Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Odell DeConstruction Golden Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell DeConstruction Golden AleOdell DeConstruction Golden Ale

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 08-04-2010

A Golden Ale created by blending the final recipe with its own barrel aged pilot beers fermented with wild yeasts. Each individual barrel contributes a unique flavor from the wood chosen and the cultures resident to achieve subtle complexities that develop(ed) over time. A beer which starts sweet, filling the mouth with fruit-like esters and a mild spiciness, changing to a tart and lingering flavor reminiscent of grapefruit living amidst an earthy, citrusy hop aroma. Define flavor for yourself in this constantly evolving liquid expression.

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

2011 bottle corked and caged 750 reviewed on March 24 2011

A: Huge pop from the cork! Big carbonation here! first pour is fairly clear rich golden color big head bright white.

S: Funky wild smelling beer almost smells like brett but not the same? very good and complex smell.

T: tart pineapple with some funk along with wet hay and a great freshness. kinda seems like brett but it does seem different. there is a mustyness to the beer as well. The alcohol is well masked and I was drinking this fairly warm say 60 f

M: light to med mouth with high carbonation

O: over all a awesome beer great to pop this for a celebration a nice easy drinking beer that still retains a ton of complexity.

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Cloudy but glowing honey-gold with massive off-white head that leaves lacing splattered all over the glass.

Smell: Tart and sweet apples, lemon, banana and cherries, farmhouse funk, very light oak, and pepper.

Taste: Sweet and tart and fruity initially with apple, banana, grapefruit, peach, grapes and countless other fruits. Then a dry and musty character takes over with farmhouse funk, pepper, straw and clove.

Feel: High carbonation, rich medium body, somewhat dry finish with some residual sweetness. Quite warming as well.

Drinkability: This is an incredible ale, with elements of a Saison, a Flemish ale, Duvel and Orval. Very complex, very refreshing and very delicious. This is Odell's best beer, and one of the best beers I have had, period.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a dark golden amber color with orange hues. A ton of frothy, white head (more than can fit in a glass, this one took a while to pour). When it settles the head just stay at around a finger. Nose is very sweet and sour. Tart white grapes, apple cider, pears, sugar, a sharp tartness and not a hint of the 10.5% ABV. The taste is really complex. Honey, white grapes, tartness, sugar, crisp apples (like a Honeycrisp), pears, apricots, bready malts, yeast, a hint of clove, ginger, pineapple, papaya, grapefruit and just a little tiny bit of bitterness. The alcohol never once shows itself. There might be a little heat down in the pit of your stomach but thats it. I usually don't like golden ales but this is beautiful. I'd like to get another one and put it away for a bit and see where the yeast takes it.

I feel like this beer is damn near perfect and its not even my favorite kind of style. It has so much complexity yet its elegant and it works well with itself. Sometimes the more complex beer have flavors that fight each other, but these work so well together that I actually had trouble picking out the individual flavors I was tasting beyond white grapes and honey. I just brought some of the scores down to 4.5 because it isn't quite perfect but its about as close as most beers could dream of being.

4.66/5  rDev +14.8%

750mL corked and caged bottle (2010 version, batch 1).

Very carbonated beer, first pour into a Odell tulip fills the glass with effervescent white foam easily 5 fingers high. Next pours were much less vigorous netting 2 fingers of creamy white froth over a elegant gold body. Ridiculous retention, took 10 minutes to get the first glass filled. Leaves fluffy white lacing all over the glass.

What a nose on this, unique and complex. Immediately hit with a light amount of barnyard funk, acidity and floral fruity notes. C hops add complexity with grapefruit, orange blossom coupled with fruit complexity from the Fester yeast and wine barrels. Apple, pear, white grapes skin, lemon zest and cherry tartness. Barnyard funk and a peppery sharpness on the end. So far none of that oak, bourbon or malt bill. Still incredible.

