Mountain Standard Double Black IPA - Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Black Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mebuzzard on 11-04-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mountain Standard Double Black IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 763 | Reviews: 230

Appearance: Pitch black, bone white head, good lacing.

Smell: Citrus hop aroma that reminds me a lot of Myrcenary. Slight amounts of burnt/roasted malt come through behind the hops.

Taste: Follows the nose. Upfront are the hops and following is a slight burnt malt flavor carrying the hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, good amount of carbonation. No noticeable heat from the high ABV.

Overall: If you want a hop forward black IPA then you absolutely must try Mountain Standard by Odell. In fact, if you are a fan of IPAs in general you should give this one a shot. Those guys at Odell, they know how to make an IPA.

I generally don't like stouts. They're too much of everything, and very little balance. But Mountain Standard made a believer out of me. It's strong, and hella spicy. And then the alcohol hits you. If a beer could be exciting, this is it for me. The taste will distract you from whatever else you're doing; you can't ignore it.

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

A: pour is a deep dark brown, thick one and a half finger head subsides to a frothy dusting across the surface leaving behind some light lacing

S: black currant exactly like Ribena, blackberry sorbet and blueberry muffin, Welch's concord grape juice, deliciously fruity without being too flowery and sweet.

T: so interesting, I've never tasted anything like it, burnt smoky charred 100% concord or blueberry-acai juice. Perfect balance, the smoke, bitter and floral hops and sweet roasted malts are all in sync. This may sound weird (and gross to some people) but even the burps taste great--fresh hops.

M: perfect carbonation, smooth and creamy with a creaminess that lasts and lasts without going flat. The ABV is present in that it is warming, but largely invisible in terms of

D: This is why I drink beer. Though they are hands down my favorite brewery, Odell has really outdone themselves with this one. I've never tasted anything like it and yet it is unbelievably drinkable. I'm just sad that it's over.

4.84/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass. This is an extremely interesting beer that crosses over different styles of beer and makes for a lovely flavor. I poured this at fridge temperature and drank over the course of half an hour to experience the flavor at different temperatures.

Appearance: At initial pour this beer has an extremely dark color with three quarters of head. It almost looks like a Russian or chocolate milk stout it is so dark. This initially intrigued me as my friend I was trying this with is an extreme fan of Russian and milk stouts. Throughout, the carbonation is medium-heavy. Some foam sticks to the glass as it is drank.

Smell: Honestly, this beer's smell has no imperfections and is one of the most pleasant to sniff. It smells hoppier the warmer it gets. Smells of chocolate and milk break through. Some malt.

Taste: An extremely tasty beer, but I do wish the hops were more apparent as it is advertised as an imperial IPA. It tastes like a Russian stout just as much an IPA, this is not necessarily a bad thing though. My friend and I both really liked this beer. He preferred it colder and I preferred it slightly warmer as I am the hop whore.

Moutfeel: I very much enjoyed the entire experience of drinking this beer. As much as I enjoyed the initial flavor and the sensation, it only got better as I drank it. The finish is perfectly smooth.

Overall: This a spectacular beer that mixes the best of the imperial IPA world with the Russian/imperial stout world. Extremely dark with only the hint of hops that one would expect. This is like a mix of Odell's Myrcenary with Lugene's. I feel like Odell should advertise this as some imperial stout IPA as that is the best description I can think of. The best food pairing I can imagine is some barbecued brisket. Fantastic beer that merged my friend's favorite flavor with mine. Highly recommend for a stout lover trying to get into IPAs.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

12 Ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a very dark brown with a nice tan head. As the head recedes it leaves tons of sticky lacing. This is absolutely gorgeous! 5/5

Smell - This could be one of the best smelling beers I've opened in a long time. As soon as I started prying the lid off I could already smell the DIPA smell forming. The smell is pine, pine, and more pine. If you search hard enough you can smell the wonderful roasted malts underneath. 5/5

Taste - Odell's Myrcenary is one of my favorite DIPA's and this tastes almost exactly like a roastier version of that. So much hop deliciousness in this. Highly recommended for those who like the "pine" flavor of hops. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel - Just a bit too sticky to warrant a 5, but still amazing! 4.5/5

Overall - After having "Hop in the Dark" by Deschutes, I didn't think I'd ever find a Black IPA I liked more, but Mountain Standard has proven me wrong. This is an absolutely amazing brew for those who love hops! 5/5

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A- Pours nearly jet black with a little red highlights. Has a tan head that shows all kinds of lacing but doesn't stick around for very long.

S- Roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, with a floral hop aroma also. Smells delicious, no strong alcohol presence.

T- All kinds of roasted malts, toffee, caramel, coffee, chocolate, but has a decent amount of hop bitterness to help even it out. Awesome beer.

M- Goes down very very very smooth. Not a black ipa because of the lack of hops but a great overall beer

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a super dark brown color with a bubbly light brown head.

Smell is of huge floral and citrus hops with a dark roasted malt aroma as well.

Taste is amazing, best CDA I have come across yet. Huge hops hit first followed by roasted malts and dark bitter chocolate. The hop profile here is like a Two Hearted Ale on steroids.

