Friek - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Oxymoron on 10-08-2009

Kriek Lambic blended from three different aged beers up to 2 years old, aged in Woodcut barrels.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Friek Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -2%

493rd review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
750 Ml C/C

Split 4 ways for Bottle 1 of 5 for Birthday dinner.

App- A very bright and crisp red. A nice 1/2 finger of head formed which I wasn't expecting. No lacing on this one either.

Smell- The crispy, tart cherries and a little vinegar. I was hoping for a bigger fuller boquet. Not too bad.

Taste- Very oaky with the spritziness of the cherries and raspberries. A bit smaller than I thought it would be without a little water in the taste as well.

Mouth- A very light bodied beer with a high carbonation level. A little bit of bubbles dance on the tounge.

Drink- This was a perfect way to start a tasting event. It was light, tasty and sweet. Not over done or underdone and was pretty tasty.

4.01/5  rDev 0%

Appearance is a mury and cloudy reddish brown, almost copper colored (think like an old penny, not like a new penny). Head dissipates pretty quickly, leaving a small amount of bubbles that circle the glass. Tart cherry aroma explodes throughout the aroma, with familiar and yet complex hints of oak and sour funk. Aroma is definitly a highlight of the beer. First taste is sour fruit, as the sour raspberries and cherries really stand out. As your palate adjusts you can start to pick out the fruit notes, which really work well. Oak finishes. This beer could use a little bit more complexity in the finish, as it goes straight from sour fruit to the light oak finish. Sourness is abrupt at the beginning but fades as you continue to drink it. Mouthfeel is very full bodied and the carbonation is relatively light. This means the beer kind of melts off your tongue as you drink it. Not sure if there's such a thing as an easy drinking sour, but if there is, this beer would likely be it.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

vintage 2011

pours a slighty dirty and quite murky ruby. very little head on this.

on the nose, you'd think think would be quite sour. lots of lemon and cherry with a slightly lighter raspberry. nice amount of oak.

not quite as sour as it smells but nice and tart with a subtle pucker. a perfect balance of cherry and raspberry. loads of fruit flavor. nice amount of oak towards the finish.

although there is no head, nice amount of tingle in the mouth. drinks very easy not really dry at all.

i was impressed with this. i hope odell continues with lambics.

4.14/5  rDev +3.2%

Thank you Jim (RatedZ) for sending me two bottles of this, #2 will be aged to see how it changes.
Served from a 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Very murky when poured from the bottle, wasn’t expecting that. It’s in between a strawberry color and a plum color but very murky/hazy. Carbonation was present, but wasn’t enough to develop a head, did leave some lacing on the glass.

S: Cherry smell dominate the nose over the raspberry, maybe next time you a different variation of raspberries and it might add more to the nose. Also some funk and oak smell, mixed with a dominating sour/acidic smell, so I would call this sour cherries over all others.

T: The Cherry and Raspberry blend in a ballet of flavors that dance on the tongue and make this very enjoyable. The cherry again dominates over the raspberry, but its there just not as forth coming. The tartness in this is there and really makes you pucker. There is some oak and funk also in this. Can’t wait to see how this age.

M: Medium, but thicker than expected, this is one of my first Lambics, but it really steps up to the plate and is a home run. Could be a little more carbonated though, but I’m not complaining.

O: This was an experience, and for my first Lambic I was really impressed. Odell’s is really onto something here and they seem to consistently produce better and better beers. They continue to impress me.

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured on 4/23, from notes

Holy crap, I needed a wine opener to pull the cork on this.

Pours a murky red/orange. No head. Uh-oh...

Smelled just like I was hoping. Very sour. You can faintly catch hints of the barrel, but the cherries are probably the most upfront.

Taste is about the opposite. Tastes like cherries and the oak barrel blended very nicely, but not really tart at all.

Mouthfeel, I would like it have been a bit more carbonated, but it did fine. Smooth, easy to drink.

Overall, I am glad I traded for this, but wouldn't try to get one again. Worth the effort in a fair trade I'd say.