Starts off with a bit of sweet pale malt and honey and quickly begins to set off fruit notes of green apple, pears and white grapes and funk. Evolves with less hoppiness than let off in the nose with a slight grapefruit which smooths out with a touch of vanilla and nuttiness. Finishes with a light tart kiss of cherry and lemon zest. Didn't get too much of the barrel in the flavor but the yeast and wine barrels really shine.

Carbonation is such a big player in this one, lively and even biting at times. Really helps to stir up the flavor over a medium body and well hidden alcohol.

Saved reviewing this for my 200th review on BA. Incredible beer. Wonderfully complex, balanced and comes with good memories each time I've opened one wish I had more bottles of this.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Another new 750 mL from Odell. I'll admit that $15 is a lot for a beer, especially an unknown, but it's a hellova lot easier to swallow than their $25 woodcut series.

Served cool into a NB globe (I hope nobody minds), Decontruction is a pale golden yellow-orange color with a slight haze. The head is slow to develop at first but then becomes a towering pillow of white fluffy goodness. It's very slow to settle.

Aroma is sweet and sour but mostly the former. There is a nice fruity quality that seems to be a lemon/grapefruit collaboration. A little bit of oakey chard comes through too. It's fresh and zesty - very refreshing.

Flavor is intense and unusual. It has great citrus in the same way as the aroma (lemons take a back seat to grapefruit here, though) and a nice sour/funk finish. Breaking it down, it's a great strong golden ale to start. I would love to try the base beer. Second, the oak is well-judged but that's coming from someone who really likes the subtle vanilla quality that comes from oak-aging. The bourbon is there but I never would guess that 1/5 of the final recipe came from a bourbon barrel. And finally, the wine barrel. I'd like to know what kind of wine was previously occupying these barrels but I hazard to say that it's more noticible than the bourbon and I enjoy that.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body, crisp, easy drinking, and amazing that it could ever be over 10%. The alcohol is almost hidden away under all of those flavors. This is a summer strong ale if there ever was one.

Overall a fantastic and deeply enjoyable beer. More like these, please!

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Popping the cork on this beer, I realized how much carbonation this beer actually had. After letting it sit for just a few seconds the head began to rise out of the bottle which forced me to pour the beer pretty quickly. This produced enormous head, which I think the beer would have had anyway.

As I said, very carbonated. The bubbles actually crept into my nose as I smelt and almost aerated my sinus. The head was an off white and thick. The beer is a hazy copper, which reminds me of many strong ales.

My first smell gave me the smell of pear, oak, white grapes (chardonnay possibly), apple, and possibly some berry. I cannot get the thought of Champagne out of my mind either. This is an extremely complex beer just in smell, and I feel like I am still missing some things. I also pick up a slight belgian profile, but I could be wrong. This is a very tart smelling beer, which is quite enjoyable.

My initial response to the taste is that I honestly cant put my finger on anything in particular. In comparison to the smell, the taste is quite subdued. After such a tart acidic smell, I am almost glad to have a more rounded taste. It begins tart and sweet but finishes spicy and herbal. The hops come through as a nice noble hop or earthy blend, but nothing over powering (US C hops). I pick up pear, and apple in the taste as well, but the flavor is so well rounded and developed it reminds me of a well aged wine. A really enjoyable experience.

My final reaction to this beer is that it is something everyone must try. Find it and try it. I have never had a beer like this, and I can say it opened my pallet to a new type of beer; a more sweet soft beer that really tip toes on the line of wine. I really enjoy this beer a lot, and if it wasn't so expensive, I would drink it alot more often.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. In hindsight, I wish I would have held out and let this age some more, I think it would have tamed the froth a little and made the flavors more pronounced. That being said, I'll be getting a cpl more and laying them down for later!

A- Dark reddish-orange and hazy with a ridiculous amount of frothy head, so much so that i felt it detracted from the beers appearance. Very little carbonation left in the brew, no runners bubbling up my glass.

