1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Saboteur - Odell Brewing Company

SaboteurSaboteur

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Oxymoron on 04-23-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saboteur Alström Bros

SIEVS, Feb 08, 2012

olympuszymurgus, Jan 06, 2013

XmnwildX12, Dec 14, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -42%

OnWisconsin, Feb 24, 2014
2.33/5  rDev -39.9%

Thanks to d4radio for the bottle!

Pours a deep murky brown with a huge light tan head that's pretty foamy. Good retention.

The strongest smell I get is sour cherries. Can definitely tell there is some maltiness to this and lots of brett.

Starts out with some oxidized caramel sweetness. The brett takes over and adds a sour note although just general sourness, not the cherries from the nose. Finishes slightly earthy and bitter with a touch of oak. Sourness is very minor.

Lots of carbonation. A little too much really with a medium mouthfeel.

Odell missed the mark on this one. The flavor profile completely clash and it ends up just tasting like the one time my homebrewed brown ale got infected. The sourness does not at all complement the base beer in this case. Slightly better as it warmed, but still really difficult to get through a glass.

jmarsh123, Feb 12, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

jophish17, Jan 20, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

coreyfmcdonald, Jan 22, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -34.8%

At first I just marked this as a had and gave it a 2.

But I decided that I would expand to write a full review. Had this bottle about a year. I could not finish the bottle.

Cracked it open and it smells very musty. Not really appealing to me. Overally funky. Damp wood scents come through as well.

Pours dingy brown abundant white, foamy head. And tastes very funky a little sour. The flavors comming through are musty, sour pineapple. Seems to be some off flavors comming through that were not completely intentional.

Poured out much of the bottle.

Powderhornphil, Jan 26, 2013
2.59/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Thanks to Jeff for the bottle share. It pours a deep, deep, burnt-brown color, almost appearing pitch black once it finally makes it to the glass. It's completely opaque, capped off with a thick and lasting, foamy tan head; it's huge, vibrant, and leaves some nice patches of chunky lacing on its way down.

The aroma is pretty enigmatic; a mild fruity and heavily floral mixture, bombarded with a slew of many, many other things. Mild cocoa powder, vanilla hints, plums and dates, licorice, dry oak, weird spices like sage or coriander, and a hefty dose of cheese-cloth funk, moldy hay, and horsey barnyard. Doesn't smell very tart, mainly just floral and funky. Not bad, but really, really weird.

Some roast and chocolate exhibits the first sip; this beer is surprisingly not sour at all. I kind of went into thing expecting something along the lines of a Flanders Oud Bruin, a la La Folie, but I was quite mistaken. The flavor profile is more strange and weird than the aroma, and I already know I'm going to have a difficult time describing this one.

Earth, dirt, deep black licorice, heavy perfume and florals, laced with rotten cherry, wet and moldy wood, funky cheese, sweat, horseblanket and musty cellar, and a touch of pineapple from the Brett. Unabashed funk, to an unnecessary degree. This beer is not very good, and as it got warmer, it only got worse. The funk leaves a pretty rough aftertaste and makes this beer hard to drink.

The problem is the lack of balance. All funk and pungent, perfume-like floral notes combine on your palate to form the worse aftertaste imaginable. Where is the tartness that everyone else seems to pick up? Medium bodied, ample carbonation, and a someone oily and sticky mouth feel. I tried to like this beer, and it sounds like something I'd love, but it's just a rambling attempt at a Bretted brown and actually pretty difficult to finish.

tectactoe, Jun 14, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Enormous head, not really any lacing. Dark mahogany-amber pour.

Smell: Off diaper element and a metallic twang. Behind that lots of dark fruits and brown sugar.

Taste: Again, by the diapers and a metallic twang, with buttery chardonnay elements, dark fruits, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar. Slightly sweet with tons of malt. Very messy and muddled.

Mouthfeel: Slightly aggressive carbonation; medium body.

Overall: Definitely some off flavors in this one; not my favorite AWA

craytonic, Mar 28, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

The latest release. Even after chilling the bottle this was an explosive pour. Tulip was filled with foam. It took a long while before the foam settled to a thick cap. Curtains of lace is left on the glass. The liquid is a dark brown once it forms. Annoying pour throughout the bottle.

I smell wood. Not oak neccessarily, but decaying wood. I also get some mint and herbal elements. Not what I was expecting.

About the only exciting thing about the flavor of this beer is the woody flavor. And that is not all that impressive. It is earthy, I'll give it that. Very herbal and medicinal.

Seems the carbonation lost all its pop in the foam during the pour. It does nothing to really improve the body. The body is moderate in heft.

Another disappointing beer from Odell in the large format. I think I am done spending good money on these beers as I do not think I have enjoyed a one.

morimech, Feb 19, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -30.4%

I really wanted to like this beer but just did not. I love almost everything in Odell's line and love experimental beers and am into sours and bretts but this beer just did not cut it in my humble opinion.

Appearance- A nice dark brown color

Smell- Lots of interesting aromas but lighter than I expected. Interesting chocolate notes and some slight sour notes coming through.