Mouthfeel is super smooth and creamy with medium carbonation.

Very drinkable, insanely drinkable is maybe more an appropriate description actually. Terrific beer

4.71/5  rDev +11.9%

I haven't reviewed anything in a while, but I'm enjoying this one so much I felt the need. =)

Poured into my Sam Adams glass and unfortunately shared with my husband.... next time we'll get our own bottles!

A - Dark. Super dark. Not much light getting through this one. White head and good, big bubble lacing. Not too sticky, but still clings to the glass.

S - More hops than dark roast. looks are deceiving. Looks like a malt bomb, but hello it's a double IPA!

T - Taste is also hop first. Not as much roast as anticipated. A lot of citrus and some piney hops - typical American hop profile, but not too sharp. Really balanced, but keeping it big.

M - I think this is just right for the style. It's not too light and it's not thick like the darker porter or stout it may look like at first glance. It's an IIPA! and a damn good one at that! Carbonation is another reminder that this is not as 'heavy' as it's appearance may lead you to think.

D - Much too easy for the ABV! I really must buy more of this before it's gone. I really like that this style is coming up in popularity. I'm really enjoying it!

4.71/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A delicious beer that lives up to the name IPA.
A lot of times I find Double Black IPA's a little too sweet and with the malt and not allowing the hops bitterness to come through.
Dark browns to blacks with a big head on the pour, smells of citrus and dark fruits, with a subtle flower smell, not perfume like though.
Great carbonation, the flavors come together great not what I expected from the look and nose.
As I drink, it feels light and heavy at the same time without having that syrupy feel.
I drank the first glass pretty fresh out of the fridge, I should of let it warm a little, because the second glass was amazing.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 750 mL bottle into globe.

A - Pours a deep deep brown that's almost black with a huge 3 finger tan head with great retention and solid lacing.

S - A nice blend of herbal, piney, and citrusy hop flavors together with hints of sweet malty flavors provide for a nice nose. Alcohol isn't all that noticeable.

T/M - The initial flavor is that of pine/earthy hops. The beer quickly balances out as the roasted malts and a sweet almost fruity flavor enter the palate. The beer finishes creamy and slightly bitter with a hint of roast at the end. It's on the lighter end of a medium body and hides the alcohol very well. Very good.

D - Well I gone through 5 bottles before reviewing! It's extremely drinkable.

Overall, this is an outstanding brew and I highly recommend it. I wish they'd release all year instead of as a Mountain Standard release...will cross my fingers.

Reviewed on: 01-28-2011 16:30:53

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Exceptional blend of roasted malts and hops. Enjoy any chance you get.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into NBB snifter.
A: Pours a nice dark blackish brown with 2-3 inch creamy tan head. Excellent retention and decent lacing.
S: Very nice here...moderately sharp piney hops, sweet cream, hint of citrus hops...very fresh and herbal.
T: A quick shot of piney hops up front is quickly balanced by roasted caramel malt...perfection in balance. Then notes of coffee and cream, bitter medicinal herbs, and sweet milk and melon emerge (in that order).
M: Astringent and bitter (hops) at first, giving way to a sweet and creamy feel in the middle. The finish keeps the milky sweetness and adds back in the hoppy bitterness for a great balance to end. The aftertaste brings a smoky mild alcohol burn. Light-medium feel (certainly feels lighter than the ABV).
D: Simply a tremendous brew and hands down my favorite DBIPA. Seek it out! Very interesting and good complexity. Very drinkable (esp for ABV). Wish I had another bottle.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very good example of the style. Certainly a sipper though ;)

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%

Served in a tulip glass. Beige head leaves a coating of lace. Near black color where no light passes.

Even with a full glass the flavor is strong. There are elements of evergreen, chocolate and a touch of sourness. Mildly prickly.

A phenomenal, slightly different beer: Starts with a light brown sugar sweetness. There's a toasty flavor as well. Slowly, the bittering hop takes over; peppery and spicy. Warm alcohol in the swallow. Long, well-balanced aftertaste. The body is neutral/ the carbonation high.

4.61/5  rDev +9.5%

While I really couldn't imagine saying a negative word about Odell, this beer does not compare to Sublimely Self Righteous. There, that is as negative as I can get. What a lovely, deliciously hoppy brew! Another wonderful job by our friends up in Fort Collins!

4.61/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a near black with just a light hinge of brown, half finger of tan head, nice lacing

Smell is well very nice, like mix of Myrcenary and a imperial stout, tropical at first with a lot of pineapple and oranges then turns in to a roasted note, chocolate, espresso, and more chocolate

Taste is like a spicy and piney hoppy imperial stout, you do get a little orange citrus that mixed with a chocolate very nicely, cocoa, vanilla, pine, pineapple, spruce and a light toffee, you can feel the alcohol ever so lightly in the finish.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side, not quite like some big stouts but certainly higher then most DIPAs, medium light carbonation, slight dryness on the backend

Wow, I thought New Glarus Black Top had its self together as far as the blending of the styles goes. This is quite a bit bigger beer, but it is in perfect harmony between hops, malt, alcohol presence and feel. Really good stuff. I am trying this for the first time and it is 5 days before its best by date, I know it is not that old but I do wonder if I would like it as much fresh with more of a hop bite, either way I am glad I was able to get some for 6.50 a 4 pack!