S- Really picking up the sweet wine smell,laced in with citrus. If I could say summer had a particular smell, this is reminiscent of it for me. Evokes a good feeling.

T- The best representation of a wild ale I've had so far. Where others really have the wild yeast dominate, this one has a balance that makes it much more drinkable for me. It is sweet throughout, also somewhat peppery. Some sourness, similar to the acidity in a lemon, tangelo or grapefruit. Theres alot packed in there and its still not overwhelming, cant detect the high ABV as a result.

O- I'm very impressed. On the short list of my beers to remember this year. And I think this one will be even better when aged!

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Blind Beer #6. The bottle made a happy cork pop gun sound. Served in a goblet and shared with my wife. This couple really well with the Blue Cheese Mac I had with it.

A- 4.5 Very effervescent golden almost peach coloration to the body. The head was a thick rocky biege. Foam stuck all over the sides of my glass.

S - 5.0 Wow! I am at a loss for description. Letting this one sit a couple minutes. This is something to kick back and take my time with. The aroma is very funky. This seriously reminds of the earthy funky lactic tones of a Fantome beer. The aroma of the beer tart raisins, white grapes, oaked vanilla, a bit of pepperyness, rose petals, citrus grapefruit and sour apples swim about in my glass. This beer is very busy in a great way.

T 4.5 As mentioned above alot is going on in this glass. Everytime a taste something a bit different. The lactic tones dry out and restrain the beers sweetness. Lots of earthy tones ride along with oaked bourbon, grapes, grapefruit, sour tart apples, a nice pepperyness peaks out at the tail of the flavor. This reminds me very much of drinking GI Dominique in several ways.

M 4.5 The body of the beer is light. This may be in part due to alot of carbonation. The carbonation is almost scrubbing my palate. I am guessing this beer is around 10% but is in no way present in the smell taste or mouthfeel. I could and would session this beer all night if I could.

O- 4.5 This beer is a wonderful mess of flavor and aroma combinations! Very nice complexity weaved together to make a very great beer drinking experience.

The Reveal: Odell Brewing Co. Deconstruction. This was on my wants list. Thanks again Phelps for a great beer drinking experience.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

a big tick for me here i had been wanting to try this one for a long time and was finally lucky enough to get the opportunity. served into a snifter and enjoyed while hanging around the house last night.

the pour is a wonderful golden color that has a very lively presence throwing up tons of carbonation and a huge head that seemed to reach a height of three inches or more and dropped tons of lacing all down the sides. the aroma was a mix of everything, light citrusy hops that intermingled with a fine little sour apple funk and a quick hit of light spice that popped on the tongue, really very complex and nicely put together. warming seems to just bring out more and more of the funk as apples, pears, an nice yeasty flavors mix in and give it a very tart dryness but never push it too far in any direction. i have no clue where the abv is on this one, i drank it like it was 5 percent as that how it faired, wow incredibly well hidden,

overall i was amazed by how well put together this one was. really just a great, well balanced beer that would be a good starting point for someone looking to get into sours.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

I've had this one sitting for awhile but never had a chance to compare it to when it was new.

A: after popping the cork I knew it was going to start coming out of the bottle on me but I was ready for it. Pours a beautiful hazy orange yellow with an amply fluffy white head
S: I could smell this one when I was pouring it. Very Belgian on the nose with some spicy yeast, some fruity peach smells, a bit of light malt and some grassyness. It smells phenomenal.
T: The first thing that hits the tip of my tongue is some spicy yeast flavor that goes a bit tart, then hits sour with some fruitiness that really dominates the taste of this beer and mingles with some of the spicy yeast character. sweet and sour aftertaste that is a bit oakey and reminiscent of a Chardonnay. I think it might have lost a bit of complexity to the sour flavors that grew over time. Alcohol is well hidden
M: light on the palate with ample carbonation and is drying on the swallow
O: I'd like to try a fresher one, but after over a year this beer is tasting pretty good to me. Get it if you can find it.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a very nice strong golden color with massive orange hints. As a matter of fact its more orange with golden hints than anyhting else. A ginger pour produces a massive 1.5 inch head that is fluffy like merangue and has nice dense bubbles with some nice mdeium sized bubbles mixed around. There is plenty of sticky lacing as the head slowly recedes.

