Mountain Standard Double Black IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Mountain Standard Double Black IPAMountain Standard Double Black IPA

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Black Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 11-15-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mountain Standard Double Black IPA Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

kingsuecac, Sep 05, 2014

Chilly_E, Aug 27, 2014

Dshiznit321, Aug 21, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass. This is an extremely interesting beer that crosses over different styles of beer and makes for a lovely flavor. I poured this at fridge temperature and drank over the course of half an hour to experience the flavor at different temperatures.

Appearance: At initial pour this beer has an extremely dark color with three quarters of head. It almost looks like a Russian or chocolate milk stout it is so dark. This initially intrigued me as my friend I was trying this with is an extreme fan of Russian and milk stouts. Throughout, the carbonation is medium-heavy. Some foam sticks to the glass as it is drank.

Smell: Honestly, this beer's smell has no imperfections and is one of the most pleasant to sniff. It smells hoppier the warmer it gets. Smells of chocolate and milk break through. Some malt.

Taste: An extremely tasty beer, but I do wish the hops were more apparent as it is advertised as an imperial IPA. It tastes like a Russian stout just as much an IPA, this is not necessarily a bad thing though. My friend and I both really liked this beer. He preferred it colder and I preferred it slightly warmer as I am the hop whore.

Moutfeel: I very much enjoyed the entire experience of drinking this beer. As much as I enjoyed the initial flavor and the sensation, it only got better as I drank it. The finish is perfectly smooth.

Overall: This a spectacular beer that mixes the best of the imperial IPA world with the Russian/imperial stout world. Extremely dark with only the hint of hops that one would expect. This is like a mix of Odell's Myrcenary with Lugene's. I feel like Odell should advertise this as some imperial stout IPA as that is the best description I can think of. The best food pairing I can imagine is some barbecued brisket. Fantastic beer that merged my friend's favorite flavor with mine. Highly recommend for a stout lover trying to get into IPAs.

ANiklaus, Aug 06, 2014
4.44/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Near perfect for me. I enjoy milk/imperial stouts, and I was not expecting to like this beer. The color is very dark and the head is quite nice. Smell: Notes of chocolate and milk. Again, not what I expected, but I loved it. As the beer warms to room temperature, the hoppiness of the IPA comes to the forefront. Taste/mouthfeel: This is a unique beer. At the pour, the beer was chilled and I very much enjoyed the stout-eske characteristics of malt and body. As the beer rose in temperature, I both smelled and tasted more hops, which I personally did not care for as much. My first sip was perhaps the best; the flavors all came at me in progression for a hell of a ride, finishing with the signature hoppiness of an IPA that I expected. Overall, this beer intrigued me. It strikes me as a hybrid of a stout and an IPA. I will likely try it again just for another chance to decipher all that is going on in its taste.

sheeley, Aug 06, 2014