with no light penetration possible with a dirty brown head forming.

S-slight mslt, with oak and vanilla dominating. Very nice!

T-the oak and vanilla nose come through in the taste just as powerful. Bourbon is slight with a little malt to smooth it out.

M-smooth, almost a little creamy, aveage carbonation.

D-very drinkable. The abv is well hidden in the flavors which could cause tis beer to go down to easily.

Well done brew that I would definately have again!

4.52/5  rDev +16.2%

This beer has been contaminated to the point where all the bottles from batch 1 and batch 2 have been pulled, and I've now let down a number of traders, and well ... shit. This beer, has really pissed me off this year.

Having gone to the brewery to rectify things on behalf of myself, and 2 trading partners who I sent lactomyces infected brews to, I noticed they had this on tap, and got a taster as part of the co-pilot flight.

Everything in my being wants me to revolt against this beer, to hate it. But alas, it's f***ing good, and as such, this infection is so much the more depressing. Goddammit Odell.

:: sigh ::

Here we go ...

L: Darkest beer I've seen in a while. Good head, looks thick.

S: Bourbony, but not overpoweringly so. Fades quickly into a bittersweet.

T: Phenomenal balance. Seriously. It's a toss-up between this and Silva from Green Flash as to which is better balanced. Beer stands up tremendously well to the bourbon. Good mellow bourbon-sweet finish, big malty middle, and good tower of bourbon up front. This is how Odell makes a BA Stout, subtly ... to contrast this with FBS or Avery BA stuff demonstrates what I mean perfectly ... if you know what I mean.

F: Thick and perfectly carbonated. Perfection, seriously.

D: Yay for my mouth, and sadness for the world, SmokePot23, and Handle (my trading buddies).

I would like it on the record that I tried to get growlers of this, and they don't allow it. So sorry to everyone outside of the extremely limited keg distribution radius of this beer, this thing is phenomenal this year.

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #34 (Nov 2009):

Black as a witch's feline familiar. Surprised at the head retention, as so many barrel-aged beers lose their heads quickly ... not here. Toasted wood, deep-roasted grain, caramel, faint vanilla and black currants flaunt an impressive aroma. A little velvet in that smoothness, the dry palate shows its fluffy medium body. Boozy up front with an initial blast of fusel alcohol, it fades quickly to let in the wood, vanilla and caramel flavors. Maltiness unveils a solid foundation for the complexities to perch on; even with its dryness and an unwavering barrel flavor, it stays true to its beery nature. Some warmth in the finish, with some residu- als as well, but it lands pretty dry for the most part.

While it is usually pleasing to have the overly sweet, barrel-aged Stouts, we prefer a drier and more drinkable version.

From tasting notes:
I have been most found of this brew of all the Odell single batch series.
A: A deep, cloudy appearance. With excellent head retention and lacing, there could not be a better stout.
S: The notes at the time are a Nuclear Chocolate aroma, with a high intensity. This is the grand pooh-bah of all bourbon stouts.
T/M: A full bodied taste and mouthfeel. This is a bourbon blast, notes from a more mellowed out BBS, but when first released, this was almost too strong on the bourbon side, now a very nice and approachable Bourbon stout.
D: Lower on the drinkability side due to the thickness and after a taster, I feel that I could do more but not with ease or want. A unbelievable brew, but for sharing thats for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours dark brown to nearly black with an inch of tan head that recedes to a thin layer of foam across the surface of my entire tulip glass. Smells terrific - milk chocolate, bourbon, and vanilla. Tastes that way too. Bourbon and oak flavors are integrated well without dominating this brew. Fairly sweet, but not like an Expedition Stout or Darkness by any means. Body is medium, and I could see some folks criticizing this as being too thin for their taste (based on the criticism I've seen of Black Ops). Carbonation is fairly high. Not sure if this is force carbed or bottle conditioned. Bubbles are fairly fine and soft, a little like Black Ops' champagne yeast. Very nice brew from Odell. Glad to see them bottle a second adventurous beer (on top of Woodcut). Hopefully we'll see more interesting stuff from Odell soon.

Bourbon Barrel Stout from Odell Brewing Company