S - Strats off with some nice vinous notes and some slight funk. Great tart notes as well similar to many Lambics. There is also some sligth caramela nd some slight bourbon notes. Plenty of spicey woody aromas. Wow. Very complex and delicious nose. I cant stop smelling this beer. There is some white wine character in teh nose as well as some grassy and quite citrusy.

T & M - Wow. This beer is delicious and way complex. There are some slight sweet caramel hints as well as some sweet boozy bourbon. There are some nice woody and spicy notes oak and even cedar. Quite fruity and sweet but acidic vinous notes. White wines like Chardonnay. Nice tart notes mix very well with some awesome funk and farmhouse flavors. Both are present but not too intense. One of the most original beers I've ahd in terms of flavors. There is some nice citrus and grassy character from some nice hops. There is also nice grain and earthy malt backbone that hold all other flavors well together. I am sad I only bought one bottle of this. hope to find more. The feel is nice and complex with great body and great co2 balance with the flavors. Near perfect.

D - Very high except for the ABV and the amount of beer you get in one serving. One 750ml should be enough.

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured on tap vintage 2012, at Odell's brewpub in Fort Collins. 3-4 oz. sample. From notes.

A classic golden amber, almost hinting at bronze, with barely a white head presented. Collar always manages to stay. Clear with lively carbonation but not excessive.

Bouquet is a giant whiff of buttery oaky character. Huge buttered oak (American oak?) much like a classic booming Chardonnay with hints of honey to go with it and not a giant oak bomb. Malt presence is toned down, not particularly sour or either barnyard character either. A chard's lovers dream beer so far, extremely impressed.

Palate matches the sense of buttery richness. Malt depth carries hints of butter and lots of deep oak, and then even finishes with just a kiss of honey on the finish. An absolutely luscious and full and mellow palate, with large depth, almost getting into fatty bacon territory. Manages to even pull off just a hint of crisp carbonation ever so slightly.

A real impressive piece of work, and one unique tasting brew.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

A: As gold as the sun. Heavily carbonated.

S: Nosefeel gravitates around the fruit characteristics - Apples and Grapes. Yet notes of oak and a slight barnyard funk is present as well.

T: Pleasant carbonation fills the tongue and immediately I'm overwhelmed with the delicious complexity of this wild ale. Similar to the smell, the fruit notes are omnipresent yet its the slight oak and bourbon flavors which tie this all together. Each sip is a treat for the taste buds.

M: Delicious. Absolutely delicious. 10.5%?! Wow, I could drink this all day. As good as RR Supplication IMHO.

I've had this beer a number of times now, and each tasting I've been more and more impressed. Easily in my top 5 favorites beers.

4.51/5  rDev +11.1%

Around $15 for the wine bottle. By the wants/gots index, looks like I should have stocked up on this one. Poured into a pint glass. Great looking beer, fantastic head I gess. Nice blend of sweet, sour and funky falvors is complimented by barrels. Crisp refreshing body.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

L: Pours hazy amber under a 3” frothy cream colored persistent and clingy foam collar.
S: Fruit, vinegar, wine sour aromas, citrusy hops, traces of Brett.
T: Fruit in the peach to apricot range backed by earthy hops, alcoholic, with a background of biscuit and a moderate bitter tonic finish.
F: Creamy, medium full body, very fine, soft carbonation.
O: A very nicely done American Wild Ale.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Thank you to Richard for opening up this beer last night.

A: The pour is a nice golden orange color with a nice big white head on it.

S: An absolutely incredible amount of citrus notes come through on the nose. Lots of sweet, juicy oranges, unlike anything I've smelled in a beer before. Notes of grapefruit and pineapple come through as well. A subtle Brettanomyces aroma, not all that funky, but a bit of earth. Some light spices too, especially white pepper.

