Odell DeConstruction Golden Ale - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 08-04-2010

A Golden Ale created by blending the final recipe with its own barrel aged pilot beers fermented with wild yeasts. Each individual barrel contributes a unique flavor from the wood chosen and the cultures resident to achieve subtle complexities that develop(ed) over time. A beer which starts sweet, filling the mouth with fruit-like esters and a mild spiciness, changing to a tart and lingering flavor reminiscent of grapefruit living amidst an earthy, citrusy hop aroma. Define flavor for yourself in this constantly evolving liquid expression.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. In hindsight, I wish I would have held out and let this age some more, I think it would have tamed the froth a little and made the flavors more pronounced. That being said, I'll be getting a cpl more and laying them down for later!

A- Dark reddish-orange and hazy with a ridiculous amount of frothy head, so much so that i felt it detracted from the beers appearance. Very little carbonation left in the brew, no runners bubbling up my glass.

S- Really picking up the sweet wine smell,laced in with citrus. If I could say summer had a particular smell, this is reminiscent of it for me. Evokes a good feeling.

T- The best representation of a wild ale I've had so far. Where others really have the wild yeast dominate, this one has a balance that makes it much more drinkable for me. It is sweet throughout, also somewhat peppery. Some sourness, similar to the acidity in a lemon, tangelo or grapefruit. Theres alot packed in there and its still not overwhelming, cant detect the high ABV as a result.

O- I'm very impressed. On the short list of my beers to remember this year. And I think this one will be even better when aged!

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance - Served in a six-ounce sampler. Was very basic looking. Dark orange/yellow. Thin head.

Smell - It smelt complex: spicy, laden with subtle fruit notes and even some belgian sugars.

Taste - We decided it tasted like bananas and whiskey ultimately. But it was very interesting for a golden ale. I would have suspected it to be an American take on a BPA or Biere De Garde if it were a blind test.

Mouthfeel - fairly pleasant, but nothing to write home about.

Overall - very interesting, complex and a traditional-ish approach to a new American style. Would order it again! (Also, it's strong as hell).

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%

750 mL bottle courtesy of skycracksopen. It was poured into my Bruery tulip.

Deconstruction pours a lightly hazy orange, with about three fingers of fluffy white foam crowning the beer. Head retention and lacing are both surprisingly good for a high ABV wild ale. The nose is highlighted by some fruity white wine aromas, with supporting notes of alcohol and cracked black pepper. The flavor profile leads off with some peach centric stone fruit notes. Some clove and pepper phenols follow, before a vinous acidity jumps to the forefront. A muted earthy funk then fades in to provide a mild finish. The body is fairly dry, especially considering the ABV. Carbonation is a little low though, leading to the mouthfeel feeling just a bit flabby. I love the idea behind Deconstruction, and the end result is a very fine wild ale.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Blind BIF 7 beer review:

Pours a dark golden color with an ample white head. 4.0
Big smell of Brett fats off the giant head. Further smelling leads to more flavors of Brett and additional light apple. Smells pretty nice. 3.5
The taste is confusing. The presumed Brett not only drives the flavor, but dries out the finish substantially. First pass, a bit of metallic joins smaller amounts of malt sweetness. More time and the beer opens up to bring more of that apple flavor, no more metallic and improved balance of sweetness. It reminds me of some odd combination of Fantome Extra Sour and Jacks Abbey Biere De Garde Brett beer. That slightly fruity sweetness that emerges over time and the (again presumed) Brett dryness are clearly not for everyone, but I am digging it as I explore further. 4.0
At first, this beer was over carbed with a medium body and some fear that I would never get through it. As its opened up, it's become highly drinkable. I am having trouble with the ABV because the sweetness that normally gives things away is covered by the dryness. 4.0
Overall, I was suspicious that this would not be all that great early, but it has really grown on me. 4.0

Reveal - Odell Deconstruction. Woah! Partially wine barrel aged blend of golden ales with "wild yeasts and lacto". The presumably white wine barrels totally threw me off. Very interesting! Thanks for the awesome start!

4.7/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a dark golden amber color with orange hues. A ton of frothy, white head (more than can fit in a glass, this one took a while to pour). When it settles the head just stay at around a finger. Nose is very sweet and sour. Tart white grapes, apple cider, pears, sugar, a sharp tartness and not a hint of the 10.5% ABV. The taste is really complex. Honey, white grapes, tartness, sugar, crisp apples (like a Honeycrisp), pears, apricots, bready malts, yeast, a hint of clove, ginger, pineapple, papaya, grapefruit and just a little tiny bit of bitterness. The alcohol never once shows itself. There might be a little heat down in the pit of your stomach but thats it. I usually don't like golden ales but this is beautiful. I'd like to get another one and put it away for a bit and see where the yeast takes it.

I feel like this beer is damn near perfect and its not even my favorite kind of style. It has so much complexity yet its elegant and it works well with itself. Sometimes the more complex beer have flavors that fight each other, but these work so well together that I actually had trouble picking out the individual flavors I was tasting beyond white grapes and honey. I just brought some of the scores down to 4.5 because it isn't quite perfect but its about as close as most beers could dream of being.

3.56/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Latest offering, I presume.

At cellar temp, the cork shot out of the bottle when I removed the cage so, watch out!

The foam goes all crazy when I'm pouring..it keeps on growing and growing. The beer looks a slightly hazy gold but it still occupies only 1/4 of the glass.

The smell has a lot of but not necessarily strong malty and tarty notes to it. Spicy too. Faint hints of Brett. 42% aged in wine barrels...I expected a stronger tart presence.

The taste is spicy, has fairly big notes of bread, some mild tartness being of the fruity kind. Big booze here. Very warming and it's going to cut the drinkability big time. Some earthy malty notes is what I'm getting now. Whoa...this is a real beast of a beer. I predict I'll need to chew on a few Tums shortly.

I say this is full bodied, carbonation is lighter than I expected after the cork shot out of the bottle.

Overall, a rather difficult beer to drink as is and imho, not one I'd see improving with age, but I could be wrong. I guess I won't find out. One and done, for me. I'll stick with The Meddler, thank you very much.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Pours a murky crimson gold, pretty still, two fingers of dense white head that laces nicely.

Rich smelling stuff - warm boozy grains, funky corn starch, pale fruits... blueberry & melon, a touch of citrus, invitingly sweet but balanced nonetheless.

When I had this last year I remember thinking it was overwhelmed by the wine barrel - not the case here. Funky hot fruits play alongside sweet bread/caramel. I actually wish there was more wine barrel here... I'd be very interested to see how this one evolves with time. Not quite enough 'wild' for my liking but still plenty of other complexities to keep things interesting.

Surprisingly drinkable, exceedingly delicate.

Odell DeConstruction Golden Ale from Odell Brewing Company