2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

Bottle from awesome girlfriend, from some place in Sioux falls...
Cork takes a LOT of work to pull out which usually is a bad sign, and sure enough, pour is dead. No carbonation. I am so Damn tired of the flat beers lately.
Smell is really sour... cherry and a bit of oak, but this smells really sour.
Taste is really watery... cherry comes through a bit, nice oak flavors coming through. The sour is not really as strong as the nose would let on. It is kind of disappointing. Raspberries are faintly present. Overall this is a bit of a disappointment. I was really interested in this, but just... Meh.

3.89/5  rDev -3%

750ml into a Russian River goblet.

Pours dark ruby red with a fizzy head that disappears almost instantly. Looks more like cherry cola than beer.

Smells funky and fruity. More raspberry than cherry, with a little wood mixed in for good measure.

Taste is a nice mellow tartness. Slightly funky with really nice fruit flavors balancing out the tart. This is a very good tasting beer.

A little thin and fizzy in the mouth. Appropriately dry, but not quite substantial enough to be great.

Overall, this is a really nice American made fruit Lambic. I like.

3.17/5  rDev -20.9%

Odell's latest single bottle offering Friek, has all of the right intentions, but doesn't quite deliver.

This beer comes in a champagne style bomber that is slightly different than their usual offerings. The label is pleasant enough with subtle lettering flanked by the fruits used in it's brewing process. It claims to be an oak-aged ale brewed with cherries and raspberries. Sounds right up my alley.

The pour into my Belgian tulip is encouraging, deep ruby color with slightly pink head that dissipates quickly. The distinctive lambic/sour cherry smell fills the air above my glass.

The taste is somewhat pleasant, relatively tart (cherry) up front with lingering sweetness as a backbone (raspberries). The mouth-feel is quite thin and it feels as though each mouth-full never quite materializes. There is something incomplete about this beer and it was not quite what I was expecting. Definitely worth trying (although the price tag is quite steep), but not one of the finer examples of the style.

Is it a beer, a wine, a malt beverage, what??? When I read about this one, I knew my wife would be a fan. Unfortunately, i couldn't find any in the area until on a random trip to the liquor store I saw a bottle hanging out on the back counter all by itself. To my wife's joy, it was not claimed and came home with us.

Once poured into our Lost Abbey tulip glasses, we were very impressed with the color and smell. My wife was very excited because it did not smell like beer and had a very fruity promise. I was slightly more reserved. The color is very different and left me not knowing what to expect.

Upon first sip, I immediately puckered while my wife savored. I was not expecting the tart cherry and raspberry flavors. My wife was delighted and moved past the first sip very quickly. I continued to be unsure of what type of beverage I was drinking. My wife continued to be thrilled. She loved the blend of flavors and the tart taste. Too bad for her that we only had one bottle, and it went down quickly, mostly in her glass.

This is not a beer that I would go to on a regular basis, but I am sure my wife would if we had an unlimited supply of it!

Served in a clear plastic cup.

Thanks to mnbearsfan for sharing this bottle!

And now the true Dark Lord Day festivities can begin in earnest: the random group tastings. This product thereof pours a murky amber grapefruit juice (red, o' course) topped by a half-finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises cobwebs, oak, caramel, and black cherry. The taste holds notes of sour cherry, ruby red grapefruit, light cobweb, oak, and dank raspberries. The body is a stoic medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and an oily feel. Overall, a solid bit o' lambic, something very akin to New Glarus Enigma in taste, though the occasional pricks of tartness and cobwebs, without some sort of consistency (if that makes any sense to anyone but me, I'll be surprised), keep this from making it up to that lofty point (I really enjoyed the Enigma). Still, a tasty specimen indeed.

3.32/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured into a tulip. Big thanks to KeefD for this.

3.0 A: Heavily hazed deep amber, not quite ripe plum color. Aggressive pour yielded just a touch of head, but it fell really quickly and left no lacing.

3.5 S: The cherry sticks out slightly more than the raspberry, but neither are very intense. A decent tartness, but just a touch of acidic sourness. Somewhat grassy with a mountain stream freshness.