T: The intense citrus quality continues on the palate. Lots of wonderful juicy oranges, grapefruit, pineapple, and some lemons. A much more pronounced tartness than the nose would let on, and only a subtle spice note.

M: The body is medium with plenty of tiny carbonation bubbles.

D: I was not really expecting too much from this beer and it really blew me away. A fantastic beer from Odell, who keep impressing me.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Looks: clear pale dandelion yellow that deepens to a more hazy light tangerine. A two-finger, puffy off-white head sticks around for quite a while. It never really leaves, actually, becoming a small yet silky layer of film. The bubbles grip the sides of the glass with all their might, leaving big, fat walls of webbed lace.

Smells: delightfully tart. A nice brett character, balanced with oak, pine, sweet pineapples, white grapes, red apples, pears, and strawberries. It's almost like a pink starbust. The aroma strikes a perfect balance between tartness, sweetness and barrel-aging. I'm in love.

Tastes: like a better, more complex Belgian pale ale. The sour brett character is far more subdued than the nose would suggest, acquiescing instead to fruitier, sweet flavors of pears and white wine. However, there is a nice green apple tartness that grows a bit as I drink. The oak is barely noticeable, acting as a nice backbone to the sweeter flavors and spicy cloves.. The finish is ephemeral and interchangeable; at some times sweet, at others tart, at others dry.

Feels: Soft. Hard to hide alcohol in a 20-proof beer, as a bit of warmth travels down and into the chest. Fizzy, with medium carbonation. The medium body expands a bit and becomes more supple as I roll it over the tongue.

Drinks: like beauty in mathematics. With the plethora of flavors dancing about my palate, it's easy to forget that DeConstruction is a nearly 11% ABV beast. Two glasses and I was feeling mighty fine, while the beer was tasting equally exquisite. I love what Odell is doing with beer, taking experimental styles and ideas and applying them to the alcoholic world.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a murky golden color with a big bubbly foamy head. The beer is very cloudy - it looks like there is a ton of yeast in suspension in this one. Lots of carbonation as well. Nice sour barnyard funk going on in the aroma, I immediately think of brett, though I don't know if that's actually in this beer. Taste is amazingly complex. There's a lot going on. I can pick out lots of the oak, some of the bourbon barrel, and a touch of the wine barrel. Mouthfeel is fabulous. The brew just dances on your tongue, as it is very effervescent and finishes with this awesome, semi-fruity, dry sourness. There's some alcohol warmth is present as you drink the beer, though it isn't unwelcome. Complex and funky. I like it.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Last bottle of DeConstruction :( Poured to NBB globe after a day spent at the brewery (highly recommended). The beer pours from an uncorked bottle a murky yellow orange color with a nice 3 finger cream colored head. Excellent retention and lacing. The aroma is powerful and pleasant. Belgian character is first noticeable along with some earthy tones from the hops, spicy, fruit character on the back end with pear and peach tones. The beer starts with the belgian yeast flavors and quickly turns slightly tart and spicy. The malty sweetness develops and mellows the flavor. Hints of peaches, pepper, and oak. Slightly sour in the tartness. Lighter bodied with good carbonation. Finishes crisp and clean with a lingering sweet tart flavor. Overall, I enjoyed the beer very much. Sad I don't have another bottle...perhaps they will brew again!

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours out a hazy golden color into a New Belgium snifter. Three fingers of white pillow like head that lasts a while and leave nice lacing.

Smell is musty with malt sweetness. Some acidic citrus in the nose.

Taste is pretty substantial sweet candied bready malt up front which quickly is ended by sweet white grape flavor, tart funk and a lingering dryness that leaves only tartness on the palate. Very complex.

Mouthfeel is very substantial with moderate to high carbonation, not overbearing.