Taste - Really flat in my opinion. Not super sour or brown. I just felt it was inoffensive and slightly messy. No notes really stuck out. I was pretty disappointed given how outstanding Odell's specialty beers typically are. The beer seemed at odds with itself.

Mouthfeel- Average mouthfeel not heavy or light.

Drinkability- The beer is drinkable but just not remarkable.

Overall - Fairly disappointing. I plan to buy another bottle and might revisit this review but at this juncture, I would not recommend this beer as there are more interesting and impressive sours/bretts/wilds on the market that are the same price or cheaper.

clarkm04, Aug 08, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

oldp0rt, Sep 02, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

vonnegut21, Aug 05, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -28.4%

Found this at the Rackhouse, and I've had a sample of it before from the bottle. First time seeing it on tap.
Pours a glossy dark brown with no head whatsoever. Swirl did nothing to it. Reddish highlights.
Sour cherries aroma. Not sure if this is a sour beer or not. The malt comes through, barely. Mostly this is sourness and a bit of dark fruit.
Taste doesn't have the sourness, save for the finish. All in all, it's a bit boring flavor-wise. Some flat malt here, dark fruit there. If it weren't for the sour finish and pucker, it would be dull.
Not a fan of this one. Glad I didn't pay for it.

Mebuzzard, Jul 08, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -27.1%

Picked it up on our trip up to Darkness Day and popped it open out our All Hollow's Eve tasting with the usual Chi-BA suspects.

A - A brown beer with a tan head. Moderate lacing.

S - Some oak, a lot of brett, the brown characteristics are somewhat missing.

T - I was dissappointed by this beer, as I thought it sounded like something that could be pretty good. Tasted like a boring brown with some brett added. Did not capture the interesting characteristics of each, instead was kind of bland tasting, a little sweet and somewhat milky, got worse as I continued drinking it.

M - Medium carbonation and body.

D - Not hard to drink, but I ended up dumping about 1/3 of my glass after I got bored with trying to like it. I'd pass on this one.

AgentZero, Nov 01, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured into my CCB snifter.

A- the best part of this beer. Pours dark brown in color with ruby highlights. 3 fingers of head with pretty solid retention. Nice lacing left on my glass.

A- sweet malts and some funk. Not a lot of funk. Mostly a sweet molasses. Nothing much else going on.

T- caramel, chocolate and vanilla. Maybe some toffee notes. The funk is subtle. I can appreciate where they were going here, but it's honestly a mess imo.

M- very thin. A sweet finish with little brett influence. Carbonation is good.

D- I am going to finish this bottle off. I will not revisit it though.

urwithdave, Aug 15, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -26.5%

I'm not sure how many beers I have gotten to try because of mikesgroove, but this is yet another one. Thanks Mike. 2010 bottling.

Saboteur has a dark brown body. The head worries me, because there isn't any at all; looks like a carbonation problem (it is).

The aroma has a pleasant mix of fruit, tartness and dark malts. Lemon and pineapple meet caramel and toffee.

Saboteur seems to have some potential, but the fact that it is completely flat is ruinous. As it is, there is a good bit of wild yeast (the bottle says brett) up front. The brett is surprisingly fruity and tart, featuring flavors of lemon and pineapple. Brett doesn't always produce characteristics like that, but I have run across it before and always found it to be quite pleasant. The malt profile is dark and rich, with powdered cocoa, toffee, molasses and caramel. Warming finish.

The mouthfeel is dead flat and heavy. In a word, Bad.

Saboteur was interesting enough to me that I would probably try another bottle. This bottle, however, was hard to drink due to the carbonation issues. This is a beer that seems to be fairly complex and should benefit from opening up with some carbonation. Basically, the flavors seem to be a good match, but they just don't come together when flat.

Hojaminbag, Dec 29, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -25.8%

bottle from my awesome girlfriend from some place in kansas.
Cork is a pain in the ass to pull out. I hate Pulling out the cork... I prefer to get help from the carbonation, usually it means that it is pretty flat, and initiates my disappointment... but I got a nice pop out of it, which was a huge relief.
pours a nice dark thick brown with about 3 fingers of head, not too much, not too little. I am not sure I agree with the style of american wild, as the bottle says brett barrel brown. ale... and specifically says brown ale in the description, nothing about a wild. brett does not instantly make a wild.
The head refuses to die. two fingers persist after about 5 minutes.
On the nose is actually a tinge of sour, but not too much, and actually smells like it wont taste sour. Vanilla and sweet come through on the nose as well, coming from the barrel aging.
The taste is as I expected, there doesnt seem to be much sour at all on it, but pinapple does come through, along with the vanilla and oak flavors.
drinkability is not too high, this may age well, and become more complex, but at this stage, not so much, falls a bit flat for me.

crusian, Oct 30, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -25.3%

Sampled on draft- muddled brown colour with minimal head and lacing. Nose- musty, nutty. Taste- brett flavour profile is strong, but doesn't mix well with the boozy hotness of the underlying beer. The alcohol heat was overpowering any malt subtleties. Some figs, nuts and caramel. A messy beer.

oakbluff, May 08, 2010