3.5 T: Cherry and raspberry mesh together well, but there could be some more power behind them. Only mildly acidic with a touch of acetic acid and not much more in terms of lactic acid. Any mouthpuckering comes from a cranberry-like tartness and not the sourness. The oak is surprisingly mild and there is nearly no tannic astringency. A moderate sweetness to balance out the tartness.

3.0 M: Medium body. A bit undercarbonated and the carbonation that is there needs to be spritzier. It lies a bit heavy on the tongue. Otherwise, okay.

3.0 D: I'm not really that impressed with this one, especially given the high price tag. I would have preferred a much bigger fruit component, with a "buggier" base beer.

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%

Picked this up at Macadoodles in Jane, MO...

Opens with barely a pop, pours a dingy brown with minimal ivory colored head, doesn't last at all.

S: Sour cherries not much else

T: Follows the nose, raspberry tartness, some cherry sweetness as well along with dryness up front. Sourness licks in a bit more as this warms, raspberry & a touch of leather mingle with acidity, the oak aging is really asserting itself, there's a bit of figgyness as well. Finishes tart & with oaky dryness, the cherry & raspberry mix well

MF: Medium bodied, near still as far as carbonation goes, this is a bit warming at the end. Carbonation actually picks up once warmer

This is a approachable take on the style, but I expected a bit more from these Guys. Glad I got to try it, but would rather have their India Barley wine for that price.

Probably not sour enough for true sour Frieks...

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%

Found this sitting on the shelf in a little off the beaten path beer store in KC. I was pretty surprised and stoked to see it sitting there. Brought it home and threw it into the kegerator to get it down to the right temp.

Poured a corked and caged 750ml into my Hennepin globe. This beer pours a blackberry purple with a decent 2-inch bubbly head that quickly dissipates into nothing. No ring, no lacing but not abnormal for sours. The aroma has a lactic twang up front melting into tart berries. Both the cherry and the raspberry come through in the nose, along with a bit of oak, vinegar and just a hint of must. The flavor falls off a bit. While the fruits are still there, the tartness isn’t as sharp as it is in the aroma. The vinegar is a bit more vocal with the must and oak almost non-existent. As it warms up the raspberry comes through a bit more and lends just a touch of sweetness at the tail end of the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is great. Crisply carbonated, leaving a prickly sensation on the palate. Finishes extremely dry making the tongue almost feel stuck to the roof of my mouth. Overall I thing there is some room for improvement but it gives me hope that Odell’s could become of the better and more consistent sour producers in the US.

Bottle. Poured into a Duvel glass a murky, deep ruby color with a white head that quickly settles to form a tiny collar. Tart cherry in the nose right off the bat followed by a slight funkiness. Light/medium mouthfeel with carbonation. Very sweet upfront with both cherry and the raspberry fruit flavors but then transtions to a sour/tart funkiness, not overly funky but there. I find myself rather surprised how well I like this beer. I would for sure drink this again and am glad I have a second bottle to cellar.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

2011 Vintage

A= Pours a deep bright amber color. Really bright for such a deep red color. The head is a nice looking pink color with a thin finger of head that falls fast and leaves no lacing.

S= Smells slightly sweet, mostly sour, and a little funky. The oak comes through a suprising amount. The sour fruit comes through quite well but not as individual character. It's sort of a total fruit note.

T= The taste is quite nice. Really well balanced as far as sweet and sour goes. I would say the rasberries dominate the fruit note in the flavor compartment. Oak is still present with the wood notes and maybe minimally in some vanilla notes. The funk is present in a nice way complimenting the sour notes prefectly. Excellent taste.

M= Nicely carbonated with some thicker body with a champagne like zest.

O= Great brew. Worth checking out for sure at the price point you can't find too much better. Great balance and easy to drink. I'll be picking up a few more bottles if I can find them.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to kbulter1 for sharing this one!

Poured into duvel chalice.

Pours a finger of pink hued white head that fades to a ring. Color is a bright raspberry ruby red.