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Black glass denies light even at the edges. Holds a thin ropey tan foam head that sticks to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Black IPA profile, heavy west coast hops with a toasted to burnt full base malt. Both knobs turned to 11.

Taste: The two monsters of malt and hop crash into and mostly dampen the other, leaving a strange, powerful balance. The hops eventually burn through the sweet barleywine strength malt and start a long, slow, oily burn that encourages the next sweet, extinguishing sip.

Feel: Prickly carbonation in a heavy beer, there's enough depth that it doesn't go fizzy, and goes a bit creamy. There is alcoholic heat, but it's just a spice in the hop oil numbing. A bit of a lip smacking chew.

Overall: Moar Kudos for Odell. MOAR ODELL!
A beast of a beer, but so much good flavor, if there's a flaw it is drowned out by the intensity of what's going on. This is like getting two beers, a roasted barleywine, and a super fresh IPA. If you like the style, this is a much try.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into a Nonic pint glass two weeks before the best by date.

A - Pours dark chocolate brown - nearly black, opaque with two finger khaki head. As the head recedes it leaves creamy lacing along the sides and thins to a creamy thick 1/4 inch head with in minutes.

S - Pleasant floral hop aroma dominates. Roasted malt goodness is detectable, but the american hop profile is the star.

T - A wonderful balance of american hop (floral/citrus) and chocolate and caramel malts. A Few drinks in the 9.5% alcohol begins to peak out, but not in an entirely unpleasant way - more warming sensation with the roasted malts.

M - Comfortably in the medium body range with creamy texture and a slight bite of hops, well balanced mouthfeel with a lingering creamy coating on the tongue.

O - One of the better beers I've had recently and certainly a top contender for the Odell brews. I bought this because I've always been happy with the Odell stuff and this certainly has not let me down. This is the first I've tried Double Black IPA and I hope all other examples are equally delicious in this style.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A seasonal favorite here in Colorado and elsewhere:

A: Dark, sexy, and nice off-white thick lacing bubbles.

S: Roasted malts, sweet, and hoppiness,

T: Roasted, slight smokey/malty and hoppy.

M: Bitter and robust; hoppy, dark, and malty.

O: Great beer. Classic Colorado brew! A legend!!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

People tend to get intimidated with the name (Double Black IPA). However the black part of this beer tones down the hoppiness allowing this beer to be very drinkable. Lots of flavor and lots of alcohol (9.5% ABV) makes this among the top of my list.

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from FremontBar. THANKS! I miss me some Odell.

Ap. - Deepest brilliant brown. Fluffy khaki head. Excellent lacing.

Ar. - Light citrus hops, a touch of pine and roast.

T. - The roast is nearly unnoticeable with all the citrus hops. Tangerine, grapefruit, hint of charred pineapple. Toasty bread, clean malt and hint of smoke. Complex!

M. - Medium bodied. Low carbonation. Touch of alcohol burn.

O. - One of my favorite Odell seasonals. A standout even with their stellar line up.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 12oz bottle to a Smutty pint glass.

Appearance- Very dark amber/black with one finger creamy head. Tons of lacing.

Smell- Piney hops. Dark roasted malts. Chocolate and coffee bitterness. Grass.

Taste- Bitter chocolate. Coffee. Earthy hops. Roasty malts. Nice bitter finish. Slight booze at the back of my throat.

Mouthfeel- Ridiculously smooth. Creamy with some mild carbonation. Like drinking a porter.

Overall- This is what a black IPA should be like. Beautiful cross between a porter and an IPA.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle with pry-off cap poured into a tulip glass with a best by date of 02/05/2015

Appearance: Pours a deep mahogany with ruby highlights and ample head

Smell: Pleasant mint, roasted notes and some floral hops

Taste: Incredible balance with roasted chocolate malt and hop citrus and faint sweetness on the end with the high ABV

Mouthfeel: Light and dry considering the ABV

Overall: A fantastic Black IPA. Impressive considering I am enjoying this past the best by date. The high ABV provides some warmth but does not overpower. All of the components are balanced very well.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz bottle from my four pack. thank you to my friend at quail creek for saving for me!

A- very dark almost black with a slight red hue. good tan head and lacing

S- big wet hops is the first thing i get. then some chocolate and dark fruits like plum come though for me.

T- Dam this is good! super clean hops with nice malt back. fruit comes though as it warms a little.

M- really good, not to thin but not super thick either

O- I love this beer. so happy odell put this into four packs this year. you would never know this beer is 9.5% ABV by drinking it! possibly deadly in the wrong hands (mine included lol)

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Gorgeous beer! Meringue-like creamy head, beautiful lace, and deep mahogany color. Nose is a delight with some enticing chocolate, mixed fruit, and soft herbal notes. On the palate there's a well orchestrated balance of roasty and hoppy flavors, with the citrus hops carrying into the finish nicely.

Mountain Standard Double Black IPA from Odell Brewing Company