A really exceptional American wild. Nice complex flavors with nice attenuation and well dialed in carbonation. Enjoyable prominent flavors and a sharp tartness. Best wild yeast beer I've had from Odell.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Hazy orange/amber color. Poured a 3 finger frothy white head with excellent retention to a 2 finger rocky cap. Decanted continually. Laced teh glass in sheets.

S: Grapes, light fruit and caramel. Very complex. Notes of wet wood and caramel. A little funk.

T: Loaded with flavors. Wine/grapes up front. Middle cluttered with caramel, oak, vanilla and light colored fruits. A light yeast funk.

M: Medium body. Ample carbonation. Very dry and warming finish with a little sweetness lingering.

D: Interesting and complex. definitely a sipper due to abv but masks it fairly well.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

I had this beer at Odell's tap room, as part of their co-pilot taster series. Quite a deal for what you get, if you ask me.

Anyway, in the three ounce or so glass that this beer was poured, sat a beautiful golden beer with a ton of carbonation bubbles zipping up and a nice, creamy head. Lacing was ultra thick down the sides of the glass. This was a pretty beer to look at.

Smell consisted mostly of oaky goodness with an afterhint of sour and brett and funky goodness. I didn't smell any hoppyness to the beer, but I didn't expect to anyway.

Taste was more pronounced on the sour and less on the oak. The sour was a lot of lacto upfront, with a strong backing of brett funk. Oak also showed up, as well as a good rounding of bitterness. The taste was awesome. I overheard many people at the tap room agreeing with me.

The mouthfeel is a bit light, with a strong, crisp, carbonic bite on the back of the trough. Alcohol also contributes to the sharpness of the beer, as well as the acidic sour nature. As such, I do need to mark it down a bit on mouthfeel. That being said, it is still quite drinkable for a 10.5% wild, oak aged, golden ale. I suggest it to anyone who gets the chance to try it.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is pretty epic stuff, worth the 15 dollar price tag for sure. pours a rich autumnal red color with a tall and dense off white head last leaves pretty lacing all over the glass. the smell has a lot going on, im picking up red wine, oak, spicy yeast, alcohol, golden raisins, and something tart and puckery. the flavor is equally complex, fruity from the yeast but made almost hot on the front of the tongue from the alcohol and the funky lacto making this beer rather piquant. iver never had anything quite like this. the barrel aging does a lot of the flavor, adding some dank earthy tones and some acidic properties and fruit esters. the feel is great, fuller body for a golden ale, just layered in texture. ultra effervescent carbonation and high abv make it sting a little bit. overall one of the best odell brews out there, which is saying something, because everything they make is excellent. it went perfectly with some homemade yak sausage over smashed purple potatoes, and heirloom tomato salad, and fresh green beans. it brings summer and fall together like no other beer ive had can do. deconstruction is much more than the some of its parts, this is special liquid.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Poured out a slightly hazy, golden-orange color with a three-finger, cream colored head of thick foam. It had some nice retention and left some thin rings of lace.

S - It smelled of citrus, pine, mild funkiness and there were some fruity characteristics, too.

T - Very unique flavor - fruity and spicy, slightly sour with some sweet caramel. These flavors evolve and change in intensity as the beer continues to warm.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium to full bodied beer with a dry finish.

D - This is a really amazing beer. My favorite from Odell.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Had this at Night of the Barrels. November 5, 2010

Poured from the bottle into a tasting glass.

The smell is a little funky and has a deep woody flavor. Some nice oak flavor mixed with some fruity flavors such as apple and pear. It has a bit of a effervesce not unlike a white wine.

The taste is pretty complex, there is a hint of bourbon that goes into a tart acidic flavor that is keeping many things in check. Some herbal flavors are in the flavor profile for this beer that makes it feel quite large.

The feel of this beer is big at first but seems to let itself calm down into a mellower form. It goes down with few hitches and has a great aftertaste.

Odell DeConstruction Golden Ale from Odell Brewing Company