Aroma: Fresh rasperries, oak, sourness. Fresh and fruity. Still funky.

Taste: A bit sour with a light about of tartness. Oaky with a touch of spices. The raspberries are fresh and provide a layer of fruitiness and tartness. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends clean.

Overall, this was a really nice sour. I was shocked by this one after having Odells first sour. This was a lot better. Really drinkable as well. Good flavors. Good stuff.

3.96/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a goblet

A: almost no head, dissipating almost immediately. A somewhat murky ruby color

S: Mouthwatering cherry, a little vinegar

T: About the same as the smell. A fairly pure cherry flavor, with a little vinegary tartness. Not overly sour.

M: light body with low carbonation. Lingers for quite a while, literally making my mouth water, making me eager to go back for another sip.

O: Entirely pleasant, not overly sour, not overly complex. Not a top tier beer, but there's also nothing I can find to complain about.

4.24/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: A hazy red-plumb color, no real head formation; not quite the brilliant shade in a Lindemanns.

S: Smells is really nice. Sour and funky. Getting both the cherries and raspberries.

T&M: Taste has a big initial sour zing, which is nice. Big sour cherry/raspberry flavors coming through with a good Brett funk thrown in the mix. Carbonation is adequate, but I’d like it to be a bit more effervescent; body is low-medium and fine. Has a nice lingering aftertaste. There is a slight touch of oak floating throughout and it adds a good bit of sweetness.

O: Pretty darn good beer here. Not quite as candy-like delicious as Lindemans Frambois, but it makes up for it with depth and neat Brett funk. Wish it were more affordable, as this is something I could enjoy frequently on a hot afternoon.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

750ml bottle from Supermarket Liquors in Ft. Collins, around $17. Into an Odell Flute/Tulip.

A: Pours a nice red color that verges on brown, a light pink head develops and recedes almost just a fast, no lacing to speak of. A ton of carbonation moving through the glass. Looks like a pretty active beer.

S: Fairly fruity, much more a cherry note than anything else with raspberry playing second fiddle. Decent amount of oak barrel starts to show up. Not quite as funky as I had hoped for but still has a nice hint of funk. Smells nice though.

T: A nice mix of fruit, oak, funk, and sourness. I like how the cherry flavor does not ever verge on medicinal, just a nice fermented out tart cherry profile with a nice raspberry flavor that emerges about mid swallow. Not an insane funk or sour bomb, but it is pleasantly tart and has a great fruit flavor. Very nice.

M: Definitely overcarbonated, which is kind of a bummer, the finish is tart and acidic and dry. Not super puckering but there is definitely a bit of a pucker factor.

O: Not a bad effort from Odell, I have really enjoyed this beer. Nice flavors and a good intro to sours for the uninitiated. I'm glad I have another bottle to lay down and let age, because I think this will continue to get funkier as it ages.

a: served in a nonic half-pint, the beer is a darker red in color with some brown tones, just a slight smattering of head

s: a simple malt body keeps boatloads of genuine cherry on the surface, sweet and nicely tart at once, raspberry lingering beneath, subtly but pleasantly oaked with a very low hop presence, smells good

m: carbonation is lively and sparkling, lighter in body with a slight sugary slickness

t: the malt body is fairly benign - clean and crisp pale or pils malts it seems, the front half of the tasting experience is comprised of sweet red fruit, cherry seems dominant, with a moderate tart side coming out after the swallow, delicate oak flavors pull through late, aged hop flavors at a minimum, dries quick to a nice tartness in the finish

o: really nice framboise/kriek hybrid, showcases the fruit well and doesn't drink too heavily despite its sweetness, not the most balanced or complete example but certainly worth the pour

draft at the brewery taproom

3.65/5  rDev -9%

Notes from 2.27.2011. Split bottle 5 ways.

Pour from bottle to Odell tulip nets a fizzing 1 finger pink head over a raspberry hued body that vanishes all to quickly and leaves spots of lacing.

Rather tart and dry. Dominating cherries with a touch of funk, a little like red wine, but that's likely the oak character. In addition the aroma seems a little abrupt, after the cherries and slight wood tones there' not much else here.

Cherry dominant just like the nose, flashes slightly sweet and ends tart and dry, on the finish the oak barrel character shines through with some vanilla and more wood. The tartness seems to come all from the cherries. There seems to be very little raspberry in this, perhaps a note or two on the drink when the sweetness is most prevalent.

Bubbly, somewhat active carbonation with a light refreshing body. Dry finish from the wood after a large flash of tartness leaves acidic feeling in the mouth that draws on for a while. I was a little bothered by the acidity, reminiscent of morning dry

The wood aging adds some pleasant flavor to this lambic evening out the tartness some and adding complexity. I was a bit disappointed in the lack of raspberry in the flavor profile. Nice to try but I feel a little cheated by the $18 price tag.

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Very bright red color with a pinkish/reddish head retention that dissipates too quickly. A little lacing on the glass.

S: Nice cherry aromas along with tart notes, primarily of cherries, raspberries, with a hint of oak. The cherries are on the sweet side compared to other lambics.

T: The most surprising aspect of the taste is that this beer isn't very sour. It's definitely tart but not overly sour. It's very well balanced and has outstanding flavor notes from the cherries. Almost like consuming a tart cherry pie. The oak provides a nice note with the cherries. I really enjoyed this beer and am glad I got a bottle of it.

M: Medium in body with a soft touch on the palate.

O: Very solid beer. I enjoyed it after I wrapped my head around it. I expected a more sour beer after smelling the nose, but this beer was more sweet with a mixture of tartness. I'm excited to drink the bottle I purchased and hope it's similar to what I had on draft. I would definitely recommend this beer to others who like creative beer or softer lambics/sours.

Thanks for sharing this, Tim.

A: This beer is an incredibly vibrant red color with a minimal off-white head forming and dying away quickly.

S: Certainly smells kriek-like. Nice cherry aromas along with a mild funk, primarily of oak and grass. Some wet/dampness to the oak aromas. The cherries are a bit on the sweet side, but there is a nice acidity.

T: Semi-sweet/cherry pie-like, but there is a nice tartness which is fairly refreshing. Plenty of cherry flavor with only a minimal amount of funk. Still, some oak is there and helps to provide a bit of dryness.

M: Medium in body with a somewhat soft carbonation.

O: Solid beer overall, could have used a little more tartness, but it was good.

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a dark cranberry with a pinkish head that fades fast; not much of a head like many lambics.

Nose is a very assertive rich sour cherry, raspberry. Very true to the fruit and not that synthetic "surgar free" sweetener smell some fruit beers seem to have. Light wood comes through on the nose as does a bit of wine vinegar.

Mouthfeel is rich, bold and very well balanced. Carbonation is good and does not have heavy big bubbles which really helps a beer like this shy away from the "soda pop" character it could easilsy have because of the big fruit.

Flavors of sour cherry and big rasberry with hints of cocoa and a lime acidic charcter dominate. Again, you get the barrel with nice balance. Tart but not as tart or sour as I expected (or wanted.)

This is another really nice effort from Odell and actually one that may be worth watching age for a year or so.

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from 750ml bottle into red wine glass at Euclid Hall.

A: Pours a dark granite red with cranberry colored head. Head recedes very fast and is hard to get back. Carbonation is quite lively and robust.

S: Tart cherries and raspberries unfold with hints oak and balsamic. Intense and delicious is what this beer screams.

T: Huge tartness, not sourness. Cherries are dominate and the raspberries mellow it out. The oak is very present but it's not out of place. Very invigorating. Touch of sour but way more tart than sour in my opinion.

M: Medium bodied but lightly coats the palate. Back of palate really gets working with the tart fruit causing you to salivate from each sip. The finish is smooth and lingers.

D: Great beer by Odells. Definitely one of the best I've ever had by them. While I expected sweeter fruit and more sour, it was the opposite and I liked it. Balanced softer fruit with more tart notes. Great summer beer, first beer, or desert beer.

Friek from Odell Brewing Company